mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Is the Cannondale Fat CAAD 1 worth it?

I have the chance to pick up the Cannondale Fat CAAD 1 2018 for $1000 off MSRP.
    Brand new shipped to me in box. I actually prefer this build out over the new 2019 as I prefer Shimano components and it has fatter tires.
    Primary use case is winter/snow riding. I'll probably use it in the summer too, for fun, but I have a full squish Troy for that.
    Doing some comparisons though, it doesn't seem that good of a value. Especially when I put it up against a bike like the RSD Mayor 4. The Fat CAAD does have the dropper post that I would have to add to the Mayor. I've also heard QC issues with RSD bikes in general.
    The Cannondale also has the Lefty Olaf 襤
    Any thoughts/opinions?

Edit: I'm in Canada and the MSRP here is $4400
    Last edited by tracer_ca; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:30 AM.

mtbr member
    I really like mine. It handles like a mountain bike. It's light enough. It's speed well with the hologram cranks and OLaf. Riding position is ideal for me. More sit up and beg. I got mine for 2400 out the door.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
    Too many bikes, not enough time...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Its a great bike, and I agree with x3 on the riding position. I really like it. I paid full price last winter and felt it was a little overpriced, but for $1000 off Id definitely recommend it. Rode mine all summer and got to really like it. Impressed with the Lefty. The Sram brakes are meh, Id say thats one of the weaker points. Put smaller tires on for the summer and just switched back to JJs for the fall. Looking forward to getting it out in the snow this year!

mtbr member
    I just put a 3 inch Defiance to bar for cruisin. Is the Cannondale Fat CAAD 1 worth it?-20180806_124952.jpegIs the Cannondale Fat CAAD 1 worth it?-20180806_123341.jpeg

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
    Too many bikes, not enough time...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    The Olaf with its 60mm offset really makes it handle like a trail bike even with the 4.8 JJs.

But, you really need to be in the Lefty fan club. The oil bath needs to be flushed every few months to avoid expensive scratches in the slider. And the Jack A$$es at Cannondale force you to use their service.

That said, it's been my favorite bike for the last year. Just got back from a 35km, 650m fall ride.

I think the only way to get these things is at the end of the year for US$1000 off. I think there're still 2017s around, but if you're a Shimano guy, 2018 is the year.

Is the Cannondale Fat CAAD 1 worth it?-image1-1-.jpg
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Westy View Post
    But, you really need to be in the Lefty fan club. The oil bath needs to be flushed every few months to avoid expensive scratches in the slider. And the Jack A$$es at Cannondale force you to use their service.
    How much is service? How long does it take?

This is worrying, but it's a winter bike for me, so time is not as important. I can send it off at the end of winter for a yearly rebuild. Is once a year ok? I pretty much do that with my Troy now as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by scaribas View Post
    The Sram brakes are meh, Id say thats one of the weaker points.
    I have a set of M670 SLX brakes ready to put on this bike. So if that's the only issue, I'm set