Carbon flat handlebar - 750mm wide, but with > 11deg backsweep??- Mtbr.com
    LCW
    mtbr member

New question here. Carbon flat handlebar - 750mm wide, but with > 11deg backsweep??

Is there such a piece in existence? Salsa has the Bend 2 bar available in 750 width, and 17deg backsweep, but sadly only in aluminum.

Looking for a carbon bar, since the aluminum one is a big heat sink, especially on 0F days or colder.

The stock bar on my Wednesday is 750, 11 deg, aluminum. It's flat, no rise.

Cheers

PS - not looking, not interested in cheap chinese eBay crap bars.

Santa Cruz Hightower LT

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The Salsa Salt Flat 1 is the bar you want.. 750mm 11 degree sweep and carbon.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=64839

LCW
    mtbr member
    I may check it out... but I'm thinking I want more than 11 deg.... as that's what I have now.

Santa Cruz Hightower LT

This place needs an enema
    Grip material is far more important than bar material when it comes to keeping your hands warm. Choose (or make) the right grips and bar material doesn't matter at all. Cork works OK, but wrapping your current grips in neoprene is the bees knees. One of my friends bought a used wetsuit from a thrift store and has cut fabric from it to make winter grip covers. Others bought bolts of fabric from eBay. Choose the thickness based on personal preferences.

Using this setup, inside of a light pogie, I wear my normal summer riding gloves down to about -20*f. I swap to a thin fleece gas-station glove ($9/pair) from -20 down to about -60. Edit: forgot to mention that this is on metal bars. Couldn't get carbon ones wide enough, nor with enough sweep.

Solutions don't have to be expensive, but we've been conditioned to think that they are.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Grip material is far more important than bar material when it comes to keeping your hands warm. Choose (or make) the right grips and bar material doesn't matter at all. Cork works OK, but wrapping your current grips in neoprene is the bees knees. One of my friends bought a used wetsuit from a thrift store and has cut fabric from it to make winter grip covers. Others bought bolts of fabric from eBay. Choose the thickness based on personal preferences.

Using this setup, inside of a light pogie, I wear my normal summer riding gloves down to about -20*f. I swap to a thin fleece gas-station glove ($9/pair) from -20 down to about -60.

Solutions don't have to be expensive, but we've been conditioned to think that they are.
    Sounds like good advice. If he doesn't take it then there's a certain itch in his pants for fancy carbon (which is fine, but call it what it is).

mtbr member
    The Answer 20/20(carbon/720wide) is a great bar if you need rise or drop, just feels good on the fat.

banned
    Syntace Vector:

Syntace

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post

Using this setup, inside of a light pogie, I wear my normal summer riding gloves down to about -20*f. I swap to a thin fleece gas-station glove ($9/pair) from -20 down to about -60. Edit: forgot to mention that this is on metal bars. Couldn't get carbon ones wide enough, nor with enough sweep.

Thanks for the suggestions... I'll give those some consideration. My primary desire is trying out a bar with a bit more backsweep. I'm finding 11 deg on the fatbike feels like it's not enough. Would like to try 17 deg.

The cold aspect is somewhat is secondary. I don't have cold hands usually as much as some, so it's not a major priority, more like a "nice to have".

Santa Cruz Hightower LT

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Lots of discussion here last week http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/han...on-999448.html

mtbr member
    Dec 2015

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopbreakindown View Post
    The Answer 20/20(carbon/720wide) is a great bar if you need rise or drop, just feels good on the fat.
    720 wide... no go

Santa Cruz Hightower LT

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BigZeee View Post
    I was about to post the exact thing. Bought one on sale (about same as current price) on Black Friday. It's been great. Wider, stiffer, lighter, more dampening (of course I really notice), 2-year warranty from well-known manufacturer, cheap.