mtbr member
    Oct 2018

Canyon dude 4“ to 4,8“ Tires

Hi, can someone explain to me all the steps to do on „Canyon Dude CF 8.0 Trail“ in terms of change the rear tire to 4,8“? I think I have just to mount the rear wheel to the rear position in the Dropout on the frame and move the brake accordingly. Do I have to do something else??? Spmething with the chain etc.?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    4 bolts if I remember correctly. Remove wheel, unbolt axle spacer at the rear of the frame and reverse direction and reattach, unbolt caliper and reattach in the rear set of holes. Probably took me 10 minutes taking my time. I didn't touch the chain or derailleur and it is fine

I have a Lou 4.8" in the back, and while it did fit and was ride-able on the street in the forward position, I felt it was too close for clearance and flexing. No issues in the rear position and bike did not feel that much different.
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy C 29er
    2018 Canyon Dude fatty with Mastodon
    2018 Nashbar Sora Alloy gravel bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I just got my Dude about a month ago and I Love the bike so far. I was riding with a friend with Dillinger 5's that were studded and I thought even they would fit, has anyone tried them???

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepRage View Post
    4 bolts if I remember correctly. Remove wheel, unbolt axle spacer at the rear of the frame and reverse direction and reattach, unbolt caliper and reattach in the rear set of holes. Probably took me 10 minutes taking my time. I didn't touch the chain or derailleur and it is fine

I have a Lou 4.8" in the back, and while it did fit and was ride-able on the street in the forward position, I felt it was too close for clearance and flexing. No issues in the rear position and bike did not feel that much different.

Hi, that would be perfect if I didn’t have to adjust the chain or reassemble the half of the bike thanks for the reply . So basically it is ride-able also in front position as I understand. But if it is really just those four bolts to "manipulate" w/o touching the chain and the shifting mechanism, would be perfect

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikinki View Post
    Hi, that would be perfect if I didn’t have to adjust the chain or reassemble the half of the bike thanks for the reply . So basically it is ride-able also in front position as I understand. But if it is really just those four bolts to "manipulate" w/o touching the chain and the shifting mechanism, would be perfect
    Yes it is easy. The new tire nubs basically touched the frame. When those wear off you'd clear but frame flex and mud/snow could pack up.

I played it safe.
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy C 29er
    2018 Canyon Dude fatty with Mastodon
    2018 Nashbar Sora Alloy gravel bike