Cheap bar mitts- Mtbr.com

Thread: Cheap bar mitts

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Cheap bar mitts

Kwik Tek ScootR Logic Hand Mitts - Motorcycle Superstore I just ordered a pair of these...for $20, I figured they'd be worth a shot. Don't tell anyone, but they're made for scooters...and you know what they say about scooters...

mtbr member

Re: Cheap bar mitts

I dunno... using scooter parts on a fatbike is not very enduro.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    In that case, I'll put some Fly Racing stickers on 'em!

If they keep my hands warm, I'll be a happy camper. Hell, I might even see if they fit over the barkbusters on my WR250F.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by not2shabby View Post
    Kwik Tek ScootR Logic Hand Mitts - Motorcycle Superstore I just ordered a pair of these...for $20, I figured they'd be worth a shot. Don't tell anyone, but they're made for scooters...and you know what they say about scooters...
    They work. Was out in 4 degree temp with medium weight X-country ski gloves and hands just got a bit chilly in 45 minutes. Alloy handlebar, which doesn't help.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpyride View Post
    They work. Was out in 4 degree temp with medium weight X-country ski gloves and hands just got a bit chilly in 45 minutes. Alloy handlebar, which doesn't help.
    Thanks! Good to hear. I've still got the stock alloys on the F6, but went with ESI extra chunky grips. They should help insulate a little bit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Same thing, cheaper price with free two day shipping:
    Amazon.com : ScootR Logic SLHM-1 Hand Mitts (Pair) : Bike Panniers And Rack Trunks : Sports & Outdoors

Ordered up a set today. :-)

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Aw snap. Need to work on my Google-fu.

Loud hubs save lives!
    Just needs an umlaut, $400 price tag, and a broken zipper.. then you'll have my interest.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Sounds like there's a story behind that.

mtbr member
    http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Access.../dp/B001NOJ6IY

i've been using these for two seasons with great success.

they are bigger and warmer according to a review at the following page on amazon.

check custommer pics on the lower right...the guy has one of each attach to his bars...

Amazon.com : ScootR Logic SLHM-1 Hand Mitts (Pair) : Bike Panniers And Rack Trunks : Sports & Outdoors
    expensive cars are a waste of money. Expensive bikes...not so much!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Those look like they'd go over your elbows!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Yeah I think I like the smaller ones - if it is colder than what the smaller ones will work for I am probably not out riding. :-) That and I already placed my order. Good find and I am sure someone else will like them more!

mtbr member
    Those look like they'd go over your elbows!
    yep they are long...goes up just below the elbow. But compared to the big named brand poagies they're not really bigger.

Personnaly i like that as i ride in very cold temps(-20 deg celcius is regular around here).
    i have smaller ones that i made with neoprene, but never end up putting them on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I've been using these Kolpins and have been pleased with them. They are warm and stay on, what more do you need?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001Q4...=AC_SX200_QL40

All fat, all the time.
    Hard to argue that price....

I got a set of moose mitts couple years ago... Great!! Used them for the first time this season today (Boohoo cold weather is here) fingers toasty!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I bought the Kwik Tek ATVM-B, ATV Hand Protector Mitts (Black) a month ago for $16 (after reading about them in this thread).

Cheap, simple, warm, stays on, doesn't seem like it'll fall apart. Two thumbs up.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpyride View Post
    "A bit chilly in 45 minutes" with "medium weight" gloves mean, they don't work. Unless you never leave sight of the house or vehicle, why would anyone want to skimp on being warm?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    "A bit chilly in 45 minutes" with "medium weight" gloves mean, they don't work. Unless you never leave sight of the house or vehicle, why would anyone want to skimp on being warm?
    Actually they work quite well. Hands would be cold in 5 or 10 minutes with just the gloves and no poagies. I usually use mitts whenever I'm boarding or pretty much any winter activities. We all have our cold weather tolerances for hands. I switched to mitts when skate skiing because the gloves got cold in a very short time even with the high caloric output of skate skiing in altitude.

This particular ride was around Big Sky resort no more than a mile or two away from the condo, and the time was spent testing the bike in untracked snow.

RAKC

hey I have the same ones I bought last year but amazon description said for atv . They aren't all warm and fuzzy but warm enough mainly keeping the cold air, rain/snow away from ur hands and drafts outta ur sleeves. I use bontrager soft-shell gloves for fall riding and so far down to 5degs have been enough with those mitts. But that's only been tested on 15min commute to and from work, so can't comment on using for longer rides.

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    I would have to agree with this.

My moose mitts have never let my hands get cold, chilly, anything like that. 3+ hours in the snow, can't feel my toes, but my fingers are warm as long as they stay in the moose mitts.
    I ride with the same summer gloves underneath.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Pogies, and the first snow of the season. by mbeganyi, on Flickr

These are from the hunt'n fish'n shoot'n store. Cheap. Works well, but floppy on flat bars. Perfect on Jones loops. Lightweight (thin ibex woollies) gloves down into single digits. Medium weight below.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Wish I'd had them last night, went for my 1st snow ride in ~20 degree temps with the wind blowing pretty good. Wore my heavy winter motorcycle gloves and hands got cold, but not unbearably. They should get here today...good thing, it's even colder out!

BTW, snow riding is fun! Just have to get the clothing sorted out, had too many layers yesterday and got a bit sweaty.

mtbr member
    These are the same as the one i posted above...
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post

Pogies, and the first snow of the season. by mbeganyi, on Flickr

These are from the hunt'n fish'n shoot'n store. Cheap. Works well, but floppy on flat bars. Perfect on Jones loops. Lightweight (thin ibex woollies) gloves down into single digits. Medium weight below.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tartosuc View Post
    These are the same as the one i posted above...
    and?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I use to use that type of mitts until I went over the bars and torn my rotating cuff. The problem is in a crash it is like having your hands attached to the bars. I flipped over and landed on my left shoulder. I rather have cold hands or not ride that going through what I have gone through.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SirDonald View Post
    I use to use that type of mitts until I went over the bars and torn my rotating cuff. The problem is in a crash it is like having your hands attached to the bars. I flipped over and landed on my left shoulder. I rather have cold hands or not ride that going through what I have gone through.
    Dayum! Another good reason to have the shorter ones, I don't think they'd restrict me any from bailing out. I tried them out last night in 18 degrees with the wind blowing and wearing a pair of Isotoner gloves which aren't windproof. Hands got a little chilly till I warmed up from riding and were fine then. Better gloves would keep my hands warm from the get-go...maybe too warm. I have other gloves to try out.
    I know what you mean about the torn rotator cuff; did that about 20 years ago lifting weights. Ouch! Takes a loooong time to heal and sucks when you roll over in your sleep and wake up thinking someone is stabbing you!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    I've been using these Kolpins and have been pleased with them. They are warm and stay on, what more do you need?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001Q4...=AC_SX200_QL40
    Do these really come in 2lbs+?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Iíve been using the kwik tech mits as well after hearing about them. They work really well even on a few subzero day. I took some detailed photos of how you can route the cables and wrote up my thoughts on my blog https://everydaymtb.com/cheap-17-pog...rmitts-review/

Most Delicious
    I found that one thing that really improves the cheapo pogies is to get a fabric snap kit from your local craft store:

Drill a hole in your bar end plug and use a pop rivet to attach the male snap to the end of your bar. Because the male snap sticks up, you'll need a little nut or piece of tubing to use as a spacer when you tighten the rivet. Put the other snap in the appropriate place on the pogie and it will keep the pogies in place and away from your brake levers.

mtbr member
    I have Bar Mitts brand neoprene pogies and it looks like there are similar products for around $20 now (though they may not have the bar end strap that the Bar Mitts have).

It doesn't get all that cold here in MA, below zero during the day is pretty rare, and the neoprene mitts have been great. I can ride with no gloves or summer weight riding gloves in most temps, going to light fleece gloves around single digit temps. My hands always end up warmer than they were when I started the ride so I bring thinner gloves along or end up barehanded under the mitts.

The stiff nature of the neoprene mitts means getting your hands in and out is a breeze, which is great for technical trail riding.