Bucksaw vs Pony Rustler- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Bucksaw vs Pony Rustler

I currently own a Fatboy w/ Bluto, and a Turner Czar (29er).

I had been planning on buying a Bucksaw frame and building it up. I'm looking for something to give me a Cadillac cushy ride through the ugly rocky rooty sections on those days that I don't feel like finessing anything -- I just want to be a lazy fred and bike over everything in comfort. I already have the Bluto and carbon 65mm wheels I could move over to the bucksaw, and keep the Fatboy as a dedicated snow bike.

But now the 27.5+ craze has me wondering. Should I go Pony Rustler instead? I do sometimes get tired of the fatbike bounce (and avoiding it via pressures or pedaling technique) and self steer when the pressures get too low, and wonder if the 130F/120R on the Pony Rustler will give an even smoother ride in rough terrain despite the smaller tire cush.

Anyone ride both and have thoughts?

This place needs an enema
    Where do you live and what kind of terrain do you ride?

That'll dictate the answer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    North east (NY). Trails here are singletrack but with lots of rocks and logs and roots scattered about. I dislike low BB's. Lots of sleep ups and downs too, but relatively short.

I don't ride at scary fast speeds. Well, I scare myself, but I'm slow on the downs compared to riders with actual talent.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    matto6...where are you located? I'm in Queensbury/Saratoga area...

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I've been thinking that 27.5+ might be the "best" choice for 3 season riding here in the rooty, rocky NE. I am probably going to have a wheelset built for my carbon Beargrease.

Live Free & Ride
    Minus the rear suspension, this setup has worked wonders for me in the same NE terrain you have out your way. B+ has been A+ so far!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bucksaw vs Pony Rustler-2015-07-30-09.20.21.jpg  

Bucksaw vs Pony Rustler-2015-09-29-15.24.02.jpg  

Bucksaw vs Pony Rustler-2015-07-30-09.19.55.jpg  

17 Fuel EX 9.9 (in progress)
    19 FM 279 carbon gravel
    17 Stache 29+
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r

https://kettleheadbrewing.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The Fox fork for 27.5+ is probably better than the Bluto. Even if you go Busksaw I'd take a hard look at that because it fits 4" and smaller on 65mm.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    The Fox fork for 27.5+ is probably better than the Bluto. Even if you go Busksaw I'd take a hard look at that because it fits 4" and smaller on 65mm.
    I have been thinking of getting rid of Bluto for the Fox! For snow, I really like the simplicity of a carbon fork but for the non snow seasons, I'd like a suspended front. Therefore rendering my other bikes redundant!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Just read up on the Pony Rustler, and am all a quiver. I am no pro or anything, but..... I want one! Looks like a perfect 3 season bike.

Is there a fork that will fit the Bucksaw, that is not a Bluto? But fit a 4" tire. I have a Bluto on my f7 an it seems a bit flexey. Sorry for the non technical word.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    If you don't like low bb height, the ponyrustler may not be right for you. I own a Horsethief and got to demo a ponyrustler, it seemed to have an even lower bb.
    The bike is very capable but you may have more pedal strikes with it.
    See if you can demo a ponyrustler, it may be what you want if bb height is acceptable

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    If you are going to drop that sort of coin on an FS mid fat, you can do better than a Ponyrustler, especially if you want a high BB; Salsa is not.

I'm partial to Foes, I own a Mutz (27+ and 26" wheels) and I have built a few other Foes, they ride very well, and they are well built. Take a look at the Foes Alpine 27+ or a Mixer in plus size.

There are lots of threads on FS 27+, but you should demo before deciding. Personally, I wouldn't buy an FS with less that 140mm travel; and I'm an old guy who keeps the wheels on the ground most of the time. Big travel takes up the hits so you can ride faster.

If you go fat, for sure junk the Bluto, you want a decent fork if you're going FS, no reason to dumb down the front of your bike. Better FS forks are coming...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactweek View Post
    If you don't like low bb height, the ponyrustler may not be right for you. I own a Horsethief and got to demo a ponyrustler, it seemed to have an even lower bb.
    The PR is just a HT with a different rear triangle to accommodate wider tires. So if the 27+ tires aren't as tall as what you are using on the HT it will have a lower BB.

What we really need are 27+ bikes that were designed for that wheel size from the get go.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mactweek View Post
    See if you can demo a ponyrustler, it may be what you want if bb height is acceptable
    I know. But they all have stupid-low BB's these days. PR is one of the higher ones.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    If you are going to drop that sort of coin on an FS mid fat, you can do better than a Ponyrustler, especially if you want a high BB; Salsa is not.

I'm partial to Foes, I own a Mutz (27+ and 26" wheels) and I have built a few other Foes, they ride very well, and they are well built. Take a look at the Foes Alpine 27+ or a Mixer in plus size.
    The Alpine looks pretty nice! The BB isn't all that much higher though. 3.25 vs 3.1 of the PR, and the foes will have more sag.

What's with Foes super-long chainstays? Maybe that's not so bad if my goal is to have a Cadillac, but I was hoping for shorter.

There are lots of threads on FS 27+, but you should demo before deciding. Personally, I wouldn't buy an FS with less that 140mm travel; and I'm an old guy who keeps the wheels on the ground most of the time. Big travel takes up the hits so you can ride faster.
    Yeah I've never really owned a longer travel bike. Maybe I should give it a try.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    For some reason, either the public or the media have reported that lower BB's handle better. I beg to differ, but what do I know... my Mutz has a low BB, but I love the way it rides.

What about Specialized?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    What about Specialized?
    It's the lowest!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I have had bikes with high BB and it's nice not to have to think about pedal strikes but there is a price to pay for that. With a high BB the bike will be harder to balance on slow technical trails, not so noticeable at speed. Lower BB easier to balance at low speeds but you have to watch the pedal strikes. It's a trade off. I have had a BS for about 6 months don't find pedal strikes to be a problem but you do have to keep track of your pedals.

mtbr member
    Get a Bucksaw, and have 2 sets of wheels. 4", and 3". That's my plan!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Bucksaw vs Pony Rustler

Quote Originally Posted by matto6 View Post
    North east (NY). Trails here are singletrack but with lots of rocks and logs and roots scattered about. I dislike low BB's. Lots of sleep ups and downs too, but relatively short.

I don't ride at scary fast speeds. Well, I scare myself, but I'm slow on the downs compared to riders with actual talent.

Matto, same one as on WMBA? If so I have a Bucksaw and more than welcome to link up and head out on some trails together to get a feel for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I did demo both bikes back to back at a Salsa demo day for a few hours on the trails.
    I liked the Pony Rustler so much more over the Bucksaw. I have a Beargrease that I ride all season so was surprised that I kinda disliked the BS.

The Dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    The PR is just a HT with a different rear triangle to accommodate wider tires.
    This is not actually correct. The pony rustler and the horsethief are the *exact* same frame in every respect. Brilliant marketing on Salsa's part.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogdude222 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    The PR is just a HT with a different rear triangle to accommodate wider tires.
    This is not actually correct. The pony rustler and the horsethief are the *exact* same frame in every respect. Brilliant marketing on Salsa's part.
    Blasphemy!!
    Next you're going to tell me my Bucksaw is not a Spearfish with a wider rear triangle and a BB spacer welded in between the 2 outer halves.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by nyrangerfan222 View Post
    Matto, same one as on WMBA? If so I have a Bucksaw and more than welcome to link up and head out on some trails together to get a feel for it.
    Thanks! PM'd!