Carbon or Titanium Fat Bike Frame- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Carbon or Titanium Fat Bike Frame

Looking to build up a new fat bike over the summer. Currently running Aluminum, but want to upgrade to something better/lighter. Am torn between going with Ti or carbon.

Anybody have any insight on which way to go? Mostly ride packed singletrack in winter and want something that I can ride in the summer as well.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If you want lighter you pretty much have to go carbon, unless you have a heavier than average aluminum frame. Titanium is heavier than aluminum and, in general, high end aluminum and ti frames are fairly equivalent weightwise. All three can be made into great frames.
    FWIW, We have an old ti Fatback @ 1850g for a large, a small aluminum Fatback at just under 1700g and a medium Mukluk @ just over 2000g.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Go for carbon rims first. There's not a huge saving in the frame weight.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

Rocking on a Rocky
    Mayor US made Ti is 3.25 lbs Aluminum is 4 lbs 1 oz. If it is a summer bike are you looking at a 170 mm rear?
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

This place needs an enema
    Every carbon frame I've ridden has felt harsh to me. Too stiff.

I have yet to ride a ti bike that could be described as too stiff, though (in theory) I know it is possible.

aka bOb
    I'm fairly stiff every time I ride my ti bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I had a had a carbon bike (Beargrease) and sold it in favor of a Ti Mukluk... The difference in ride quality is noticeably smoother and livelier on the Ti bike. If weight it the leading decision maker go with carbon... you will be thrilled... if you want a bike with a personality and an amazing ride... go Ti...

Just my .02... YMMV

Elitest thrill junkie
    Most people out on trails and racing here in AK are on carbon bikes. That sounds snobbish of course, but there are many benefits, weight, poor heat-transfer, the vibration thing. I'm totally sold on it, even if my current ride suddenly explodes into a million carbon shards. Getting on a carbon bike with carbon rims and wide studded tires totally transformed my riding this year, I'm out riding much more and the bike is more capable, from lofting it over obstacles to reducing the heat-sink effect. Now, you can get most of these benefits by using carbon for most of the components, but then your metal frame choice won't really have any advantage, just be a bit heavier, and if it's approaching the weight of carbon, it won't be structurally sound enough to be decently stiff. If you can swing it, I highly recommend it, along with the carbon wheels.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Most people out on trails and racing here in AK are on carbon bikes. That sounds snobbish of course, but there are many benefits, weight, poor heat-transfer, the vibration thing. I'm totally sold on it, even if my current ride suddenly explodes into a million carbon shards. Getting on a carbon bike with carbon rims and wide studded tires totally transformed my riding this year, I'm out riding much more and the bike is more capable, from lofting it over obstacles to reducing the heat-sink effect. Now, you can get most of these benefits by using carbon for most of the components, but then your metal frame choice won't really have any advantage, just be a bit heavier, and if it's approaching the weight of carbon, it won't be structurally sound enough to be decently stiff. If you can swing it, I highly recommend it, along with the carbon wheels.
    I pretty much agree with this. Carbon is ultra-light, not as cold as any metal, and quite honestly I can't notice a 'too stiff' issue. I've had a ti hardtail SS for many years and I simply can't feel it's more compliant than any aluminum or carbon bike I've ridden (although I'm sure it is). Add suspension into the mix and it's a different topic.

aka bOb
    Get the carbon one your tongue won't get stuck to it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Carbon or Titanium Fat Bike Frame-image.jpgI have 3 Ti bikes (mukluk, lynskey 29er, litespeed road) and all have a nice slightly springy feel. But IMHO you buy Ti for aesthetics and longhaul durability. Carbon frames these days are pretty good. I have two, no complaints, but for some reason Ti satisfies. Ymmv.