Budget Rocky Fatbike - Rocky Mountain Blizzard - 10- Mtbr.com
    TboneGreen
    Sep 2009

Budget Rocky Fatbike - Rocky Mountain Blizzard - 10

2016 Rocky Mountain Blizzard 10

While shopping for a new budget fatbike, I came across the Rocky Mountain Blizzard 10, but wasnít able to find a lot of information on it.
    I asked a LBS that is a Rocky Mountain dealer about a price and was quoted $1150 CAD (just over $800 USD). Without hesitation, I bought a size medium.

When I first saw the bike I was blown away. No picture I saw online did it justice.

- The 4.5Ē Kenda Juggernauts on the 95mm rims were massive and chunky - they made my old 26x4.0 tires look TINY in comparison.

- The rear hub stood out right away because of how loud it was - a little research shows that itís a pretty decent hub to get on a bike of this price. SunRingle SRC FB.

- The crankset with single narrow-wide chainring looks very solid and well built even though itís a Ďno-nameí item. Iíve never had a narrow-wide system before and had no issues.

- The bottom bracket is also a Ďno-nameí item, but can be easily replaced with a SRAM unit in the future.

- I had intentions of immediately swapping the shifter/derailleur out for a new SRAM X7 pair I have kicking around. So far the shifting has been super solid with no issues, so I think Iím going to hold off. The only issue is all my bikes have SRAM shifters, and I have to get used to the finger shifting, instead of 2 thumb buttons.

- The look of the whole thing was really nice. The decal scheme that is found on the top tube and head tube is actually found all over the bike. The grip on the seat, the handlebars, and the insides of the chainstays all have similar decaling which make it look like somebody actually put some thought into how the complete bike looks.

Iíve ridden the bike for one week - with a ride of 15-20 kms each day in the snow. Iíve had an absolute blast. The trails have ranged from fresh snow (4-5Ē) to hard packed, almost icy, trails. At this point Iím blown away at how much I like this bike.

After riding for 5 days and snapping a bunch of pictures of how it came ďstockĒ, Iíve swapped out pedals, the seat, a new stem, wider handlebars, and lock on grips. None of these parts were necessary (except maybe the pedals for winter riding), I just needed to change the size/shape of the cockpit to suit my style. The single ring in the front is great. I almost always used the granny gear in my last fatbike, and having the fixed single ring is fine with me.

Things that I donít necessarily like about the bike:
    - There are no rack mount options. I had a rear rack on my last fatbike and canít use it with this bike.
    - The stock peddles donít have sharp pins in them, which make them less than ideal for using in snowy conditions.
    - The stock grips were nice and tacky, but they moved around just a little too much if they got some moisture from snow under them.

Iím including a whole bunch of pictures so anybody interested in the bike can get a closer look. If anybody has questions or needs additional information, donít hesitate to ask!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Budget Rocky Fatbike - Rocky Mountain Blizzard - 10-img_20151211_142247.jpg  

Budget Rocky Fatbike - Rocky Mountain Blizzard - 10-img_20151211_142303.jpg  

Budget Rocky Fatbike - Rocky Mountain Blizzard - 10-img_20151211_142315.jpg  

Budget Rocky Fatbike - Rocky Mountain Blizzard - 10-img_20151211_142321.jpg  

Budget Rocky Fatbike - Rocky Mountain Blizzard - 10-img_20151211_142330.jpg  

Budget Rocky Fatbike - Rocky Mountain Blizzard - 10-img_20151211_142347.jpg  

Budget Rocky Fatbike - Rocky Mountain Blizzard - 10-img_20151211_142355.jpg  

Budget Rocky Fatbike - Rocky Mountain Blizzard - 10-img_20151211_142436.jpg  

Budget Rocky Fatbike - Rocky Mountain Blizzard - 10-img_20151211_142452.jpg  

Budget Rocky Fatbike - Rocky Mountain Blizzard - 10-img_20151211_142559.jpg  

Budget Rocky Fatbike - Rocky Mountain Blizzard - 10-img_20151211_142606.jpg  

Budget Rocky Fatbike - Rocky Mountain Blizzard - 10-img_20151211_142615.jpg  

Budget Rocky Fatbike - Rocky Mountain Blizzard - 10-img_20151211_142620.jpg  

Budget Rocky Fatbike - Rocky Mountain Blizzard - 10-img_20151211_142636.jpg  

Budget Rocky Fatbike - Rocky Mountain Blizzard - 10-img_20151211_142649.jpg  

Last edited by tbonegreen; 12-16-2015 at 07:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Really a great looking bike. I also looked at the Blizzard, but a model or two up from this one. Ended up getting a Fatboy, but I really liked the RM a lot. The graphic is awesome - taken from a Snow Owl totem.
    MiTT
    Denver Metro (Front Range), Colorado

'17 Otso Voytek (B+ & Fat)
    '00 Yeti ARC
    '12 Novara Buzz

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Sweet ride tbone! Gotta love Country Cycle, Peter is top notch.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Great looking ride. Thanks for sharing this with us. Good deal too, I'm finding it hard to find a great deal in CAD$ compared to the deals in the US. Hopefully we will see more Canadian prices reflecting what is down in the USA.

How much does it weigh stock?

TboneGreen
    Sep 2009
    My previous bike was a Bikes Direct Boris x5. The bike treated me very well, and I never had any issues with it.

I decided I wanted the ability to run bigger tires, and thought I'd support a local shop in the process - instead of ordering online.

With the CAD$ the way it is, I couldn't say no to this bike.

And yup - Peter was great to deal with. I have a few riding buddies who have made the trip to Country Cycles to pick up a Rocky Mountain and had great experiences, so I thought I'd give it a try. I'd do it again in a heartbeat and wouldn't hesitate to recommend the shop to anybody else.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    LBS told me the SunRingle SRC FB Hubs on the 2016's were failing just like the 2015 Wheeltech's. The loudness of the rear hub is them doubling the spring count in the hubs, for better pawl engagement. I stripped a 2015 Hub, they rebuilt with double spring count and I stripped that as well. So they upgraded me to a Hope Fastno 2015, been rock solid ever since. The 2015 Hope hubs are much stiffer then the stock RM hubs, big difference in feel when pedaling. They're also even louder then the RM hubs with doubled springs. People can hear me coming for a long ways away.

Some guy
    Jul 2007
    This bike is on my short list. I can't decide between

Budget Option: Blizzard -10 for $1300

Higher end Option: Blizzard -30 for $2200 (better parts + 197mm thru axle rear and)

Middle Ground: A 9zero7 190mm frame build (Deore + BB7 + Vee Snowshoe 4.8") for $1750

TboneGreen
    Sep 2009
    For me, the differences between the Blizzard -10 and -30 weren't worth an extra $1000.

After riding the Blizzard -10 for a week I have zero regrets.

Beaudacious's post about the week hub has me a little curious though - I've blown through a few freehub's in my time...

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by McGuillicuddy View Post
    This bike is on my short list. I can't decide between

Budget Option: Blizzard -10 for $1300

Higher end Option: Blizzard -30 for $2200 (better parts + 197mm thru axle rear and)

Middle Ground: A 9zero7 190mm frame build (Deore + BB7 + Vee Snowshoe 4.8") for $1750
    The -30 is bang for buck. There are FBs at that price range which are a bit overpriced. I'm also one of the few that actually loves the paint job on that bike as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Looks like a great bike-have you tried to set up the wheelset tubeless? Also, where is Country Cycles located? Thanks and congratulations on the new ride!

Quote Originally Posted by tbonegreen View Post
    My previous bike was a Bikes Direct Boris x5. The bike treated me very well, and I never had any issues with it.

I decided I wanted the ability to run bigger tires, and thought I'd support a local shop in the process - instead of ordering online.

With the CAD$ the way it is, I couldn't say no to this bike.

And yup - Peter was great to deal with. I have a few riding buddies who have made the trip to Country Cycles to pick up a Rocky Mountain and had great experiences, so I thought I'd give it a try. I'd do it again in a heartbeat and wouldn't hesitate to recommend the shop to anybody else.

TboneGreen
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    Looks like a great bike-have you tried to set up the wheelset tubeless? Also, where is Country Cycles located? Thanks and congratulations on the new ride!
    Country Cycles is a little bike shop in Winkler, Manitoba, Canada.
    Country Cycle-Your local bike shop-Winkler Bicycle repairs

Last night I actually pulled my tires off my wheels to check out what was in there. I yanked the rim strip and put in some coloured duct tape (white) to make the holes in the wheels pop.
    I put the tube back in, but I definitely should have taken pictures of the lip on the rim. There is a decent edge with a fairly distinct lip. I don't see any reason why a tubeless setup wouldn't work.

I've never ran a tubeless setup personally, so I can't see myself doing it anytime soon. I should probably get some new tubes though. The tubes in there are fairly chunky tubes with schraeder valves.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I bought a -10 as well. The more i ride it the more I like it. Can't complain at that price.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Are these hubs the same as last years? On my 2015 Blizzard, the rear hub pawls chipped and the engagement was spotty. Rocky Mountain sent me new pawls, but the hub is once again making that dreadful noise on hard climbs. One riding buddy with a Blizzard had same problem. His freehub finally got to the point were it had no engagement. He was able to upgrade to the Hope. I plan on moving on to a DT rear hub.
    urmb
    ďHow inappropriate to call this planet "Earth," when it is clearly "Ocean.Ē
    ― Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by urmb View Post
    Are these hubs the same as last years? On my 2015 Blizzard, the rear hub pawls chipped and the engagement was spotty. Rocky Mountain sent me new pawls, but the hub is once again making that dreadful noise on hard climbs. One riding buddy with a Blizzard had same problem. His freehub finally got to the point were it had no engagement. He was able to upgrade to the Hope. I plan on moving on to a DT rear hub.
    urmb
    Different Hubs, same problems. Once your hub skips/chips pawls, it's only a matter of time.

If you want to extend the life of the stock Hub, remove the freehub, clean out all the stock grease, and lube it with something like Tri-Flow lube instead. Your hub will be louder, but It will work for much longer. You will have to re-lube it though on a regular basis (About 3 months of active ridding?). Also make sure there is zero play in the freehub, they can often come a bit lose from the factory.

The main problem is that the stock hubs are more flexy then something like the newer Hopes. I assume the large amount of grease in the Freehub mechanism paired with the flex allows the pawls to loose alignment, slip, chip, then strip. Once the pawl is chipped, its becomes easier and easier to strip. Replacing the grease with Tri-Flow like lube, essentially increases friction for the pawls, reducing the likelihood of a slip.

If you're a lighter rider though its less likely to occur. Both of my original hubs blew up on steep climbs. The rear hubs are then only real blemish for this bike. But from my understanding Rocky has been really good about fixing the problems.

TboneGreen
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by l3eaudacious View Post
    The rear hubs are then only real blemish for this bike. But from my understanding Rocky has been really good about fixing the problems.
    I'm not a lighter rider and have had issues with other freehubs in the past. I'll keep this thread updated if I have any issues.
    Last edited by tbonegreen; 12-16-2015 at 01:49 PM.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    The co-owner of #1 fat dealer here has told me that even though they do not have a model priced between the Blizzard 10 at $1300CAD and the Blizzard 30 at $2200CAD, that it is not worth spending money upgrading a Blizzard 10 because you'll never fix everything wrong with it for the price difference on a better complete bike. On paper its got lots of boxes checked but in reality... the stock tires are actually all the wire-bead non-tubeless versions of the 4.5 Juggernaut which do not roll that great, are heavy, and are often out-of-round as Kenda doesn't seem to be paying much attention in production quality control. The wheels are also quite heavy even with all the drill out holes for their size. For the money the entry level Norco Bigfoot or KHS 4-seasons 500 is a better bang for buck.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight View Post
    The co-owner of #1 fat dealer here has told me that even though they do not have a model priced between the Blizzard 10 at $1300CAD and the Blizzard 30 at $2200CAD, that it is not worth spending money upgrading a Blizzard 10 because you'll never fix everything wrong with it for the price difference on a better complete bike. On paper its got lots of boxes checked but in reality... the stock tires are actually all the wire-bead non-tubeless versions of the 4.5 Juggernaut which do not roll that great, are heavy, and are often out-of-round as Kenda doesn't seem to be paying much attention in production quality control. The wheels are also quite heavy even with all the drill out holes for their size. For the money the entry level Norco Bigfoot or KHS 4-seasons 500 is a better bang for buck.
    The Bigfoot is a nice bike on paper, except for the fact I think it's one of the ugliest fatties on the market. Also Norco bikes never fit me right, the Blizzard fits me like a glove.

Don't really care about spec's, its all changeable, the main thing is geo. RM bikes always ride great. I tell myself I don't want to be close minded, try other brands, but the bikes feel great descending, climbing or cornering. Feel like real All-mountain/trail bikes.

Also the Blizzard frame kit was a pretty good deal, with warranty on the hubs. Even though I bought a frame-kit my setup isn't too far off the completes, just some small tweaks.

TboneGreen
    Sep 2009
    So you don't own, or haven't even seen a Blizzard 10 in person? This is all third party information from somebody who makes more money selling the more expensive bike? Thanks for your comment - it was really useful.

This is an entry level bike. Its unique in this category in that it has 100mm rims with a true 4.5" beefy tire.

I was out tonight in a dump of fresh snow. There is no way that the Norco and KHS that you mentioned would go anywhere even close to where I was going tongiht. No-name crappy "4.0" tires (more like 3.5) that come on the bikes you mentioned have to be upgraded immediately if you have any plans of riding in snow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Budget Rocky Fatbike - Rocky Mountain Blizzard - 10-img_20151216_202229.jpg  

Budget Rocky Fatbike - Rocky Mountain Blizzard - 10-img_20151216_203203.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    So you don't own, or haven't even seen a Blizzard 10 in person? This is all third party information from somebody who makes more money selling the more expensive bike? Thanks for your comment - it was really useful.

This is an entry level bike. Its unique in this category in that it has 100mm rims with a true 4.5" beefy tire.

I was out tonight in a dump of fresh snow. There is no way that the Norco and KHS that you mentioned would go anywhere even close to where I was going tongiht. No-name crappy "4.0" tires (more like 3.5) that come on the bikes you mentioned have to be upgraded immediately if you have any plans of riding in snow.
    --

Superb bike this - I posted it on here some months back before it was listed on RM's website. My two buddies got the first two bikes at my LBS when they came in. Lovely build quality and great RM geo. The only change might be to up the fork to their carbon blade as Alu can be a little harsh . Also one of them, a convert to MTB, bent one of the rear cogs when changing gears in a rock garden - has now upgraded to a better rear set up. Regardless they love their bikes and I have two mates to go fatbiking with - now all we need here on Ontario is snow..
    Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt 750 MSL 2015
    Charge Cooker Maxi 2014
    Rocky Mountain Element Carbon 2011

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I started with a KHS 1000 last year. The -10 is a lot nicer ride and the quality is noticeably better. I would never recommend the KHS over the -10.

Actually I have seen them, lifted them and test ridden them myself. I agree with the shop owner's comments, while pretty the Blizzard 10 is not something I would recommend to any of my friends (and as I own a mukluk and an on-one myself, and have rebuilt budget fats I am quite familiar with the diminishing returns of starting with a $1300 fat and trying to make it into something better.

Actually its not that unique in the category. First off they're 95mm rims not 100, and not a particularly good rim at that and secondly they're not particularly good tires for actually riding on snow. For about the same money you can get a KHS 4-seasons 1000 with actual 100mm rims and 4.9 foldable bead 120TPI tires. You also get an actual 2x10 drivetrain with a clutch type rear derailleur instead of a mere 1x9 setup with a non-clutch, as well as those rack eyelets you complained were lacking on the Blizzard frames. The KHS frame btw thanks to its slider dropouts is also compatible with the Vee 2XL snowshoes, Bonty Hodag 650B x 3.8s and 29 x 3.0 size tires. And the front wheel is 150mm spacing and the headtube takes 44mm cups so a Bluto upgrade is actually possible.

How would you know? Have you ridden the tires they come with? You want to lecture me about my knowledge but have not provided any facts to back up your own statements.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Quote Originally Posted by firemb View Post
    I started with a KHS 1000 last year. The -10 is a lot nicer ride and the quality is noticeably better. I would never recommend the KHS over the -10.
    Apples and Oranges there comparing a 2015 to a 2016.

Last year's and this year's KHS lineups are very different beasts at the 1000 and lower levels. The 3000 and 5000 are relatively unchanged because they got them just about perfect last year already for the price points. The prices for the models are the same but the bike specs are very different as are the frames themselves. The 1000 is a 12x197 rear end for 2016 with a thru-axle, and has clearance for much bigger tires (stock tires are 26 x 4.9s, last year it was 26x4.0) on 20mm wider rims and a clutch type rear derailleur.

TboneGreen
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Charger H View Post
    --

Superb bike this - I posted it on here some months back before it was listed on RM's website. My two buddies got the first two bikes at my LBS when they came in. Lovely build quality and great RM geo. The only change might be to up the fork to their carbon blade as Alu can be a little harsh . Also one of them, a convert to MTB, bent one of the rear cogs when changing gears in a rock garden - has now upgraded to a better rear set up. Regardless they love their bikes and I have two mates to go fatbiking with - now all we need here on Ontario is snow..
    Have your buddies had any issues with the bikes yet? Hubs are still going strong?

mtbr member
    Meh my farley blew its free hub. Unless you want to spend $500 on a hope or i9 expect to replace your free hub once a season. Low temp grease i guess helps.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    No grease in your free hub: PL100 or chain oil.

TboneGreen
    Sep 2009
    Actually I have seen them, lifted them and test ridden them myself. I agree with the shop owner's comments, while pretty the Blizzard 10 is not something I would recommend to any of my friends (and as I own a mukluk and an on-one myself, and have rebuilt budget fats I am quite familiar with the diminishing returns of starting with a $1300 fat and trying to make it into something better.
    I think this is the point that you're struggling to understand. Some people want to buy a bike and just ride it. You keep thinking that everybody is buying this bike with the intention of turning it into an S-Works Fatboy. Well guess what - I bought this bike to have fun on it as is. Cockpit changes are changes I make on every bike.

So go troll somewhere else.

The point is, this thread was made for people looking for pics and information on the new budget Rocky Mountain Blizzard - 10. You're coming in here and leaving turds all over the place based on your opinion - well just don't - you sound stupid troll.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by new8812 View Post
    No grease in your free hub: PL100 or chain oil.
    Pl100? Sounds like construction adhesive
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    Pl100? Sounds like construction adhesive
    turn your fatty into a fatfixy!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Would someone be able to measure the A-C measurement of the fork for me?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

TboneGreen
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    This is with the tape measure sitting on the axle - so add a few millimeters for good measure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Budget Rocky Fatbike - Rocky Mountain Blizzard - 10-blizzardaxlecrown.jpg  

I think this is the point that you're struggling to understand. Some people want to buy a bike and just ride it. You keep thinking that everybody is buying this bike with the intention of turning it into an S-Works Fatboy. Well guess what - I bought this bike to have fun on it as is. Cockpit changes are changes I make on every bike.
    And you're struggling with the point that people DON'T have to agree with you. I don't think people buy entry fats with the intention to turn them into S-works fatboy equivalents but I do KNOW that many people who do then spend money trying to at least get mid-level price performance out of them because to hit that entry price tag, corners were obviously cut. Rocky would have been better off to instead of producing a totally different blizzard frameset with much lesser components than last year's blizzard to have dug an entirely different model name out of the company history vault (like the Glacier, which was the euro spec version of the blizzard) and apply it to the entry level fat bikes with spec's that make it obvious that its a different platform completely, because as it stands you cannot upgrade a Blizzard 10 to the equivalent of a Blizzard 30 because they're built around completely different frame/fork specs. They sell it for example as having a suspension corrected length 150mm spacing alloy fork... except its an open QR skewer fork and front wheel and absolutely NOBODY else uses that setup in that dropout width so there's actually no upgrade path for the fork that doesn't also require a new front wheel among other changes. At least Norco has had the good sense to have seperate Bigfoot and Sasquatch model lines. As to your bit about cockpit changes... at what point did I bring up cockpit setups on this or any other fat bike ?

Also I think you've already forgotten your opening paragraph on your first post...

While shopping for a new budget fatbike, I came across the Rocky Mountain Blizzard 10, but wasnít able to find a lot of information on it.
    I asked a LBS that is a Rocky Mountain dealer about a price and was quoted $1150 CAD (just over $800 USD). Without hesitation, I bought a size medium.

So its perfectly fine for your LBS that is a rocky dealer to tell you a price and to buy it with hardly any info on it but not ok for someone else who's LBS is a rocky dealer also to point out that they're not a good choice for someone planning to upgrade it ? And definitely not someone like me who DOES have a lot of information on the bike, and other fat bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    If you're planning to upgrade one to a suspension fork post-purchase you'll need the following...

- a new front wheel or at least to rebuild the existing wheel onto a new hub (unless by some miracle rocky spec'ed a hub with swappable axle end caps) because the fork and wheel are 150mm open QR skewer types not 15mm diameter thru-axle

- If you're planning to use a Bluto then an EC44 external cup lower headset assembly since the frame was designed around a straight 1 1/8 steerer as Rockshox has steadfast refused to offer it with anything but a tapered steerer tube.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    This is with the tape measure sitting on the axle - so add a few millimeters for good measure.
    Thanks 483mm seems to be the standard these days

If you're planning to upgrade one to a suspension fork post-purchase you'll need the following...

- a new front wheel or at least to rebuild the existing wheel onto a new hub (unless by some miracle rocky spec'ed a hub with swappable axle end caps) because the fork and wheel are 150mm open QR skewer types not 15mm diameter thru-axle

- If you're planning to use a Bluto then an EC44 external cup lower headset assembly since the frame was designed around a straight 1 1/8 steerer as Rockshox has steadfast refused to offer it with anything but a tapered steerer tube.
    I was looking at a rigid Salsa fork with all of the bottle cage mounts and rack braze-ons.

As much as I want to get the Rocky it's starting to make less sense. I was going to build a 29r+ wheelset for summer. I'd have to build a second front to accommodate my new fork also, not worth it. If someone wanted to ride this bike as is it looks like a good choice. With sights set on upgrading not so much. Thanks for the info, I learnt a lot from this thread.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Why are you looking at a $1150 complete bike, if you plant to do a complete overhaul and install a suspension fork? The frame set for the -50 or a complete guarantee's a better price point on hubs and Bluto. Who buys a $1100 complete bike to invest another $1000 in upgrades and forks.

Bikes around the $1100 price point are usually entry bikes. Some people don't need more then what comes with the package for their type of ridding. Others usually end up being replaced by a higher end model. Once the rider figures out if he/she likes Fat Biking, or has better idea of the Geo they would like in a Fat Bike.

Also can you stop mentioning the Norco? None of this upgrade shit matters if the geo is bad. I've never sat on a Norco that didn't ride like a schizophrenic Frankenstein. The Blizzard and the Farely are probably two of the best feeling lively geo's in current fat bikes.

The KHS looks like someone stretched out a wally world Huffy. I'm not usually that worried about bike styling, but god dam is that KHS an abomination for the eyes.

If you're buying a $1100 complete to then spend another $1000 to upgrade 4 months in, you're doing it wrong.

TboneGreen
    Sep 2009
    Someone in town was unloading a 'like new' Surly Bud/Lou combo - so I decided to grab them for a winter/snow set, and use the factory tires for summer/dirt riding.

There was a lot of conflicting information for the Lou fitting on the 2015 Blizzards, so I thought I'd share my experience with them.

They are actually narrower than the factory Kenda Juggernauts and fit with lots of room to spare.

Pictures attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Budget Rocky Fatbike - Rocky Mountain Blizzard - 10-img_20151220_194453.jpg  

Budget Rocky Fatbike - Rocky Mountain Blizzard - 10-img_20151220_194503.jpg  

Budget Rocky Fatbike - Rocky Mountain Blizzard - 10-img_20151220_194535.jpg  

Budget Rocky Fatbike - Rocky Mountain Blizzard - 10-img_20151220_194557.jpg  

TboneGreen
    Sep 2009
    And you're struggling with the point that people DON'T have to agree with you.
    Stupid trolls always love trying to get the last word.

Does that make me a hypocrite? Maybe.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Country Cycles is a little bike shop in Winkler, Manitoba, Canada.
    Country Cycle-Your local bike shop-Winkler Bicycle repairs

Last night I actually pulled my tires off my wheels to check out what was in there. I yanked the rim strip and put in some coloured duct tape (white) to make the holes in the wheels pop.
    I put the tube back in, but I definitely should have taken pictures of the lip on the rim. There is a decent edge with a fairly distinct lip. I don't see any reason why a tubeless setup wouldn't work.

I've never ran a tubeless setup personally, so I can't see myself doing it anytime soon. I should probably get some new tubes though. The tubes in there are fairly chunky tubes with schraeder valves.
    IMHO, you'd be doing yourself a great disservice not considering it. I actually think that going tubeless (of course given that your stock setup allows it) is the first upgrade everyone should do, and much more so with fat wheels. Both those stock tubes weight around 650-700 grams each, so that's about 3 pounds of rotational heft. Removing those is a huge weight saving in a critical place. You cannot even remotely reach that kind of weight savings with a 1500$ carbon rims upgrade...

Why are you looking at a $1150 complete bike, if you plant to do a complete overhaul and install a suspension fork? The frame set for the -50 or a complete guarantee's a better price point on hubs and Bluto. Who buys a $1100 complete bike to invest another $1000 in upgrades and forks.
    Lots of people... like the ones who can't afford to drop $2100 immediately but can do $1200 and another $900 over several months afterwards.

Bikes around the $1100 price point are usually entry bikes. Some people don't need more then what comes with the package for their type of ridding. Others usually end up being replaced by a higher end model. Once the rider figures out if he/she likes Fat Biking, or has better idea of the Geo they would like in a Fat Bike.
    Yes but if you read the OP's first message, you'd see he was going from one entry level fat to another entry level fat, presumably a higher price tag one at that since he commented about his 26 x 4.0 tires on his previous bike and liking the 4.5s. He may not plan to upgrade it beyond where it is but others should know what they're getting into if they are thinking that route on the bike (as the fellow above just confessed to wanting to put a Salsa rigid fork on one).

Also can you stop mentioning the Norco? None of this upgrade shit matters if the geo is bad. I've never sat on a Norco that didn't ride like a schizophrenic Frankenstein. The Blizzard and the Farely are probably two of the best feeling lively geo's in current fat bikes.
    No. because i've ridden the norco and it rides fine. Perhaps you merely lack the skill to adapt to different geometries of bikes ? I was riding groomed snow trails on regular steep geometry XC mountain bikes two decades before the bike universe had fat bikes at all. I do not need a 67 degree head angle to hold a straight line like some folks.

Stupid trolls always love trying to get the last word.

Does that make me a hypocrite? Maybe.
    Yes except you're the one being the troll whereas I'm posting useful facts for the benefit of others. And oh look, you went and upgraded the tires already. What did that set you back ? Weren't you just days ago posting about how great the stock tires were ? As to WHY the Surly Bud/Lou are smaller on those stock rims than the Juggernauts, that has to do with what rims they were respectively designed to be used with to achieve the claimed sizes. Surly designed the tires for the 100mm Clownshoe rims and on smaller rims they shrink. Kenda designed for 80mm rims and on larger rims they grow in measured widths.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Lots of people... like the ones who can't afford to drop $2100 immediately but can do $1200 and another $900 over several months afterwards.
    Do you live in the 1920's? Can you not save for 5 months? Is your credit so shit, you can't get a line of credit at prime + 1~3% at these current rates? Is paying that $25 on interest over 5 months, too crazy? What magical world do you live in?

No. because i've ridden the norco and it rides fine. Perhaps you merely lack the skill to adapt to different geometries of bikes ? I was riding groomed snow trails on regular steep geometry XC mountain bikes two decades before the bike universe had fat bikes at all. I do not need a 67 degree head angle to hold a straight line like some folks.
    My training/second winter bike is an XC SS steel bike with steep HA and 28mm studded tires, I run 46/20 during the winter and do fine on groomed trails, and climbs. Are we done playing who's is bigger? Cause if that's too small I bet I can find a buddy with even bigger. Are you 14 btw?

Also it rides "fine" is a real endorsement, why would I pay to ride "fine" geometry when I can pay to ride great geometry? Jesus Christ, did you forget your medication?

Perhaps you merely lack the skill to keep your ego in check, and adapt to different ideas?

TboneGreen
    Sep 2009
    You're the one being the troll whereas I'm posting useful facts for the benefit of others.
    Yes, I'm not providing any information...

I started this thread so that people can find information on this bike.

-Google "rocky mountain blizzard 10" - this thread is one of the top search results. (and other than your biased opinion based on what a bike shop owner told you, the thread has been great)

-Google "rocky mountain blizzard bud lou" - this thread is one of the top search results

So people looking for information on this bike will come and see this thread filled with helpful advice from everybody else - and they'll see how ridiculous you are being. This is an information thread for the Rocky Mountain Blizzard - 10.

And yeah - I bought a set of used tires. WOW. I've heard a lot about how great this tire setup is in the snow, so I had an opportunity to have a second set of tires for a fantastic price. My opinion of the Juggernauts does not change - they are fantastic meaty tires - and I'll definitely be using them again.

Your attempt at explaining tire sizes shows all I needed to know about your knowledge...

Some guy
    Jul 2007
    I think you're both being jackasses .

Anyways, I do think RMB was being a bit disingenuous by changing the frame on the -10 to be very different than the others. This goes against convention since generally the different levels of a particular model share the frame and differ only in component set (other than carbon models, of course). I'm sure there are exceptions to this convention by other vendors as well, but it is certainly the usual case.

I was interested in the Blizzard -10 and had to do some considerable digging before I realized that the -10 was not just a Blizzard -30/-50 with lower components, but was in fact even less bike than that. I could see others who research their purchases less obsessively than me not making that realization until it was too late.

That said, I think it is a fine into-level fat bike at a good price point. Just don't go into it thinking you're getting a frame that is very upgrade-worthy down the road.

TboneGreen
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by McGuillicuddy View Post
    I think you're both being jackasses .
    I don't disagree that I'm being a jackass!

I'm just feeding the troll...

Also, I don't necessarily disagree with the whole "different frame should have been a different model name" subject.

The fact is - it doesn't have a different model name. The Blizzard -10 is unique.

The whole point of this thread is to try and share information about this bike, so potential consumers can make a decision based on actual information about the bike - IE: from lots of photos, from asking questions about the bike from someone who has one nearby (ex: A-C question), and things like the tire fitment.

People sharing experience about potential issues (ie: hubs) and potential preventative maintenance and solutions is great.

People asking about an upgrade path and having a discussion about diminishing returns and whether or not its the right bike is great.

Someone coming in here and crapping on the thread and the bike because their bike shop owner made a comment about it once - that is useless and pointless.

Further to the hubs... Sun-Ringle has admitted they badly designed the hubs and there's been a host of problems and they're offering rebuild kits to dealers for free (but not compensating the dealers for having to use the kits to fix customers hubs). So much for another selling point dealers have used on the Blizzard 10s (having the supposedly $250 rear hub).

Yes, I'm not providing any information...

I started this thread so that people can find information on this bike.
    An opinion is what you've provided, but not actual facts about the bike. That job is left to people like me who actually KNOW about the bike.

-Google "rocky mountain blizzard 10" - this thread is one of the top search results. (and other than your biased opinion based on what a bike shop owner told you, the thread has been great)
    Wow... you must be so proud that you're the 7th spot in a google search. Too bad it wasn't achieved without others responding to the original post. And while yes a bike shop owner told me in his opinion its not a bike worth buying with the intent to upgrade, that was also an opinion based on the facts of the bike, and that he's been selling fat bikes for a decade. He's also a Surly dealer and a Salsa dealer besides being a Rocky dealer.

-Google "rocky mountain blizzard bud lou" - this thread is one of the top search results
    Again, only because the thread has received replies, not because of anything you've actually reported though.

I don't disagree that I'm being a jackass!

I'm just feeding the troll...
    Except you're not. You're the one being the actual troll. Trolls attract people correcting their garbage, and what you're spewing is pretty stinky garbage.

Someone coming in here and crapping on the thread and the bike because their bike shop owner made a comment about it once - that is useless and pointless.
    Why? Because shop owners know nothing about the bikes they sell ? Because other people can't possibly know anything about the bikes themselves without owning one?

Do you live in the 1920's? Can you not save for 5 months? Is your credit so shit, you can't get a line of credit at prime + 1~3% at these current rates? Is paying that $25 on interest over 5 months, too crazy? What magical world do you live in?
    Considering I own a pair of $4-5k fats already and another 20k in other mountain bikes, I can afford them just fine, but others might not be in the same boat. My ego is in check, yours however is the one running away with itself. And for the record I'm 43, but if you want to play a who's bigger game then you are going to lose.

TboneGreen
    Sep 2009
    2016 Rocky Mountain Blizzard 10

Iím including a whole bunch of pictures so anybody interested in the bike can get a closer look. If anybody has questions or needs additional information, donít hesitate to ask!
    This is a quote from my first post in this thread. I have pointed out the intention for this thread several times already.

If I've helped one person by providing pictures, or insight into information on the bike (like that it easily fits a Surly Bud and Lou combo) then my intention for this thread has been fulfilled.

I am trying to leave a trail of information about a bike I bought for people that are interested in buying the bike, or who have already bought it and are curious about products that I have, or will be adding to it (ie, Surly Bud & Lou). I'm currently experimenting with some frame bags - stay tuned.

I've had nothing but great experiences with the bike up to this point. If I have problems - I will absolutely post those as well.

DeeEight clearly doesn't understand internet etiquette, and is probably the type of guy that buys tons of stuff on Amazon and never leaves reviews - but uses the reviews all the time. He also has a title, a signature and a post count that suggests he's a bigger troll than I realize. So this will be my last post of engagement with this member who clearly has nothing to add to this conversation.

Edit: DeeEight added to ignore list. This thread just got infinitely better!
    Last edited by tbonegreen; 12-22-2015 at 10:19 AM.

DeeEight clearly doesn't understand internet etiquette, and is probably the type of guy that buys tons of stuff on Amazon and never leaves reviews - but uses the reviews all the time. He also has a title, a signature and a post count that suggests he's a bigger troll than I realize. So this will be my last post of engagement with this member who clearly has nothing to add to this conversation.
    I buy nothing off Amazon ever and if you knew their seller contract requirements you wouldn't either, or knew what they allowed to be listed (unless you're shopping for new reproduction hitler youth daggers). I also do not rely on other people's reviews but I've written hundreds if not thousands of reviews on THIS site. The title is correct... i do not play well with morons and idiots... a category you obviously fall into. The signature is because there have been times when folks have used self-reviews here to promote their own sales. And the post count is because I've been a member for nearly 20 years.

TboneGreen
    Sep 2009
    Update

I've had the bike now for over a month and I have ridden it every single day. I've made a few small changes from stock - but as it sits, I'm 100% satisfied with everything about it. I would recommend this bike to anyone without hesitation.

I just got back from a 2 hour bike ride - today it is -25įC and feels like -30įC with the wind. The temperature has been this cold for several days of riding. Even with these temperatures I haven't had any issues whatsoever with any components on the bike *knock on wood*.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Budget Rocky Fatbike - Rocky Mountain Blizzard - 10-blizzard.jpg  

mtbr member
    Love the Blizzards. Buddy purchased the Blizzard-10 today. What frame bag is that tbone? It's a nice fit.

TboneGreen
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by geop View Post
    What frame bag is that tbone? It's a nice fit.
    Its actually just a cheap Ibera frame bag - the large size. It fits pretty good and has decent storage.
    I've used the metal ruler technique I've found on here - I drilled holes into a metal ruler and mounted it to the inside of the bag via the bottle holder mounts. It holds the whole bag super sturdy.

I actually just got around to mounting my Ibera rear rack tonight. I originally didn't think I could mount a rear rack on this bike, but I discovered that all I needed was a seat post clamp with built in rack mounts. I'll take some pics on my ride tomorrow for an update.

TboneGreen
    Sep 2009
    So I got my rear rack all mounted up - used it on a long ride today and it was great!

TboneGreen
    Sep 2009
    With things melting and the weather turning really nice, it finally happened...
    My freehub crapped out on me.

Anybody reading this have experience dealing with this?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Yep, twice this winter. First time was broken pawls and the second time the drive ring stripped in the hub. Local shop and Rocky were great both times!!

TboneGreen
    Sep 2009
    Local shop and Rocky were great both times!!
    Hopefully I have the same experience!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    As long as your shop is good to you I can't see why Rocky wouldn't be. We have quite a few Rocky's around here this winter, some hub troubles with a few of them but guy's are liking them overall.

TboneGreen
    Sep 2009
    Just a follow up to this since I haven't in a while.

My LBS hooked me up and got my Blizzard -10 going again at no charge to me. They said that Sunringle and Rocky were fantastic to deal with.
    While I was waiting on parts, my LBS gave me a loaner rear wheel to keep me riding - THAT is the type of service that you look for in your shop.

TboneGreen
    Sep 2009
    Yep, twice this winter. First time was broken pawls and the second time the drive ring stripped in the hub. Local shop and Rocky were great both times!!
    So my blizzard has actually been down for a couple months, but I just thought about updating this thread.

What is described above by firemb is EXACTLY what happened to me.
    As the snow was melting, the pawls in the hub broke. A month or so after the repair, the drive ring stripped in the hub.

high pivot witchcraft
    ...I've never sat on a Norco that didn't ride like a schizophrenic Frankenstein...
    Dude. Are you drunk? Seriously.

*Norco slam aside, that is kinda funny*
    Last edited by mtnbkrmike; 08-25-2016 at 10:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I just got the -10 recently and I'm curious about a tubeless setup on this bike. Has anyone successfully converted this to tubeless with the stock rims and Juggernaut Sport tires?

high pivot witchcraft
    Just wondering - with this much awareness of what appears to be a guaranteed fail rate, why not just spend a little extra and swap out the free hub for something more reliable, before the bike leaves the shop?

TboneGreen
    Sep 2009
    I haven't checked in for a while, but a quick update. I recently got my Blizzard -10 back from my LBS. I don't know who took care of the costs (Rocky or my LBS), but I was hooked up again with no cost to me.

Peter at Country Cycle has been absolutely fantastic to deal with.

mtbr member
    Anybody else having hub issues? I got my blizzard -10 a week ago. Took it to the Don here in Toronto, had a blast. Tried it out on a wee little bit of snow we got last night, fun stuff.

What are some symptoms of hub issues that I should be looking out for?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Hi, I would like to buy the RM blizzard -10 and I would need an adaptor for kuat trio roof rack. There are many options about fatbike adaptors. Do you know which one I need?
    Thanks

TboneGreen
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjanoir78 View Post
    Hi, I would like to buy the RM blizzard -10 and I would need an adaptor for kuat trio roof rack. There are many options about fatbike adaptors. Do you know which one I need?
    Thanks
    The front hub on my blizzard -10 is a 135x9mm QR, so this is the adapter that I would use:
    https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...Kuat/TRP9.html

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    The front hub on my blizzard -10 is a 135x9mm QR, so this is the adapter that I would use:
    https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...Kuat/TRP9.html
    Great. Thank you

Envoyť de mon LG-D852 en utilisant Tapatalk

mtbr member
    confirming 4 layers of gorilla tape later, bead won't seal. The gap between the bead and the rim is far too great.

Can't go tubeless with these rims and tires.

TboneGreen
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by d4nt3ch View Post

Can't go tubeless with these rims and tires.
    I'm pretty sure there are multiple people on the "Fatbike" Facebook page that have had success setting these rims up tubeless.

mtbr member
    I'm pretty sure there are multiple people on the "Fatbike" Facebook page that have had success setting these rims up tubeless.
    Rims maybe, but not with these juggernaut tires.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk