Broke a bead on my tire... am I doing it wrong?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Broke a bead on my tire... am I doing it wrong?

In my quest for winter traction, I found a pair of Vee Snowshoe 2XL tires for my fat bike. My rims are Mulefut 80's set up tubeless with Sun brand rim tape. Anyways, while inflating the front tire to seat the bead, one side blew off the rim... Not sure of the exact pressure, but my pump was under 20psi and it tends to read higher than reality. Now, the side that blew off definitely has a broken bead and won't stay on the rim. I really think that it broke when it blew off - both beads needed some tire lever assistance to get on the rim but now the side with the broken bead can be easily slipped on.

I've got the other tire on the same rim and holding air but stopped at under 10psi. I'm nervous to put more in now and if I push the sidewall back I can see that the bead isn't seated at all yet. I'm worried being new to fat bikes that I'm doing something wrong any may break this one also... I only used a pair of Park Tool levers and a floor pump to install the first tire. No air compressor or other funny business. It was tight going on but not insane. Is my rim too narrow? There is some bulge, but 5" tires on a 80mm rim don't look crazy to my eyes. Should I just suck it up and add pressure until this one seats?

All fat, all the time.
    Is the bead and rim dry or did you spray with soapy water? Can help to get the tire to seat in place easier if you spray it usually.
    Could also try a tube.

rth009
    May 2010
    Maybe the bead just broke due to a manufacturing defect? Was that a new tire? If its that tight, definitely use soapy water to get them to seat.

mtbr member
    Assuming the tire lever was unreinforced plastic, you should break the the lever before the bead. If a new tire, contact the seller as it sounds like a defect that warranty should cover.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Is the bead and rim dry or did you spray with soapy water? Can help to get the tire to seat in place easier if you spray it usually.
    Could also try a tube.
    All dry right now. I guess I'd assumed that the tubeless tape was slick enough. Will try getting it wet.

Quote Originally Posted by rth009 View Post
    Maybe the bead just broke due to a manufacturing defect? Was that a new tire? If its that tight, definitely use soapy water to get them to seat.
    No, picked them up used with 300 claimed miles. Both have plenty of tubeless residue so they had been mounted and it was tight going on the first time so I do think it broke when I was inflating it. Possibly prior damage that just hadn't fully broken yet?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    Assuming the tire lever was unreinforced plastic, you should break the the lever before the bead. If a new tire, contact the seller as it sounds like a defect that warranty should cover.
    Yup, the blue Park ones so strong but not reinforced. Bead is definitely broken in two places now. Is this a common issue with fat tires?

Elitest thrill junkie
    i donít think this is a common issue, as the majority of us have never experienced such and issue. Vee is a bottom-tier tire manufacturer. Making stuff that comes on $100 and cheaper bikes. They happen to make the 2xl tires.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    i donít think this is a common issue, as the majority of us have never experienced such and issue. Vee is a bottom-tier tire manufacturer. Making stuff that comes on $100 and cheaper bikes. They happen to make the 2xl tires.
    I'm definitely aware that Vee isn't a top brand and I did get these mainly because they are about the biggest tires available. But, I still didn't expect a bead to break. That's a complete different level. I mean, there's low end and there's potentially dangerous? I guess my main concern is that I did something that caused this. I'm mainly a road/gravel rider so these tires are more than twice as wide as anything else I have. I got the fat bike this past spring and didn't even mess with the tires aside from air pressure until recently.

mtbr member
    I had the same problem on a Nate a few months ago!!!
    I found that I had a dent on my rim and it was causing high stress point on my tire - bead totally stretched out on one side of tire... .. I do no get flats often. and I had to walk about 3 miles...

I also had the same problem with an old pair of ardents jut two weeks before!!

I have been riding for 30 years and never broke a bead while riding.. Twice this season!!
    Broke a bead on my tire...  am I doing it wrong?-img_8125.jpg
    Last edited by Weinerts; 12-11-2019 at 01:11 PM. Reason: addition info
    My bike is heavier than yours - it does not have Carbon or Titanium parts - I love it!

This place needs an enema
    20psi in a 2XL tire is a huge, huge amount.

I can't definitively say that it's enough to blow the tire off the rim and (in so doing) ruin the bead, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happened.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    20psi in a 2XL tire is a huge, huge amount.

I can't definitively say that it's enough to blow the tire off the rim and (in so doing) ruin the bead, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happened.
    20psi is also what the sidewall lists as a max pressure (which is why I mentioned it) but as I said I was definitely under 20 on the gauge and it reads high. I agree that's more than I'd ever ride with, but shouldn't the tire be fine at the pressures that the manufacturer lists it to?

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Well known issue on the first production run of 2XLs.