Boris X7 tubeless and seat change???- Mtbr.com
    MidnightBroomstickCowboy
    Jun 2008

Boris X7 tubeless and seat change???

Two questions to one thread. Who has converted the x7 stock rims to tubeless and what method? Also what seat did you replace this WTB aka garbage excuse for a cushion pad? It's terrible!
    "As a true patriotic American, I blindly follow what my elected leaders tell me." - Jack English

mtbr member
    The X9 has the same rims. I used the split tube method and so far so good. Use sill foam to build up the rim to keep the tire from moving around and it will fill up easily. Two loops of foam before laying down the tube worked for me. Using blue duct tape for rim strips.

My seat lasted one trip around the block before I switched it out with an sdg I had laying around.

Rocks belong
    I have the Speed V Sport SE on my Motobecane urban 29er hybrid bike... I actually find it rather comfortable for 'round town use. I've ridden 16-17 miles on it, no problem. (Of course, half of that was riding back from the brewery... )
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Also used cut tube 24x2.1 to 2.4. Leaves about a 1/2 inch over rim at outside. I didn't trim after install, looks factory. "sill" foam form home depot or lowes. 2 wraps and taped at end.
    I started the first wrap about 6" from valve hole. Second wrap same but on opposite side to seem balanced..lol
    Put on tires added stans and it aired up with a hand pump. I'm at 11.5 lbs air pressure. At least that is what my new digital air gauge says. Low pressure is hard to get an accurate read. The tires can be squeezed by hand slightly. Trying to memorize that feel for later on the trail.
    I liked stock wtb seat. Had a thomson post on hand.

mtbr member
    Question - Is the purpose of the foam strips solely to help seat the bead? Or does it serve another purpose?

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisconsinite762 View Post
    Question - Is the purpose of the foam strips solely to help seat the bead? Or does it serve another purpose?
    When I used foam, it was to aid in seating the tire and to create a channel of sorts that the bead would sit in. It helps to lock the bead in place while at low pressure and in extreme cold, and helps prevent burping.

MidnightBroomstickCowboy
    Jun 2008
    what valves are necessary for the tubeless? Shrader or Presta and size? Any tricks in keeping them sealed?
    "As a true patriotic American, I blindly follow what my elected leaders tell me." - Jack English

mtbr member
    I used the presta that were in the split tubes i cut. Q-tubes with removable cores. I have read some people somehow carefully cut out the existing valves and use stans tubeless stems 44mm long.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Some, but not all people have good luck with the gorilla tape method. Everyone has good luck with the split tube method. See my thread here. Also, whether gorilla tape or split tube, use Schrader valves. I have gorilla tape and presta valves on my 29er. The valve cores tend to come out when I am trying to loosen the nut to fill the tires I will be converting that bike to split tube.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I replaced the WTB sport with a Volt (hand me down from my hubby's 5010; he went to a SDGI Fly ... Today he noted that the SDGI didn't have the lip on the back of the seat the WTB Volt had, which made dropping back behind the seat on his freeride runs easier and sweeter...)

Downcountry AF
    SDG Bel Air saddle. best cheap saddle I've found so far

Split tube tubeless setup. reflective tape in color of your choice, rim strip in color of your choice, one layer of foam then split tube. sealed up immediately. here is my first time doing a tubeless fat tire.
    Attachment 925435Attachment 925436Attachment 925437Attachment 925438Attachment 925434
    at night it looks like it glows
    Attachment 925439

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Any updates after three weeks? I'm running slime in my stock tubes right now but this interests me a lot.
    2013 Trek Rumblefish
    2015 Motobecane Boris X5