carry spare tubes filled with tubeless brew or carry tubes + bottle of tubeless brew?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

carry spare tubes filled with tubeless brew or carry tubes + bottle of tubeless brew?

hey all,

great forum, going on my first real bikepack adventure next week and have a question about spare tubes + sealant. i did a search and didnt find anything, i assume this has been dealt with before??

background is i have a pugsley with homemade tubeless brew in the tubes and it has been great, no flats since i put sealant in. knowing me and how overly prepared i like to be, i wanna bring some spare tubes with me on my trip, but i dont trust just plain old tubes anymore, i want/need sealant.(or so i think)

so do i put sealant in them at home and carry the tubes, maybe not get a flat, and continue carrying them? will the sealant dry up and harden up eventually leaving me with bricklike wasted tubes/sealant in a couple months?

or do i carry 2 normal tubes and a bottle of sealant, hope it doesnt leak, and if i flat out there inject it on the road?

injecting it at home would be alot easier but not too bad out on the trail.(prestas)

thanks all

29er
    Apr 2010
    I would think a new/clean tube would pack smaller

Laramie, Wyoming
    I vote for separate. I think you are asking for issues to put sealant in the tubes ahead of time, not the least of which will be that they will be easier to pack separately.

Of course the first vote would be to go tubeless.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    care to share your brew?

mtbr member
    Another vote for seperate. Tubes will pack smaller and you can use the sealent on other tubes. If it was just day riding its nice to have the goo in tube to save time... not much of concern on a long trip

Smash Mode: ON
    I personally would not recommend running sealant in tubes ever. In fact, doing so left me in quite a predicament last week. I cannot wait to get tubeless set up again!
    Whatever floats your bike, dude

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Mustangs View Post
    I personally would not recommend running sealant in tubes ever. In fact, doing so left me in quite a predicament last week. I cannot wait to get tubeless set up again!
    I put some Stans in my Mukluk tubes for insurance-could you go into a bit of detail about your predicament so I can worry accurately?

mtbr member
    Another vote for separate. Works well for a friend of mine.

I often carry tubes with true-goo in them since they seem to have a long shelf life and it's convenient. Stan's is a different story, and best kept in a sealed container....

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Separate, pack one of everything extra to what you think you're likely to need

mtbr member
    Tubes and a puncture repair kit. Smaller, lighter, cheaper and easier to pack.

nvphatty
    Tubes and a puncture repair kit. Smaller, lighter, cheaper and easier to pack.
    agreed

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I've ran sealant in all my cheap tubes for years. All presta; remove the valve nut, tie a string to the valve stem, drop the stem into the tube, fill the tube with sealant, pull the valve stem out. Takes some practice and I wouldn't want to do that on the trail. Might not need to do that with some newer sealant which doesn't have chunks that get stuck in the presta stem.

Sealant in tubes works great. I've pulled out 1" thorns out of my Pugs tires on occasions and kept riding. The only problem is the tubes last for a long time. Once the sealant dries out, you have a super heavy tube that still works but you have to throw away since there's no way to remove the dried up chunks; unless you just don't care about the weight. My Pugs is 40lbs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesabaldwin View Post
    Separate, pack one of everything extra to what you think you're likely to need
    It is kind of sad to see where this forum has gone. I used to marvel over Coastkid and Dr Feelygoods videos and pictures and now we mostly have posts about how you are an idiot if you don't ride with integrated carbon fiber belt and suspenders combos. Sorry about the rant but I just woke up and it's still too icy to ride outside. It is nice that there are lots of bikes and riders out there but I do miss the days when it was all new.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    It is kind of sad to see where this forum has gone. I used to marvel over Coastkid and Dr Feelygoods videos and pictures and now we mostly have posts about how you are an idiot if you don't ride with integrated carbon fiber belt and suspenders combos. Sorry about the rant but I just woke up and it's still too icy to ride outside. It is nice that there are lots of bikes and riders out there but I do miss the days when it was all new.
    There's a Log Out facility.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I figure the spare tube full of sealant that I carry is also a bottle of sealant in and of itself. Where I live its thorns that cause flats and after running tubeless for a few months, I have many many thorns permanently living in my tire. If I put a tube in, it will instantly go flat(even if I try very hard to get out all the sharps), so slime in it is a necessity, but I figure I can squirt it out if I just need a refill or whatever.

But I wonder if there's issues with mixing your sealant with a bunch of talc/tube powder. I also would want to change out the sealant every year or 2. I use slime, so its pretty cheap and I've had great results with it fat and non-fat.

The tubes I use are removable core presta from qbp (q-lite), so adding sealant and removing it is easy.

Smash Mode: ON
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    I put some Stans in my Mukluk tubes for insurance-could you go into a bit of detail about your predicament so I can worry accurately?
    I put in an old tube that I thought would hold air and found it flat the next morning. It was undersized so I didn't even bother to try patching it. I had heard stans is not recommended for tubes but I had a bunch sitting here and nothing to loose so I dumped in 3 ounces or so. I aired it back up and could audibly hear the leak get plugged up with the stans. Held pressure fine over night. Took it for a 6 mile ride the next day, no issues. Took it for a 9 mile low pressure ride a few days later and it was flat about a mile in. Tried airing back up with no luck. When I pulled it most, if not all, of the stans had left the tube and was sitting in the tire. The tube was inspected and it was a single pinhole that caused all the trouble. I truly think I am cursed when it comes to tubes.
    Whatever floats your bike, dude

Members who have read this thread: 0