Can a Clyde really ride on snow? Fatbike advice needed.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Can a Clyde really ride on snow? Fatbike advice needed.

Hello all, I've decided I want a fatbike. I live in Stockholm now and I want to do some fatbiking in the winter, and explore some out-of-the-way places in other seasons. I'll bikepack, using frame / seatpost bags.

I have a few questions, if you don't mind - in order of importance.

1) I weigh ~130kg. I'm an ex-powerlifter, so really I'd be cut at 115 if I could ever give up beer and whiskey...there is only so light I will ever get. I imagine I'd really just sink down in things you healthy trim dudes just sail across. Am I too heavy to ever ride on snow? Or does it just keep me from riding in certain types/depths of snow?

2) I do better with bigger tires. My road bike has 28c's, my cross has 50c, my 29ers have 2.4 and 2.5 width. How true does that hold for a fatbike? I've read that Moonlander-size rims and tires are so wide and specialized towards snow that it's sub-optimal (and even no fun) in normal gravel or dirt MTB conditions. I think I want an all-arounder; should I aim for 65-80mm rims with 3.8 tires? Or go whole hog 100mm/4.8's?

3) Hubs. I literally rip them apart from torque given the chance. What's the wide-as-heck hub equal of a Chris King? White brothers?

4) At what point do you decide to get a bike with a swappable front/rear wheel setup? I have no problem bringing tools, spare chains, maybe even chainstay-mounted SS adapter...who here has ever needed to swap front/rear wheels? What were the conditions, how remote was the trip?

5) Fun question: Those rims with cut-outs and the rim strips bulging out of them...has anyone had a flat due to those being punctured?

Cheers, and thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Whether or not you can ride a fat bike in the snow really depends on snow conditions. I rode last winter at 140 kg and I was fine on groomed trails. I am down to 116 kg now and still losing so next winter should be even better. Really depends on snow and how the snow is packed. Heavier guys do sink more easily, but if the trail is packed fine you'll have no issues. Wider tires should help some. I am on 3.8 Nates and did fine. Even small people sink in the wrong snow conditions.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

aka bOb
    One word of advice. Don't give up the whiskey it will make you see the world as it really is and trust me, it's scary out there.

Rocking on a Rocky

This would do you.

:thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    One word of advice. Don't give up the whiskey it will make you see the world as it really is and trust me, it's scary out there.
    Being completely "dry" for nearly 5 years now, I can support this statement wholeheartedly.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Get a bike that will accept clownshoes w/ Bud and Lou, that way you will NEVER wonder what could be. In the summer switch over to Knard/Hudu and rip all over.

Or you could be like Toaster and kick my a$$ year round on Bud and Lou. SOB

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    At 106kg plus the extras I just yesterday did my first ride with fatbike having 4.7" Vee Bulldozers and could not believe the difference while riding some swampy trails and sand dunes at one beach. My reference point is 29er with 2.4" tires at wide rims.

I know what I'm riding next winter

Sup
    clyde's make the trails better for everyone
    a subservient trail crew if you will
    I am slow therefore I am

since 4/10/2009
    I'd also say that the biggest factor as to whether you ride on top of the snow vs. plowing through it has more to do with the snow than with you. Tire size being a big factor and rider weight being less of a factor.

For summer riding, I'll be throwing on a lightweight tire like the upcoming Schwalbe. For winter, I'll be going as big as I can fit on my bike, which looks like it'll be 5" front and 4" rear. I'd like to get studs because last winter, after we got the trails packed pretty well, they got super icy and even harder to ride.

Lord Thunderbottom
    winter riding skills and snow conditions will play a bigger role than tire size, but with all the options today I'd just go as big as you can, I'm sitting on the fence with my 170 frame and 5" tires, wish I could go hundies sometimes
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    >As mentioned snow conditions will be more important than tire size and weight but you on a 4.8 will be similar to an average sized on a 3.8. And there are many of those smaller riders who prefer the smaller tires for the weight reduction.
    Yes you can ride snow.
    Get Bud & Lou on Clownshoes or similar to start. If you feel they are too much drag during the summer then get some wheels with 3.8" on 65mm.
    If you get a Moonlander you can go with Chris King's, Otherwise I will leave it to others for suggestions.
    Unless that feature really appeals to you I don't see much need for swappable wheels. Pretty much only used if you are so remote where walking out would be extremely difficult and your freehub has failed. The other use might be for a single speed bike with 2 different rear cogs.

Craig

mtbr member
    At 200-240 lbs myself, I alway end up running the biggest possible tire rim combo on whatever bike (s) I have. Current fat bike is a pugsley, so I am limited to Nates in the rear. If I was buying today, I would go 190mm rear, 44mm head tube. That way you can run any tire / rim / fork you want.

P.S. Pugs has been my only mtb for 2 years- dirt for most of the year, frozen dirt/snow for 2-3 months. I run a Bud up front and surely wouldn't mind a Lou out back!

Nemophilist
    "Can a Clyde really ride on snow?"

No.

Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    ^Only reason that clyde is making it through the snow is cuz there is a pretty snow bunny on the bike in front of him. How do I know....look at his tongue.

mtbr member
    Thanks, lots of useful info. Kind of torn between a Pug Ops, Moonlander, Singular Puffin and Sandman Atacama. Leaning towards the Sandman because it's more local and they're open to customizing it for me RE rims and tires. Puffin has the best tech, but it would require me building it all up myself and it's really expensive, not sure I want to go that route yet.

Nemophilist
    C'mon...

I'm catching snow flakes.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

This place needs an enema
    FWIW...

I did a tour a few years ago, on the Iditarod Trail.

Geared up for that kind of I ride, I tip the scales at ~200#. My bike, loaded for 25 days with no resupply, was ~150#.

So, 350# combo. Then, the biggest tires we had were 3.8's.

Worked out fine. Sometimes I'd have to walk in places I'd otherwise (had I been loaded lighter) expect to ride. Other places, due to the increased mass and momentum, I'd plow through **** I could *never* ride unloaded.

Go as big as you can and you'll do fine.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    C'mon...

I'm catching snow flakes.
    Must have been a stripper with a name like Snow Flakes

mtbr member
    Hmmm. I'm leaning towards a Moonlander more now.

I have a RIP9 (with wheels you built, Mike), and an EMD9 rigid already in my stable. Looks like the Moonie would give me the most range.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schnee View Post
    Hmmm. I'm leaning towards a Moonlander more now.

I have a RIP9 (with wheels you built, Mike), and an EMD9 rigid already in my stable. Looks like the Moonie would give me the most range.
    I would go Ice Cream Truck, same tire / rim capacity as Moonlander, but more fork options (ICT has 44mm head tube).190mm rear on ICT should result in a stronger wheel as well.