Can you guys help me pick between the Framed Alaskan and the Framed Minnesota 3.0?- Mtbr.com
    Bedwards Of The West

Can you guys help me pick between the Framed Alaskan and the Framed Minnesota 3.0?

Hi. I've never ridden a fatbike but I'm going to buy one without ever test-riding it.

A bit about my background and riding style: I ride bikes a lot.

OK, enough about me. Looking at bang-for-buck statistics, I have narrowed my fatbike choices down to these two bikes (The Alloy Alaskan and the 3.0). Looking at The-House.com, I like the rigid fork/XWT model of both bikes. The prices are identical, so it's down to components and geometry.

The 3.0 comes with 2x10, and the Alaskan comes with 1x10. I'm 1x10 now on my trail bike, with a wolftooth 42 out back, but I run a 34 up front... bigger than most people. I tend to like to push a big-ish gear. I'm more of a grinder than a spinner. I love the simplicity of 1x10, so I lean to the Alaskan there, but I don't really know how much extra gear range I'll want when pushing those big ol' tires uphill in the snow. I'm 3x9 on my 29er, so I'm not totally oppposed to a front derailleur. Seems like a bigger range might be nice, but with a smaller front and a wolftooth, I might be able to get all I need with 1x10.

Otherwise, how similar are these two bikes? Are there major differences in geometry/feel? Anyone ridden both?
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I had that same choice, and went with the AK. Test rides were limited to the parking lot at the house, but the AK felt like the one when I rode it.

Thing with the alaskan is that the cranks have a spider so you could add a FD/shifter/ regular rings and go 2 or 3x.

I have heard that the 3.0 is more of a trail feel, but I didn't notice on my short ride.

Bedwards Of The West
    Thanks. How would you describe the feel of the AK? Upright? Aggressive? Trail? Twitchy? Slow? Middle-of-the-road? School Bus? I realize everyone is different, but what's your take?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I am coming off a 140F/133R FS bike, and it handles reasonably close to that (2007 Jamis XAM2) Possibly a bit more upright, but that can be tuned with stem/bars. I've had some fairly quick descents, and it hasn't gotten twitchy on me yet. I have yet to ride in the dirt, but I expect it to perform well there too. Longer CS length helps with stabilization. I did get the carbon fork, so if you are doing a Bluto, YMMV.

Bedwards Of The West
    Thanks. I'm going with the rigid fork also.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Which one did you end up with? I'm debating the same choices since my order fell through with buying an Airborne Goblin EvO. The fact that the framed bikes can use 29+ is the way to go I think. The Alaskan Alloy sure looks good. How would it compare to the Goblin EVO? Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I am also looking at the 3.0. But as frame alone. I already have most of the components needed to build it up. Geo looks fairly similar to my regular ride, Canfield yelli screamy. I like the price and have read great things about their customer service.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk