Building a 29'er fat tire using an exsisting frame- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Building a 29'er fat tire using an exsisting frame

Well I think I am going to go to a 29'er fat tire... but the Krampus prices are a little higher then I would like....

Where would I find the proper width bottom bracket housing for it... other than that I am looking at buying an existing steel 29'er frame and modding from it since there are a few down around $200.

I am open to suggestions for frames to start with.. front fork is handled as I will use a lefty ( I have one to spare...

Any suggestions....other then leave it to the pro's and just buy a new one LOL... will be appreciated...

mtbr member
    I had much the same thoughts when I saw the Krampus tyre - a use for my pile of unused 29ers, but it's too wide and tall for them.

Can't think how it could be done cheaper than buying a new frame unless you already have the frame building gear available and are doing it yourself.

The cheapest way into this may well be a secondhand Pug frame.

It's a cunning marketing move by Surly. They make the tyre available, the 29er crowd get sucked in to buying them, and after trying to fit them they discover they need a new frame. So the 29ers either buy a new frame from Surly (the only source) or a second hand Pug, thus eventually leading them to the way of full fatness. Meanwhile we can flog off our old Pug frames and buy a Moonlander, so they score yet again. (I wonder if Surly's marketing guys previously sold alternative pharmaceuticals, they seem to understand how to exploit addiction )
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    i am still on the lookout for a large pugsley frame and i don't need a front fork as that might be the better fit...

mtbr member
    Would'nt you be better off looking for a frame designed for a longer axle to crown fork than the pugs?

I cant see any standard 29er frames working either. I have some WeirWolf 29" x 2.55" tires, and they seem to fill the rear end of most 29er frames.
    A big boy did it, and ran away.
    62*28'

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    the rear triangle is where the welder will have to be used.. as axle to crown i will be using a lefty dlr that in stock form only has 4" of travel and will be reduced a bit for the 30" diameter

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    use a crowbar and adjust the frame as need be

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by captbuck View Post
    use a crowbar and adjust the frame as need be
    A car screw jack is a more elegant way

But first bolt an old hub in the dropouts to keep them in line.

It helps if you shape a couple of pieces of wood for the tubing so it doesn't get locally flattened.

I've done some regrettable things to bicycles, so results and risks are all in your hands.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'm planning on modifying my Fargo to fit 29+ wheels. Probably not until next summer so I haven't pit much thought into it. I'm assuming it'll involve cutting and brazing of the rear triangle (at the very least the chainstays).

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I am not sure the way it will end up I need about 10-20 mm on the seat stay and about 10 mm on the chain stay...... the chain stays have over 10 mm clearance to the stays......so maybe even a new bottom bracket.... If it was a steel frame it would have been done already LOL anyone want to trade an aluminum frame for steel LOL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jnl1105 View Post
    the rear triangle is where the welder will have to be used.. as axle to crown i will be using a lefty dlr that in stock form only has 4" of travel and will be reduced a bit for the 30" diameter
    The A-C of a standard pugs fork is only around 447mm. Which isnt really suspension friendly (the mukluk is 468mm I think, as the enabler is designed as a sus fork replacement).

Saying that, you get a lot of travel for your A-C with a lefty. Assuming your lefty is designed to have 4" travel with 26" wheels. It probably has a A_C of around 480mm. Running that with 30mm of sag gets you down to 450mm. So In my muddled head it seems spot on. If its 10mm longer you'll get a 0.5 deg slacker head tube angle, and a 5mm higher BB. Both of which would work fine on a hard tail pugs.

That rear triangle is going to be tricky though.
    A big boy did it, and ran away.
    62*28'

Members who have read this thread: 0