Bud/Lou on narrow rim?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    26

    Bud/Lou on narrow rim?

    So I've currently got 82mm HRD front and rear. I'm going to get a narrow, summer-specific rear wheel built up, and likely later on build a 100mm front winter-specific wheel (but that's another story).

    Anyway, I'm wondering who has run Lou specifically (though Bud is probably also applicable here) on a narrow rim? I'm not sure if I should get the 65mm Marge Lite or the 52mm Stans Hugo, or something else I haven't thought about altogether.

    Any thoughts?

  2. #2
    aka bOb
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,812
    Ozzy has run Buds on 65's I believe with good luck. I run 4" on 52's in the summer and I would never put a Bud or Lou on em.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Ozzy has run Buds on 65's I believe with good luck. I run 4" on 52's in the summer and I would never put a Bud or Lou on em.
    Good to know, thanks!

  4. #4
    .44
    Reputation: stremf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,248
    Tubes or tubeless?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    Tubes or tubeless?
    Tubeless

  6. #6
    Rippin da fAt
    Reputation: BansheeRune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,090
    I saw a writeup on a rig with Bud/Lou on Velocity Duallys (45mm). The trouble I would have with it is air pressure to keep 'em from folding over in cornering. Concrete filled tires just really suck hind tit.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtuck1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    439
    I ran Buds on the front of mine and my wife's bikes this winter, both on Marge Lite and they were great, no issues whatsoever. I don't think I would go any smaller (rim) than that though.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    533
    bud/lou on nextie 65's worked fine for me all winter.

  9. #9
    Rippin da fAt
    Reputation: BansheeRune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,090
    65's work well with 4.8's, tho' something like Dually or Northpaws would be just too narrow to allow the tire to fill out and be a 4.8. I use a 47mm rim on the rear of my trials bike with a 2.4 for the footprint and traction of low pressure without the folding problem. On the fatty, 80mm with 4.8 so I can ride 6-8 psi without folding in the corners and have superior traction over super narrow rims and knife edge tires.
    Narrower the rim, higher the pressure to avoid fold over.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    525
    I run 4.25 H-Billie/Snowshoe combo on 47mm trials rims, not sure I would go any bigger than that - and even so I am considering switching to the smaller Fat B Nimble tires - the 47mm are summer go fast(ish) wheels.

    :-)

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Destr0 View Post
    I run 4.25 H-Billie/Snowshoe combo on 47mm trials rims, not sure I would go any bigger than that - and even so I am considering switching to the smaller Fat B Nimble tires - the 47mm are summer go fast(ish) wheels.

    :-)
    Thanks for the input. Looks like Marge Lite for me.

  12. #12
    M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Reputation: Leopold Porkstacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    8,471
    I’ve been doing hard hits and landings, and bombing through rock gardens at speed on my Lous (front and rear) on tubeless Nextie 65mm rims (bike is fully rigid and singlespeed) with no issues whatsoever. Running the front at roughly 7psi and the rear at roughly 8psi. Has endured two Cat1/Open/Pro and three Cat2 XC races so far this season without any issues (all were podium finishes too—two 1st places, two 2nds, one 3rd place). Have been beating the hell out of them on my training rides too, lots of abuse endured.
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    463
    Any lower than 65mm you have to put too much air in the tyres, thereby loosing any advantage of extra cushioning offered by the larger tyres.

  14. #14
    banned
    Reputation: awai04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,167
    This is exactly the information I want. Sounds like 65mm width rims and 4.8" Lou tires are a perfectly compatible combo? Ever any appreciable gain from incrementally wider 80-82mm wide rims and same size tires?

  15. #15
    Rippin da fAt
    Reputation: BansheeRune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,090
    Larger footprint with wider rim, narrower footprint with narrower rim, that simple.
    There is also the air pressure issue. Narrower rims, higher pressure to prevent foldover in cornering. There is an advantage of being a little less rolling resistance with narrow rims at the cost of traction, not to mention comfort. The more you round 'em out, the less rubbuh in contact with the surface they are playing on!!!

    Aand, the kind of person that sees the pressure rating on the sidewall of the tire and just can't resist using the maximum pressure printed on the sidewall of the tire.
    Most of the fat tires have a max inflation of 30 psi, that would provide you with a very harsh ride, lest you weigh in at 300+ lbs..Just sayin.

    The reason I chose 82mm rims is for the ability to run my 4.8's at lower pressure for dirt and way lower for snow/sand. 100's would improve this even more however, it would be overkill if I chose to run 4.0's and more weight. 6 psi does me well riding Fruita/Junktown. 160# rider weight fwiw.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    525
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Larger footprint with wider rim, narrower footprint with narrower rim, that simple.
    There is also the air pressure issue. Narrower rims, higher pressure to prevent foldover in cornering. There is an advantage of being a little less rolling resistance with narrow rims at the cost of traction, not to mention comfort. The more you round 'em out, the less rubbuh in contact with the surface they are playing on!!!

    Aand, the kind of person that sees the pressure rating on the sidewall of the tire and just can't resist using the maximum pressure printed on the sidewall of the tire.
    Most of the fat tires have a max inflation of 30 psi, that would provide you with a very harsh ride, lest you weigh in at 300+ lbs..Just sayin.

    The reason I chose 82mm rims is for the ability to run my 4.8's at lower pressure for dirt and way lower for snow/sand. 100's would improve this even more however, it would be overkill if I chose to run 4.0's and more weight. 6 psi does me well riding Fruita/Junktown. 160# rider weight fwiw.
    All these reasons are why I chose to run 47mm on my Bucksaw with 3.8 or 4.25 tires. With the full squish I run a bit more air pressure anyway - and being big and heavy (6'3" tall and 240#) if I run low pressure even on my bud and lou on 80mm rims I can get rim strikes. For the BS I wanted a round profile low rolling resistance tire. I may switch to the FBN tires but liking the ride so far so hard to justify buying a second FBN. I have one as a spare tire to keep in my truck. With the Bud and Lou on my hard tail I run about 7-10PSI depending on trail conditions. With the 47mm and the BS I am usually 9-12PSI.

  17. #17
    Rippin da fAt
    Reputation: BansheeRune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,090
    There ya go! You and my roommate are big enough to eat bailed hay! Load if a game changer!
    It's kinda like putting a set of load range B tires on a 1 ton pickumup.

    This is not to be offensive in any way. It is solely to point out that we all are a different load on a bike, thus we have different setups to accommodate it.

    as for 47's, rode my buddy's bike with 47's, It's like mountain tires on road rims. Cornering suffered severely for me. My rig is ht, his is fs.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-27-2015, 01:37 PM
  2. Need a narrow 22.2 to 31.8 shim.
    By mwv in forum Bikepacking and Bike Expedition
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-11-2015, 06:20 AM
  3. help me narrow down a bike
    By tripptallica in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-31-2013, 02:03 PM
  4. Rim: wide or narrow?
    By JonathanGennick in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-09-2012, 12:34 AM
  5. Narrow my bars?
    By Gary H in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-07-2011, 03:26 PM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.