Cheap suspension fork for my fat bike - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    May 2016
    I would stick with the rigid! Really not worth it especially if you ride primarily on paved roads.

mtbr member
    Good to know, thank you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    I'm new to the mountain bike scene, I have a mongoose Vinson and I'm trying to get a cheap fork. Looking at an XCT for 70 bucks. Anyone running those on a fat tire? Do they fit?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by medicbobs View Post
    I'm new to the mountain bike scene, I have a mongoose Vinson and I'm trying to get a cheap fork. Looking at an XCT for 70 bucks. Anyone running those on a fat tire? Do they fit?
    No, they do not fit. They are made for a 100mm wide front axle and your bike has a 135mm axle. Suspension forks for fat bikes typically have a 150mm front spacing.

I would say to enjoy your bike with a rigid fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Air Fork

Quote Originally Posted by medicbobs View Post
    This site sells an air suspension fork that works for fat bikes. Fat bike forks suspension forks will be a little heavy unless you pay big bucks. https://boltonebikes.com/

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I have read a lot of posts on here, and something I have been thinking off, since I want a cheap suspension fork as well is this: Use 100cc or 200cc motorcycle fork tubes and find a way to mount them because I'd rather have more weight, then some generic alibaba/aliexpress/ebay fork that I wouldnt trust. Not sure how much extra weight would be, but fatties are just cruisers anyway.

Another idea:
    Find or fabricate a springer fork. Its a fat bike so its not like weight is a thing when casually cruising the beach, bush or snow. The springs I'd use for a build like that would be rear suspension bicycle springs because they are everywhere!

Yet another idea:
    Take a good regular suspension fork, and widen it. Then you could get the cheapest XCT, take all the internals out, and find a way to widen it. Or get a bit better fork like an XCM or XCR. Or Rockshox 30 Silver TK, Recon RL. But then your reaching into the territory, price wise of just buying a fat susp fork.

Apart from that, I would stay well away from the generic's sold online, unless someone found a particular fork that was an outright counterfeit of a brand name fork. Which is done all the time over-sea's. Its just the norm over there, entire stores are copied!

I have heard of DNM before, but never paid much attention, from the looks of things, copying and pasting from DNM's website of fork models to ebay, $400 is the cheapest I saw, but maybe there is a fork someone is selling used.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12