Carrying a Spare Tube- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Carrying a Spare Tube

I'm looking for a way to carry a spare tube as it won't fit in my seatpack. I'd also rather not have it in my backpack because sometimes I'll ride with just a bottle and I'm just as likely to take it out to make space when I'm on my 29er and forget to put it back in.

So, aside from getting a larger seatpack how do you guys carry tubes?
    If you need me I'll be at the bar

Smash Mode: ON
    I have an extra water bottle cage that I keep one in. It is folded up tight, in a small soft pouch, and then sealed in a ziplock. No point in bringing a tube if it isn't protected. All this fits very snug in the cage. I was planning on using zip ties to secure it but they aren't even needed.
    Whatever floats your bike, dude

mtbr member
    Thanks, think I've even got a suitable container that will fit in the cage

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I like the idea of using the bottle cage.

I was hoping I could just use a 29er tube in a pinch to get out of the woods and back to my truck where the massive fatty tube was LOL

2 wheels & a meat motor
    Has anyone used motorcycle tubes? You'll have to drill out the rim, but that's no biggy.
    I have a custom cruiser with a 24" x 3" rear tire on a 85mm wide rim that I used one on with great success. They're also cheaper!

I only ask because I will soon, hopefully, be a fat bike owner, if only the manufacturer would make more than 10 bikes at a time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Cary only Q-tubes superlight as a spare - because they are thinner they can actually fit inside a wide mouth water bottle for safekeeping. There are also non water bottle "tool kit" bottles that fit just like a water bottle.

mtbr member
    I can carry a fat bike tube, tire lever and multi tool in my Lezyne L-Caddy. It's designed to carry two 29er tubes so there is just enough room in the main compartment to carry the fat tube. I put mine inside a plastic baggy to make it easier to get in.

Looks normal (at least to me) mounted on the bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I haven't done it with my fatty yet bc I haven't figured out the best way to carry one...but I wrap my 29er tubes in a sock and stick them in my camelback.

The sock helps protect the tube from rubbing through and it doubles as a rag when your hands are filthy.

mtbr member
    Mini frame bag

P1020468 by druidh_dubh, on Flickr

Holds tools, levers, mech hanger, tube, chain link and a couple of other bits and bobs.

mtbr member
    Is there space in the L Caddy with a fat tube in there? I normally carry a spanner, multi-tool, tyre levers, surgical gloves and some patches in my seat pack

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by pjbaz View Post
    I like the idea of using the bottle cage.

I was hoping I could just use a 29er tube in a pinch to get out of the woods and back to my truck where the massive fatty tube was LOL
    you can use 29r tubes anytime, no need for anyting fat specific.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drofluf View Post
    Is there space in the L Caddy with a fat tube in there? I normally carry a spanner, multi-tool, tyre levers, surgical gloves and some patches in my seat pack
    The bottom pocket has enough room for me to put my multi-tool, wallet and 2 co2's. I put the patch kit and tire levers in the main pocket with the tube.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ianick View Post
    The bottom pocket has enough room for me to put my multi-tool, wallet and 2 co2's. I put the patch kit and tire levers in the main pocket with the tube.
    Now have one on the way

mtbr member
    I have enough room to carry a Q-Tube and multi tool in a large Topeak saddle bag. I carry my Crank Bros. pump in my pack or in jersey pocket.

Topeak® Cycling Accessories
    2010 Intense Spider 2
    2010 Ibis Tranny SS
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2
    2013 Salsa Spearfish 1
    2013 Trek Domane 5.2
    2014 Hakkalugi

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I carry the Bontrager 29x2.8 tube as a spare and it fits in my small/medium size seat pack with levers, Missing link and minitool. No inflate for the fat bike since I would need more than a few so I have a Lezyne floor drive mini pump mounted on the bottle cage mounts

Dr Gadget is IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Solrac the red View Post
    Has anyone used motorcycle tubes? You'll have to drill out the rim, but that's no biggy.
    I have a custom cruiser with a 24" x 3" rear tire on a 85mm wide rim that I used one on with great success. They're also cheaper!

I only ask because I will soon, hopefully, be a fat bike owner, if only the manufacturer would make more than 10 bikes at a time.
    Yes, 21" motorcycle tubes fit the fats nicely. Wider is better. I like the 3.25/3.50-21, but the 2.75/3.00-21 also works as does the 90/90-21
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pjbaz View Post
    I haven't done it with my fatty yet bc I haven't figured out the best way to carry one...but I wrap my 29er tubes in a sock and stick them in my camelback.
    I do the same thing, except I stick the sock down the front of my shorts... er... what? Nevermind.....

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob View Post
    I do the same thing, except I stick the sock down the front of my shorts... er... what? Nevermind.....
    hope the sock is large enough so when inflation time comes it can handle the volume.

Nemophilist
    Bigger seat pack;

Works great. Don't even know it is there. Better than having it taking up all the room in my Camelback. Having my spare tube always with the bike it fits (I ride 26, 29, & Fat) is them main advantage!
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

How much does it weigh?
    How much do the 21" motorcycle tubes weigh?

aka bOb
    I just throw it in a baggie and wrap black tape around it to the seatpost or any part of the bike I wish.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgschulze View Post
    I was just going to ask this same question. Surely they must weigh more than the Schrader-valved 2.5"-2.8" QBP DH tubes…
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

How much does it weigh?
    I bought a non-heavy duty 130/17 tube for my Supermoto, and it definitely weighed 500+ grams.

nvphatty
    a whole friggin lot, 2-3 x what a bike tube weighs

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I keep mine in a Sunlite 1/2 frame bag which still allows 2 bottle racks below, it's sold by J&B and cheap compared to the Q bag (tho there's is nicer)

Dr Gadget is IN
    I recall a weight similar to SurlyToobs - but can't find where I wrote it down. Maybe I'll remember to weigh one again.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Backcountry Research - Makers of the AWESOME STRAPS

I have almost every product they sell. Genius stuff

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I make sure the tube is completely devoid of air, put a stem cap on the valve and fold it flat in about a 6" length of folds. I use two elastic straps made from cut pieces of old tube and put those on each end of the folds. This keeps everything compact and flat for storage wherever. I keep mine in my hydro pack. I ride 29er typically but I only carry a 26" tube so it packs lighter and smaller. It's just for emergency get-back-to-the-truck situations anyway. I've had to use it only once, and that was when I ripped a hole in the side of my tubeless race tire on a concrete curb on the way to a bar to have beers. I've never had to use it on the trails in the 4 years I've been tubeless now...

Members who have read this thread: 0