Centered Vs. Offset- Mtbr.com
    oh crap...

Centered Vs. Offset

I used to own a 2010 9Zero7 135mm offset frame and ran an offset Surly Pugsley fork with it. I'm thinking about getting a Moonlander because I want to run 100's with Lou and Bud. It looks like the 170mm centered 9Zero7 would accept them though with less cogs on the cassette, right? It's between these to bikes as far as I can see right now.

I want some really low gears, so I'm not really interested in an Alfine unless someone can talk me into it...and I can't really invest in a Rohloff at this point.

Originally got rid of the 9Zero7 when I moved from the midwest to Colorado and ran out of storage room, but now I'm back in the midwest with a wife and 6 month old in a rural setting with several miles of wooded trails, sandy river banks, and lots of mellow dirt and farm roads that I can cruise along with my little boy as he grows and grows. Plenty of farm pasture to ride on too (gonna need fenders).

I should be able to test ride a Moonlander soon, but I'm not sure if a local shop has a 170mm centered Salsa that I could ride before considering the 9Zero7. Sounds like the 9Zero7 has more tire clearance for Lous and Buds on 100's than the Salsa does. Is that correct?

I've got a Lenz Milk Money for ripping single track, a Salsa Vaya for gravel (DK200 finisher), and Jamis Nova for light gravel mostly paved road duty.

Thanks for any input you can provide.
    Grow some food for yourself.

oh crap...
    knock knock...any input?

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerfrederico View Post
    knock knock...any input?
    if' i could i would alas all's i have is output of no particular kind.

You're correct on all questions.

Moonlander for 2013 will have a asymmetrical fork, the current has a symmetrical... so you will have both fork options available soon too, if you decide to build.

oh crap...
    I will be riding on dirt, sand, snow, ice, pasture, gravel. Will I run into more durability problems with an offset wheel or is centered best? This aspect is important to me.

Is the extreme off-centered nature of the Moonlander result in an unbalanced ride as compared to centered? Maybe it was just psychological, but sometimes the off-centered ride of my old 907 made me think something unbalanced was happening.

mtbr member
    If the Bud and Lou are bigger as stated than the BFL's you will have problems on a 9-0-7 170 centered frame. My BFL's on Clownshoes, tubeless are rubbing a little.
    They just made it when I had them tubed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I will be riding on dirt, sand, snow, ice, pasture, gravel. Will I run into more durability problems with an offset wheel or is centered best? This aspect is important to me.

Is the extreme off-centered nature of the Moonlander result in an unbalanced ride as compared to centered? Maybe it was just psychological, but sometimes the off-centered ride of my old 907 made me think something unbalanced was happening.
    Both are plenty durable for the riding you plan on doing. The offset hubs should not cause any unbalancing. The tires and rims are still on center so the bike and rider are still balanced over a tire centered under them. There is a bit of mass off to the side but it is a very small percentage of the total mass of bike and rider.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Dunno if it helps but here is the Moonie clearance in 1st gear, 2X9 standard gearing, 100mm rims, 4.7" tyres, and there is 1/2" or 12mm clearance...

Moonlander by coastkid71, on Flickr

Loads of folk boast of fitting BFLs to 135mm offset and 170mm inline frames but never post this angle of pic to show the chain clearance and as important chain line with a 9 or 10 speed cassette,

Looks like that new 907 with bigger 186 rear hub is the only inline soloution to get the same clearance,

Alfine does not go low enough gears without losing all your road speed usefull top gears even with 3.7" tyres so would be worse again with larger 4.7" BFLs - a shame as the idea of simplicity with a straight chainline of an Alfine is a great idea...

Me if i started again on a build i would build a bike with 80mm rims and Moonlander frame type clearance so i could have the option of 4.7" BFLs for max float beachriding, or swapout to 3.7" for trails and get the best of both worlds

Oh i would like it in Reynolds 853 steel too please
    Last edited by coastkid71; 09-25-2012 at 03:13 PM.
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

oh crap...
    I guess it's a Moonlander for me then...considering the clearance issues with the 907. I won't be ripping single track with it...so having a dedicated super fat tire bike for rollin over anything and having fun will be an appreciated addition to my stable.

mtbr member
    I guess it's a Moonlander for me then...considering the clearance issues with the 907. I won't be ripping single track with it...so having a dedicated super fat tire bike for rollin over anything and having fun will be an appreciated addition to my stable.
    Not so fast there farmerfrederico, 9-0-7 is now producing a 185 centered frame for 2013. If you run this with a Lefty from MendonCycleSmith you can use any tire rim combo. I will be changing my frame out soon.

oh crap...
    Ahhh...I missed that. When will that frame be available? Is it rumored to have more clearance than even the Moonlander to allow for further evobloatation of tire and rim selection?

mtbr member
    Ahhh...I missed that. When will that frame be available? Is it rumored to have more clearance than even the Moonlander to allow for further evobloatation of tire and rim selection?
    I think the boy's at 9-0-7 told me it would be available this fall. Have to check with them on that. I will definitely change mine out because I want to run a set of Bud and Lou's.

Also the new Surly OD crankset is stated by Surly to clear 5" wide tires on the moonlander.

Members who have read this thread: 0