Thread: Carbon Farley

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Carbon Farley

Anybody have any intel on a new Carbon Farley?
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76 Flickr

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shoo View Post
    Anybody have any intel on a new Carbon Farley?
    They're listed on this store's site:
    Fat Bikes | Leisure Lakes Bikes

There's already a discussion about it in the Trek Farley thread.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I found this Picture.

Farley_9
    by bdroit, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks! I missed that. It did not come up when I searched. I did not think to look in the 2015 thread since it is a 2016. My bad!

Quote Originally Posted by Aceldama View Post
    They're listed on this store's site:
    Fat Bikes | Leisure Lakes Bikes

There's already a discussion about it in the Trek Farley thread.

aka bOb
    27.5 x 3.8 tires. Lots of cool stuff coming from Trek this year, can't wait.

Yeah lets' bury new stuff on page 52 of a thread of the wrong year, not!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I am not the best at counting when numbers exceed the amount of fingers I have, but I am pretty sure there are 11 gears on the back. Is this something new Trek is doing?

MIND BLOWN!

mtbr member
    Also appears to have adjustable rear drop outs for the thruaxle. Must be to accommodate the 26 and 27.5+ wheelsets.
    MacGyver is my spirit animal

-Until proven wrong, assume you are the weak link in any system-

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by WSUPolar View Post
    Also appears to have adjustable rear drop outs for the thruaxle. Must be to accommodate the 26 and 27.5+ wheelsets.
    Yeah I saw a close up of it, pretty cool system they have going on with some good tire weights as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    27.5 x 3.8 tires. Lots of cool stuff coming from Trek this year, can't wait.

Yeah lets' bury new stuff on page 52 of a thread of the wrong year, not!!
    I was pointing out that there's a discussion going elsewhere because there was more info already there if he wanted it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    I am not the best at counting when numbers exceed the amount of fingers I have, but I am pretty sure there are 11 gears on the back. Is this something new Trek is doing?

MIND BLOWN!
    Name:  2e0.jpg
Views: 4120
Size:  13.5 KB

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceldama View Post
    I was pointing out that there's a discussion going elsewhere because there was more info already there if he wanted it.
    Ah sorry my bad, I've been getting sick of the threads Nazi's as of late.

mtbr member
    Just what I been waiting for from trek. WAs waiting for a plastic farley..
    Trek Equinox 9.9 TTL, Trek Madone 6.9 Project One, Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Fuel 9.0, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9,BGXX1

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Looks like they had a productive winter in Wisconsin. The bikes clear 5" tires and they managed to keep the same Q factor.

Carbon frame and fork together weigh 1850 grams. Supposedly lightened the Alloy fork up 200 grams.

And a new 4.7 tire to top it all off.

aka bOb
    I believe they said the new 4.7 was 1305 grams or something like that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    That seems pretty good. I like the Hodag, do you know if the new tire is the same tread?

I believe they said the new 4.7 was 1305 grams or something like that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Very cool looking bikes! I'm now glad I resisted picking up a Farley 8, as Trek has gone full fat!

I wonder if any of the higher end Farleys will be available with 26" wheels or if it will be a DIY job?

Maybe it is just the pics, but the 27.5" tires seem to have a bit less casing/girth to them, which I find equals less traction in the snow. Would probably work better for summer trails though.

Edit: Unless they have a different Bluto, looking at the farley 9 it looks like the 27.5 fat is similar diameter to the 26" as Buds don't have much clearance with a Bluto. That would mean less squishy tire.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

aka bOb
    That seems pretty good. I like the Hodag, do you know if the new tire is the same tread?
    I couldn't really tell if it was the 27.5 tire or the 4.7 or both that had the same tread as the Hodag. I have a bunch of hardpack and road miles on the Hodag (front only) now on my 52's and really digging it as well. Prolly the best tire/rim combo for the summer I have ever had in the front.. Excited to see a 120tpi version for the back.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    A friend sent me some more info. It appears they kept the same tread pattern.

Looks like the perfect tire for full suspension Fattys, shorter sidewalls for less bounce.

Carbon Farley-fat-fat.jpg

aka bOb
    If those 4.7's really come in around 1300 grams I'm going to have a very hard time keeping them off my bike next winter.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Nice bikes from Trek. I knew it was only a matter of time before they gave into the wider tire option. Didn't think it would be this soon.

Kinda wondering if Giant will finally jump in and if or when Trek/Specialized will come out with a FS fat bike.

If they don't I might have to go the bucksaw route next year.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    That 27.5 / 3.8 bike is literally going to fly off the shelves. That is sooo sweet.

This place needs an enema
    From Trek's dealer website this AM:

FARLEY Frequently Asked Questions

What has changed on the MY16 Farley?
    New carbon and alloy models have been redesigned with 197mm rear spacing to accept wider 5” tires or the new 27.5 x 4” tires, and we’ve managed to do this without sacrificing the pedaling performance of the Farley. Thanks to the new PF121 bottom bracket, the q-factor remains unchanged despite the greater tire clearance.
    The Farley 9.8 will be one of the lightest mainline fat bikes on the market.

Are those new rigid forks?
    Farley 5 features a new alloy fork that saves 250 grams over the previous fork. There is a new light weight 600-gram carbon fork with an alloy steerer on Farley 7 and 9.6. Farley 9.8 gets a new carbon fork with a carbon steerer. At 550 grams, it’s among the lightest carbon forks on the market.
    What’s the weight of the carbon frame?
    1300 grams for a size 17.5

Are those carbon wheels on the Farley 9.8?
    Yes. The Farley 9.8 has a new carbon wheel called the Wampa. It’s a hookless bead and is ready to go tubeless out of the box so you can have the lightest fat bike out there.

What’s the rear hub spacing?
    The new Farley is 197mm to accommodate 5” tires. That’s increased from the previous Farley that was 177mm rear hub spacing for 4” tires.

What’s the story with the new 27.5” x 4” fat bike wheel system? Is it really that much bigger? Why would I want it?
    The outer diameter of 27.5x4 and 26x5 wheel system (wheel + tire) are within a couple of millimeters of each other. A wider 26x5 wheel system offers the most capability in loose terrain. The 27.5x4 wheel system offers a faster solution great for groomed snow singletrack and dirt trails.

Do all models accept 26x5 or 27.5x4 wheel systems?
    Yes. The Stranglehold Dropout is a horizontal sliding dropout that can be fine-tuned to accept both wheel systems.

Who will have 27.5x4 aftermarket wheels? Tires?
    Wheels: Sun Ringle already has 27.5x80mm rims available. Other manufacturers will be coming out with 27.5 fat wheels as well.
    Tires: Bontrager, Kenda and Maxxis will offer 27.5x4 and there will be more to come as the popularity of 27.5x4 increases.

If 27.5x4 and 26x5 are nearly the same outer diameter, why do you need a sliding horizontal dropout?
    Fat bikes are ridden on a variety of terrain. There versatility is what makes them so appealing. A longer wheelbase works great on loose, uneven terrain like loose snow or primitive terrain. A shorter wheelbase works great on groomed singletrack or dirt singletrack.

What is the bottom bracket width?Did the q-factor increase?
    It is a press-fit 121mm bottom bracket, but the Q-factor did not increase over the MY15 Farley.

Will Farley be available as a frameset?
    Yes. There will be a carbon frame with carbon fork/carbon steerer offered as a frameset later in the year.

Availability timing?
    September 1 for the alloy models and October 1 for the carbon models.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    A friend sent me some more info. It appears they kept the same tread pattern.

Looks like the perfect tire for full suspension Fattys, shorter sidewalls for less bounce.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fat-fat.jpg 
Views:	3285 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	980089
    Yeah, the more I thought about it the more it seems that this would be a tire best suited for a full squish bike. Would allow you to run higher pressures without the basketball bounce that occurs on bumpy downhill sections.

This site has prices listed: Fat Bikes - decorahbicycles.com
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    5 grand. Holy crap.
    "Wait- I am confused" - SDMTB'er

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    5 grand. Holy crap.
    Typical Trek high priced retail web-site stuff. No Trek store is going to charge that (I don't think). BUT, it's a sweet bike that is going to bring good money. Compare it to a rigid Echo, then consider the Echo doesn't have carbon rims. Not so bad now. Assuming that 5 grand figure is the model with carbon rims....which I am not sure of now that I typed this. Anyone?

mtbr member

Spec sheet

My bikes--2014 Trek Fuel EX 8-29er, 2014 Trek Crossrip Elite, 2015 Trek Farley 6.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Assuming you can buy it for $4,400ish, that is a very fair price when you compare it to what's out there and what it is.

Living the thug life.
    I just don't understand why fatbikes need a 27.5" wheel. I can fully understand a 27.5"+ for summer use, but a full fat 27.5" just seems silly. It is just a hair bigger diameter and very little increased tire patch. Just my opinion.
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Logantri View Post
    I just don't understand why fatbikes need a 27.5" wheel. I can fully understand a 27.5"+ for summer use, but a full fat 27.5" just seems silly. It is just a hair bigger diameter and very little increased tire patch. Just my opinion.
    I bet it's going to completely kick ass and I have every intention of buying one.

Living the thug life.
    Why though? A 26" fat is already at a regular 29" diameter. Everything else about the bike looks pretty cool, I just don't get why the 27.5".
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Why though? A 26" fat is already at a regular 29" diameter. Everything else about the bike looks pretty cool, I just don't get why the 27.5".
    Ask yourself what your first thought was when you saw your first fat bike. Probably the same thing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I can understand it on a FS bike in the summer as it would cut the bounce, but for winter use it would seem to have less pluses and more minuses than a 26X5" tire. The lessor sidewall would limit low psi running as you would risk banging and ruining a expensive rim, and the smaller girth and width would shrink the contact area. It would seem to me that the 27.5 would be a step down from the even 26X4" tires in terms of winter and low traction scenarios. For summer use it would likely be superior, but I'm not sure a full rigid carbon Farley 9.8 would be my first choice for trail riding.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

aka bOb
    I agree, doesn't make any sense to me either.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Something tells me when you guys ride it you're gonna say, "BADASS".

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I'm hoping that they have a 26"x5" option for the more expensive bikes.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I am agrement on several of the above statements. I think the 27 fat is a great idea for full suspension, with shorter sidewalls you have less bounce to deal with. I was shocked when I saw the high end carbon comes with 27 tires. The nice thing is if you buy the frame you can run what ever size you choose and I choose 26". The bummer is most production bikes have a BB height that I deem too low for where I ride and how I like to ride. If I got a frame and put 26x4 tires on for summer use I would be dragging pedals. Kinda a buzz kill.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Why talk about rim diameter? Buy the frameset and put whatever components you want on it.
    I like bikes

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by yzedf View Post
    Why talk about rim diameter?
    Because it's something new and can't be ignored, jut not possible

(that and we need a life)

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Just sets the stage to sell every "Super Store" devotee a new platform when they come out with 29x5 in another year or two.

Would it have been easier to just do that the first time? Of course, but then they'd miss the chance to milk your wallet again.

650B fat, couldn't have come from a more perfect source. A bike for each and every purpose, and never shall you use it for anything but.

Love their labeling of bikes. Had a skinny tired, (what sure looked like a road bike to my eyes) come in, only to be told by the sticker that it was a "Racing Bike". Oh, sorry, didn't realize one couldn't use it for a 60 mile scoot around the countryside with friends, I'll look for the proper sticker next purchase, just to be sure I don't make that mistake again, was wondering why it kept trying to buck me off at anything less than 23 mph. Oy.

I already have that diameter in 29+. Give me something larger diameter and fatter, and without their logos emblazoned 80,000 times all over the thing, till then, meh....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Just sets the stage to sell every "Super Store" devotee a new platform when they come out with 29x5 in another year or two.

Would it have been easier to just do that the first time? Of course, but then they'd miss the chance to milk your wallet again.

650B fat, couldn't have come from a more perfect source. A bike for each and every purpose, and never shall you use it for anything but.

Love their labeling of bikes. Had a skinny tired, (what sure looked like a road bike to my eyes) come in, only to be told by the sticker that it was a "Racing Bike". Oh, sorry, didn't realize one couldn't use it for a 60 mile scoot around the countryside with friends, I'll look for the proper sticker next purchase, just to be sure I don't make that mistake again, was wondering why it kept trying to buck me off at anything less than 23 mph. Oy.

I already have that diameter in 29+. Give me something larger diameter and fatter, and without their logos emblazoned 80,000 times all over the thing, till then, meh....
    Not a Trek fan then?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    So Super Stores are the enemy now? Hmmm, I always had a soft spot in my heart for my LBS, but you're saying when they reach a certain size they are bad? Super Stores carry the big brands that put pressure on other bike makers to step up their game, so even if you don't want to ride a Trek, you've probably benefitted from them at some point. I think it's odd so many people are poo-poo'ing this new platform and I am 100% certain it's because they are coming from Trek. If Borealis or (insert your favorite bike brand here) did it I am thinking this would have been better received by those dissing it now. Also interesting so many people have already made up their mind without even riding it. Weird. Here I always thoughts MTN bikers were more amenable and open minded than roadies.

Nope, not for along time.

Once they decided to turn into an "empire" and started to shut down long standing dealers who wouldn't acquiesce to their strong arm tactics regarding what brands you can stock, forced inventory growth, etc, I lost all respect. Ditto for Specialized if that helps.

Nothing but respect for any brand that allows IBD's to do what they do best. Make choices that fit well for the region they operate in, buy inventory that they can live with financially, etc.

IBD. Independent Bike Dealer.

The "I" should mean something, and as soon as it doesn't, and one finds themselves surrounded by every blessed item bearing the same label, not only does it get painfully dull, one could easily get the impression that cradle to grave with the same brand is "the best" way to be.

Me? I'll take my Lenz bike, Cateye computer, Park or CrankBrothers multi tools, Wingnut hydration pack with a Platypus bladder, Sidi shoes, Shimano pedals, Sram cassette, Salsa bars, Surly cranks, SportLegs capsules, Ibex jersey, Smartwool socks, Pearl Izumi shorts, Stans rims, DT Swiss hubs and spokes, Continental tires, and Skratch Labs nutrition, any day over BonTreker or Specialized everything...

Choice, that's what it's about, and they desperately want you to forget that, and give them ALL your disposable cash.

I think I'd be less bothered if they'd just gone 29 Fat....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Yikes. That's a lot of anger inside you there my man. Trek wants to do biz with certain shops, in a certain way, if you don't like it you are free to part ways. Doesn't make one side wrong and the other right, just different. It's called free enterprise and the freedom to choose, I battle it every day with my business as well. America works great that way, everyone is free to choose what suits them best and change is necessary sometimes. Looks to me like Trek's way of doing biz has paid off well for them.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedaddict View Post
    I think it's odd so many people are poo-poo'ing this new platform and I am 100% certain it's because they are coming from Trek. If Borealis or (insert your favorite bike brand here) did it I am thinking this would have been better received by those dissing it now. Also interesting so many people have already made up their mind without even riding it. Weird. Here I always thoughts MTN bikers were more amenable and open minded than roadies.
    You couldn't be more wrong on why I don't care for the idea, I have no relationship issues with any bike manufacture. I just don't so much care for the height of 29+ or the bigger 4.8" tires. You say we already made up our mind but you pretty much did the same thing and drinking the whole glass of Kool=Aide yourself before ever swinging a leg over and decided it would be the best ever. I don't see any advantage to a tall skinny tire, tell me exactly what you expect to gain beside a little less tire bounce and I can control that with air pressure. I see more pinch flats and rim strikes at low psi. I see a foot print that's smaller than a 4.8 especially at low psi.

Sorry dude insult me, call me a roadie, whatever but speaking from my experience which is a lot I don't really see it as as "the best thing since sliced bread"

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Me? I'll take my Lenz bike, Cateye computer, Park or CrankBrothers multi tools, Wingnut hydration pack with a Platypus bladder, Sidi shoes, Shimano pedals, Sram cassette, Salsa bars, Surly cranks, SportLegs capsules, Ibex jersey, Smartwool socks, Pearl Izumi shorts, Stans rims, DT Swiss hubs and spokes, Continental tires, and Skratch Labs nutrition, any day over BonTreker or Specialized everything...
    But inquiring readers really want to know what chamois cream soothes your gooch?

aka bOb
    Didn't need that in my head today^^^^

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    New platforms are always met with criticism . Going back to full suspension...It was supposed too flexy, wasted energy on the climbs, etc. 29er wheels. Too heavy, don't need it. 4'' tires, how many of us looked at our first 4'' tire and thought, that's dumb. Gotta be heavy and rides like a pig. Same with 5'' tires. I don't weigh that much, don't need that kind of float. I am always excited about new platforms because they are almost always better, or at least another way to have fun on a bike. You've already decided it's stupid platform and I will bet you anything this new platform will grow like crazy and everybody will be making this soon. Trek will probably have trouble keeping up with the demand. Yes, I am drinking the kool-aid because I have never been excited about a new platform, and not had my expectations met, ever. Full boinger, fat bikes, 29er plus, I was excited for all of them and I was right about all of them, this will be no different. So you go ahead and hate something you haven't even ridden yet, whatev's. As far as what I said about Trek, lots of people hate them so much they can't see what great bikes they make. That is 100% true. whether or not you fall into that category doesn't make it less true.

aka bOb
    OK let me ask you then, what advantages do you expect to see with this tire size?

Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    But inquiring readers really want to know what chamois cream soothes your gooch?
    Paceline Butt'R baby!

Sorry Bob....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    im interested in this size: it does seem a curious move, but it might pay dividends and in some ways, why not? (if you have the capability - build it and they will come?)

i reckon the diameter is worked to end up at the 29+ ish /770mm or so. 650b+ is coming in just under 730mm, for Trailblazers at 2.8" (nominally) width. so, 20 ish mm more width and radius?

29+ rolls over trail guff beautifully. with seemingly lighter and lighter tyres these days and the application of judicious carbon (rims) and tubeless, it would be interesting to see where wheel weight ends up in compariosn to 29+, but i suspect it will be potentially close, leaving one to choose based on performance alone.

Travis Brown was in some article recently talking about wheel diameter and width testing he was doing for Trek/Bonty. he seems to have his head screwed on as well as being able to approach things objectively. if resource allowed testing this out and it came out favourably, maybe (suspend disbelief) it will be pretty good. of course, it could be marketing, but hey ho...

i keep coming back to a comment Walt made recently on these boards - choice! we've never had it so good!....its amazing to think that soon, we may have the ability to pick and choose our wheel sizes and diameters (frames allowing) for our own applications and body sizes. amazing!...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    For one, and it's the biggy, I think it opens up the door to full boinger fatties. Frame makers will drool over this IMO.

Tire weights for two. My 14 y/o son, who is gotten waay into cycling, it will be the perfect one bike for him. Tires big enough for snow, maybe not perfect, but close enough, yet the tires light enough for year round single track as well.

Adjustable CS lengths on the new Farley's? How is that not completely exciting? We got one when we got the other. Yes I know at least one other frame maker is doing that, none of them in my area and I support my LBS 100% so if it ain't sold here, it means less to me.

As far as what I said about Trek, lots of people hate them so much they can't see what great bikes they make. That is 100% true.
    Seems you're not addicted to the right brand anymore.

As for wheel size, I'm simply not a B fan unless it's in the traditional sense, plump tires on a roadie.

Simply a tweener size for folks who have nothing better to get worked up about than 29 is too big. We already have a smaller size for those riders.

Micro, ultra segmentation of wheel/tire sizes just leads to dead end, vestigial product. Anyone for a 700D wheel? Thought not. And yes, they were really a thing for about 30 seconds too.

Next step beyond 26 fat, would logically be 29 fat, were it up to me, which of course, it's not.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I haven't owned a Litespeed or for that matter a Trek, in forever. That's a really old name, but back then I had a BUNCH of Litespeed's. It was a sickness, haven't been completely cured yet, bike sickness that is. Litespeed just doesn't do it for me anymore.

aka bOb
    I must have missed it, what is the advertised weight of the new 27.5 fat tire?

As far as adjustable dropout's I thought we where talking tire size but I have 3 fat bikes that have em so really it's not new news.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I swear I read it at 1100+/- Translation, awesome.

mtbr member
    Micro, ultra segmentation of wheel/tire sizes just leads to dead end, vestigial product. Anyone for a 700D wheel?

MCS: viewed another way, survival of the fittest? i cant imagine 26"x2-2.3 surviving. why would it except for kids? does it have any advantage over 27.5/650b?

is b plus a 'thing', per se, or merely supporting the hypothesis that now we can all reliably run tubeless, and as a result, pressures can be run lower, bigger tyres and rims (now that they can be lighter) are generally a quite good thing? i dunno.

i think youre probs right, there will be some sizes that become less used, some more. time and the market will tell. the issue with wheels as they start getting to 30+" diameter is bending everythign around them whilst mainitaining good riding geo. in saying that, look at the Jones plus. it looks odd admitedly, but i wouldnt bet against it until ive ridden it.

i guess we'll see, but this decade feels a whole lot better than previously when i could choose between irc mythos in 1.9 ish or wtb nano raptors for my new 29er...

aka bOb
    I swear I read it at 1100+/- Translation, awesome.
    Plus a little extra for added rim size, meh we will seeing 26 4.0's in that range soon enough. I have tried the 29er plus platform and I didn't care for it, just too tall. That and I am only 5'8" so maybe that has something to do with it

Edit: I do like the Hodag tread though, one of my favs and I believe they reported a 120 tpi version coming out.

mtbr member
    I wholly agree: if it was Salsa or Borealis or somebody making these same announcements, many posters here would be bending over backwards to suck that dick.

I have a Farley 6, getting a new one hasn't even crossed my mind. Though that purple is really sweet.
    it's a challenge some of us are ultimately worthy of.

aka bOb
    I do love purple!!! I really do like the direction Trek has headed with these and I can't wait to throw a leg over one. I'm a fan of whoever comes out with cool stuff. Plus being a WI boy Trek has really supported the scene here and that really means a lot to me. Still not sold on the 27.5 fat but that is the awesome thing about biking and tire size choices, I don't have to like em because we have so so many so bring em on!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    OK let me ask you then, what advantages do you expect to see with this tire size?
    It does... It goes ... It's got... and umm yeah.

Who needs chamois cream? Just use Gold Bonds powder

mtbr member
    I tend to think 27.5 fat will succeed not because it's truly better, but because 27.5 is all the craze now. When an uneducated fatbike buyer sees a 26 and a 27.5 bike, he's going to pick the 27.5 because it's more enduro.

mtbr member

Once they decided to turn into an "empire" and started to shut down long standing dealers who wouldn't acquiesce to their strong arm tactics regarding what brands you can stock, forced inventory growth, etc, I lost all respect. Ditto for Specialized if that helps.

Nothing but respect for any brand that allows IBD's to do what they do best. Make choices that fit well for the region they operate in, buy inventory that they can live with financially, etc.

The "I" should mean something, and as soon as it doesn't, and one finds themselves surrounded by every blessed item bearing the same label, not only does it get painfully dull, one could easily get the impression that cradle to grave with the same brand is "the best" way to be.

Choice, that's what it's about, and they desperately want you to forget that, and give them ALL your disposable cash.

I agree with you on most of your points. I am certainly not a fan-boy. I have stayed away from Spec for the exact reasons you have enumerated. I was really not going to go with Trek until I went into the shop and was blown away by how great the people there are. Granted, they are the same folks who started 9 Zero 7 and have a long history in the area with their other bike shop.

That said, would I buy another Trek? Probably not. Heck, if the price is right, I'll sell my Farley 6 today. At the time that I bought it I needed (wanted, really) a new bike and for the budget I had it was the best value in terms of quality of components and fit and finish. Which is, unfortunately, where the big boys excel.

If I had my druthers I'd have gone with a Fatback or 9zero7, but being on a tight budget and having a wife that doesn't (refuses to) understand the difference between a Walmart bike and a bike shop bike, well, it is a hard sell to get her to see that a 2300 dollar base model 907 with a slightly lower groupo is the better investment than a 1800 dollar big-box bike with slightly better groupo.

So, with that, I think it is important for all fatbikers to have the big boys come into the picture. Though I don't think much innovation will come from these guys unless they can tie it directly to a way to make more money.

And just so everyone knows - I don't use chamois cream.

Just sayin'

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I could see going 27.5x3 to reduce weight for summer wheels, but don't see any advantage to 27.5x4 over 26x4(except for maybe a full squish bike). It's nice the new models have the option of running 5.x tires and the sliding dropouts. Not enough for me to sell the 6 and 'upgrade' though. I can run a 5.x up front and a Van Helga rear if I want and I'm sure that would be more than sufficient for my location.

mtbr member
    What happens if the winter fatbike racing gets limited to 26" only...
    Marin Bobcat Trail 29er - Trek Farley 8

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I would seriously hope this would never happen........

Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Just sayin'
    Thanks, glad you see where I'm coming from.

Basically, I'm a huge proponent of the little guy. I understand not everyone can afford boutique, and often, smaller can have the potential to mean cheaper, due to less overhead, a more nuanced understanding of the market and ones customers, etc.

Trek has along history of phagocytosis regarding smaller names, and the ground behind them is littered with the bones of the engulfed.

Fat bikes weren't even on their radar until they became hip, ditto for 29ers (they let Gary Fisher do all the heavy lifting, then killed his namesake brand as well).

Ugh. Back to mega bike company discussion, or, was it weird wheel size, dunno, I get so confused!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn View Post
    MCS:
    Choice is good, I'll give you that, 100%. I'd also agree that the + concept is great, I love my 29+ bikes, (now if Surly would just get that damn Dirt Wizard coming...).

My issue is more visceral I guess. I wouldn't be a fan of 650B+(+++?) if anyone else came out with it either, as it'll just lead to confusion in the market. Customers agonizing over which of the plethora of options to choose from. Analysis paralysis if you will.

That Trek, who avoided anything niche related like the plague for so long, is now rushing new standards to market, as if, A, we desperately needed them, or B, as if they are at the forefront of anything ground breaking beyond making a buck on a new trend, just puts sand in my shorts (and no amount of chamois cream will solve that).

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    It does... It goes ... It's got... and umm yeah.

Who needs chamois cream? Just use Gold Bonds powder
    27.5+ has what MTB'ers crave.... 27.5+ has electrolytes....

'17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Any idea on when the new Farley will be available? I keep reading fall. Thought someone here would have more details.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderzy View Post
    Any idea on when the new Farley will be available? I keep reading fall. Thought someone here would have more details.
    August if you pre order one now
    Marin Bobcat Trail 29er - Trek Farley 8

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    So 26x5 for exploring the ungroomed and 27.5x4 for groomers and hardpack.....

Ok so who's interested in a set of carbon wheels/tires off my 9.8 in the fall??

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

I know this posting is from a long time ago, but as always Mendon tells it like it is..

The funny part is as much as I hate them now I have three treks, the three of them came to me with cracks and pretty much for free, since is no way I hell i will give those guys my money..

Some road bike something, my friend unclip on a sprint and land on the top tube, Gone..

Hand made (Custom layering he tells me) and painted whatever the dooper use to ride

Another friend kick a rock and the rock kick the frame, no warranty, Mine.

Bah to complicated with the pictures, imagine Fisher super caliber carbon

A few days ago I found this on craigslist, same thing I rock jump from the ground and crack the frame on the side "seam"(Is a Bulge on the Farley 9.8), came undone like a Zipper, Design mistake...? oh no never..
    Carbon Farley-bb196f99-d6c7-4b74-a7be-41e0e9c8be50-m.jpg

One last night..

Specialized water bottles, but only if I get them for free from the shop, that way they are in theory lossing money

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Yikes. That's a lot of anger inside you there my man. Trek wants to do biz with certain shops, in a certain way, if you don't like it you are free to part ways. Doesn't make one side wrong and the other right, just different. It's called free enterprise and the freedom to choose, I battle it every day with my business as well. America works great that way, everyone is free to choose what suits them best and change is necessary sometimes. Looks to me like Trek's way of doing biz has paid off well for them.
    Yeah is great when the pull the carpet from under you with out a second notice...

mtbr member

Carbon Farley

Two types of bike shops:

One is guys that like to ride and took a chance on opening a shop. Know nothing about business, Drink beer at work, give away crazy discounts to all their friends.

The other is ran like a business and is actually profitable.

Trek is buying up #1 and turning it into #2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Can anyone confirm what size of crown spacer I need to clesr a mastodon on a large 2019 carbon Farley? What part # is compatible? Thanks