Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    119

    Bucksaw question - 27.5 x 3.8 Hodag on 65mm rim in the rear??

    I've searched and searched and can't find a thread that addresses this question, sorry in advance if this has already been addressed.

    I have a carbon Bucksaw and just picked up a set of 27.5 x 65mm Nextie carbon Black Eagle rims. Does anyone know if a 27.5 x 65mm rim with a 3.8 Hodag will fit in the rear of the Bucksaw? I know it will fit in my Bluto based on all the discussions here, but I can't seem to find any info on this setup fitting in a Bucksaw. I'm REALLY hoping it will work and would like to know for sure before I spend the money to build up the rear wheel, so hopefully someone has tried this setup before.

    Thanks in advance for all the help, I'm fairly new to the fat bike scene.

  2. #2
    beer thief
    Reputation: radair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    4,849
    Iím guessing it will fit no problem. I have run Hodags on 27.5 by 50 mm rims and had plenty of room. Hodags measured about 3.5Ē wide on my rims.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    14
    Nate on Blizzerk 70 vs 27.5 Hodag on Mulefut 50.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bucksaw question - 27.5 x 3.8 Hodag on 65mm rim in the rear??-cb2dacef-c2b3-40cb-b47b-5232acf5baf1.jpg  


  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    357
    27.5x3.8 Hodags on my 65mm Nextie Black Eagle rims measure 3.5" wide and 29.3125" in diameter at ~8psi and completely unweighted.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    512
    Tuning in because i need more wheels.

  6. #6
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    12,536
    I've built heaps of 27.5 x 45 and 50mm rims for people to run 3.8" tires on their Bucksaws. Plenty o' clearance.

    Never had anyone ask for a rim wider than 50mm for a 3.8" tire.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    512
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I've built heaps of 27.5 x 45 and 50mm rims for people to run 3.8" tires on their Bucksaws. Plenty o' clearance.

    Never had anyone ask for a rim wider than 50mm for a 3.8" tire.
    Never been on 27.5 fat. What do you think would be faster? Jumbo jim on a 26 x 65mm carbon or a 27.5 x 50 carbon + hodag setup?

    Im intrigued but the whisky/jj combi is pretty great.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Wombat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,123
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I've built heaps of 27.5 x 45 and 50mm rims for people to run 3.8" tires on their Bucksaws. Plenty o' clearance.

    Never had anyone ask for a rim wider than 50mm for a 3.8" tire.
    This is something that confuses me. It seems that people are happy with 26" x 3.8" or 4.0" tyres on 65mm rims. But then run narrower rims for similar width tyres for 27.5". Is this because the profile of the tyre changes on the B fat rims?

    Thanks

    Tim

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hobine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    Never been on 27.5 fat. What do you think would be faster? Jumbo jim on a 26 x 65mm carbon or a 27.5 x 50 carbon + hodag setup?

    Im intrigued but the whisky/jj combi is pretty great.
    I previously ran 26x4.0 Jumbo Jimís mounted on Marge Lites on my Mutz and recently built up a set of the 27.5 65mm Nexties. So far Iíve run Hodags and Minions. The JJs most definitely feel the fastest.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hobine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    This is something that confuses me. It seems that people are happy with 26" x 3.8" or 4.0" tyres on 65mm rims. But then run narrower rims for similar width tyres for 27.5". Is this because the profile of the tyre changes on the B fat rims?

    Thanks

    Tim
    Iíve wondered the same. I think the profile of the 3.8 Minions is just about perfect on the 27.5x65mm rims.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    119
    That is great information, thank you. What bike to do you have them on? Salsa recommends a 29.133" (or 740mm) limit for overall diameter, but they are usually very conservative. 29.3125" is not very much larger from an overall diameter perspective.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by Stahr_Nut View Post
    27.5x3.8 Hodags on my 65mm Nextie Black Eagle rims measure 3.5" wide and 29.3125" in diameter at ~8psi and completely unweighted.
    That is great information, thank you. What bike to do you have them on? Salsa recommends a 29.133" (or 740mm) limit for overall diameter, but they are usually very conservative. 29.3125" is not very much larger from an overall diameter perspective.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    Iím guessing it will fit no problem. I have run Hodags on 27.5 by 50 mm rims and had plenty of room. Hodags measured about 3.5Ē wide on my rims.
    Great to hear, thanks! Where would you say is the closest point of contact on the bucksaw, the sides or the cross bridge?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobine View Post
    Iíve wondered the same. I think the profile of the 3.8 Minions is just about perfect on the 27.5x65mm rims.
    Are those 27.5 x 65mm Nextie Black Hawks on a Fox Plus fork?? This may change everything on the front end of my Bucksaw!! What fork is that exactly?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    357
    Quote Originally Posted by crank-87 View Post
    That is great information, thank you. What bike to do you have them on? Salsa recommends a 29.133" (or 740mm) limit for overall diameter, but they are usually very conservative. 29.3125" is not very much larger from an overall diameter perspective.
    I have them on a custom Curtlo steel hardtail with Paragon swinger rear dropouts.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hobine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by crank-87 View Post
    Are those 27.5 x 65mm Nextie Black Hawks on a Fox Plus fork?? This may change everything on the front end of my Bucksaw!! What fork is that exactly?
    Yes, 27.5 x 65mm Nextie Black Eagles. The fork is the now discontinued 27.5+ boost fork. I bought it in 2016 when they first came out. Iíll rebuild it indefinitely.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 83
    Last Post: 03-14-2017, 07:32 AM
  2. Suspension forks that'll fit a 3" on a 65mm rim?
    By OfficerFriendly in forum Surly
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-30-2014, 01:47 PM
  3. Skinny Carbon Rim Thread 65mm and under.
    By bdundee in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-13-2014, 02:06 PM
  4. Larry on a 65mm vs 82 mm rim
    By thecanoe in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-22-2013, 04:38 PM
  5. duro 26x3 on a 50 to 65mm rim diameter?
    By dRjOn in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-02-2012, 06:40 PM

Members who have read this thread: 74

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.