Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Don't know, I didn't come up with that scenario.

Personally I would't take a shot at a deer unless I was 100% certain that it was a deer. Deer move in a distinctively different way than humans, I think you'd need to be a pretty fair actor to replicate it decently.
    Funny how you focused on the tongue in cheek portion of my response vs the 3 completely reasonable factors that I pointed out.

"Hey, thanks for the heads up / reminder." - Happy (and safe) riding.

mtbr member
    Don't know, I didn't come up with that scenario.

Personally I would't take a shot at a deer unless I was 100% certain that it was a deer. Deer move in a distinctively different way than humans, I think you'd need to be a pretty fair actor to replicate it decently.
    People who drive cars don't intend to hit bicyclers either, but it happens because drivers are imperfect humans. Some drivers are tired, fatigued, distracted or complacent.

Just like hunters.

I can tell your not a hunter or that familiar with hunting from your responses. Nothing wrong with that, but listen to those who do and you might benefit from their perspective.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by toadmeister View Post
    People who drive cars don't intend to hit bicyclers either, but it happens because drivers are imperfect humans. Some drivers are tired, fatigued, distracted or complacent.
    True, and some bicyclists don't take responsibility for their own safety and run stop signs, ride outside of bike lanes, pull out right in front of cars in traffic. In the vast majority of cases, drivers/hunters are trying hard not to hurt someone through fatigue/distraction/complacency and all they might need to accomplish that is a little help from the bicyclists by not pulling out in front of them, obeying stop signs, or wearing blaze orange/neon green, or other approved safety color while riding in the woods during deer season.

mtbr member
    I can tell your not a hunter or that familiar with hunting from your responses. Nothing wrong with that, but listen to those who do and you might benefit from their perspective.

You're right I don't anymore but I did grow up hunting, my dad started me young. Anyway that's sort of my point, most people don't hunt and are often unaware that it's hunting season. You might benefit from that perspective.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member

Just like hunters.

Kind of a different deal than hunting because unlike hikers or mountain bikers every cyclist is aware they are riding through a sea of potential death. Similar though in that cyclists are usually injured not because they were doing something wrong but because the person wielding the deadly weapon wasn't paying attention.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    You're right I don't anymore but I did grow up hunting, my dad started me young. Anyway that's sort of my point, most people don't hunt and are often unaware that it's hunting season. You might benefit from that perspective.
    Hey, thanks for the heads up / reminder.

turtles make me hot
    I've seen plenty of beer cans left by bikers unfortunately.
    A few weeks ago we had a memorial ride for a friend who was killed. Older guy who was part of the ride threw a beer into the woods from his bike. I yelled at him. Turns out, he was the guy's uncle who the ride was for. Kinda awkward.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Different cultures in different parts of the country, I'm sure. Around here, opening of deer season is practically a state-wide holiday. Even if one was to ignore the warning signs about trail closure during firearms deer season, it's hard to imagine a Minnesotan that isn't aware.

I live in the central part of Minnesota...in the area where most of the rest of the state comes to go deer hunting. What Minnesotans call "Up North". This area is a sea of blaze orange for that two weeks. I can count on maybe a half-dozen or so falls from deer stands every season, maybe a heart attack or two and some other miscellaneous injuries. In 30 years, I've seen two firearms accidents...one guy shot himself in the leg while climbing into his deer stand, another was a guy about 15 years ago that got shot in the chest by an errant .308 round coming over the horizon from almost a mile away. That's about the same serious-injury rate that I see from the local mountain bike trails in any given two-week period during the summer. Around here, where deer hunting is a fundamental part of the culture, mountain bikers are in FAR more danger from themselves, their egos, and their riding skill than they are from hunters.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuyuna View Post
    Different cultures in different parts of the country, I'm sure. Around here, opening of deer season is practically a state-wide holiday. Even if one was to ignore the warning signs about trail closure during firearms deer season, it's hard to imagine a Minnesotan that isn't aware.

I live in the central part of Minnesota...in the area where most of the rest of the state comes to go deer hunting. What Minnesotans call "Up North". This area is a sea of blaze orange for that two weeks. I can count on maybe a half-dozen or so falls from deer stands every season, maybe a heart attack or two and some other miscellaneous injuries. In 30 years, I've seen two firearms accidents...one guy shot himself in the leg while climbing into his deer stand, another was a guy about 15 years ago that got shot in the chest by an errant .308 round coming over the horizon from almost a mile away. That's about the same serious-injury rate that I see from the local mountain bike trails in any given two-week period during the summer. Around here, where deer hunting is a fundamental part of the culture, mountain bikers are in FAR more danger from themselves, their egos, and their riding skill than they are from hunters.
    Great point, hunting related injuries are very low compared to biking and automobiles statistically.

As the old saying goes, im safer with a gun in the woods hunting than driving to where I hunt. I think the same is probably true for biking.

mtbr member
    ....sorta beating a dead horse here..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123