cmg
    passed out in your garden

Chinese Carbon Fatbike SN01 - 2.5 years down

This review is posted in the "Chinese Carbon Fatty" thread, but will be quickly lost there (as it may do here as well),

its been a year now that Ive had the SN01, and to sum up: I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!!!!!

Info on the build can be found in posts 2603, 2637 - 2640 & 2652, on top of that I went SLX brakes, SLX cassette & chain, XT trigger & derailleur (1X10), frame is a large (20") and the bike weighed in at 12.4kg with pedals & tubes. Price came in around 2500CHF (Swiss Francs) all up to where I am today, which I think is good considering the Spez Fatboy starts at 2200 here.

About me: 44yrs stoopid, 6"2', ~95kgs in my Bday suit, been riding bikes approx 6 yrs but come from a enduro motocycling background (past life in Australia).

In the last year I have done 3331.2kms on it (wouldve been more but I was laid up for 2months with a skateboard injury), and I am pretty damn happy with my venture in fatbikes. My ride before the SN01 was a 2012 Trek Rumblefish, which in the last year has not been ridden at all. The SN01 is my "do it all bike", needless to say it isnt so much fun on a pumptrack or a downhill course, but thats a price Im willing to pay.

Basically I went the full ICAN SN01 set; with seat, seatpost, stem, handlebar, BB, crankset & wheelset all coming from ICAN.
    The first parts to go were the stem and handlebar, I found the carbon flexed too much for my liking, and they were replaced with aluminium jobbies , the results were heaps better and the whole setup is stiffer and more to my liking.
    The next issue I encountered was the freehub (link to post about it), some of the pawls got stuck, placing pressure on one side of the freehub, which then slowly destroyed itself. A new one was ordered from ICAN, and I now pull it apart every ~300kms and check/clean it. The crappy ICAN BB also slowly destroyed itself after ~10 months and has been replaced, having said that I ride in the wet/slop/salt/beach so I guess that was to be expected. I will see how the Shimano Saint BB holds up.

I have two sets of tyres, Ground Controls 4.6 & ChaoYangs 4.9 (FatBNimble copy), the Ground Controls are absolutely awesome in nearly all conditions and sh!t all over the ChaoYangs, but they are also 3x the price. I find the ChaoYangs only good for dry work, but I reckon they may be good on the beach although I only had the Ground Controls at the beach.

The wheelset has held up very nicely (outside of the freehub issue I had) and one day (maybe) I will go tubeless. Just need to be sure to get all the water out of the rims which are double walled. But Ive done all sorts of riding which has included numerous rim strikes and 'one or two' OTBs and the wheelset had remained round & true. The same can be said for the frame, has held up well. I ended up drilling a hole in the frame under the BB, as water was pooling there, which no doubt contributed to the BB destroying itself. Until now its been ok and no cracks have developed.

The headset caused me problems as well, it was always coming loose, I could tighten it using loctite, and that bastard would still come loose. This small issue appears to have been resolved by using a new stem cap, since the new stem cap the loosening has gone (sounds weird I know, but thats how it is).

Not long ago the bike developed an annoying creak on each pedal stropke, shortly after installing the new BB. I washed, oiled, disassembled, tightened etc etc etc, it drove me nuts. I checked the frame where I'd drilled, worked on the BB again and again, and figured Id have to live with it until something gave in or broke. That was until one day on a long climb I stood up for a while (not something I normally do), and then eventually noticed the creaking had stopped which was weird as essentially more weight was on the BB now. Basically the issue was my seat rails moving up & down in the seatpost clamp, retighten and all is good. The rails have been slightly damaged due to this, but time will tell if they hold up.

I also commute on it, which is ideal as it allows me to be more creative with my rides to and from work, and also keeps me away from people who wish to stop you and talk about the bike. Last year on a warm day was riding up a steep road and pretty much dying, when a van slowed to my pace and the folks started talking to me about the bike, it can get annoying sometimes but Ive learnt to just "smile & wave" and keep riding.

Well thats about all, if I was to do it all again, I wouldnt bother with the following:
    ICAN BB
    ICAN Stem
    ICAN Handlebar
    ICAN Headset
    ChaoYang tyres
    I havent replaced the headset yet, but its on the list of things to do.

To sum up, I made a few mistakes, but all in all Im stoked.

Last edited by cmg; 09-13-2017 at 08:24 PM. Reason: its now 2.5yrs
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Nice review, thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Hey, great review, I'm now where you were a year ago and getting ready to build. I've a question about the ican bottom bracket. Was it the one with red cups, if so, was it a true 120mm bb with a usable sleeve? That bb seems to be the only
    True 120 bsa 30 out there as all others are 100mm with spacers and no sleeve.

Thanks

cmg
    Couldnt remember so had to go through the photos

The answer is yes

Pic of ICAN BB

Chinese Carbon Fatbike SN01 - 1 year down-2015311163409_zpsrwodehxc.jpg

I have a Shimano BB now, aand dont use a sleeve as the ICAN supplied sleeve wasnt really waterproof/resistant anyway.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Thanks, are you using more spacers now with the shimano bb? Are you onto a different crank over the ican? Hope you don't mind me picking.
    Last edited by Rahkne; 12-07-2016 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Remove text

cmg
    Still using ICAN crank.
    Im using a spacer on each side (that came with ICAN BB) between frame & BB, enough so l get ~5mm clearance from crank to chainstay.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Interesting, so you're using a shimano BB (most likely shorter than a 100mm) with one ican BB spacer per side and are able to get good clearance on a 197mm rear spacing... good chainline?

cmg
    Yep, Shimano BB is a normal 73/83mm (?) for a "normal" bike, just cant use the sleeve.
    I run 1x10, chainline is fine, never rubs on tyre, l would like to go to 1x11 when l have the funds. I also want to go to Raceface Aeffect crank, again funds dependant.

cmg
    Heres a photo of the spacers, about 5mm each side plus about 1mm between BB and crank on each side, gives me 5mm between crank an chainstays.

Chinese Carbon Fatbike SN01 - 1 year down-img_20161210_091938085.jpg

This pic shows another issue l had with the ICAN crank, the spindle came loose from the crank, therefore bringing some play into the equation, this occurred after about 5000kms, l was able to remove the spindle from the crank and clean it all up, then l reassembled it all, drilled a hole through crank and spindle and put a 3mm pin in it, did this on both sides, hole is visible in pic.

I also broke both rails on the carbon seat, see first post about some seat issues l had, then in a race l landed a jump badly and came with my full 95kgs (and nuts) onto the seat, it made an almighty crack sound, at first l thought ld busted the frame, but luckily the seat rails broke, l had to stand the rest of the race , its a shame as the seat besides looking cool was actually quite comfortable.

Chinese Carbon Fatbike SN01 - 1 year down-img_20161023_144507216.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    That's some great info, thanks for the pics, helps with the understanding! I have a couple different bottom brackets coming in so... we'll see.

As per seat, holy! Could of been way worst if the saddle broke like that rather than the rails, what saddle will you go with next?

cmg
    I had a Scott saddle sitting around so it is mounted now.

cmg
    Its now been 2 and half years, and Im still stoked with my Fat
    So stoked in fact that it was time for some lovin', and after nearly 9000kms I think its deserved.

The ICAN wheel set has served well, but was getting a little tired, Ive been through 2 freehubs and the current one is on its last legs. Spokes on the rear are also loose and bearings in both front and back are pretty much toast. I looked at replacing the hubs/spokes with DT Swiss, but prices worked out about 200 less than a whole new DT Swiss wheelset, so I thought why bother? now I have 2 wheel sets (one needs new hubs/spoke though ). The carbon fork has also served well, and I have no complaints at all with it, but my ageing body was starting to notice the hits on the trails I ride, so boingers were also on the cards. The ICAN headset also worked well over the last 2.5 yrs, but literally fell apart when I took it out last night and was rusty and dirty, the new headset seals a hell of a lot better.

Since January I have been slowly collecting parts for a refurbishment, waiting for sales/specials etc, yesterday the last parts came, and last night the makeover was done

Refurb consisted of:
    DT Swiss wheelset
    New Brake discs, 160 & 180mm
    32T RaceFace Chainring
    Sunrace 10-42 Cassette (10 speed)
    Surly Rim Tape
    RockShox Bluto 100mm
    RaceFace Ride Cranks
    Bottom Bracket
    Cane Creek Headset
    Maxxis Tyres (actually been using these for a while)

I wasnt sure about the red rim tape when I ordered it, but now I think it looks tops.
    Weight I dont know, hey its a Fattie , and all up Im in now for around $3800, but am expecting at least another 2.5yrs of awesomeness from it.
    Unfortunately no ride yet due to sh!tty weather, but Im definitely looking forward to it.

Chinese Carbon Fatbike SN01 - 1 year down-fattie.jpg
    Last edited by cmg; 07-26-2017 at 06:18 AM.

Live Free & Ride
    Nice ride! What size is your frame? Seatpopst and stem spacers look maxed out - raised real high!
    17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    How do you rate the DT Swiss alloy wheels in comparison to the chinese carbons? Did you do any weight comparison? Are you feeling any stiffness difference?

cmg
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post
    Nice ride! What size is your frame? Seatpopst and stem spacers look maxed out - raised real high!
    Its the largest, 20", seat post is the 400mm, lm tall

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightFattie View Post
    How do you rate the DT Swiss alloy wheels in comparison to the chinese carbons? Did you do any weight comparison? Are you feeling any stiffness difference?
    DTSwiss are about the same weight, maybe 100grams difference, lm noticing the weight of the Bluto a lot more (and glad l didnt go for a Wren), stiffness is bloody awesone but you gotta keep in mind lve been riding around on stuffed wheels for about a year now, having said that though, if l did it all again ld go straight to the DTSwiss set and not bother with the Chinga set.
    The DTSwiss are 75mm whereas my others were 90mm, so thats where the weight is saved.
    I must also say, as you unpack the DTSwiss wheels it becomes quickly evident that you have a quality set of wheels in your hands, l never had that feeling with the Chingas, but they also have done 2.5yrs and approx 8500kms, so maybe their time was done.

Chinese Carbon Fatbike SN01 - 1 year down-img_20170717_152422169.jpgChinese Carbon Fatbike SN01 - 1 year down-img_20170717_152703.jpg

Chinese Carbon Fatbike SN01 - 1 year down-2015306204258_zpsjvxfdyty.jpgChinese Carbon Fatbike SN01 - 1 year down-2015306204227_zpsqdy9x6zr.jpg
    Last edited by cmg; 08-09-2017 at 05:05 AM.

cmg
    Quote Originally Posted by cmg71 View Post
    Since January I have been slowly collecting parts for a refurbishment, waiting for sales/specials etc, yesterday the last parts came, and last night the makeover was done

Refurb consisted of:
    DT Swiss wheelset
    New Brake discs, 160 & 180mm
    32T RaceFace Chainring
    Sunrace 10-42 Cassette (10 speed)
    Surly Rim Tape
    RockShox Bluto 100mm
    RaceFace Ride Cranks
    Bottom Bracket
    Cane Creek Headset
    Maxxis Tyres (actually been using these for a while)
    On Friday night a Crank Brothers Highline 160mm was added
    Unfortunately the SN01 frame was not designed for an internally routed dropper , damn it was a pain in the butt to route the cable, and due to my "sillyness" I damaged the protective housing the cable runs in , but after a lot of pulling/pushing/swearing I have a functioning dropper, and it was totally worth it

One thing Ive really noticed is how much the carbon seatpost flexed (not a bad thing), and how much vibration it absorbed, the Dropper doesnt flex and is rock solid on my butt.
    Last edited by cmg; 08-27-2017 at 03:41 AM.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by cmg71 View Post
    Its the largest, 20", seat post is the 400mm, lm tall

DTSwiss are about the same weight, maybe 100grams difference, lm noticing the weight of the Bluto a lot more (and glad l didnt go for a Wren), stiffness is bloody awesone but you gotta keep in mind lve been riding around on stuffed wheels for about a year now, having said that though, if l did it all again ld go straight to the DTSwiss set and not bother with the Chinga set.
    The DTSwiss are 75mm whereas my others were 90mm, so thats where the weight is saved.
    I must also say, as you unpack the DTSwiss wheels it becomes quickly evident that you have a quality set of wheels in your hands, l never had that feeling with the Chingas, but they also have done 2.5yrs and approx 8500kms, so maybe their time was done.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170717_152422169.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	1151219Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170717_152703.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	1151220

Name:	2015306204258_zpsjvxfdyty.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	1151221Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015306204227_zpsqdy9x6zr.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	1151222
    Well, this first one is 90mm wide, as compared to DTs 75mm, using 190mm hub, with valves, ready to ride. Obviously the Hope hub is a little heavier than the DT 350 though, so it could go lighter.

Chinese Carbon Fatbike SN01 - 1 year down-01cc6110641bf7d3fc4e0eac0f720b40be338fbf83.jpg

Second one on a 65mm rim, 190mm hub.

Chinese Carbon Fatbike SN01 - 1 year down-16832406_10101056009286118_7269716387457239928_n.jpg

I know DT makes quality stuff, but aluminum won't have anywhere near the strength-stiffness to weight ratio. No point in paying all that money IMO when you can do better. I also haven't met any aluminum rims that do tubeless as easy as quality carbon ones with smooth mounting surfaces.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

cmg
    my rear is a 197 (sure not a big diff) and front is 150 (Carbon front was 135)

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I know DT makes quality stuff, but aluminum won't have anywhere near the strength-stiffness to weight ratio. No point in paying all that money IMO when you can do better. I also haven't met any aluminum rims that do tubeless as easy as quality carbon ones with smooth mounting surfaces.
    I tried to get just the hubs, but that turned into a massive pain in the arse, and the saving in the end wasnt worth the hassle of getting my old Carbons respoked etc. My Carbons are going on eBay now anyway, Ive decided I dont need two wheelsets.
    I dont get what you mean about "paying all that money" when the DT Swiss wheelset cost me just under 600 Francs, my ICAN wheelset cost more ???????
    As yet tubeless is also no biggie for me, maybe in the future but I have no interest in it at all (at the moment )

Elitest thrill junkie
    That's what I meant, 197, 197mm hubs are the same as 190, with the additional lip for the through axle. I highly advise anyone that is seriously into this to learn how to build/respoke wheels, not as hard as it's made out to be and a good skill to have. I've respoked lots of carbon wheels, setting them up for new applications and configurations, one of them I've relaced at least 3 times, maybe 4, as I may have lost track.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

SN01 build

Chinese Carbon Fatbike SN01 - 1 year down-fat2.jpgChinese Carbon Fatbike SN01 - 1 year down-fat1.jpgChinese Carbon Fatbike SN01 - 1 year down-img_7559.jpgChinese Carbon Fatbike SN01 - 1 year down-img_7556.jpg

just finished my sn01 build. ordered fram + fork + 90mm wheel + seat post collar + handlebar directly from ican, perfect service, shipped to canada in less than 10 days.

everything fit perfectly, rim easy to mount tubeless even without any sealant.

cmg
    I like the wheels, lMUST, sounds better than ICAN.
    Im closing in on 10k kms on my SN01

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by trembljo View Post

Name:	fat2.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	112.2 KB 
ID:	1170287Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fat1.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	1170288Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7559.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	1170289Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7556.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	1170290

just finished my sn01 build. ordered fram + fork + 90mm wheel + seat post collar + handlebar directly from ican, perfect service, shipped to canada in less than 10 days.

everything fit perfectly, rim easy to mount tubeless even without any sealant.
    How much clearance do you have on that rear tire with those 9th rims?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    delete
    Last edited by ak-rider; 01-09-2018 at 10:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    imust and ican are the same, only logo is different. they didn't have the ican logo wheel in stock and they offer me the imust. btw they look's better than the ican!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    i sealed the spoke with 2 turn of red tuk tape. i was a little bit septic because of the shwalbe jumbo jim liteskin that are very thin but it work. for sure it will lose air over time but i did my firts 1h30 ride yesterday and it was ok.

important point, i'm riding on snow i would not run without sealant with liteskin tire during the summer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Chinese Carbon Fatbike SN01 - 1 year down-img_7560.jpg

with jj 4.8 absolutly no tire clearance issue, not close at all. i have a 135mm fork but the 150mm will permit bigger tire

look at the picture

[QUOTE=akgrimace;13441374]How much clearance do you have on that rear tire with those 9th rims?

Sent from my SM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese Carbon Fatbike SN01 - 1 year down-img_7558.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    [QUOTE=trembljo;13441504]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7560.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	120.9 KB 
ID:	1170305

with jj 4.8 absolutly no tire clearance issue, not close at all. i have a 135mm fork but the 150mm will permit bigger tire

look at the picture

Quote Originally Posted by akgrimace View Post
    How much clearance do you have on that rear tire with those 9th rims?

Sent from my SM
    Nice. Thanks. I've been using 65s and was wondering if I could move up.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

new SN01 build

pictures of my new SN01 build, eveything is perfect from Ican. 1 x 9 Sram XO. Gold paint is amazing

Chinese Carbon Fatbike SN01 - 1 year down-img_7975.jpgChinese Carbon Fatbike SN01 - 1 year down-img_7974.jpg

mtbr member
    heh. I cracked mine, just forward of the seat tube on the top tube. They sent a replacement right away, but I sold it right off cheap, I couldn't trust it. It was most definitely light and quick and all the good things. It just wasn't burly enough to take a proper thrashing. As a snow only bike, I'd consider it again.

cmg
    I passed 10k kms on mine, and coming up on 3yrs of use, been thinking about a 27+ wheelset fur summer (dont think 29+ fits)

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

SN01 and the Mastodon

Got the Mastodon fitted up last night. It did take an 8mm crown race (courtesy of MTB Tools)

This is the 100mm, Pro, Extended version.

Chinese Carbon Fatbike SN01 - 1 year down-20180829_214225.jpgChinese Carbon Fatbike SN01 - 1 year down-20180829_214323.jpg

mtbr member
    Hey fellas have any of you went up to a 180mm rotor in the rear? If so can you tell me what shimano adapter I would need? I know it's post to post but I'm finding all kinds of crap about using front adapters and a 160 adapter fits 180 in the rear???

cmg
    I seem to recall that a 180mm wont fit on the rear of the SN01, I believe it rubs the frame, this is the reason I have not tried.
    I could however be wrong

mtbr member
    I eyeballed everything and went ahead and got the shimano 180 p to p adapter and everything fits great!Chinese Carbon Fatbike SN01 - 1 year down-img_2923.jpg

cmg
    good stuff