Budget frame options?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2019

Budget frame options?

I kind of like the idea of a fat bike to ride in the sand and other places my Wolverine can't and I've seen few fat bikes, some those compact folding models that have like 20x4in tires. I want to keep this on the affordable. For simplicity sake I think I want a rigid fork, unless there is an minimal maintenance suspension fork that people rec. I am looking to get a frame or if possible framset in the $325(usd) or less range. Does 27.5 fat bike exists? Would that be better than 26 fat? I also want the ability to run 3in tires for those times I need to. I don't care for bike packing or any of that sort, but having one bottle mount is of course key.

Side question what are my built fatbike option at $500-650 range? My LBS has this bike, but not if that would be any better than the various Mongoose fat bike at the big box stores. Could this fit 3in tires? Edit called them up and if I went this route for $60 on top of the bike price they can convert it from 3x7 to 1x7(14-28 yuck) as it's a freewheel hub and with a max being 8spd cassette in the rear. :-/ Looking like the frame route might be it?

Thank you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Check out the Framed bikes fat bike selection. Also check their outlet section. We just bought 2 of them. They are a touch over the amounts you stated; however, you get a lot better equipment than what you just described. My wife and I are very happy with our bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Just saw some of their bikes. Not sure what the difference between some of them are as Minnesota 1 and 1.2, the Alaska and the Wolftrax. I am seeing frames for the alloy Alaska and Wolftrax are the same price, but I think Wolf comes with a for at that price? I know Alaska can take suspension fork, can the Minnesota and Wolftrax take it if I ever wanted to go that route? What about 27.5 tires in the 3.5 rage? Which model did you get?
    Last edited by Funoutside; 09-12-2019 at 11:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Yes, I believe the Woltrax comes with the fork. The Alaskan and the Wolftrax have tapered head tubes and can take higher end suspension forks. The Minnesota has a straight head tube.
    I got the Alaskan Alloy with carbon fork from the outlet section. I couldn't buy a frame and build it up for anywhere close to that price. My wife got the new model Wolftrax Alloy Deore 1x10. Same thing, couldn't have built it for anywhere near that price.
    I know they they are supposed to take up to 26x4.8 and 27.5+ but I don't know how big on the 27.5+. The have a higher end Wolftrax on 27.5x4 tires. I imagine it's the same frame.
    Give them a call. They are very helpful.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Good to know. Is there a length difference between the Wolftrax and Alaska? What about handling?

mtbr member
    Jul 2018

Budget frame options?

Quote Originally Posted by Funoutside View Post
    Just saw some of their bikes. Not sure what the difference between some of them are as Minnesota 1 and 1.2, the Alaska and the Wolftrax. I am seeing frames for the alloy Alaska and Wolftrax are the same price, but I think Wolf comes with a for at that price? I know Alaska can take suspension fork, can the Minnesota and Wolftrax take it if I ever wanted to go that route? What about 27.5 tires in the 3.5 rage? Which model did you get?
    I purchased the Wolftrax 27.5 in January and it came with a rigid fork. I just installed a RockShox Bluto for summer riding and it has made riding single track much more enjoyable. I plan on using the rigid fork in the winter.

My bike came with 4 in. Cakeeaters and there is plenty of clearance for wider tires. Iím probably going to go with studded 4.5 in. Gnarwhals for the winter.

Im very pleased with the Wolftrax.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    May have to take a look at the regular Wolftrax then. Price is more than I would like to spend, but it has better specs than what the LBS is offering. Sadly no bike shop in my state offers their bikes. Ugh

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Good to know. Is there a length difference between the Wolftrax and Alaska? What about handling?
    I don't know without checking the specs. We bought different sized frames so measuring wouldn't work.
    As far as handling, I don't have a lot to compare since I've only been on one other fat bike and it was another Wolftrax. They handle better than I thought a fat bike would.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Ah, should have been a bit clearer, how does the Wolftrax handling compare to the Alaska?

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    May have to take a look at the regular Wolftrax then. Price is more than I would like to spend, but it has better specs than what the LBS is offering. Sadly no bike shop in my state offers their bikes. Ugh
    Yea, I bought mine site unseen (except for the website photos). I did call and speak to a salesman at Framed to ensure that my size choice was correct. He was right and the bike fit for me is very good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Ah, should have been a bit clearer, how does the Wolftrax handling compare to the Alaska?
    They both handle very well. It is hard to say one is better than the other because my wife's Woltrax is a small frame with a shorter stem and I'm 6' 210 lbs. Not fair to judge since it doesn't fit. The carbon fork on the Alaskan feels a little different than the alloy fork on my wife's bike but that could all be in my head.
    The Wolftrax I rode before was owned by someone I met at a trailhead. It is how I was introduced to Framed. As far as I remember it was very similar to the Alaskan. It handled well enough for me to buy to Framed fat bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Good to know. I guess the first thing I need to do is ride a fat bike to see if I really like how it rides or not.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    We were going to rent some to do the same but there were none to rent in north FL. I would've bought a fat bike either way. At the end of the day, it's still a bike.
    I have been away from MTB since the mid 90's and never had a nice bike. A couple of years ago I bought a 2015 Schwinn Signature Rocket 5 to get back onto riding. With a few mods I had a decent entry level bike that I really like. I changed the tires from 1.9" to 2.2" and really liked the feel.
    The trails I built on my property are very soft with some sugar sand in parts. The new tires were better but I was looking for more. Enter the fat bike. Youtube videos alone, I was going to get one. I was looking at the Mongoose Jeaneau when I met a guy at a local trail with a Wolftrax.
    After asking about the bike, he offered to let me ride it and took a spin on my Rocket. I loved it. There were a few differences but nothing to make it offensive. As you know, the tire mass is noticeable but not as bad as you might think. Just different when doing an A to B comparison.
    If you like to get air and like the feel of a very "flickable" bike, try one out. You may want two bikes in the stable. For me, I'm older and love the stable, go anywhere ride. I hate to say, I don't ride my other bike at all anymore. Even on the road (the small amount I do).

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Would a fat bike be the better choice if I am thinking about running either 26 or 27.5 x3.5" wide tires?

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    It gives you the option of either, where a plus bike limits you to its max size. When i tried even slightly larger tires on my other bike, they rubbed the frame until I dropped air to minimum.
    I worried about tire size until I rode the 26x4. I like it and may just stay with it when i get new tires. At least i have a ton of option now.

mtbr member
    Look on BikesDirect. I'm not sure if they carry fatties though.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    Look on BikesDirect. I'm not sure if they carry fatties though.
    They do.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Honestly look for a rigid used. I found my Fatboy frame for less than any budget new frame not a specialized fan but that thing has been money
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by SmittyMTB View Post
    It gives you the option of either, where a plus bike limits you to its max size. When i tried even slightly larger tires on my other bike, they rubbed the frame until I dropped air to minimum.
    I worried about tire size until I rode the 26x4. I like it and may just stay with it when i get new tires. At least i have a ton of option now.
    That's a good point.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by HEMIjer View Post
    Honestly look for a rigid used. I found my Fatboy frame for less than any budget new frame not a specialized fan but that thing has been money
    Yeah that's what I am also looking at. Checking my local CL and FB for deals. I am in no big rush as I am still trying to get the fit of my other bike properly adjusted. But those Framed bikes the frameset is at a fair price, and would be tough to be a fully built bike of their on sale. And a part of me wants steel or carbon, not aluminum.