can't get tire off rim -- need advice- Mtbr.com
    tpd
    mtbr member
    Dec 2014

can't get tire off rim -- need advice

Embarrassing, I can't get my Hodag off the Jackalope rim (Trek Farley 8). When I set them up tubeless almost 2 years ago it was a cinch to get the tires off the rims.

I've barely ridden in the last year, unfortunately, and all the Stan's has dried up and I figured I'd clean up the wheel and re-seal it.

However, I've struggled with this damn thing for more than an hour, and can't get the bead over the rim. I can barely get one tire iron in there, and it feels like it's going to crush the rim, let along work a second iron into the gap.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Toby.
    Toby
    2015 Trek Farley 8.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Soapy water on both rim and tire. Make sure the bead on the side of the tire you're trying to get off is in the lowest part of the rim.
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    You can also use a blow dryer on the tire to expand and loosen it up.
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

mtbr member
    With 2 years of dried up sealant, probably just need to break the sealant loose, and make sure you don't have a film that's trying to hold the tire back to the rim. You should be able to go around and break the tire off the rim in small sections. I've had luck with two tire levers or a tire lever and wooden block, Tire lever or block to push the tire off the bead, and the other one to "hook" the sealant and tear it. Might need to stand on the tire to break the bead enough to hook the sealant. Once you get all the way around the tire, it should be easier to get off.

Was this done as split tube method? if so, that's an absolute bear to get them separated. You almost need a 3rd hand to hold the split tube down so you can cut the tire out.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

tpd
    mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I had to look back at my Amazon shopping history... It was actually just over a year ago that I last had the tires off. I've broken the bead on both sides, but the problem is that the bead seems to want to stay down in the center channel of the rim, so when I get one iron under the bead the rest of the bead is still in the middle of the rim.

The soapy water trick seemed to improve things -- I was able to get 2 irons under the bead, but no more. All I've managed to do is scratch up the rim

Edit: this isn't the split tube method. It has tape down the center of the wheel to cover the spokes, and an additional width of tape around the rim right at the bead to increase the diameter of the wheel. Here's the method I used:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/...ly-937694.html
    Toby
    2015 Trek Farley 8.

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd View Post
    I've broken the bead on both sides, but the problem is that the bead seems to want to stay down in the center channel of the rim, so when I get one iron under the bead the rest of the bead is still in the middle of the rim.
    You want both beads down in the middle, that's the smallest diameter of the wheel usually. Should give enough slack so you can work the top up over the edge of the rim.

tpd
    mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    You want both beads down in the middle, that's the smallest diameter of the wheel usually. Should give enough slack so you can work the top up over the edge of the rim.
    OK, so that's promising. Still can't lever the damn thing over the rim. Bah!
    Toby
    2015 Trek Farley 8.

mtbr member
    My 9.6 was already set up tubeless when I got it and I had the damnedest time ever in trying to get them Hodags off! I did one tire a day and scratch the rim too. At one point I thought about cutting them off.
    2018 Trek Stache 7
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty
    2011 Trek Sawyer (27.5+ Alfine 8 spd)

sluice box
    Take the valve cores out and microwave it on 2 popcorns flip it and then a beverage cycle. Always works for me.
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    If you have the luxury of keeping the bike in the sun for a few hours it will soften the tires

May provide the help you need

Laramie, Wyoming
    It sounds like you need to visit your local bike shop.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-opski View Post
    Take the valve cores out and microwave it on 2 popcorns flip it and then a beverage cycle. Always works for me.
    Your popcorn game must be strong to have a microwave big enough to fit a fatbike wheel in.

tpd
    mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    Your popcorn game must be strong to have a microwave big enough to fit a fatbike wheel in.
    Heh, that was my first thought, too. (I also fleetingly considered cutting it off but luckily I clamed down. And I called my LBS but they said to give it another go before bringing it in, which was nice.)

I did follow the beverage cycle advice, and then managed to simply tear the bloody tire off by hand. I pulled it "backwards", managing to get the bead over the other bead. Lots more leverage that way than trying to lift the bead over its nearest edge. I think the soapy water might have helped a little, too. Thanks for all the advice.
    Toby
    2015 Trek Farley 8.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Glad to hear you got it off. Sometimes it just takes a couple of times to get it to go. I've walked away, cooled down, come back and then the tires get scared and give up. Been there and done that with a couple of tires-others just pop off.

mtbr member
    use your feet. stand on it to break the bead.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    All hail the beverage cycle!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    use your feet. stand on it to break the bead.
    Be careful doing this. I used to do that until I broke a spoke.