Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

bullseye monster

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  AdamJay 
#1 ·
was thinking about getting one of these just to ride it around. anyone have one? I know people think its a pile of **** but I don't want to spend 1200 on a bike im just going to casually ride around.
jimbo

#4 ·
I reckon you'd be happy with it, and if you wanted to spend a little more money you could get it up to spec of other fat bikes.

The thing I like about the Bullseye Monster on paper is the 50mm rims. Most budget fat bikes are being spec'd with 80mm rims which limits you on the low end of tire size (not much less than 3.5"). The 50mm rims on the Bullseye Monster frame gives you options in the 2.4" to 4.25" range, so you could have a great 4 season bike. Granted, these are budget cup & cone hubs but new bearings and a load of grease would probably insure they take whatever you can dish out.

Come winter time you'll probably want different tires if you're doing much snow riding. On-One Floaters are about $110 shipped to USA from On-One in the UK right now.

Other than that, taking it to XT Shadow Plus 2x10 would cost around $230 with cassette, chain, XT shifters, and XT M786 rd. Add a little more dosh for better brakes if you like. Sure, it adds up but only in increments. It's all optional and you're able to get into the world of FAT at $499 and figure out what you want from it.

It seems to me like a great bike to build on if you want, and to simply ride and enjoy if you're on a budget.

#9 ·
i reckon you'd be happy with it, and if you wanted to spend a little more money you could get it up to spec of other fat bikes.

The thing i like about the bullseye monster on paper is the 50mm rims. Most budget fat bikes are being spec'd with 80mm rims which limits you on the low end of tire size (not much less than 3.5"). The 50mm rims on the bullseye monster frame gives you options in the 2.4" to 4.25" range, so you could have a great 4 season bike. Granted, these are budget cup & cone hubs but new bearings and a load of grease would probably insure they take whatever you can dish out.

Come winter time you'll probably want different tires if you're doing much snow riding. On-one floaters are about $110 shipped to usa from on-one in the uk right now.

Other than that, taking it to xt shadow plus 2x10 would cost around $230 with cassette, chain, xt shifters, and xt m786 rd. Add a little more dosh for better brakes if you like. Sure, it adds up but only in increments. It's all optional and you're able to get into the world of fat at $499 and figure out what you want from it.

It seems to me like a great bike to build on if you want, and to simply ride and enjoy if you're on a budget.
are you refering to the boris or the comp?

#6 ·
Hadn't heard of this BD model so I had to go to their site and check it out. Since you describe yourself as a casual rider, go for it. AdamJay covered the bases pretty well. The guy with the robot avatar is just having a little Internet fun. Social life for robots is rather limited.;) If you get one, let us know how you like it. If you can, go through all the bearings and make sure they are greased and adjusted properly. Also would be wise to check the cable fasteners and brake adjustment. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself take it to a family oriented bike shop and pay for a full tune up. The basic bike is serviceable, but BD's assembly QC shouldn't be trusted imo. Cheers!

#3 ·
If you actually care what people on the internet think, there is only one bike to get, but you have to know the secret handshake to get the update as to what bike is THE proper fatbike to buy at any given moment.

If you don't actually care what gear obsessed nerds think, go for it- couldn't be much worse than a pugsley.

#5 ·
If you are going to buy it just to casually ride around...well...fine...your money.

But, but...aren't you starting off on the wrong foot; aren't you already admitting that the bike is going to spend most of its time just sitting, not being utilized for its designed purpose? I would submit that other bikes could better fulfill your desired use.

Are you prepared to give the bike a chance to shine in it's element? Have you invested enough time on here to grasp the proper approach, are you willing to invest the time experimenting with tire pressures etc?

If that will be too much of an expenditure of energy...the bike will end up just sitting, gathering dust. An orphan...in waiting.

But then...could be the beginning of great adventures!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.