Chinese Carbon fatty - Page 4- Mtbr.com
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davedivided View Post
    Thats the one.

I will upload and image later if you would like.
    Here is the built version of that frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese Carbon fatty-img_3231.jpg  

Loser
    Nice. That price seems about right, keep us updated as you go through the build process!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Sorry, I can't get to the website. Are they selling it with a carbon fork? If yes, what's the combo frame/fork price? How soon can/will your order? Keep us posted.

mtbr member
    that is exactly the same frame that i posted picture of not long ago. it could be also purchased from speeder cycler an xmiplay for the same price. both also offer another fat frame, the one with mysterious 190mmx12mm rear axle. carbon fork with 135 spacing can be had too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    that is exactly the same frame that i posted picture of not long ago. it could be also purchased from speeder cycler an xmiplay for the same price. both also offer another fat frame, the one with mysterious 190mmx12mm rear axle. carbon fork with 135 spacing can be had too.
    I am going to Western Union the cash next week. I am getting the 135mm fork. No Sussy fork for me. Colorado Locals can contact me if interested in ordering, as there is pretty decent volume discount and shipping savings. (Is that legal at this forum, I am NOT selling these)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    So $480 for frame and fork? Anyways, let us know your total out of pocket from them with shipping and all if you don't mind.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Oh... western union. I'm glad you're the guinea pig. I'm too paranoid to wire money to an unheard of company.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    So $480 for frame and fork? Anyways, let us know your total out of pocket from them with shipping and all if you don't mind.
    Fork is another $120. They told me shipping is $95, that seems a little steep. I will have to look up how much they charged me to ship my 9er.

mtbr member
    I have a BB question..Most of these carbon fatties are listing there BB shell width as 120mm. Aren't most BB spindles for fatties sized for 100mm. Or at least with my limited knowledge and research that is what I see. I did not build my Pugs myself but it seems to me the Howitzer was 100mm???

mtbr member
    I have a BB question..Most of these carbon fatties are listing there BB shell width as 120mm. Aren't most BB spindles for fatties sized for 100mm. Or at least with my limited knowledge and research that is what I see. I did not build my Pugs myself but it seems to me the Howitzer was 100mm???
    You know you are a Goof when you quote your own post.

So in review of bottom brackets shells, 100mm = rear spacing of 170/190mm, 120mm = rear spacing of 190/197mm. Can someone tell me what these numbers mean in gearing and wheel configuration? My desire is to build a triple and nine rear.
    I am comparing two fat frames from speedercycling.com FB01, and FB02. I thought that I was sure of what I was going to do framewise until I started looking at crank and BB combos and I did see much in the way of 120mm gear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    i've emailed hong fu about their frame will be ready soon, which sounds good timing to get other bits together

aka bOb
    You know you are a Goof when you quote your own post.

So in review of bottom brackets shells, 100mm = rear spacing of 170/190mm, 120mm = rear spacing of 190/197mm. Can someone tell me what these numbers mean in gearing and wheel configuration? My desire is to build a triple and nine rear.
    I am comparing two fat frames from speedercycling.com FB01, and FB02. I thought that I was sure of what I was going to do framewise until I started looking at crank and BB combos and I did see much in the way of 120mm gear.
    The Beargrease is also listed as being a 121mm bottom bracket but is a press fit and I believe normal 100mm cranks fit. Kinda makes sense so maybe a 120mm would take the same crank just with internal bearings?

mtbr member
    dave, did you manage to get any info from them on max tire clearances? does it come with rear axle? i was told both yes and no.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    The Beargrease is also listed as being a 121mm bottom bracket but is a press fit and I believe normal 100mm cranks fit. Kinda makes sense so maybe a 120mm would take the same crank just with internal bearings?
    The specs are calling the BB Shell BSA which is threaded.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    i maybe wrong but it looked like a race face crankset in the one pic. so it might be a typo or miscommunication.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    i maybe wrong but it looked like a race face crankset in the one pic. so it might be a typo or miscommunication.
    That would be my guess.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    That would be my guess.
    I have ordered and received this frame. I am building it up now.
    It is if very good quality, fit and finish is very good.

Mine has a 197 mm rear spacing. Front spacing is 135 with their fork. It indeed has threaded BSA bb, not press fit as they said. This is a big problem because it is 121 mm wide. When you add the cups it becomes over 140 mm wide. All fat cranks commonly available won't fir. Except the long spindle raceface and mwod moon lander cranks.i have managed to fit the raceface using a rotor bb30 adapter and sram bb30 spacers, since the 2x10 mm spacers included will not work since the bb is so wide.
    The crank in the picture is made by a Chinese manufacturer, and is not easily obtainable. Here is their website
    Chuan Wei Industrial Co., Ltd.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Any other updates on these frames?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Not to side track the link but I'm wondering if there is any talk about a full suspension carbon fiber frame set from one of these manufactures? I know it's early in the game on the suspension side of fat but I'm as interested in a 197 rear spaced FS as I am a superlight hardtail Carbon fatty.

Yes I know that I'm a sick sick man but I'm having so much fun on my Bigfoot that I'm already looking at the next evolution.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrickyDick View Post
    Any other updates on these frames?
    I am ordering the FB02 from speedercycling.com. I chose this frame cause I didn't want to deal with finding a 120mm BB. Lazy I guess, but also going to run a 9 rear so and use hub that I already own. I will add more when i get my frame in 30 days.

DB

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Nice! That is what I am looking to order. Pls update when you receive the frame. Much apperciated.

I am ordering the FB02 from speedercycling.com. I chose this frame cause I didn't want to deal with finding a 120mm BB. Lazy I guess, but also going to run a 9 rear so and use hub that I already own. I will add more when i get my frame in 30 days.

DB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrickyDick View Post
    Nice! That is what I am looking to order. Pls update when you receive the frame. Much apperciated.
    FB2 was my pick too, but can not quite digest its weird rear spacing (12x190). please post impressions once you get it.

mtbr member
    I asked the factory to make the thru axle samples for the IP-010 frame , IP-018 fat carbon frame and FK-018 carbon fat bike fork.

As soon as the frame and forks are available, I will have them to be tested, and then I will ask the factory to make the axles in black color.

The IP-010 in 17'' and IP-018 in 18'' will be available in 20 days

IP-010 is for 190x12 rear, IP-018 is for 192x12 rear, FK-018 is for 135x15

These axles are made in same factory as the axles for 100x15 mountain bicycle fork and 142x12 thru axle frames, they are light and stiff

See the attached pictures of the sample axles, and pictures for FK-052 29er fork with 15mm axle, and IP-057 29er frame with rear 142*12mm axle

Email: [email protected]
    Chinese Carbon fatty-ip-018.jpgChinese Carbon fatty-ip-010.jpgChinese Carbon fatty-img_1531.jpgChinese Carbon fatty-img_1527.jpgChinese Carbon fatty-img_1528.jpgChinese Carbon fatty-img_1529.jpgChinese Carbon fatty-img_1530.jpgChinese Carbon fatty-img_6508.jpgChinese Carbon fatty-img_5825.jpg

mtbr member
    Cool. I want a 12/190 and a 15/135! What is the turn around on the fabrication time to deliver?

DB

mtbr member
    ok cool, nowdoes anzone know what rear hubs available in US are compatible with 12x190?

peter, when are other ip010 sizes going to be available?

also wandering how calves has already received the frame when its not available yet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Here is a pic. Waiting on the carbon wheels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese Carbon fatty-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    This is the finished wheel set. They are waiting on the axles. Should be here next week. I'll post more info including weights and ride report then.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese Carbon fatty-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by calves2997 View Post
    This is the finished wheel set. They are waiting on the axles. Should be here next week. I'll post more info including weights and ride report then.
    Where did you order your wheels?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterQ520 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5825.JPG 
Views:	2108 
Size:	180.4 KB 
ID:	896124

That looks exactly like my LaMere carbon fatty.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    calves, are you saying that raceface 120mm bb will not fit?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    What width are those rims?
    Cheers
    Ip

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post

weird, the frame calves received does not seem to have slightly curved top tube.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post

That's what I was thinking when I first saw it
    It's got the lamere look about it
    Cheers
    Ip

mtbr member
    May 2014
    weird, the frame calves received does not seem to have slightly curved top tube.
    Yes
    It might just be the angle of the pic but calves seems to be a totally different frame or top tube at least
    Cheers
    Ip

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yeah, I noticed that, the LaMere has a nice gradual "curve" to it with the top-tube and seat-stays, the picture looks like this, the frame received does not exactly. Probably the same factory at the least.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ironpo View Post
    Yes
    It might just be the angle of the pic but calves seems to be a totally different frame or top tube at least
    If I am not mistaken, the frame Calves received is from a different factory/seller than the frame Jayem claims looks like the Lamere bike. They look different because they are two different frames from two different places/sellers. Am I wrong about this?

Edit: I see below that I am wrong about this. I got lost in the confusion. Carry on.
    Last edited by Slow Danger; 05-27-2014 at 08:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    No the raceface will fit, but not with their spacers. Need 5mm of spacers on both sides not 10. Also because it uses a bb30 spindle I needed to get a BSA to bb30 cups, from rotor.
    Rims are 65mm.
    The top tube is not curved, but the pictured frame appears to be larger than mine (18).
    It will also fit the bluto fork. I ordered that last week, getting another wheel built with the 150 hub, and will put it on in a bit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hi calves - which rims and hubs did you use - I'm looking for a 65mm carbon rim, many thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Futon River Crossing View Post
    Hi calves - which rims and hubs did you use - I'm looking for a 65mm carbon rim, many thanks!
    This would bE good to know

Also reading back the frame with the curved top tube seems to be a 29er frame
    Maybe Peter will chime in and clear this up
    Cheers
    Ip

mtbr member
    May 2014

DB
    im interested in this frame also
    do you know if the sram XX1 crank will work with this frames BB (100mm)?
    cheers
    IP

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    It will also fit the bluto fork. I ordered that last week, getting another wheel built with the 150 hub, and will put it on in a bit.
    Another option is to get a 150x15mm spaced carbon fork. That would be cheaper than a 2nd front wheel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ironpo View Post
    That's what I was thinking when I first saw it
    It's got the lamere look about it
    Cheers
    Ip

FYI folks

If you read Peter's post a little more carefully you'll see that he was using a picture of an ip-256 (a 29'er NOT a fat bike) to illustrate the use of the the new through axles they have .

That is why it looks different

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I got the frame and wheels from Full Carbon bike.

The frame and wheel turnaround was 30 days. Once shipped they reached me in california in 3 days!
    Rims are 200 per. I paid extra 30 to get them and the frame painted Matt black.
    Hubs are the new novatec 190/135 through axle. Total cost for the wheels was just 600. Same as the price of the frame set.

When I ordered it there was no word on the new front hub spacing. May have to look into the 150 spaced carbon fork.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Biker View Post
    FYI folks

If you read Peter's post a little more carefully you'll see that he was using a picture of an ip-256 (a 29'er NOT a fat bike) to illustrate the use of the the new through axles they have .

That is why it looks different

Yes
    That does seem to be the case
    Cheers
    Ip

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I think I figured out another hub option for anyone looking at one of these 190x12mm rear spaced frames.

Hope offers a 190mm QR or 197x12mm fatsno hubs. However, because the fatsno hubs now use the standard hope pro 2 evo end caps, 190x12mm is possible. Simply use the 135x12mm end caps on a 190mm shell and bam! 190x12mm.

Or at least it seems good in theory. Is this correct?

Here are some comparison pictures of those caps.

Quick release cap:
    Name:  qrcap.jpg
Views: 1769
Size:  18.7 KB

x12 cap for 142mm/177mm/197mm
    Name:  197x12.jpg
Views: 1820
Size:  15.1 KB

12mm cap for 135mm but should also work for 170mm or 190mm
    Name:  135x12.jpg
Views: 1794
Size:  14.5 KB

mtbr member
    dfiler, great, looks like this could work. i was thinking i will be filing down 12x197cups.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Many thanks - I think I will be ordering one of those rims for my Jones

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    dfiler, great, looks like this could work. i was thinking i will be filing down 12x197cups.
    I'm gonna call it confirmed that hope fatsno evo pro 2 hubs work with 190x12mm frames. This is a relief because such a frame is on its way to me right now and I already had the fatsno hub.

Check out how the 12mm (not x12) caps compare to the QR caps.

Chinese Carbon fatty-img_7701.jpg
    Chinese Carbon fatty-img_7683.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
    I'm gonna call it confirmed that hope fatsno evo pro 2 hubs work with 190x12mm frames. This is a relief because such a frame is on its way to me right now and I already had the fatsno hub.

thanks again, have you ordered one of those fb02 frames?

mtbr member

Speedercycling

Speeder will be able to deliver these in 60 days compatible with their FB02 frame:Chinese Carbon fatty-speeder-inovahubs.jpg
    Per their rep via email to me today.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Speeder will be able to deliver these in 60 days compatible with their FB02 frame:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	speeder Inovahubs.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	897213
    Per their rep via email to me today.
    If I read that right column correctly, and the resolution is terrible on my tablet, much of the weight you save on the carbon frame will come back at you in these 790g hubs.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

what are you using for through axle? are there any available in 12x190?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    If I read that right column correctly, and the resolution is terrible on my tablet, much of the weight you save on the carbon frame will come back at you in these 790g hubs.
    Gosh, I've had an idea.

How about they offset the left chainstay a few mm, and then we could use light 135mm hubs.

Amazing no-one has thought of that. It would be a genuine innovation and we would all be grateful for the opportunity to use hubgears too.*

(*I couldn't find a smiley for tongue firmly in cheek )
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Any bike, anywhere, anytime.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cavo View Post
    what are you using for through axle? are there any available in 12x190?
    That's something that could be a hassle. I'm having the supplier ship me the frame even though the axles aren't ready or perhaps sourced yet.

Once it is in hand I can measure the tread pitch and figure out a solution in case the axle never comes through. Worst case scenario is getting a machine shop to shorten an axle intended for use on a 197mm spaced frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I asked the factory to make the thru axle samples for the IP-010 frame , IP-018 fat carbon frame and FK-018 carbon fat bike fork.

As soon as the frame and forks are available, I will have them to be tested, and then I will ask the factory to make the axles in black color.

The IP-010 in 17'' and IP-018 in 18'' will be available in 20 days

IP-010 is for 190x12 rear, IP-018 is for 192x12 rear, FK-018 is for 135x15

These axles are made in same factory as the axles for 100x15 mountain bicycle fork and 142x12 thru axle frames, they are light and stiff

See the attached pictures of the sample axles, and pictures for FK-052 29er fork with 15mm axle, and IP-057 29er frame with rear 142*12mm axle

Name:	IMG_1528.JPG 
Views:	241 
Size:	184.8 KB 
ID:	896120
    Are those frames sold with axles included?

Also, I might need to buy a 190x12mm axle separately. Do you know if the axles will be available for purchase separately?

Loser
    I'm surprised they didn't use standard dimensions for the rear spacing, I was convinced this was a translation issue, not an actual dimension issue! I know there's a lot of confusion around those standards, but certainly there are other through axle frames out there to base this off to ensure buyers can use standard hubs and axles. Having to buy one-off hubs and figure out axles is more than a little ridiculous.

mtbr member
    salted bikes offer their frame with 12x190 spacing, axle included. maybe it is worth to ask them where they source their axle.

aka bOb
    If the threads are right because there is several different ones you could always just add some threads on to one of these. www.paragonmachineworks.com - SH003Shimano197mmx12mmSkewerforFatBike

mtbr member
    Does anyone know if the Circus Monkey people make 190mm spacing rear hubs? I have been trolling other threads and seen the name pop up on some 29r threads but none here.
    I have seen their hardware up close and it looks really good and is quite light weight as well.
    DB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    Shame, can't be correct!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Well - I've ordered a 65mm wide carbon rim for my Jones, hopefully it will be in the region of 350g lighter than my current rim )

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Futon River Crossing View Post
    Well - I've ordered a 65mm wide carbon rim for my Jones, hopefully it will be in the region of 350g lighter than my current rim )
    Let us know how long it takes to arrive. I'm interested in the rims as well. Plus, if anyone gets one in their hands, please post pics.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Chinese Carbon fatty-image.jpgChinese Carbon fatty-image.jpgChinese Carbon fatty-image.jpgChinese Carbon fatty-image.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	451 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	898822Click image for larger version. 

Views:	1012 
Size:	145.2 KB 
ID:	898823Click image for larger version. 

Views:	857 
Size:	131.6 KB 
ID:	898824Click image for larger version. 

Views:	2916 
Size:	146.8 KB 
ID:	898821
    Let us know how long it takes to arrive. I'm interested in the rims as well. Plus, if anyone gets one in their hands, please post pics.
    Almost finished, just waiting fir the xd1 driver.

Wheels / tires are the easiest to setup tubeless I have ever done. I small rim strip of 2 inch gorilla tape, and that's it. Feels very light, I will have my lbs weigh it once I take it in for final adjustments.

mtbr member
    May 2014

ID:	898821Click image for larger version. 

Wheels / tires are the easiest to setup tubeless I have ever done. I small rim strip of 2 inch gorilla tape, and that's it. Feels very light, I will have my lbs weigh it once I take it in for final adjustments.
    Wow
    That looks so cool
    Would it be possible for you to list what parts/rims/tyres/frame and bits of pieces you used for the build just to give myself and others an idea of what works with what on our own Chinese build fatty
    (it would save having to scroll through the 26 pages of this thread :-))
    Cheers
    Ip

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Looks good, Calves. Thanks for posting.

Edit: Hey, it only took 27 pages to get an actual, in-the-flesh, Chinese Carbon Fatty to show up on mtbr.

mtbr member
    how is rear tire clearance (and front ). 65mmrim with 4" wee tire and it looks tight. it might be the picture angle though. i see they list 5" tire clearance for this frame. you think 5" tire on 80-90mm rim would fit? or at least 4.8" tire?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

ID:	898821Click image for larger version. 

looks good. good to hear that rims work tubeless too. anyone else pulled trigger on one of these frames?

Loser
    Love to see the build kit, cost and total weight.

mtbr member
    Me gusta!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Looks good, Calves. Thanks for posting.

Edit: Hey, it only took 27 pages to get an actual, in-the-flesh, Chinese Carbon Fatty to show up on mtbr.
    You need fatties in the flesh?

Enjoy.

Chinese Carbon fatty-img_7951.jpg

Chinese Carbon fatty-img_7960.jpg

mtbr member

Enjoy.

Name:	IMG_7951.jpg 
Views:	1031 
ID:	899253

Name:	IMG_7960.jpg 
Views:	502 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	899254
    c'mon, more

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Enjoy.
    Tease. Get back to me when you're ready to give up the goods.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    c'mon, more
    +1 +build list!

mtbr member
    I have just ordered a speedercycling FB02(Fatback looking) frame and fork. I opted for the 170mm rear with dropouts. I did this drop selection because it seems that there are more inexpensive hub options (CHEAP) than for through axle and 190mm. I also have big feet and was worried about banging my heel on my chainstay or derailleur. I am told that my bike should be shipping in twenty days.

I am looking at the one and only picture I have of the frame, there are several posted in this thread so no need to repeat that, and I am wondering how the heck a person installs a front derailleur on this frame since the location where I would expect to mount a derailleur is radiused?? I guess I will find out soon enough, or not!

I noticed that someone on Ebay is selling fatty wheel sets with rediculously large rim cut outs with 170 mm rear spacing for under $500 for the set?? Has anyone purchased, used, or otherwised beta'd these. Link: Fat Tire Bike 100 mm Black Wheel Set with Cut Outs 170 mm Rear Hub | eBay

Time to go for a ride.

DB

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    that's the extremefattire guy in florida. i emailed about the weight and their supposedly 1200fr and 1400r. i'd like to get a set of the rims next week.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Enjoy.

Name:	IMG_7951.jpg 
Views:	1031 
ID:	899253

Name:	IMG_7960.jpg 
Views:	502 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	899254
    thought you were going to get 190 spaced frame. this looks like the other one ?(197mm)

bigger than you.
    that's the extremefattire guy in florida. i emailed about the weight and their supposedly 1200fr and 1400r. i'd like to get a set of the rims next week.
    Caveat emptor: the extreme guy has done or is doing time for fraud. Given that he has onlyva 75% positive rating and only 4 transactions, buy from him at your own risk. I have hundreds of transactions on ebay, buying and selling and a 100% rating. It's pretty hard to get negative feedback unless you're doing something shady. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    Caveat emptor: the extreme guy has done or is doing time for fraud. Given that he has onlyva 75% positive rating and only 4 transactions, buy from him at your own risk. I have hundreds of transactions on ebay, buying and selling and a 100% rating. It's pretty hard to get negative feedback unless you're doing something shady. YMMV.
    Ouch! I don't need that kind of risk. I will be glad to buy from someone reliable for a little more. Like Bikewagon or some other big Ebay seller.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hon much these carbon fatty framesets costs?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I am looking at buying a import carbon fatty for riding on sand and just wondering who is reliable to buy off and what should I be looking at. I want a through axle on the back and probably a 15mm on the front and want to run a 1x10 drivetrain. I have read this forum and searched the net and there seems to be a lot of choices and wondering to benefit from your experiences cheers guys

mtbr member
    interesting, corvus knock off. or is it actual fatback image? 190 rear however.
    rest of the images look more like whiteout frame. confusing again

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Interesting indeed. The main photo for that bike looks similar to the corvus. However all the remaining photos and geometry diagrams are of a different, less angular frame that looks closer to a whiteout. That's a good thing because in my opinion the angular frame is ugly. If someone were looking for a cheap carbon fatty, the YS-FM079 (FM079+FK079) would be my recommendation (assuming this refers to the curvy frame). 150mm spaced fork, internal derailer cable routing, nice lines, etc.

More pictures and specs for my build will be posted in the coming weeks. Not quite ready to blow the lid off it yet.

mtbr member
    so which frame did you ended up with?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    My 65mm rim has landed in the Uk - less than a week to get here. No idea how long it will be in customs though

mtbr member
    ok, so to follow up, i have contacted yishunbike about the frame listed on alibaba (the one that looked like corvus on one image and whiteout on another)

here is what i got back from them, saying that it is available now. yes, yet another different frame. i have sent another email back asking for more info.

how to print screen on pc

image upload

Loser
    I'll be interested to hear how they got that spokeless wheel design to work, the matching color between the frame and tire looks interesting too. :-)

What's the rear spacing on that frame?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post

What's the rear spacing on that frame?
    doesnt say of course . it was one of the questions i asked. they are terribly slow to answer back, sort of steers me away from dealing with these guys.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Being unresponsive would make me apprehensive to buy from them too.

The spacing might not be a problem though. For example, I bought hope hubs because they can do 190xQR, 190x12mm and 197x12mm simply by switching end caps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    My 65mm rim finally arrived! It weighs exactly 540g - so 360g lighter than my Jones rim quality looks very nice. The only issue I can see, is that the need hook is very, very thin, probably less than 1mm, I have no experience with carbon, but this's looks very vulnerable to a rim strike now we don't get much snow round here, and there are no rocks about, and I'll probably run 8psi, so I'm hoping there won't be any rim strikers - but it'll always be there in my mind. I can' think I've ever had a rim strike come to think of it, fingers crossed!

I reckon these'll be snap to setup tubeless, as the tyre fits snugly to the rim.

It'll be a couple of weeks before I get it built up, and I've got an injury, so it'll be even longer before I get to ride it, but I'll let you guys know when I do.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I have finished mine up! Couldn't get a working xd1 driver so it's setup with xt 1x10 with a wolf tooth 40 rear. Weighs 25 pounds, and is a blast to ride!
    Rims are very easy to setup tubeless, and much lighter and stronger than my single walled rd or mls.

mtbr member
    Iplay IP-018 carbon fat bike frame in 18'' with BSA and FK-018 carbon fat bike fork in UD matt are available in stock now

2014 carbon fat bike frame IP-018 and FK-018 fat bike fork-Xiamen Iplay Sporting Goods Co.,Ltd.

IP-018 is for 197x12 only
    FK-018 is for 135x15

Here are some pictures for reference:
    Chinese Carbon fatty-ip-018-geometry.jpgChinese Carbon fatty-img_7320.jpgChinese Carbon fatty-img_7322.jpgChinese Carbon fatty-fk-018-weight.jpgChinese Carbon fatty-img_7296.jpgChinese Carbon fatty-img_7297.jpgChinese Carbon fatty-img_7306.jpgChinese Carbon fatty-img_7317.jpgChinese Carbon fatty-img_7304.jpgChinese Carbon fatty-img_7318.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese Carbon fatty-ip-018-18-weight.jpg  

Last edited by PeterQ520; 06-19-2014 at 02:23 AM.

squish, squish in da fish
    I have finished mine up! Couldn't get a working xd1 driver so it's setup with xt 1x10 with a wolf tooth 40 rear. Weighs 25 pounds, and is a blast to ride!
    Rims are very easy to setup tubeless, and much lighter and stronger than my single walled rd or mls.
    where's the pics? 28 pages and 1 mystical fatty has been built

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    That looks great Peter. Do you have pricing for the frame/fork complete? Do the thru axles come with the frame and can you supply hubs to suit this frame and fork?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shanesbw View Post
    That looks great Peter. Do you have pricing for the frame/fork complete? Do the thru axles come with the frame and can you supply hubs to suit this frame and fork?
    Thanks
    Thanks Shanesbw, you have to separately order the frameset and thru axles, because some guys may not choose our axles when they order the frameset. Now we are producing the thru axles in black color and more suitable for the frame and fork, you know, color and suitable lengths, suitable thread.

What thru axles you saw from the pictures are samples only, new thru axles will be available in 10 days.

Please feel free to contact me if you had any question

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    When will the 16'' frame be available?

Chris.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Sorry for the quality of the pics. Bike is dirty from riding. Steerer will be cut once I figure out the fit.Chinese Carbon fatty-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by krzysiekmz View Post
    When will the 16'' frame be available?

Chris.
    Size 16'' will be available in 35 days

PCT
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Looks awesome. IDK if these question have been asked already, but:

Will it accommodate 29+ and Bluto fork? What about 5" rear tire? Price for frame only?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The build is getting closer! Still missing a few key parts though.

Thoughts so far... Race face next sl cranks are amazing. 35mm clamp easton haven stem, also amazing. This fattie is getting ridiculous.

Chinese Carbon fatty-img_8524.jpg

mtbr member

Thoughts so far... Race face next sl cranks are amazing. 35mm clamp easton haven stem, also amazing. This fattie is getting ridiculous.

Name:	IMG_8524.jpg 
Views:	796 
Size:	169.3 KB 
ID:	902551
    My pants just got a lot tighter.

I probably missed it but what frame are you using? Rims? Looks amazing!
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2019 Salsa Journeyman Apex 650B
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Looks amazing dfiler and I too wish to know from whence it came :-) Please?

nothing to see here
    I just love the drill bit through axle dfiler!
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Sorry for the quality of the pics. Bike is dirty from riding. Steerer will be cut once I figure out the fit.Click image for larger version. 

Views:	425 
Size:	135.2 KB 
ID:	902363
    cool, thanks!

dfiler that looks to be an awesome build and i too like the rock bit thru axle

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks everyone. The frame I have isn't available yet and the details are murky but I will share info when possible.

The matte carbon makes this thing look like a stealth aircraft. Yet instead of stealth, this thing is quite conspicuous. Once covered in mud it ought to be a little less eye catching. As it stands right now, it's going to get more attention than a puppy in the park.

Tonight I plan on trying tubeless with the nextie rims. Or at least the rear, still need a front hub. Word is that qbp has hope 150mm hubs so I'll have to stop by a shop and get one on order. I'll also be building up a less fat wheelset with perhaps 65mm rims and 3" or 4" slick tires of some sort.

My current trail bike is a single speed canfield nimble9 with a pretty ridiculous build and I'm completely in love with it. So I'm curious if this rig will take over completely or if I'll find myself alternating between them on a regular basis.

This will be my first carbon frame. After running light bicycle carbon rims for a few years on that nimble9, I've concluded that I will never buy metal rims again. I've also developed an addiction for carbon bars. Steel frames have always felt good to me so I'm also curious if this carbon frame will cause me to never buy metal frames again. Granted, stiff rims are great but a bit of frame flex can be a good thing at times.

Edit: oh yeah, this is my first bike with internal cable routing. I've seen some frames that fit a small sleeve through the internal routing section. This one appears to only fit the cable. What is the proper way to prep or is there any prep needed for running the rear derailer cable? The cable slides through the frame easily but it doesn't seem like rubbing on carbon is optimal.

mtbr member
    How would you run hydraulic rear brakes?

mtbr member

Name:	IMG_8524.jpg 
Views:	796 
Size:	169.3 KB 
ID:	902551
    this is what i needed to see. ordering one too.

mtbr member

Chinese Carbon fatty

How would you run hydraulic rear brakes?
    He has the caliper mounted. You have to blow up the pic to see it.

My current bike--2014 Trek Fuel EX 8 29er.

aka bOb

Sick looking whip difiler!!

mtbr member
    some detail images of fb02 frame

free image hosting

img host

upload image online

more info for "corvus" frame

image hosting 30 mb
    Last edited by brankulo; 06-26-2014 at 08:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Axles!

My axles are finally here! 190x12mm and 150x15mm.

I've never had a bike with through axles like these. Instead, all my through axles had previously screwed into threads on the drive side dropout in the rear and fork leg in the front. These axles include round nuts with a bit of knurling for better finger grip. It's one more thing to not lose if fixing a flat trailside. It also means that the quick release lever is attached to a relatively thin rod, about the size of a normal QR skewer rod. It would seem better to not rely on something so thin in diameter. But perhaps it is superior in some other way. Or perhaps it doesn't matter.

Thoughts?

It appears that many of the other cheap carbon frames are relying on a similar setup so these may become quite common. Or are they already?

Chinese Carbon fatty-img_8676.jpg

Chinese Carbon fatty-img_8690.jpg

Chinese Carbon fatty-img_8702.jpg

Chinese Carbon fatty-img_8709.jpg

Chinese Carbon fatty-img_8720.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Interesting, I have used thru axels with nuts in an open dropout but not a closed dropout. How many threads are engaged on the front nut? It does not look like very many but maybe it is picture angle.

Cheers!
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76 Flickr

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Ah, good distinction about open and closed dropouts. A nutted through axle in an open dropout is no hassle because the nut is never removed entirely. With closed dropouts like on this bike, the nut must be removed prior to sliding the axle out.

You are correct that the axles don't go all the way through the nuts. They thread in the length of the thicker diameter part of he nut but not the thin part with the knurling. It seems strange but really it is a lot of threaded material. It is more than on a QR skewer or even the axle system on my downhill bike.

Edit: If there is anything to worry about with this design, it is the thin skewer to which the QR lever attaches. If that snaps from over tightening, the axle could theoretically slide out.

mtbr member
    So where did you get these again! I know I saw a post about this somewhere. I am trying to find a 170 rear and a 135 front.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Do they offer these frames with open drop outs? Same question about the fork.

After I looked closer at the photos and I see what you mean about the amount of threads, it looks like it engages all the way to the shoulder on the nut.

The QR lever does look like it could be the week link, having lost a wheel at very high speed because of a broken skewer I do get a little nervous. Back in the nineties American Classic skewers used a small c clip to hold the handle on and mine was pulled off by grass or broke and it allowed the skewer to fail on a very high speed section of the Mount Snow Downhill course. I was very lucky and not hurt very much.

Looks like you will be up and riding soon, looking forward to a ride report.

Cheers,
    Steven

Ah, good distinction about open and closed dropouts. A nutted through axle in an open dropout is no hassle because the nut is never removed entirely. With closed dropouts like on this bike, the nut must be removed prior to sliding the axle out.

You are correct that the axles don't go all the way through the nuts. They thread in the length of the thicker diameter part of he nut but not the thin part with the knurling. It seems strange but really it is a lot of threaded material. It is more than on a QR skewer or even the axle system on my downhill bike.

Edit: If there is anything to worry about with this design, it is the thin skewer to which the QR lever attaches. If that snaps from over tightening, the axle could theoretically slide out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Chinese Carbon fatty

Quote Originally Posted by shoo View Post
    Do they offer these frames with open drop outs? Same question about the fork.

After I looked closer at the photos and I see what you mean about the amount of threads, it looks like it engages all the way to the shoulder on the nut.

Cheers,
    Steven
    Wait a second. On a thru axle the lever is simply a handle that allows you to tighten or loosen the axle. It does not provide any clamping force to keep the wheel attached to the bike. If the handle snaps off or opens something would have to unscrew the bolt from the nut to make it dangerous.

Go look at some of the weight weenie thru axles, they don't even have a handle.

mtbr member
    I have a 177mm x 12mm thru axle with alternator dropouts on the rear of my Mukluk. At first glance it looks like this axle. But when you actually use what looks like a knurled nut on one side is actually fixed to the dropout, it is still there after the axle is removed. And the other side is just a handle used to turn the axle to unscrew it, it doesn't move or have any cam action.

This axle just looks like a poor copy of how a thru axle should work, with some dubious technology adapted from a quick release.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Adroit Rider View Post
    Wait a second. On a thru axle the lever is simply a handle that allows you to tighten or loosen the axle. It does not provide any clamping force to keep the wheel attached to the bike. If the handle snaps off or opens something would have to unscrew the bolt from the nut to make it dangerous.

Not on these through axles. If the small skewer breaks, it allows the cap on the lever end to come off. When that happens, it leaves only the axle. That cap is spring loaded and moves when the lever is actuated.

I'll attempt to disassemble and photograph.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Where did you get the axles from dfiler? Need to order a set for my carbonfatty build..

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The above thru axle's appear to be large diameter QR's The handle has a cam just like a QR and it has a small steel rod going into the large diameter aluminum shaft. It looks under built even by weight weenie standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Adroit Rider View Post

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The axles came with the frame, which is normally how it's done. They're 190x12 and 150x15 so they won't fit most other frames and forks.

I decided not to disassemble the through axles. A set screw in the cam tightens onto the threaded end of the small skewer and removing it would mean trying to unscrew past the marred threads. But there's good news though. It seems that the spring loaded cap (which the QR lever presses against) must be held in place by an internal shoulder on the axle. With the QR lever held away from the cap, the cap still can't be pulled off. That means it wouldn't come off even if the skewer were to break. Now noticing that it is made of two parts (one black, one silver), this make sense. The black piece must slide on from the bolt end of the axle while the silver piece slides on from the QR side.

Even if that wasn't the case, failure seems unlikely because unlike a traditional QR axle system, it doesn't need to be tightened with nearly as much force. While the small diameter is a sub-optimal design, it is extremely unlikely to fail and failure wouldn't mean axle detachment.

My apologies for the momentary excitement over a bad axle system. Hopefully the discussion is entertaining though. That's why I come to these forums at least.

Chinese Carbon fatty-photo-1.jpg

Chinese Carbon fatty-photo-2.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TLundberg View Post
    Where did you get the axles from dfiler? Need to order a set for my carbonfatty build..
    if those came with frame,it is most likely from Q2 cycling, as if i remember correctly, they were going to offer whiteout like looking frame that dfiler has. you might want to check with them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The frame I have is not available anymore. Although it probably will be eventually through another distribution channel.

If all else fails, perhaps a 197x12mm paragon machine works axle might work.
    www.paragonmachineworks.com - SH003Shimano197mmx12mmSkewerforFatBike

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    If all else fails, perhaps a 197x12mm paragon machine works axle might work.
    www.paragonmachineworks.com - SH003Shimano197mmx12mmSkewerforFatBike
    Thanks, I have a F-FB02 frame on order and it's 12x190 at the rear but a 197m axle might work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TLundberg View Post
    Thanks, I have a F-FB02 frame on order and it's 12x190 at the rear but a 197m axle might work.
    so have I. you can contact Peter from xmiplay about axles, he should have them available soon.

btw, dfilers frame is still available through q2, they just wouldnt ship to us, but would ship to any other country. was considering this option as i will need to travel to europe this summer, however the price of frame set (~$900), shipping to europe ($150) and all the hassle associated with bringing it back to us made me decide against it. I played some game of words with q2 person over skype and i am quite positive that at some point, you would be able to get their frame from framed bikes. in form of complete bike that is.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    You could order from ICAN I don't know which frame it is, but they have been happy to ship to the US.

Fat bike 2014 - Shenzhen ICAN Sports Equipment Co., Ltd.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nbwallace View Post
    You could order from ICAN I don't know which frame it is, but they have been happy to ship to the US.

Fat bike 2014 - Shenzhen ICAN Sports Equipment Co., Ltd.
    nb, he is referring to one specific frame (whiteout like design). the frame you linked can be purchased from several websites, ships to US no problem

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Ok. I've seen that frame and it's prettier for sure.

I also noticed that the ETT for the Chinese frame on ICAN's site seems pretty short. The 20" compares to my Large Tallboy, which compares to my 17.5" Fisher Paragon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    i pulled the trigger on f-fb02 frame to,painted in matt white

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Which site did you order from?

Quote Originally Posted by mortenste View Post

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The drivetrain is mounted but I ran into a problem. The chain on the 11 tooth cassette ring is really close to the derailer hanger. The rub is slight and the gear is still technically usable. However I'll figure out a way to space them apart about few more millimeters.

I might get the 197x12mm end caps for the rear hub instead of the 190x12mm caps i'm using now. Then space the brake rotor outboard to make up that 3.5mm.

But at least a Lou on 90mm rims fits the chain line with a good amount of clearance.

Chinese Carbon fatty-img_8788.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    use one 197 end cap or fit a washer in somewhere.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    use one 197 end cap or fit a washer in somewhere.
    I might do that and dish the wheel to compensate. Problem is that spacing the rear to 197 makes the axle too short. It'll probably require just the drive side 197 cap ground down to 1.5mm extra rather than 3.5mm then some judicial dremeling of the derailer hanger should make it perfect.

This probably isn't representative of most chinese fatties. Once they sell in higher volume, this kind of thing gets worked out.

mtbr member
    i had to do some grinding to fit front derailleur on top brand bike once, was told it was stacking tolerances problem . whatever. not a big deal i guess

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by neons97 View Post
    Which site did you order from?
    Speedercycling.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    hi Peter, is this a 26" or 29" Frame?

Suddenly feeling my age..
    Hey All. I've looked extensively (Alibaba etc) and trawled through this thread (& others) but haven't been able to find what I'm after. I wonder if anyone can help? What I want in a carbon fatty frameset is:

* ~600TT
    * Geo based on a ~ 470mm fork for Bluto compatibility
    * 100mm BSA BB
    * 450mm (or shorter) chainstays
    * 70 degree head angle
    * 12 x 190 or 197 rear spacing
    * 15 x 150 fork spacing

It looks to me like you can get a frame with short chainstays but a 68 degree (walking pace) head angle OR something with a decent 'trail-bike' head angle (70 degrees) but long (468mm) chainstays. Very frustrating. Also, what's with these bloody 120mm BSA BB's??? Help!
    Wanted:

Marzocchi Star Fork
    Nishiki Aliens

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    For me, 68 head angle is for a trail bike while 70 is more old school or light xc oriented. Short chainstays tend to be paired with slack head angles because that's a good match for aggressive/playful riding.

My bike has a 100mm BB and uses 10mm collars between the cranks and bearing cups. A 120mm BB frame would do away with those spacers and use a longer internal sleeve. The axle length is unchanged. It actually makes more sense for 190mm spaced frames but is admittedly more rare right now.

I agree, the choices are limited and I too couldn't get the exact ego I wanted. I would have preferred shorter chainstays. But for now the choice for me was to ride the best compromise or not ride a fatbike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Iplay IP-018 carbon fat bike frame in 18'' with BSA and FK-018 carbon fat bike fork in UD matt are available in stock now

2014 carbon fat bike frame IP-018 and FK-018 fat bike fork-Xiamen Iplay Sporting Goods Co.,Ltd.

IP-018 is for 197x12 only
    FK-018 is for 135x15

Here are some pictures for reference:

Name:	IP-018 geometry.jpg 
Views:	429 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	902169Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7320.JPG 
Views:	267 
Size:	235.8 KB 
ID:	902170Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7322.JPG 
Views:	357 
Size:	201.0 KB 
ID:	902171Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FK-018 weight.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	295.5 KB 
ID:	902172Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7296.JPG 
Views:	309 
Size:	196.9 KB 
ID:	902173Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7297.JPG 
Views:	298 
Size:	199.9 KB 
ID:	902174Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7306.JPG 
Views:	313 
Size:	196.8 KB 
ID:	902176Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7317.JPG 
Views:	437 
Size:	198.3 KB 
ID:	902177Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7304.JPG 
Views:	288 
Size:	195.2 KB 
ID:	902175Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7318.JPG 
Views:	328 
Size:	193.8 KB 
ID:	902178

mtbr member
    ^this

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    has anyone received F-FB02 frame from speedercycling yet?

mtbr member
    Just a thought, the 470mm axle to crown isn't going to help a lot with Bluto compatibility...

Rockshox drawings indicate axle to crown suggestions of:

511mm for 100MM
    and
    491mm for 80MM

Worth noting.

Mr Muru

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by MuruCycles View Post
    Just a thought, the 470mm axle to crown isn't going to help a lot with Bluto compatibility...

Rockshox drawings indicate axle to crown suggestions of:

511mm for 100MM
    and
    491mm for 80MM

Worth noting.

Mr Muru
    Don't forget sag, most recommend 25% which puts the 80mm at about 471mm.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Don't forget sag, most recommend 25% which puts the 80mm at about 471mm.
    Yep, I agree. Sounds about right for the 80mm model.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by towag View Post
    IP-018 and IP-010 are both 26'' frame, no 29'' fat bike frame is available at present.

Now we have IP-018'' in 18'' with 120mm BSA BB and 197x12 rear available in stock, size 16'' will be available in 30 days.

And IP-010 with 100mm BSA BB and 190x12 rear is available in stock as well, size 19'' will be available in 35 days.

Carbon fat bike frameset,Xiamen Iplay Sporting Goods Co.,Ltd.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    now that i have fb02 frame on order, would be interesting to see what build is everyone planing for this frame. i am also asking as i am quite confused with bb and crank options/compatibility . i want to run 1x10 but more i read more i get confused.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    It seems Xmiplay's fat bike rims in good quality, tested well at least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tspu2J5Fxbg

Peter, your company did a great job, I should build up a fat bike too in the near future

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Whats the cost of the fb02 frame?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat-nor View Post
    Whats the cost of the fb02 frame?
    i paid 529$ for frame and fork+shipping,and 35$ for the painting.

mtbr member
    my build so far:
    f-fb02 frame on order
    nextie rims on their way to my house

gonna go 1x10 as well

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Regarding the F-FB02 frame from speedcycling--anyone have it yet, and if so, what is the real story on hub spacing (12x170/12x177). Also, front fork/hub--is it spaced for rear hub disc or front?

In short--what hubs are you using?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    don't have it yet,but spacing is 135/15

mtbr member
    ordered mine with 12x 190 rear, fork is 15x135

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Mean ass mother effin stealth monster fighter truck

Tomorrow is the inaugural ride. Damn I can't wait to ride it.

Chinese Carbon fatty-img_9249.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Mean ass mother effin stealth monster fighter truck

Tomorrow is the inaugural ride. Damn I can't wait to ride it.

Name:	IMG_9249.jpg 
Views:	11741 
Size:	162.4 KB 
ID:	906989
    That is freaking awesome what was the price tag on the frame?

mtbr member
    Dear god that is a sweet looking bike.
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2019 Salsa Journeyman Apex 650B
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8

you sir, did build a mean ass mutha. absolutely beautiful

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Price tag? Buaah hah hah haaaaa.

Seriously, i have no idea. It took months to find, buy, and get everything delivered.

Loser
    Very nice dfiler, looks great ! What's the weight?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Sorry, no idea on the weight either. Maybe that's an excuse to buy a scale. It'll be two pounds lighter when tubeless if that means anything.

mtbr member
    What are running for brakes? I am curious as how you run the hoses if you are using hydraulics. I have the same frame on order and have a set of Magura Marta SLs I want to used.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Those are a somewhat rare OEM model of formulas brakes. I think they're a combination of One calipers and RX levers. Brand should not matter at all in terms of mounting.

The internal routing is only for derailer cables along the top tube. The rear brake line is external so that hydraulics aren't a pain. If not using a front derailer, that internal routing could probably be used for a dropper post.

Some other frames might provide internal rear brake routing though. Normally they make the holes big enough for the banjo fitting that attaches to the brake caliper. When this is the case, there is some type of cap/housing guide where the line passes through the frame. The pivot carbon phoenix is an example of that: Pivot Carbon Phoenix - 33.8 Pound DH Race Bike - Sea Otter 2014 - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Thanks man. I am growing impatient with waiting for Sarah at Speedercycling to tell me that my frame has shipped. Lets remain in touch.

db

Fat & Single
    Very nice dfiler ! Looks awesome.
    Santa Cruz Hightower LT Evil Following Trek 9.9 Superfly SL IndyFab Deluxe 29 Pivot Vault CX Cervelo R3 Disc

aka bOb
    Love it, well done sir!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks man. I am growing impatient with waiting for Sarah at Speedercycling to tell me that my frame has shipped. Lets remain in touch.

db
    No problem. Note that this is a different frame than what you've ordered.

mtbr member
    looks great, this is how i want to do mine, all in matte UD. hopefully it looks this good with corvus frame from speeder too. for now this is my desktop image
    if you dont mind.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    looks great, this is how i want to do mine, all in matte UD. hopefully it looks this good with corvus frame from speeder too. for now this is my desktop image
    if you dont mind.
    how long lead time did they tell you?i have ordered the same frame as you.

mtbr member
    how long lead time did they tell you?i have ordered the same frame as you.
    around 35 days depending on factory schedule, is what i was told.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    around 35 days depending on factory schedule, is what i was told.
    ok same as me,35-40 days.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    ok same as me,35-40 days.

Speedercycling told me today that the 17" f-fb02 is in stock and would ship tomorrow if paid today. Are you guys waiting for the 19" frame?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    What axles are you guys using with the speeder cycling fb02? No one has a 190x12 through axle available anywhere... Xmiplay has some prototype pictures, but not available yet. Do you plan on buying frame from speedercycling then buying axles from xmiplay when they eventually become available?

Also, are compatible 135x15 axles available for the front from anywhere as well?

mtbr member
    What axles are you guys using with the speeder cycling fb02? No one has a 190x12 through axle available anywhere... Xmiplay has some prototype pictures, but not available yet. Do you plan on buying frame from speedercycling then buying axles from xmiplay when they eventually become available?

Also, are compatible 135x15 axles available for the front from anywhere as well?
    I just got the tracking number for my FB02 from Sarah at Speeder. She also informed me that on new orders frames will be coming with axles. I bought my axles from Xmiplay.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Speedercycling told me today that the 17" f-fb02 is in stock and would ship tomorrow if paid today. Are you guys waiting for the 19" frame?
    i am waiting for 17,maybe because i gonna have it painted it take longer time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I emailed Speedercycing last evening about if axles were included (for 12x170) and was told no, they felt they come with the hubs.

Let us know when you receive your frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I think these manufacturers are starting to figure out that through axles aren't standardized and that buyers really want them bundled with the frame. That is something I negotiated before ordering. I wasn't going to order a bike without knowing axles where available.

Speaking of axles... I rode the fattie last night and almost lost the axle nut. Apparently I should have put the quick release stupid tight to prevent it coming loose. It was mostly un-threaded and luckily a fellow rider pointed it out when we stopped. Otherwise the nut would have fallen off after just a few more minutes of riding. Chances are it would have been lost and finding a replacement would take forever. Whew. That was close.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Nope--ordered 17inch and was told 30 or so days.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by orind View Post
    I emailed Speedercycing last evening about if axles were included (for 12x170) and was told no, they felt they come with the hubs.

Let us know when you receive your frame.
    Hopefully you communicated that he is mistaken.

No hubs come with through axles. Never. Never ever ever.
    (right?)

mtbr member
    Nope--ordered 17inch and was told 30 or so days.
    when i was ordering i was told 17" in UD matte are readily available. but i needed 19"

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Speedercycling also told me they thought hubs come with the axles. I corrected them. They contacted their hub partner and can now get axles, but not in stock yet. I told them "no axles, no sale".

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    eBay now has one seller selling 190x12, 197x12 and 135x15 through axles.

There is also a very odd novatec branded 145x15 axle on eBay as well. Not sure what application that is for. Too long for 135x15. And not long enough for 150x15. And too thick and long for 142x12 (rear).

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I cannot see the benefit in having a thru axle with a nut on it. You may as well be running a q/r skewer if the nut is lost that easily.

Threaded frame boss is the only way to go with a thru axle imo.
    Seems silly to have to tighten the q/r system you have stupidly tight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Just talk to Justin att speeder,the axl dont follow the frame.but my frame Will be shipped next week :-D

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I too would prefer a threaded dropout rather than a nut. But the benefit of through axle stiffness is still there. That's the primary reason for through axles.

aka bOb
    I like the threaded nut as long as it is held in place with something. Oh and there is no comparison between a qr and a thru axle no matter the fastening system used.
    <iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/14624765885/player/" width="375" height="500" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    As soon as I get my hands on the axles that I bought from Xmiplay I am going to turn some myself. I am thinking about having one side( a hex bolt head) with a threaded nut, knurled, or hex cap screw on the other side. I see no need to rely on a quick release, I generally am in no need of hurry when I want my wheel off, for a repair or other. Enjoy the scenery while you fix a flat.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The purpose of the quick release, other than being quick, is to make wheel removal not require any tools. Not saying you should want quick release, but that's the reasoning.

I simply failed to put it on tight enough while building the bike. Going forward it should work flawlessly.

Does anyone know the link to the axles being sold on ebay?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Just talk to Justin att speeder,the axl dont follow the frame.but my frame Will be shipped next week :-D
    Can you explain what you mean "Axle does not follow the frame"--Are you saying it does not thread into the frame (requiring external nut) or it is not included with the frame?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    So with these quick-release-style through axles (i.e. not threading into a frame insert like a Syntace X-12 system), I'm getting a little concerned.

1.) Are the ends of the QR serrated like a typical QR?
    2.) Will the serrations cause any short or long term issues when directly tightened up against carbon "drop-outs" (even though its a through axle, these are effectively fully enclosed drop-outs)

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    The purpose of the quick release, other than being quick, is to make wheel removal not require any tools. Not saying you should want quick release, but that's the reasoning.

I simply failed to put it on tight enough while building the bike. Going forward it should work flawlessly.

Does anyone know the link to the axles being sold on ebay?

Here are the eBay links to the axles:
    15x135: 2014 NEW Fatbike Axle Thru Front Quick Release 15x135mm Fork HUB FOR PW M74 | eBay
    12x190: 2014 NEW Fatbike Axle Thru Snow Bike Dune Buggy HUB Rear Quick Release 12x190mm | eBay

They also have a 12x197 that I am not "watching"

They also have 135x15 and 190x12 hubs in black/red for $169 USD for the set. Claimed weight of 556g for the pair.
    NEW Fatbike HUB FOR Shimano XX1 Freehub 190x12mm Axle Thru 32 Holes Powerway M74 | eBay

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Can you explain what you mean "Axle does not follow the frame"--Are you saying it does not thread into the frame (requiring external nut) or it is not included with the frame?
    Yes. And Yes. External threaded nut. And not included with the frame from SpeederCycling (for now...until they get some in from supplier in Taiwan, which will be "a while" according to my recent conversation with a representative there in the past 72 hrs)

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Just wanted to say thank you for all the help. I am building up an FB02 for my wife, 17 inch frame 170 rear. Just ordered up the through axles (front and rear), and Sarma hubs. I am going to do Nextie rims in pink.

mtbr member
    Has anyone come across a frame with a 170mm rear, 100mm BSA BB that doesn't have the corvus like curved top tube?

Rocking on a Rocky
    Just wanted to say thank you for all the help. I am building up an FB02 for my wife, 17 inch frame 170 rear. Just ordered up the through axles (front and rear), and Sarma hubs. I am going to do Nextie rims in pink.
    Did you receive the frame yet?
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    just out of curiosity i checked with Sarah from speeder on thru axles. she responded that my frame will be coming with axle. will see.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    safety wire everything! wait, this isn't moto.. ;-)
    awesome fat bikes fellas and ladies..
    ..sleep is good...

mtbr member
    just out of curiosity i checked with Sarah from speeder on thru axles. she responded that my frame will be coming with axle. will see.
    Good for you she said she was going to start doing that!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Anybody know what headset to use with fb02 frame from speeder?

mtbr member
    My FB02 arrived today, looks very nice.

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast