Break anything lately??- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,137

    Break anything lately??

    I snapped a SRAM power link the other day mashing up a hill....fun stuff, have a nice bruise on inside of leg from hitting it on the frame.

    Also had a cap go missing from my time atac pedal, without it, the pedal body can slide on the spindle. Luckily it held

  2. #2
    nvphatty
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    I snapped a SRAM power link the other day mashing up a hill....fun stuff, have a nice bruise on inside of leg from hitting it on the frame.

    Also had a cap go missing from my time atac pedal, without it, the pedal body can slide on the spindle. Luckily it held
    fat bike aside i have read reviews about SRAM chains breaking so maybe investigate it from that angle.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    7,171
    A few years ago I used to break SRAM chains regularly on my singlespeed.

    Either I have monster legs* or there was something wrong with the chains.



    *probably that
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

  4. #4
    nvphatty
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    Either I have monster legs* or there was something wrong with the chains.

    *probably that
    yea thats the ticket!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    80
    Honest-to-God, twenty years of riding and racing I have never broken a spoke (despite everyone not believing this statement).

    I have broken two spokes off at the nipple, on two different wheelsets, on both a front wheel and the rear wheel during the past two weeks.

    Things happen in threes.

  6. #6
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,137
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    fat bike aside i have read reviews about SRAM chains breaking so maybe investigate it from that angle.
    It was a sram link on a shimano chain....I stopped using sram chains after breaking two.

    I have some new kmc chains on the way, I believe they come with a missing link too.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,738
    I've curiously snapped my chain twice on my Pugs. Never any other bike.

    Sunday i was cleaning it and noticed the non-driveside crank arm was wayyyy loose. I beat the crap out of it though so thats understandable. It can only take so many drops haha

  8. #8
    nvphatty
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    I've curiously snapped my chain twice on my Pugs. Never any other bike.
    what's your setup?? offset, 1x9, dbl, single speed?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    391
    I broke a SRAM chain myself yesterday. I've heard the Shimano ones aren't any better so I'll put a SRAM back on.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    7,171
    Quote Originally Posted by western high plains View Post
    I broke a SRAM chain myself yesterday. I've heard the Shimano ones aren't any better so I'll put a SRAM back on.
    KMC are the answer.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,738
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    what's your setup?? offset, 1x9, dbl, single speed?
    Double, 9 speed rear. To be fair, both were on short steep uphills where i maybe should have shifted before starting the climb but instead just tried to muscle up in a harder gear. But i wasnt shifting under load or anything, just pedalling.

  12. #12
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,137
    I just grabbed 2 KMC 9 speed chains on amazon for under $31 shipped.

  13. #13
    nvphatty
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    KMC are the answer.
    really??

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    175
    Kmc produces (or produced) shimano chains

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tibor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    138
    i broke a truvativ Ahead stem (one bolt broke, it was a simple one with only two handlebar srews) last winter, resulting in a frontflip and a superman when the bike went somewhere else than me... but i kept my hands on the handlebar... since then and before i never broke something... when i fall its allways my fault

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.