since 4/10/2009

Bye bye Bucksaw for 2019

Salsa has removed it from their website.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Bummer, thatís a bike Iíve been considering.

mtbr member
    Also removed Spearfish and Horsethief.
    it's a challenge some of us are ultimately worthy of.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tyriverag View Post
    Also removed Spearfish and Horsethief.
    Indeed, they did.

Wonder how long before my Bucksaw becomes a collector's item? Ha! I think Salsa flooded the market with too many of them, based on how quickly the first ones sold.

Rides all the bikes!
    I demo'ed one for a few weeks a couple years ago. Fun bike. But...isn't FS redundant on a fat bike? Just wondering.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    I demo'ed one for a few weeks a couple years ago. Fun bike. But...isn't FS redundant on a fat bike? Just wondering.
    No. Not exactly.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

All fat, all the time.
    I'm sure bikes like the full squish trek took a lot of their sales away.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    I'm sure bikes like the full squish trek took a lot of their sales away.
    Partly. I am sure that a bigger part of it is that plus bikes have pulled market share away from fs fat.

Pretty sure if FS plus bikes existed when I bought my BS, I would not have a BS.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Also I think not having a solid fork option from a few more manufactures for Full suspension bikes compared to the plus bikes.
    Nothing against the forks that exist now but my Wren is ok but it at no Fox fork.
    For the haters I have not tried the Mastadon .........
    97' Brodie Expresso
    00' Turner RFX
    08' Turner RFX
    13' Surly Troll
    15' Surly ICT

mtbr member
    Definitely a bummer. I was hoping for a new updated 2019 model

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgprimo View Post
    Also I think not having a solid fork option from a few more manufactures for Full suspension bikes compared to the plus bikes.
    Nothing against the forks that exist now but my Wren is ok but it at no Fox fork.
    For the haters I have not tried the Mastadon .........
    Very true. I built mine with a Bluto at first and it just wasn't up to the job. Now I have a Wren, which works and addresses the problems I had with the Bluto...but the damper sucks. I also have not tried the Mastodon. I just don't have that kinda cash floating around to make another fork change for a "maybe" it'll be better (or maybe it'll be another scenario where it fixes one problem, but introduces another).

I don't plan to sell my BS anytime soon, but I'll be adding other bikes to the stable which will reduce the frequency I ride it.

Next one will be a Guerrilla Gravity Pedalhead, which I'm going to start building (slowly) this fall/winter. Should be buying a slightly used frame off a semi-local forum member in a couple of weeks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Damn shame! I love my bucksaw! And really wanted a spearfish before they stopped those too. Got a SID and some 29Ē wheels so I could have both. Now I need to get another frame just in case.

Bye bye Bucksaw for 2019-a9cbd329-136e-4ac1-8339-e86a5e0aac42.jpg

With 29x2.6 above.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Indeed, they did.

Wonder how long before my Bucksaw becomes a collector's item? Ha! I think Salsa flooded the market with too many of them, based on how quickly the first ones sold.
    Probably never.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Indeed, they did.

Love mine, only a handful around here, glad I was able to get my hands on this one, definately a collector's item IMO!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bye bye Bucksaw for 2019-augbuck3.jpg  

'07 Spec Enduro
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    A bit of hope from the Salsa forum:
    Quote Originally Posted by Larsey View Post
    Ran into some of the Salsa guys at the Cuyuna Trails in Crosby MN about a month ago. They were riding Deadwoods, Pony Rustlers and what appeared to be a prototype Horsethief (Raw carbon with a very raw machined and welded rear swingarm).

I asked them about Bucksaw and they said it was in-development and no ETA but it is coming back.

since 4/10/2009
    Seems to follow Salsa's recent trend. I would expect the upcoming Bucksaw to be quite different from the current.

Diff wheel size. Diff suspension layout. Probably different intended purpose, too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    A collectors item for sure! Iím betting in another 6-8 months I could sell it for 2x what I put in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I haven't ridden my BS as a fat bike in years. I keep the 27.5+ set-up on it year round, which rides great, but it is a very heavy bike compared to other F/S 27.5+ bikes. I keep toying with selling the frame, so maybe there is a market for it now.
    "Wait- I am confused" - SDMTB'er

mtbr member
    I've been eyeing 27.5+ wheels for a while now but after spending 5K Canadian on it the wife suggested that I should just enjoy it as is or I'd be enjoying the company of the couch.
    It's probably not the best choice for flow trails but for rooty East Coast trails or exploring off the beaten track it's hard to beat, my lower back loves Fat+Sus !
    '07 Spec Enduro
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1

mtbr member
    I have a GX1 Bucksaw, and absolutely love it. I live in the high desert / Rocky Mountains and the terrain here suits full suspension fat perfectly. Trails are rough, loose and sandy, loose over hard, rocky, and more rocks.

Not the best bike for flow trails or buffed smooth trails, but if you ride the chunk, it's great.

It does not feel heavy when riding it, I can flick and thrown it around no problem, it climbs tech better than any bike I have ridden. Under 10 miles per hour, it's the best bike I have ever ridden. Above 15 miles per hour trail bikes start to have an advantage with more precise handling and more suspension travel, but 90 plus percent of my time is slower speeds.

I am hoping for a redesign: 27.5 wheels, higher bottom bracket, much shorter seat tube for longer dropper, steeper seat tube angle, 120mm rear travel with a 140mm Mastadon on the front.

e=mtb2
    This is making me nostalgic! We tired fat last year and had a couple of sweet Bucksaws for a while. They were great to ride in the sand in the desert here in So. California, and we took them on one trip to the Canyonlands area of Utah. But we experiment with bikes a lot and moved on. Here's mrs levity enjoying hers near Moab.

Bye bye Bucksaw for 2019-bs1small.jpg

Bye bye Bucksaw for 2019-bs2small.jpg

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    So, they found that they couldn't market enough of em at a 5,000% margin and dropped em like a hot potato... Tsk tsk!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    So, they found that they couldn't market enough of em at a 5,000% margin and dropped em like a hot potato... Tsk tsk!
    Quite an exaggeration, no?

e=mtb2
    Quite an exaggeration, no?
    Perhaps a bit. Donít recall what original retail was on a full build, but near seasonís end we got our frames for $1500 - not bad for a quality carbon frame.

since 4/10/2009
    I think the carbon build was in the 4500-5k range msrp. Pretty good for a carbon FS bike with carbon hoops in the grand scheme of things. Certainly not the worst pricing.

I built mine before the carbon frame was available. I dunno exactly what I spent, but I think I was in the 3k-4k range, and my buildout was as good or better in most respects (shop discounts sure were nice back when I had them...I have to be a little more creative these days to find deals).

Quote Originally Posted by levity View Post
    Perhaps a bit. Donít recall what original retail was on a full build, but near seasonís end we got our nice carbon frames for $1500 - not bad.

mtbr member
    The msrp was $6499 on the red carbon

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Got my Carbon X01 for 4499. X01 carbon crankset, whiskey carbon rims, carbon rustler bar. Pretty good deal for the build at that price.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I never fell in love with my Bucksaw. At 6'2" 290, the XL never fit like I wanted it to. The front end always felt too low, even with riser bars. I ended up not riding it as much this year, because it became annoying and very uncomfortable to always have to look up to see down the trail.

rth009
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kelbo View Post
    I never fell in love with my Bucksaw. At 6'2" 290, the XL never fit like I wanted it to.

At 6'2", I would expect you would be on a large Salsa. I'm 6'2" and Ive always ridden large Salsas since my first in 2009. I would ride XL in Santa Cruz, Ibis, however.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Absolutely not. Tried a large Fatboy a few years ago and it was horrible. Knees into the handlebars every stroke.

I dont want to take anything away from the Bucksaw, it is 100% a great bike. Just not for me.

rth009
    May 2010
    At 6'2", the specialized size chart says you would be on an XL fatboy. Size large in Salsa does not equal size large in other brands. The salsa size chart for the bucksaw says large goes up to 6'3" and xl is 6'3" plus. I'm not telling you you are wrong, as everyone is different, just something to consider.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Yep. I bought the XL Fatboy. The Salsa always felt weird. I had enough room in the cockpit. But the bars just always felt low. I tried a few different stem/bar combos, but never got it right. I'm still learning myself.

Sorry for the thread derail.

mtbr member
    Diff strokes. 6'1 with ape arms and I love my xl. Though with a shorter stem
    Trek Farley 6
    Salsa Bucksaw X01
    GT Grade Alloy X

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rth009 View Post
    At 6'2", the specialized size chart says you would be on an XL fatboy. Size large in Salsa does not equal size large in other brands. The salsa size chart for the bucksaw says large goes up to 6'3" and xl is 6'3" plus. I'm not telling you you are wrong, as everyone is different, just something to consider.
    Size charts are BS. Salsa says I should be borderline sm/med. No f*cking way. Solid medium, possible boderline lg. Definitely a lg santa cruz.

mtbr member
    Size charts are BS. Salsa says I should be borderline sm/med. No f*cking way. Solid medium, possible boderline lg. Definitely a lg santa cruz.

I agree, I'm barely 5'9" (long arms) and ride a large. The only thing too big is the seat tube, I can only fit a 125mm dropper.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by laurenlex View Post
    I am hoping for a redesign: 27.5 wheels, higher bottom bracket, much shorter seat tube for longer dropper, steeper seat tube angle, 120mm rear travel with a 140mm Mastadon on the front.
    I also have a gx1 BS and love it for my new England chunk, but I would buy this bike in a heartbeat. Nice design spec for Salsa right here.

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by kelbo View Post
    I never fell in love with my Bucksaw. At 6'2" 290, the XL never fit like I wanted it to. The front end always felt too low, even with riser bars. I ended up not riding it as much this year, because it became annoying and very uncomfortable to always have to look up to see down the trail.
    That's odd... I'm 6'8" and the bucksaw fits me just fine... of course, I have a 26ļ rise stem installed, too.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Not really odd. Fit is so subjective. I'm finding I want a bigger bike than most people. Just my preference. The guy I sold my XL BS to was 2" shorter and 80-100 lbs lighter. He loves it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I picked up a green gx1 (2650.00 Closeout) and love it. Upgraded the wheel set to Reynolds Deans w/I9 hubs. Jumbo Jimís tires it rolls pretty sweat. I turned 50 and bought it to shred some pounds.

I wonít do much more then ride it now and enjoy it. It is a really is a lot of fun and thatís what itís all about for me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Bummer for me. I don't know that I'd ride it a lot, but it seems like a fun bike. At least two of my friends have them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    Damn shame! I love my bucksaw! And really wanted a spearfish before they stopped those too. Got a SID and some 29Ē wheels so I could have both. Now I need to get another frame just in case.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A9CBD329-136E-4AC1-8339-E86A5E0AAC42.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	316.6 KB 
ID:	1214674

With 29x2.6 above.
    Word on the street there will be a new spearfish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    Word on the street there will be a new spearfish

Patiently waiting... but bike money catches on fire if you dont spend it quickly and mines heating up.

beer thief
    Going on 4 years on my BS and I still love it. The Mastodon was a game changer over the Bluto. I still ride it a lot, mostly in 27.5 x 3Ē version. I picked up a Rocky Mtn Altitude last spring and enjoy the 4 lb difference on big climbing days.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    Going on 4 years on my BS and I still love it. The Mastodon was a game changer over the Bluto. I still ride it a lot, mostly in 27.5 x 3Ē version. I picked up a Rocky Mtn Altitude last spring and enjoy the 4 lb difference on big climbing days.
    Agreed. I'm running the Mastodon at 120 and it's like it was made for it

mtbr member
    Bye bye Bucksaw for 2019-img_20181001_174012258.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Looks like fatty fullies are at the end of the line.
    Trek has discontinued the Farley EX8.....and thecarbon version is a frameset only, which I'm betting will be gone for 2020.
    Sad....I rode a Bucksaw for a while and now own both versions of the Farley EX....all great bikes

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by fewg8 View Post
    Agreed. I'm running the Mastodon at 120 and it's like it was made for it
    Cool, I just swapped my 100 air shaft for a 120 for my Bluto. I also switched the RT3 Monarch air can with a Debonair can with 2 bands for s & giggles.

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Most of the brand name carbon bikes/frames are the same crazy prices no?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Looks like fatty fullies are at the end of the line.
    Trek has discontinued the Farley EX8.....and thecarbon version is a frameset only, which I'm betting will be gone for 2020.
    Sad....I rode a Bucksaw for a while and now own both versions of the Farley EX....all great bikes
    Perhaps it is a tough sell for full suspension fat bikes. And those who have them and actually need full suspension are far and few between.

My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Most of the brand name carbon bikes/frames are the same crazy prices no?
    Insanely overpriced and no custom geo.... LOLOLOL, no, just no!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...