To buy or not a Motobecane night train bullet titanium- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

To buy or not a Motobecane night train bullet titanium

Iíve read a lot about the other Motobecane fat bikes. Sound like real nice bikes minus the hubs.
    This bike has less than 20 miles on it. Price is $850, appears it sold for around 2k two-three years ago.
    Ride mostly dirt roads and equestrian trails with lose sand. Starting to get into riding more with my boys getting older and riding with me.

I currently ride a pretty basic orbea hardtail 3x9 even. Ready for something different but Iíll keep the hardtail.

Here are the specs on this bike.
    Save up to 60% off new Motobecane 2018 Titanium NightTrain Bullet SRAM 2x11, Rockshox Bluto Suspension Forks Titanium Fat Bikes, Mountain Bikes

In case someone doesnít to click.
    And a bluto fork
    RACE FACE CRANK,TURBINE 2X11, 24/34, 2x11SPD FAT BIKE , Crank 175mm
    Bottom Bracket RACE FACE BB-100mm BSA English Threaded Outboard Sealed Bearings
    Pedals n/a
    Front Derailleur SRAM FD GX LD 2X11 BOTTOM PULL
    Rear Derailleur SRAM RD GX 2X11SPD LONG CAGE BLK
    Shifters SRAM SL GX 11SP TRIGGER BLK
    Cassette/Freewheel SRAM CS PG 1130 11-42T (2x11)
    Chain KMC X11SL SUPER LIGHT NARROW CN 1/2"x11/128"x114L.W/HOLLOW PIN , INCLUDING CL555R NP REUSEABLE LINK
    Hubs NOVATEC D201SB-15 ALLOY FRONT DISC HUB 32H:15mmx150mm FOR FAT BIKE, 2 PRECISION BEARINGS, ANOD. BLACK, F/HUB AXLE ROCKSHOX 15x150 Maxle Lite
    R/HUB(FH) T NOVATEC D202SB-X12MM-S4S ALLOY REAR DISC HUB W/ STEEL CASSETTE BODY 32H.OL:12x197MM CRMO AXLE, 4 PRECISION BEARINGS, 2RS ANOD. BLACK, R.HUB THRU QR C KINESIS ALLOY 7075 QR 12x229xM12xP1.75
    Spokes 14G STEEL STAINLESS W/BRASS NIPPLE
    Rims SUN-RINGLE MulefŁt SL 80mm,32H, W/FV BLACK ANOD. W/ BIG HOLES ( 32mm ) *See FAQ page for Tubeless system setup
    Tires/Tubes MAXXIS MINION 26 X 4.80, FBF / FBR 60 tpi Folding Bead
    Brakes SRAM Guide RS HYDRAULIC DISC BRAKES, W/POST DISC MOUNT, 180mm ROTOR, GLOSS BLACK
    Brake Levers SRAM Guide RS HYDRAULIC DISC BRAKES
    Headset ORBIT 1.5 ZS , FOR 1-1/8"/1.5" FORK STEM , Internal Alloy Cups, 1-1/8" ACB Upper, 1.5" ACB Lower,w/Std 12.3mm top cover (H2051B) , W/39.78 BALL RACE
    Handlebar RITCHEY MTN COMP RIZER (Low Rize-20) ( C:31.8mm ), ALLOY 6061 RISE H/BAR(UPSWEEP 17į , BEND 9į ) B/CENTER: 31.8mm.R/W:20/710mm. BB BLK
    Stem RITCHEY STEM COMP 4-AXIS 84/6D ( C:31.8mm ) ALLOY 6061 "TIOGA-OS" A-HEAD STEM.EXT6į)70/80/90MM FOR 39 / 45 - 48 / 53CM ,C/S:31.8x28.6x42mm. BB BLK
    Tape/Grip WTB Dual DNA Compounds, Classic Logo
    Saddle WTB Rocket COMP, Satin Steel Rail, PU Leather Cover
    Seat Post RITCHEY SEATPOST COMP 2B 350/400 OS , ALLOY BB BLK S/POST W/ALLOY BB BLK HEAD 31.6x400mm

What would this bike weigh in large? If I get it I think Iíll take it to a shop and have them make it tubeless.

Should I pull the trigger? Going to start riding more single track this fall also.
    Thinking if I didnít like it I could sell it for the same amount or a bit more come winter time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Looks like a good deal, i'd jump on personally, a ti frame and a bluto, plus it's components are pretty good. I don't think you can go wrong for the money.

mtbr member
    Sounds like a good deal to me. The only people that don't like the Motobecane bikes are people who don't own them. They used to be heavy, mine are- we have two of the original FB4's, but the one guy I know that has a Ti version loves it. Only issue he's had was the bottom bracket. Anyone can get a bad one. I killed one on my Krampus in 3 months.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks guys
    Leaning towards yes on getting it. A lot of bike for the $$$

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    if it fits and you like the way it rides/handles, go for it. Upgrade candidates in the future would be shifters and brakes.
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Not sure I'd go for that, it's a pretty low-end build, not terrible by any means, but if you really need a fatbike, I guess it would do alright. Ti as a frame-material never materialized as the "wonder-material" it was made out to be in the 90s. It generally cracks at a higher rate than aluminum due to the tightly controlled conditions required for welding. At that price though, it looks hard to go wrong, a decent fatbike usually starts at ~1500, so you are definitely making out compared to that.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Professional Crastinator
    I'd never pay the new money for a new one, but that is a good deal.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    So after watching some videos on fat vs regular mountain bikes Iím
    Really torn. Not sure itís the right fit. Lots of people love them year around.

$750 is now the agreed price. Bike fit about perfect and it felt pretty good.

mtbr member
    Good deal. Really good deal.

mtbr member
    That is a STEAL!

I bought a 2016 new and have hammered on it for the last 3 3/4 years and it's been rock solid. It takes every bit of abuse I can dish out and it keeps on going. I enjoy it so much that I sold my FS Salsa and just ride this. I bikepack with it, hammer down trails bouncing off nearly everything and anything, and even road ride with it. I have the large size and it weighs in at 37 pounds with the Bluto, still setup 2x10 (22/32 x 11-42), and with 100mm Turnagain rims running Bud/FBR in summer and Johnny5's in winter. My road setup is BFL's on the stock Mulefuts with 24/38 x 11-36 and it weighs 35 pounds.

I had to replace one RS brake caliper due to the sticking issue they had, but it was an easy fix. I replaced the bearings on the rear Novatec wheel but it turned out to be the bearings in the driver and not the wheel. Tubeless is super easy and it holds no matter what the pressure, I have run mine down below 1 psi with no issues.

I did replace the creaking BB with a Phil Wood almost 2 years ago and it's been flawless. I have never heard of one cracking and if mine hasn't I doubt any would. I've had the bike weigh almost 100 pounds with bikepacking gear on it, towed a trailer carrying 130 pounds, and even had to bail off it on a bridge onto some rocks and all it did was scratch the handlebars.

I can't say enough good about the bike and the build, and for that price, you can't touch it with anything else.

Oh yeah, I also live on the coast of Maine and ride it on the beach often. I love that it can't rust and nothing besides the chain has suffered any ill effects.

To buy or not a Motobecane night train bullet titanium-fb10c402-ccdc-4655-83e8-5461f74fffc7-l.jpg
    To buy or not a Motobecane night train bullet titanium-img_5672-l.jpg
    To buy or not a Motobecane night train bullet titanium-img_5855-l.jpg
    To buy or not a Motobecane night train bullet titanium-img_5895-xl.jpg
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Nice dilli! Crazy on not riding your FS anymore.

Figure I could sell it for more than what Iím buying it for if I donít like it. Itís weird he hasnít sold it. He has been lowering the price for nearly a year and fat bikes are semi popular in Colorado.