Brake lever cover to help with cold finger?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Brake lever cover to help with cold finger?

Anybody use any kind of brake lever cover with the goal of alleviating cold fingers? When it isn't too cold, I've been using a pair of lobster gloves (when it gets colder, I have pogies), but last night, my forefingers got cold pretty quick due to the metal brake lever. Eventually my hand did warm up.

I know that there are silicon brake lever covers, was just curious if anyone here used them and if they helped or didn't matter. They seem like they are marketed to aid in slipproofing the levers, but just curious if they also aid in blocking the metal brake lever heat sinking.

This is what I'm talking about:

Brake lever cover to help with cold finger?-sticky-fingers-3.jpg

mtbr member
    If this is when you had the lobster gloves on, I think you're loosing more heat through sweat/wet fingers/air than by the brake levers. If you want to try it, go to your LBS, ask for some scrap road bar tape and electrical tape it around your brake levers. If it makes a difference, buy real covers. You could also plasti-dip the levers a couple times.

However, if you've got gloves on, I don't think doing anything with the levers will help. If you're going gloveless with pogies, it might help during the initial warm up, but that can easily be relieved with thin gloves when warming up.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

since 4/10/2009
    I've noticed cold brake levers sucking heat from my fingers in the past, but it's generally not an issue with the system I use now.

Below 20F, I use pogies. No problems after the initial warmup. I wear summer-weight long-finger gloves with pogies most of the time. From 20-30 or so, I wear a softshell glove (not cycling-specific - Seirus brand, several years old). The glove is generally warm enough that it's not an issue.

In wintertime, I also generally ride MUCH slower. On some winter rides, I don't use my brakes at all. If the snow has any real dept at all, this is generally the case. I'll use my brakes if it's just frozen dirt, or the snow is packed very well, but still not much. So I don't really spend time "covering" the levers with a finger in those cases.

I will say that after making pogies, I have found absolutely no need for bulky winter gloves on the bike. Before pogies, my hands would get cold even with layered ski gloves with a Gore-tex shell and wool or fleece liner glove.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I have not used what is mentioned above in the pic. I have used shrink tubing on aluminum levers and it helped. Cheap and easily available .
    Last edited by PJohnston; 01-26-2016 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Spelling

is buachail foighneach me
    Pogies. Unless you're riding a hybrid and feel a strong emotional connection to looking at the gear indicator windows to tell you how hard it is to pedal, pogies solve almost all hand related issues while riding in the winter.

If it's still an issue, I've used the Lizard Skinz lever sleeve before with good results.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Oh, Coldfinger

sluice box
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach View Post
    Pogies. Unless you're riding a hybrid and feel a strong emotional connection to looking at the gear indicator windows to tell you how hard it is to pedal, pogies solve almost all hand related issues while riding in the winter.

If it's still an issue, I've used the Lizard Skinz lever sleeve before with good results.
    This^^^^
    I also used Lizard Skinz in the past but after they got worn out and funky I never replaced them. If the pogies don't cut it I have a thin Ibex glove liner that I use. But this season in Girdwood I've been using these at Alyeska and riding instead of my Dogwood pogies.
    Brake lever cover to help with cold finger?-pip147-2-14a.jpg
    ptarmigan hardcore

Electrical tape maybe? I dunno, never have my fingers on the brake levers long enough to notice any cold. I have gloves on too.
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

blood in / blood out
    Plasti Dip works and comes in colors. Or switch out to carbon levers.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

Elitest thrill junkie
    I cut off the finger from an old glove and zip tie it over the lever, cheap and better insulating than some thin sheath.

And yes, having to keep my index finger on the brake and not next to my other fingers makes it colder.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I wrap them in foam and put heat-shrinkable tubing over the foam and then shrink it.
    I have also used bar tape.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Heated brake levers? hmmmmmm

Rocking on a Rocky
    That's a good idea. It could protect your brake levers from rough gloves.
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

Saving lives with knives.
    Came across this while looking for an old post. I had the same problem: I was using pogies and still my digits got cold. Switched to carbon handle bar and problem was gone. Lets here it for conduction (or lack of).
    Formerly known as iceaxe

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by frank daleview View Post
    Came across this while looking for an old post. I had the same problem: I was using pogies and still my digits got cold. Switched to carbon handle bar and problem was gone. Lets here it for conduction (or lack of).
    That does help dramatically, but for some of us, we still need more.

There are always a bunch of things to consider though:

Any pogie-leaks can really super-cool things fast. Not so much in the 20s, but getting down in single digits and below, it can make a big difference when there's a "jet" of negative temperature air coming in the entire time. Use foam or something similar to block the little gaps between your brake and shift levers and make a good tight seal.

Foam grips also don't transfer heat well, so foam grips on carbon bars help.

Moving your hands around, as dumb as it sounds, can help, as you constantly squeeze in the same spot and the outer portion of the grip will be a lot warmer from your palm, so if you don't need the brakes as much, move your hands outward a little to the warmer portion, it can help.

Then there's the insulated levers, or carbon levers, or both.

Adhesive boot heaters are a godsend too. I was able to ride yesterday and today with them and no pogies. It's not really cold enough for pogies anymore, but I'd have them scrunched up on the bar and have to open and roll them back several times to regulate the temperature. Usually not a big deal to me, but I was racing yesterday and didn't want to deal with the bulk, yet even in slightly positive temperatures I can still lose the feeling in my fingers pretty easily.

Windstopper fabric on the outside of your gloves. There are some non-insulated gloves that have this, so you retain your dexterity, but they do a good job of blocking wind at speed, which keeps your fingers warmer if not in the pogies.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Ebay has cheap $1 foam grips that come with lever covers.
    If this link doesn't work just search the keywords.

4pcs Bicycle Motorcycle Handle Bar Levers Foam Sponge Grip Cover Nonslip Case | eBay
    Totem KDS-D fatbike, Brompton M2L-X Ti, 6kg Dahon Dove, 1998 GT Forte Ti road bike

mtbr member
    Lizard Skins used to make a brake lever cover. I found a stash of them at my local shop and put a set on my Mukluk. They work great for keeping that cold lever from freezing my finger!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brake lever cover to help with cold finger?-img_20160110_102454419.jpg  

mtbr member
    Lots of great ideas in this thread.

+1 for the Lizard Skins. And since I only use 1 finger on the lever, I cut the Lizard Skin in half and made 2 pair from one set.

Master of Beat
    What we did from the motorcycle enudro world - go buy rescue tape. It's a thick, non sticky tape that's designed for 'rescue' fixes to your leaky pipes and other junk. Put a couple wraps on if you'd like, it's very thick and comes in a bunch of colors. It's a hardware store item