A cheaper Watchman 26x4.0?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

A cheaper Watchman 26x4.0?

Hola,

Advocate Cycles launched a crowdfunding campaign and they're offering early bids for their fatbike

Check out:
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/advocate-cycles#/story,

Saludos,
    Federico
    Last edited by TheirOnlyPortrait; 06-25-2015 at 08:06 PM.
    Cycling in developing countries, making & printing portraits for those families who've NONE. www.theironlyportrait.com

Rocking on a Rocky
    Looks cool.
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    I had the pleasure of putting faces to names last night since I happen to live in the area.

Totally rad guys. Watching this jazz closely.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    I see they are a Minnesota company. I'm curious if they are connected to Quality Bike Products in anyway?
    "Never get out of the boat. Unless your goin' all the way."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MulletSlayer View Post
    I see they are a Minnesota company. I'm curious if they are connected to Quality Bike Products in anyway?
    Hola MulletSlayer,

Tim Krueger worked as Salsa Cycles' Product Manager for several years where he managed development of numerous popular and award-winning cycling products such as the Salsa Beargrease Carbon, Whisky No.9 Carbon rims, and Salsa Bucksaw!

Advocate Cycles is a new & independent bike company that exists solely to create innovative bicycles and deliver 100% of profits from the company back to making cycling better for everyone

Saludos,
    Federico
    Cycling in developing countries, making & printing portraits for those families who've NONE. www.theironlyportrait.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheirOnlyPortrait View Post
    Hola MulletSlayer,

Tim Krueger worked as Salsa Cycles' Product Manager for several years where he managed development of numerous popular and award-winning cycling products such as the Salsa Beargrease Carbon, Whisky No.9 Carbon rims, and Salsa Bucksaw!

Advocate Cycles is a new & independent bike company that exists solely to create innovative bicycles and deliver 100% of profits from the company back to making cycling better for everyone

Saludos,
    Federico
    I see they "have elected to pledge 100% of our after-tax profits to be donated to non-profits making cycling better for all people. Because of this pledge, we have no profit motive to offer investors, so we are asking for your support to make this first-in-the-industry company a reality."

Do they also declare their salaries and allowances so people can see if these are reasonable or a mechanism to shift pre-tax money into their pockets while still meeting this obligation?

Tim

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    They say they intend to donate 7-9% of expected revenue of $330,000. That's a clear figure, views as to reasonable salaries may differ.

Black Sheep rising
    Link above NFG. This gives one pause, and is fuel for increased cynicism.
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by UlrichNQ View Post
    They say they intend to donate 7-9% of expected revenue of $330,000. That's a clear figure, views as to reasonable salaries may differ.
    Thanks. I guess I'm just suspicious about these sorts of approaches. They may well be altruistic and have very good intentions.

Tim

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    I see they "have elected to pledge 100% of our after-tax profits to be donated to non-profits making cycling better for all people. Because of this pledge, we have no profit motive to offer investors, so we are asking for your support to make this first-in-the-industry company a reality."

Do they also declare their salaries and allowances so people can see if these are reasonable or a mechanism to shift pre-tax money into their pockets while still meeting this obligation?

Tim
    Hola Tim,

I don't work at Advocate Cycles so it would be better if you get in touch with them (Advocate Cycles |) if you've any doubts/questions or need more info

Best regards,
    Federico

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TheirOnlyPortrait View Post
    Hola Tim,

I don't work at Advocate Cycles so it would be better if you get in touch with them (Advocate Cycles |) if you've any doubts/questions or need more info

Best regards,
    Federico
    What's your relationship with them?

mtbr member
    Hola tfinator,

Advocate Cycles will lend me a Hayduke's demo to test it, in exchange of images for editorial use & social media (I'm a photographer based in Buenos Aires).

I don't personally know Tim Krueger but I know he's a respected member of the cycling community and I LOVE his Company's mission!

Saludos,
    Federico

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I say; Let the Big Horse Run! There are actually people out there who believe in what they are doing. The fact that they need to eat (and aren't independently wealthy) should not penalize their efforts. Money F&*%ing SUCKS, and is a cause of a lot of the problems of the world, but we all need some of it to live, and, like these folks, to make something good happen.

Cynicism, and mistrust, based on money, [email protected]#$ing SUCKS THE MOST of just about everything (just behind Corporate and Personal greed (Iraq War, anyone??)).

These people are trying to do some good. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT?

TheirOnlyPortrait, good on you for advocating this. You Rock.

Cheers
    Kevin

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    +1 @ Kbbob

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Tapatalk

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    I was thinking about this the other day, and since this thread got bumped... here goes:

Inefficiency vs No Efficiency

A lot of things are inefficient: internal combustion engines, your digestive tract, political campaigns, plenty out there.

Most good-cause ventures are really inefficient because of the overhead involved in getting people interested.

IF and ONLY IF people unilaterally donated a lot of money without thought of reward, things wouldn't be this way. If you don't like it, the thing you can do is donate to some cause, and ask to be taken off their mailing list. When I donate to IMBA, I don't want socks!! I want trails!

But that's just me. It would seem, for the majority, you can't generate ANY donate-able amount without an appealing concept / modern marketing.

My point is if you don't like Advocate Cycles' business model, compare it to the raw numbers of other "cause" type businesses and you will find many with yields that are similarly a small slice of the overall pie. Further, if you really need to donate to a cause and want all funds allocated to just the cause and not the overhead, by all means do that.

I tend to donate to wildlife conservation projects. Bought me up a small portion of city marsh land that, thanks to some other concerned neighbors, will remain marsh land.

If you look at Advocate from the perspective of "I could use a new bike anyway, and let's chip in some trail bucks while I'm at it" - that's going to resonate with some people.

Seriously though, entropy is a _____.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.