Boris report.... - Page 5- Mtbr.com
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Results 801 to 1,000 of 3469
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody01 View Post
    Well, I just pulled the trigger on a Bluto. Guess I will be the first one to convert one of these. We'll see how it goes. Got it from Merlin for $460 shipped.
    Let us know weight on that thing before you mount it!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lennymatuszewski View Post
    Love my Boris X5 so far. Swapped out the tires for Floaters (came with Vee Big Adventures which were pretty terrible). Going to swap out the brakes over the summer. First fat bike I've ever had and I'll never go without one again!
    Yeah, those stock tires were a pretty bizarre tire choice for this bike. Had I not had other plans, I could've lived with most of the OE spec for the X5, but those Big Adventures had to go. The Devist8er ULs along with smaller Q tubes and losing the rubber liners saved me 2lbs, 3oz between both wheels. That's pretty significant at the wheels.

I've swapped a lot of other stuff as well but didn't have the scale at the ready when I began. I'm gonna have to borrow a bike scale to see how "Fat" it is at this point. Not counting grams by no means, but just curious where it ended up sitting. I will say that climbing hills last weekend was not nearly the chore I expected it to be.

Here is the lookout @ Ranger Summit in Bragg Creek, Alberta.
    Boris report....-image.jpg

My list of "upgrades" is getting away from me at this point... I was able to sell all the take off parts though, except for the Adventurous Tires, so I don't feel too guilty.

At this point I'm riding with
    -clarks skeletal brakes:180mm front, 160 rear
    -raceface bar/stem
    -token cartridge headset/spacers
    -shimano deore clipless
    -rear SLX shadow dérailleur/deore shifter
    -ODI grips
    -Origin8 Devist8ers/Qtube 2.4s
    -bolt-on front skewer
    -AEST post clamp

Some of these are not exactly upgrades, but proven gear that I've had good luck with before.

Still planning for
    -lefty fork, plus newly laced lefty hub to surly HRD rim
    -dropper post (cheapie KS eTen works fine)
    -gold bars for silly aesthetic reasons

Not sure what's left at this point. Lol. But it's fun, and that's the whole point.
    2014 Motobecane Boris (Lefty Max)
    2013 Santa Cruz Heckler
    2007 Jamis Dragon

Boris Fat on Facebook

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by saliva2002 View Post
    jenson USA has carbon forks for $349 weighing in at 2 pounds. Does anyone know the fork weight of the boris forks and is it worth $350 for whatever weight difference it is or will it not be noticed because the bike is such a tank?
    Stock fork from an XL Boris X7 is 1.506 Kg / 3 lbs 5 oz. (used a kitchen scale, pretty sure it's close but really not sure how accurate it is)
    ..now just tinker with our bikes and feed the cats. - oldbear52

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Well I may have ordered the Bluto for nothing. Took the bike into the LBS and he says the Cane Creek parts may not fit. I think Cane Creek might have misinformed some people on the adapters. I'll find out Monday. I maybe selling a Bluto or trying to find a bike it will mate to.

mtbr member
    Hope it works out for ya. I'm no expert but with all the different headsets and adapters out there it's hard to imagine this to be impossible.

mtbr member
    Isn't the boris a straight 1 1/8 and the bluto a tapered? Is so then yes your sol. I remener I found a tapered fork once when I first started mtb and couldn't find any adapters for it. You can adapt the 1.5 to 1 1/8 but but not the other way. Unless something else has been invented since then.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cman8 View Post
    Isn't the boris a straight 1 1/8 and the bluto a tapered? Is so then yes your sol. I remener I found a tapered fork once when I first started mtb and couldn't find any adapters for it. You can adapt the 1.5 to 1 1/8 but but not the other way. Unless something else has been invented since then.
    Cane Creek ha said their adapters would work. Of course the Bluto and stock head tube are different but I was counting on the adapters to make up for it.

mtbr member

Re: Boris report....

Can you measure the ID of the headtube? I think it might be 44mm. If so I think this might make it work

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id338.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    That looks like cane creeks same specs. Thanks. I will find out Monday when my LBS calls Cane Creek.

mtbr member
    Rwc makes excellent products. But so does cc. Love em both.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Tire and Tube Weights

New tubes and tires will save about 0.8 lb per wheel. Going from V8 72tpi and stock tube to H-Bille 120tpi and Q tube. Rear wheel shown for info only.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boris report....-vee-8-72tpi.jpg  

Boris report....-h-billie-120-tpi.jpg  

Boris report....-stock-tube.jpg  

Boris report....-q-tube.jpg  

Boris report....-rear-wheel.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    That looks like cane creeks same specs. Thanks. I will find out Monday when my LBS calls Cane Creek.
    Did the LBS order the headset already?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I ordered the Bluto this morning and no Cane Creek parts have been ordered yet. I was going to let him do that after looking the bike over and seeing what he thought. He will call them on Monday when they open.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I'm still debating tubeless but also have a pair of Q-tubes to put in if I decide to stick with tubes. I'm a little worried about flatting with the Q-tubes if I take out that 50lb rubber strip. Have you had any issues?

mtbr member

Smile First ride report

I finally got out today for the inaugural ride on my new 17" Boris X7. Temps were around 32F with ~2 inches of fresh snow. I rode 10.1 miles in 2.5 hours at Willowdale State Forest in Ipswich, Massachusetts. Strava results here.

My impressions/thoughts:

The bike is slow and clunky... like a defensive lineman returning a fumble for a TD. But like that lineman, it's determined and nearly unstoppable - just slow and lumbering. Honestly, my average speed was roughly walking speed.

Boris report....-nfc-packers-bears-014.jpg
    (david stluka photography)

It's nice that I was out riding in conditions that would previously kept me indoors. But riding in the snow was a challenge. Riding in the tire rut created by previous riders was awkward and jerky - but pushing through new snow was tough too. I don't know what the happy medium is...

You can see the "track" in the picture below:

Boris report....-1128141127b.jpg

But I also found virgin sections like this one:

Boris report....-1128141245.jpg

I'm running the stock Vee 8 tires at about 11 psi. The tires are like velcro for snow. The tread pattern picks up the snow and negates any traction. I spun out on even the shallowest climbs - especially when the tires hit roots under the snow. I'll likely turn the rear tire around in an attempt to improve traction.

The bike does roll over obstacles well. I cleaned sections I've struggled with in the past. That could be a combination of the fat, squishy tires and also an effect of the snow.

The bike picks up mud like no bike I've ever had before. What a mess.

Boris report....-1128141420.jpg

Boris report....-1128141420b.jpg

Boris report....-1128141420c.jpg

Ultimately, I can't quite yet decide if I like it or not. I'll need some more time on it. It is remarkable to be out riding on a day I wouldn't normally ride. Ultimately ANY ride is better than NO ride. And look! I'm smiling in the picture below.

Boris report....-1128141245b.jpg

And now for this post to take a sharp turn to crazy-town...

Crazy Town....

Never seen anything like this....

I came across a HEART sitting in the trail. Yes. That kind of heart. Bloody. Cleanly cut. Without much blood spilled around it. Clearly other tire tracks around it. I stopped and stood there for about ten minutes debating calling the cops. My mind was racing with the worst scenarios...

I decided not to simply based on the fact that I was freezing and couldn't stand there for 1-2 hours until a ranger or officer showed up. I was drenched in sweat. Shivering. Hungry. Very cold.

We can debate whether I did the right thing or not. I'm still agonizing about it. Pics below. Please - Oh please, someone tell me that's definitely not a human heart! (glove for size reference)

Boris report....-1128141347a.jpg

Boris report....-1128141347b.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I ordered the Bluto this morning and no Cane Creek parts have been ordered yet. I was going to let him do that after looking the bike over and seeing what he thought. He will call them on Monday when they open.
    When you first asked if they could do it, did you mention the Boris had a straight steerer tube and the Bluto was tapered?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I told him adapters were available to accomplish the job. I didn't go into detail on that till today with him. They may fit but he just wants to confirm before any ordering or work gets started which I can understand. I doubt he has seen many cases like this. I'm sure most LBSs see bikes as suspended or rigid. This is kind of unchartered territory for an LBS in a town our size.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Why don't you just do this yourself instead of paying extra for an lbs to waste time and make guesses? There's already info and part numbers in this thread for what you need

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I don't want to do it. I'd rather let a bike mechanic do it. Some things I do myself, others I won't.

mtbr member
    connolm that's pretty bad ass putting your glove right up in that I need the WOWZERS smiley.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lennymatuszewski View Post
    I'm still debating tubeless but also have a pair of Q-tubes to put in if I decide to stick with tubes. I'm a little worried about flatting with the Q-tubes if I take out that 50lb rubber strip. Have you had any issues?
    Not so far. I've run down to about 6psi (last ride in snow) and haven't had any flats yet. I'm also planning tubeless, but I'll wait till my new front lefty wheel is in place first.

So far so good. But YMMV.
    2013 Santa Cruz Heckler
    2007 Jamis Dragon

Boris Fat on Facebook

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    any shot of running On One Floaters and stock X9 boris wheels tubeless without the half tube insert or whatever work around ? or would I need different wheels? I won't mess with it unless its a hassle free solution......what size Qtubes are you guys running? are they less durable than stock? the bike is a pig anyway, LOL
    Epic Flash Boris F65X + road bikes

mtbr member
    I would say if it's the size of a glove it's not human. Unless You Have Small gloves

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I think the heart is about the size of a fist? It's been a while since I was in college

mtbr member
    Yeah. A human heart is about the size of an average fist. That heart looks like a huge one.

mtbr member
    Looks like a deer heart to me, have field dressed many dear, thats my guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by connolm View Post
    I finally got out today for the inaugural ride on my new 17" Boris X7. Temps were around 32F with ~2 inches of fresh snow. I rode 10.1 miles in 2.5 hours at Willowdale State Forest in Ipswich, Massachusetts. Strava results here.

My impressions/thoughts:

The bike is slow and clunky... like a defensive lineman returning a fumble for a TD. But like that lineman, it's determined and nearly unstoppable - just slow and lumbering. Honestly, my average speed was roughly walking speed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NFC-Packers-Bears-014.jpg 
Views:	550 
Size:	237.2 KB 
ID:	942513
    (david stluka photography)

It's nice that I was out riding in conditions that would previously kept me indoors. But riding in the snow was a challenge. Riding in the tire rut created by previous riders was awkward and jerky - but pushing through new snow was tough too. I don't know what the happy medium is...

You can see the "track" in the picture below:

Name:	1128141127b.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	156.3 KB 
ID:	942516

But I also found virgin sections like this one:

Name:	1128141245.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	169.3 KB 
ID:	942517

I'm running the stock Vee 8 tires at about 11 psi. The tires are like velcro for snow. The tread pattern picks up the snow and negates any traction. I spun out on even the shallowest climbs - especially when the tires hit roots under the snow. I'll likely turn the rear tire around in an attempt to improve traction.

The bike does roll over obstacles well. I cleaned sections I've struggled with in the past. That could be a combination of the fat, squishy tires and also an effect of the snow.

The bike picks up mud like no bike I've ever had before. What a mess.

Name:	1128141420.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	184.3 KB 
ID:	942520

Name:	1128141420b.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	204.7 KB 
ID:	942521

Name:	1128141420c.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	231.9 KB 
ID:	942522

Ultimately, I can't quite yet decide if I like it or not. I'll need some more time on it. It is remarkable to be out riding on a day I wouldn't normally ride. Ultimately ANY ride is better than NO ride. And look! I'm smiling in the picture below.

Name:	1128141245b.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	942523

And now for this post to take a sharp turn to crazy-town...

Crazy Town....

Never seen anything like this....

I came across a HEART sitting in the trail. Yes. That kind of heart. Bloody. Cleanly cut. Without much blood spilled around it. Clearly other tire tracks around it. I stopped and stood there for about ten minutes debating calling the cops. My mind was racing with the worst scenarios...

I decided not to simply based on the fact that I was freezing and couldn't stand there for 1-2 hours until a ranger or officer showed up. I was drenched in sweat. Shivering. Hungry. Very cold.

We can debate whether I did the right thing or not. I'm still agonizing about it. Pics below. Please - Oh please, someone tell me that's definitely not a human heart! (glove for size reference)

Name:	1128141347a.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	942524

Name:	1128141347b.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	942525

mtbr member

Boris report....

Black On-One floaters at Planet X USA for 54.99 shipped. They're in stock for now. At this price, I thought I'd try 'em. I picked up a set for less than the cost of one Nate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The White Jeff W
    My Boris X9 arrived yesterday and I thought Id share my initial impressions. Shipping time from Texas to PA was 5 days, including Thanksgiving. The box was perfect and there was no damage to the bike or parts.

Out of the box it weighs around 37 lbs. The bike, to me, fits smaller than the geometry would indicate. I have 2 other bikes with the same ETT as the Boris but it feels a little smaller with the same 70mm stem as the others. Im glad I went with the XL.

Assembly went pretty smooth. I had a different bar & stem to put on it so I moved everything over from the stock bar. No issues. The front brake caliper was loose and the front brake cable wasnt attached to the lever. It was inside the fork steer tube. I have BB7's on another bike so setting them up was pretty straightforward. Both ends needed centered and pads adjusted for clearance and proper lever pull. The rotors are slightly out of true and kiss the pads as they spin but that should clear up after they wear in a bit.

Both derailleurs were roughed in but needed tuning to get them shifting properly without rubbing. Again, I'm pretty familiar with the adjustments on SRAM derailleurs so it wasnt a problem. Both ends now shift crisply without issue.

The ride - I aired both VEE Mission tires to 8 PSI & went for a spin around the neighborhood. The self steer I read about was apparent immediately. Its awful. It feels like the headtube is straight up & down & the tire is directly under the bar. Id almost call it dangerous as the handling is pretty sketchy. When you turn the bar the tire pulls you in that direction and you have to fight it to keep it from dragging you into a ditch. Ive already ordered replacements (H Billies) and plan to convert to tubeless so hopefully this will cure it. Also, the spoke tension seemed to be very low. Ill ride it a few times then retrue & tension the wheels.

Trail ride - conditions - temp in the mid 30's. Trails were mostly dry and frozen hard with a few areas starting to thaw that were wet & muddy on top. Overall the ride went OK. The self steer from the tires is my only complaint. Grip was immense, though. I found myself throwing the bike hard into corners and it just stuck. Climbing steep hills was no problem. The rear tire dug in and gave me all the traction I needed, even in mud. I found that when I was going faster and steering the bike with hips & body english the self steer wasnt as bad and I felt a little more confident. Even caught a little air a couple times. After riding a rigid bike all summer the cush from the big tires was really nice. They do a great job of damping trail chatter. The rear hub is very quiet, also a nice change from the Sun Ringle & Hope hubs I have on my other bikes. Climbing longer hills the weight of the bike was apparent. My legs were junk today anyways but I could really feel the difference climbing.

Overall Im happy with the bike. There's room for improvement but for the price it seems like good value for the money.

Boris report....-20141129_101017-800x600-.jpg
    Last edited by jeffw-13; 11-29-2014 at 12:48 PM.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris sky View Post
    Black On-One floaters at Planet X USA for 54.99 shipped. They're in stock for now. At this price, I thought I'd try 'em. I picked up a set for less than the cost of one Nate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Damn it. I just bought some nates. What to do maybe also buy the floaters to keep in case I need them?

mtbr member

Boris report....

I now have a spare floater hanging on the wall.

Sent from magic wish granting phone

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update jeffw-13. Its good to hear what people think of the bike. I cant waint to ride mine. I know its not going to be like my typical mountain bike rides but also know it wqill be fun just to get out all year long. It seems like more and more trails are becoming fat friendly here in UT so thats exciting also.

mtbr member

Boris report....

Cman8- If you have an experience like mine I don't think you will be disappointed! I sold my FS salsa because I had more fun on the boris..... Only recently have I been able to ride snow.... Neat to extend the season!

mtbr member
    I was reading on another thread some people trashing these BD Motobecanes. To me they look great. add a few better components and you still have a sub 1300 bike that rivals all the others ive looked at. Thats my plan at least. ride it, if I like it upgrade it and keep it.

mtbr member

Boris report....

There are plus and minus to all designs/bikes. Is it perfect? Nope. Is it a well designed capable machine? Yup. I looked at it like this, it's the same frame as a 9zero7/khs 4 season. (My x9 has khs stamps on the seat post and stem) for considerably less cost.
    Do I dream of other bikes? Yep. Am I likely to get said bikes? Nope because said dream bikes cost more than a few vehicles I own!
    I enjoy riding my current bike more than any other bike I've ridden. It makes me smile and heck, if I can smile while torturing myself, bonus!
    Enjoy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcksqrl View Post
    if I can smile while torturing myself, bonus!
    That there my friend is the entire truth. people just need to relax and enjoy their rides. I love seeing people look at some of ,my bikes and act like I suck to be on such bikes and likewise see some others like the boris and act like why am I riding that. Just enjoy.

But enough topic derailment. have you upgraded anything on your bike yet other than tires? Did you go tubeless?

mtbr member

Boris report....

Jones bars, seat/pedals, 40t rear cog and loaded it with packs so I don't have to carry one on my back.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

I was reading on another thread some people trashing these BD Motobecanes. To me they look great. add a few better components and you still have a sub 1300 bike that rivals all the others ive looked at. Thats my plan at least. ride it, if I like it upgrade it and keep it.
    How can you bash a 600 dollar fat bike that you can actually ride? Anything else cheaper is at Walmart. The only people I see bashing bikes direct bikes are people who are obviously trying to validate their own brand name purchase.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    How can you bash a 600 dollar fat bike that you can actually ride? Anything else cheaper is at Walmart. The only people I see bashing bikes direct bikes are people who are obviously trying to validate their own brand name purchase.
    True. Thats my guess also. I cant see how they can call it a walmart bike especially as rcksqrl stated, his bike was actually stamped with KHS

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The only people I see bashing bikes direct bikes are people who are obviously trying to validate their own brand name purchase.
    Easy man, it cuts both ways. Don't think bashing other guys choice is cool either. Not everyone who buys another brand hates on BD or is compensating .

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm not bashing anyone. I'm just saying that the only people I've seen bashing a bd bike owns a brand name fat bike. I've never met anyone who owns a bd bike or another smaller brand bash them. I'm not saying anything about people's purchase choices I'm just stating what I've seen. I didn't say every person who owns a brand name bike has to justify their purchase.

mtbr member
    I dont think he means it like bashing them for their bikes. I think its more that they might be pissed that someone bought a BD bike for 600 bucks and they buy one thats 2400 but its pretty comparable. I definitely dont bash bikes, any bike you ride is a good bike as long as you ride it, not to mention to each their own, we all work and make our coin so whos to say what we spend our money on. thats what gets on my nerves.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yeah exactly. I don't care what people ride or what they bash for that matter, but I've seen way too many people, especially customers (not employees) at the lbs when I bring mine in who tell me the frame is gonna turn to dust or the welds are made of bubblegum, without even looking at it.

mtbr member
    Yeah exactly. I don't care what people ride or what they bash for that matter, but I've seen way too many people, especially customers (not employees) at the lbs when I bring mine in who tell me the frame is gonna turn to dust or the welds are made of bubblegum, without even looking at it.
    hahaha. I had this exact thing. My buddy whom I trust and value is my bike mechanic and when I told him I was getting a Motobecane he was like "noooooooo, your welds are gonna break in a week". Which then he tried to sell me on a norco which I liked but not as much as the boris. I looked up the warranty and peoples experiences and I was like WTF? Im getting what I want and like. so now hell have to work on my Boris hahaha which will make him disappointed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm not bashing anyone. I'm just saying that the only people I've seen bashing a bd bike owns a brand name fat bike. I've never met anyone who owns a bd bike or another smaller brand bash them. I'm not saying anything about people's purchase choices I'm just stating what I've seen. I didn't say every person who owns a brand name bike has to justify their purchase.
    OK fair enough and I know where you're coming from. Lotta happy people riding BD bikes for a lot of different reasons. Same goes for other brands. Just trying to keep it positive that's all.

mtbr member

Houston, we have a problem...

Took my 17" Boris X7 out on Friday for a 10 mile ride. Today, getting the ride together for another ride, I noticed the rear QR axle is bent.

It was not bent prior to the ride on Friday. I know. I checked. I took it out, weighed it, and photographed it.

It somehow bent on the its first ride. Pics follow. Hopefully you can see it in the following photos. Why would it bend like this?

Boris report....-bent1.jpg

Boris report....-bent2.jpg

Boris report....-bent3.jpg

mtbr member
    Funny - I have a carbon 30.9 seatpost in my parts bin ready to go too!

Look up "beer can shim" and tell me if you believe it. (I'm on the fence.) Supposedly you can use a sliver of beer can to shim up the post.
    Tried this tonight, took a few versions but it seems that a Sleeman's tall can cut down the side with top and bottom removed does the trick. That said haven't ridden it yet, just tried to test it (wrestle the crap out of it) but it didn't budge.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Took my 17" Boris X7 out on Friday for a 10 mile ride. Today, getting the ride together for another ride, I noticed the rear QR axle is bent.

It was not bent prior to the ride on Friday. I know. I checked. I took it out, weighed it, and photographed it.

It somehow bent on the its first ride. Pics follow. Hopefully you can see it in the following photos. Why would it bend like this?

Name:	bent1.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	942778

Name:	bent2.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	942777

Name:	bent3.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	942779
    Probably bent from the force.. Not a big deal I don't think any of mine are completely straight

mtbr member
    Not a big deal I don't think any of mine are completely straight
    + 1 The QR "needle" or axle, works in tension, so it will straighten itself as you close it.

mtbr member
    Has anyone done any hub related service? When I've had the wheels off and felt the spin of the hub I can feel more bumpy friction than I'd expect, are these user serviceable?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Of course they are. You just need a cone wrench. But the axle generally doesn't spin all that smooth, the real test is when you mount it and spin it. If the hub isn't moving side to side on the axle, and when it spins it doesn't abruptly stop.. You want it to spin to a stop and then slightly roll the other direction. If it just stops dead, it's too tight. Or the brake is rubbing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quick ride last night. I am really surprised how well this beast handles! Climbs like a goat and sticks in the corners.

Boris report....-1417370118786.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Has anyone upgraded their Boris X5 to 10 speed? I'm assuming a 10sp cassette will fit the current hub, so all I'd need is a derailleur, cassette, and shifter?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yeah just derailleur and shifter.. And chain. And cassette obviously.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Cool, thanks. Do Shimano and SRAM parts play nice together? I'd love to swap to XT shifters

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I started mixing and matching cassettes and using the miche 1st position 13 and 15t cogs, that way I can have a 40t first gear without giving up a 13 or 15t and having a hop between 13 and 17. I don't ride pavement so dumping the 11 and 13t works out well for me, and costs significantly less than upgrading the whole drivetrain.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    You definitely can't mix 9 speed sram and shimano shifters and derailleurs. I'm not sure about 10 speed but I'm assuming they don't mix either.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I've got a Boris X5 coming which has a X7 (10 sp) FD on it, so I was thinking of just changing out the RD, cassette, chain and shifters

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Why do you want to go to 10 speed?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Not sure if I will want to yet, but I've already got the upgrade bug. Guess I need to try out what I get before I go upgrading a bunch of stuff

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm asking because there are cheaper alternatives to dumping your entire drivetrain if you want to achieve lower gearing. First I did a 32t up front, then I mixed a cassette and a 38t and some miche gears to have an even ratio 15 to 38 cassette.. On my 8 speed fs, I did a 13 to 36 by mixing a spare 9 speed cassette and miche gears. I prefer 8 and 9 speed cause the parts are cheaper. I have an x5, and I'd dump money into tires, a better crankset, and wheelset way before the drivetrain unless it broke of course. But if you want lower gears there's cheaper alternatives.. If it's just bling, there's other weak links that should be addressed first.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks for the advice. I've got better tires coming already (Nate and BFL), so I'll give it some time before I decide what else to upgrade. I'm liking the looks of a Carver CF fork as an upgrade, along with wheels

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm looking at carbon forks for weight, but i think I want a bluto. I can't decide lol

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I've read that Cane Creek makes a headset to adapt straight head tubes for the Bluto but have not seen any on the Boris. Lot's of BD threads, did I miss it?

The lefty conversion looks awesome but more involved than going Bluto assuming it clears the downtube etc.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    In this thread someone posted the part numbers. I haven't seen a Boris with a bluto though I don't think.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The trail that everyone rides where I live is littered with roots, but when I demoed a Fatboy around it, I didn't feel the need for suspension. The tires let me take the worst lines possible and just ride over everything

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtale View Post
    I've read that Cane Creek makes a headset to adapt straight head tubes for the Bluto but have not seen any on the Boris. Lot's of BD threads, did I miss it?

The lefty conversion looks awesome but more involved than going Bluto assuming it clears the downtube etc.
    I will have the first one if it can be done. I've got a Bluto on the way and LBS is confirming in the morning if the Cane Creek parts will work.

The White Jeff W
    On One sells a carbon fatbike fork with non-tapered steertube for $250. Note the 55mm offset. On-One Carbon Fatty Fork | On - One

The lower headset to use tapered fork on a Boris is the EC44/40 lower assembly. The upper shouldnt need to be changed.

After riding a rigid 29er all summer the fat tires are all the suspension I need. Cant imagine adding the weight of a suspension fork to a 37 lb bike. For ~ half the price of the Bluto you could get a carbon rigid fork and Schwalbe Jumbo Jim tires (when they're available) & drop 5 pounds off the bike.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    What's the difference in weight from the chromo fork and bluto?

The White Jeff W
    Chromo fork - 1506 g / 3 lbs 5 oz (credit to greg-o for that info)

Bluto - 1796 g 3.96lb
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Oh.. Well at least the weight gain in marginal. I'm undecided which route to go. I was hoping there would be more suspension options by now actually

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Chromo fork - 1506 g / 3 lbs 5 oz (credit to greg-o for that info)

Bluto - 1796 g 3.96lb
    Wow, that is incredible. I thought the difference in weight would have to be much more. Maybe a carbon fork is a good upgrade. Does anyone know how much of those weighs?

Edit: Nevermind, 652 grams according to On One for theirs.

mtbr member
    Cody01 - I'm anxious to hear if the taper tube of the Bluto will fit the Boris headtube with a special headset. Let us know as soon as you know.

mtbr member
    4 of us got out for a good snow ride on Saturday. The two bikes on the right are Boris'. Far right is stock except for bud and nate tires. The Boris on the left has the same tires plus a carver carbon fork, carbon bars and seat post. We had a great ride. :-)Boris report....-20141129_104349.jpg
    DaveH
    '15 Salsa Horsethief
    '13 9:ZERO:7
    '13 Trek Domane
    '16 Salsa Fargo

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Looks like fun I can't wait to have some snow here

mtbr member

Finally got to building it. This thing is a pig. But I'm so excited to ride it

mtbr member

Boris report....

As BPR say.... Dead last doesn't mean loser! I'm almost always the last in any group I ride with, could be the weight of the bike , (definately contributes) but my level of or lack of fitness contributes! Regardless I'm having more fun than most!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Hey, cman8. What kind of seat do you have on that "pig", and how do you like it?

mtbr member
    Thats just the stock seat. I ordered a new one to see how I like it but if not ill just throw on a prologo. I like those seats a lot and have them on a few of my bikes

mtbr member

Riding her into work tomorrow. plan is to hopefully ride in 2-3 times a week in the winter to stay in somewhat shape and also do some rides after work probably.

This is what Im upgrading and some are already on order:

Seat
    Pedals
    Brakes
    Crank
    Tires

Maybe the shifters too but well see down the line as I dont mind X5 and X7 for what im using it as.

mtbr member

Boris report....

That matte black is nice!

mtbr member
    That matte black is nice!

Yeah I wanted the ocean blue, but I also like this matte black. Looks nice and oh so many schemes you can make.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Boris X9 in Cave Creek, AZ

Here's my new ride. I can't believe how smooth this thing rides, especially on these rocky Arizona trails. No additional suspension needed.

Boris report....-2014-11-29-12.43.23.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Thats just the stock seat. I ordered a new one to see how I like it but if not ill just throw on a prologo. I like those seats a lot and have them on a few of my bikes
    Oh, ok. By the picture it looks like a larger seat than stock. I'll take a look at the prologo's. Thanks.

mtbr member
    what type of seat do you like riding?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    what type of seat do you like riding?
    Haven't tried any other seats than the X9 stock. Thinking about trying one with a larger saddle. Maybe this:

Amazon.com : Planet Bike Men's A.R.S. Anatomic Relief Bicycle Saddle (Black/Black) : Bike Saddles And Seats : Sports & Outdoors

or this:

Amazon.com : Selle Royal Respiro Relaxed Cool Xsenium Bicycle Saddle, Black : Bike Saddles And Seats : Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Saddles are a really personal thing. It all depends on your sit bones as well as what riding you do. I would suggest go to a LBS and ask to try some saddles out. getting the correct saddle is crucial and will make or break your ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by miataeric1 View Post
    Cool, thanks. Do Shimano and SRAM parts play nice together? I'd love to swap to XT shifters
    ask a good mechanic. I have a bike that has sram and shimano stuff from the factory(specialized epic xtr rear derailier, sram crankset and front derailier, sox shifters) as well as a road bike with a campy group but shimano 11 speed cassette

mtbr member
    Cman8 - keep us posted on what crank you upgrade to when the time comes. I'd like to upgrade as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Saddles are a really personal thing. It all depends on your sit bones as well as what riding you do. I would suggest go to a LBS and ask to try some saddles out. getting the correct saddle is crucial and will make or break your ride.

go to a big specialized store. love them or hate them they have some of the best saddles out there. get your sit bones measured and get the lowest amount of padding you can stand so you don't sink into the saddle.
    Last edited by donn12; 12-01-2014 at 03:49 PM.

mtbr member
    The speed v that came on my x7 is much bigger than my other speed v. I thought they would ride the same, but I didn't care for the stock saddle. I have found through trial and error that heavily padded seats are only comfortable for a very short time. I like my after market speed v, smp trk, and mtb volt. Those have performed the best for "me" on every bike I've used them on.

mtbr member

Cman8 - keep us posted on what crank you upgrade to when the time comes. I'd like to upgrade as well.
    I went with x9 cranks for versatility and have had zero issues. Love em.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris sky View Post
    I went with x9 cranks for versatility and have had zero issues. Love em.
    Thats what im thinking. either X9 cranks set up 1x or I have also like the Race Face Cranks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Quote Originally Posted by donn12 View Post
    ask a good mechanic. I have a bike that has sram and shimano stuff from the factory(specialized epic xtr rear derailier, sram crankset and front derailier, sox shifters) as well as a road bike with a campy group but shimano 11 speed cassette
    Do to mean shimano slx shifters? You can mix cassettes and chainrings, but derailleurs and shifters won't work.

mtbr member
    Has anyone seen or heard if the Bluto equipped Boris X9s will be shipping soon?

I've checked the usual suspects for info, but have seen nothing myself. I'm assuming that they aren't off the boat yet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Did you order one? When I ordered my boris they emailed me plenty of updates. You could always call them too.

mtbr member
    My wife ordered one for me, so of course I'm not getting any of the email updates. She sent me the tracking number, which doesn't do much good (until it ships that is).

Just was a curiosity, I figured I was in the same boat as anyone else who'd ordered one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    All parts for Bluto ordered today. Should be a finished product in a week I suppose.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Anyone put on an On-one carbon fork on their Boris X with a 1 1'8" fork. Looking at picking one up, but unsure of the disc brake position. Just don't understand whether or not the stock brakes will fit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Can you post a pic? Should fit fine. Might need an adapter?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpyride View Post
    Anyone put on an On-one carbon fork on their Boris X with a 1 1'8" fork. Looking at picking one up, but unsure of the disc brake position. Just don't understand whether or not the stock brakes will fit.
    Just spoke with Planet X in Portland. Says it should work fine. The new stock will not be in for a while, so I'll check back later.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by WSUPolar View Post
    Has anyone seen or heard if the Bluto equipped Boris X9s will be shipping soon?

I've checked the usual suspects for info, but have seen nothing myself. I'm assuming that they aren't off the boat yet.
    I ordered one too and got a tracking number about 2 weeks ago - nothin' doin'. When ordering, it said they'll ship between 11/25 and 12/10. I'm sure anxious though, hopefully sooner than later!

mtbr member
    I just wanted to pass on some info. I bought a Bud and Lou and they appear to fit fine on my Boris. They may need to stretch a bit but I think I have just under a quarter of an inch before I hit the chain and a little more before I hit the chainstay or seatstay on the non drive side. YMMV! (I measured the crap out of mine so I kinda thought it'd fit)

I'm posting this because the consensus seems to be that it is unlikely that the Lou can fit on the Boris. Anyway, here is a data point in favor of them fitting. Who knows, they might rub when riding. But I won't know until finals are over.

Some details about the fitment:
    Large boris X9 Gen 1 (with the adjustable rear dropouts) basically stock
    Bud and Lou tires 12psi.
    Q tube SL
    No dishing of the rear rim has been done at this point
    The bike is in the lowest gear front and rear

Here are some photos of the bike with the tires on it. The chain clearance photo isn't great but its the best of the ones I've taken.

I hope this is helpful to someone.

Clearances:
    Overview
    Left Seatstay
    Right Seatstay
    Chain

The White Jeff W
    Thats what im thinking. either X9 cranks set up 1x or I have also like the Race Face Cranks.

$181 bucks shipped. Add it to the cart & $100 comes off the price. Bottom bracket included.

SRAM X9 2x10 Crankset - Fat Bike - Bicycles and gear for every type of riding - Giant, Lapierre, Santa Cruz, Diamondback, Raleigh, Felt, Fox & more
    No moss...

mtbr member

Boris report....

Got my new saddle. Quick ship and much more to my liking than the speed v. Once it snows the nates with tan sidewalls will go on. 10 miles to work today and loved it. Rode great didn't feel like a 37 lbs beast. I can feel the self steer of the v8s though but nothing I can't handle in my commute to work especially knowing I'll throw on the nates soon.

mtbr member
    What's the final word on the Bluto/headset? Someone was waiting to hear from their bike shop about headsets...

Anyone???

Bueller???

Bueller???

I looked at the headtube last night. Looks like it can accommodate tapered steering tubes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I know I've seen a couple people say they are using the Carver O'Beast carbon fork. Can't find who, but for those who have it how is it? Other than weight savings can you tell a difference in the ride? Did you use the stock headset or upgrade? Does the brake caliper need any other kind of adapter? Is the length similar so that the steering feels the same? Based on the specs I see online with this fork I assume it goes on with no problems but I'd like to hear from someone who has done it to confirm. I'm saving my pennies but a carbon fork is my next upgrade and the Carver looks like a nice piece.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by grejji View Post
    I just wanted to pass on some info. I bought a Bud and Lou and they appear to fit fine on my Boris. They may need to stretch a bit but I think I have just under a quarter of an inch before I hit the chain and a little more before I hit the chainstay or seatstay on the non drive side. YMMV! (I measured the crap out of mine so I kinda thought it'd fit)

I'm posting this because the consensus seems to be that it is unlikely that the Lou can fit on the Boris. Anyway, here is a data point in favor of them fitting. Who knows, they might rub when riding. But I won't know until finals are over.

Some details about the fitment:
    Large boris X9 Gen 1 (with the adjustable rear dropouts) basically stock
    Bud and Lou tires 12psi.
    Q tube SL
    No dishing of the rear rim has been done at this point
    The bike is in the lowest gear front and rear

Here are some photos of the bike with the tires on it. The chain clearance photo isn't great but its the best of the ones I've taken.

I hope this is helpful to someone.

Clearances:
    Overview
    Left Seatstay
    Right Seatstay
    Chain

I'm definitely interested in an update after you give it a couple miles.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    What's the final word on the Bluto/headset? Someone was waiting to hear from their bike shop about headsets...

Anyone???

Bueller???

Bueller???

I looked at the headtube last night. Looks like it can accommodate tapered steering tubes.
    It can be done. Buy the Cane Creek lower assembly EC44/40 (no need to replace the top), front 150mm thru-axle hub of your choosing, Bluto travel of your choosing. Either bring the parts to the LBS and have them do it, or tear into it and DIY.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Ya, all parts are ordered. Should be done in a week. I can't imagine lacing a hub. I'll let them do it.

mtbr member
    The headset was not real difficult to swap. Even with a headset tool, the cups were not that difficult to remove. I used a brass drift, a hammer, and a block of wood under the frame. Install was pretty easy too, using a freezer to pre-cool the new headset (shrink it a tiny bit). The hardest part for me was parting the fork from its crown race. That bad boy was on there good!
    2013 Santa Cruz Heckler
    2007 Jamis Dragon

Boris Fat on Facebook

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I should have my X5 tomorrow. Nate/BFL got here today, and color matched saddle and grips look like they'll be here Thursday. I'm excited as heck!

mtbr member

Boris report....

Rode to work again. This is a fun bike. Got my new pedals (answer rove) And put my loaded handle bars that I had in my parts bin. also found an X9 shifter in RD that I had there. Didn't even remember that. Much crisper shifting and I'm going 1x soon so I dont care for the front d. Christmas looking handlebar just for the season next up is brakes and crank and then I think I'm set.

mtbr member
    Wooo - Bluto spec'd Boris is shipping

Hi, Thanks for being a smart cyclist and saving hundreds on your new Motobecane Fat Bike.

Update on your order -

We will begin shipping orders within the next 24 hours for the Motobecane Boris FS X9 Fat Bike that you ordered. Please track your bike using the UPS tracking # that was sent to you shortly after ordering your bike. If you do not see it, please check your spam folder.

Thanks again for being a smart cyclist and saving hundreds off your new Motobecane bike.

Best regards,

The Friendly Folks at Bikesdirect.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I can't find the pics and info on setting up my boris x9 tubeless? I remember some good pics. foam strip, tape, split tubes...tell m exactly what to do. my on one floaters showed up (the box for 2 was huge) and I am anxious to set them up

mtbr member

Fossil
    cman8 - is your front fork OK? I know the picture angle is not dead-nuts straight on, but it looks like there is more space between the left fork leg and tire.
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

mtbr member
    Yeah its good. Thats acutally something I checked first since so many people had that issue, but mine was good when I put it together.

Fossil
    Cool - yeah that's why I asked. My box looked fine but the plastic separator in the fork dropouts was shattered so I knew it had taken a whack somewhere. The left leg was off by a couple mms. Easy to tweak back to perfect.
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

mtbr member

For the guys with new forks on order...

I've been looking into a new fork for my Boris as well. I realized looking through many of the posts that the parts list is not quite complete.

For any fork with 1.5" taper tube, you'll not only need the bottom headset cups - you'll also need:

Crown race (you can't use the take-off part from the old fork as it's 1-1/8".)
    Star nut (you can't use the old one as they don't come out)

And if you go carbon with a carbon steerer - you should use a compression plug rather than a star nut.

For any fork with thru-axle: you'll need a new front hub (unless someone can identify a conversion kit)

I'm pondering a quick-release carbon fork so I shouldn't need a new hub.

As far as I can tell, the Bluto is 1.5" tapered and requires a new hub for thru axle. Looks like the Carver O'beast and On-One Fatty Fork are 1-1/8" with quick-release so they don't require anything else except a compression nut.

Hope that helps! Good luck and keep us posted on how things work out. I'm following along very very closely awaiting your reports!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I've been looking into a new fork for my Boris as well. I realized looking through many of the posts that the parts list is not quite complete.

For any fork with 1.5" taper tube, you'll not only need the bottom headset cups - you'll also need:

Crown race (you can't use the take-off part from the old fork as it's 1-1/8".)
    Star nut (you can't use the old one as they don't come out)

And if you go carbon with a carbon steerer - you should use a compression plug rather than a star nut.

For any fork with thru-axle: you'll need a new front hub (unless someone can identify a conversion kit)

I'm pondering a quick-release carbon fork so I shouldn't need a new hub.

As far as I can tell, the Bluto is 1.5" tapered and requires a new hub for thru axle. Looks like the Carver O'beast and On-One Fatty Fork are 1-1/8" with quick-release so they don't require anything else except a compression nut.

Hope that helps! Good luck and keep us posted on how things work out. I'm following along very very closely awaiting your reports!
    I spoke with the USA branch of On-One about their fork. They don't currently have any in stock. There was a problem with the current batch and their waiting for the new ones to come out. Might be a different story for the English branch. As a side note, they are on top of it, which is good. My understanding is that my wheel and hubs will be a direct fit (Boris X9).

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Anybody in the Denver area willing to meet up so I can check out their Boris? I got shut out of the last order for a 17" X7. Waiting (not so patiently for the next batch) but would love to check one out in person.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    You can come to long island and ride my x5 lol

I'm 5'8 and a 17" with a 40mm stem is perfect for me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    If I still lived in North Jersey I may take you up on it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    At least you're not in jersey haha.. I'm trying to move to colorado actually. Trying to get my gf to sell her apt in queens

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    My hometown of Ringwood actually has some great riding but CO has been great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Property taxes are too high here, and i'm done with long island really. Been looking at a few places but I have some friends who moved to CO and they seem to love it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DDondero View Post
    Anybody in the Denver area willing to meet up so I can check out their Boris? I got shut out of the last order for a 17" X7. Waiting (not so patiently for the next batch) but would love to check one out in person.
    They have a 15'' and 17'' Boris X7 available on their scratch and dent site
    The 17'' is $650 shipped and is "New with scratches on front wheel and front rim needs truing" If you don't mind truing a rim, it's a decent deal. BikeIsland.com - Bicycle Parts, Accessories and Clothing at Affordable Prices with Free Shipping

They also have a White 17'' X5 for $549 with "17in Mens White 9814 / New with scratches on down tube and scuffs on fork"

and a 17'' X5 indigo Blue for $500 "17in Mens Indigo Blue 92414 / New with NO LEFT CRANK ARM / scuffs on frame and drop outs / additional 50 dollars off"

BikeIsland.com - Bicycle Parts, Accessories and Clothing at Affordable Prices with Free Shipping

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Thanks. I'll check them out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Any experience with bike island.com?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    It's owned by bikes direct it's their overstock and scratch and dent stuff

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Ah, good to know.

mtbr member
    You can come to long island and ride my x5 lol

I'm 5'8 and a 17" with a 40mm stem is perfect for me.
    I'm 5'11'' and the Large to me feels big, wish I would of went with a medium. im going to try new bars and short stem 40mm and see if it helps.
    2017 Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yeah the difference between the medium and large was way too much for me. I mainly look for standing and top bar length and compared it to my trek. I ride a 17.5 trek so it seemed to match up geo wise. I use a 60mm stem on that bike and its perfect, so I knew I was in the ballpark. The 15" just looked too small looking at it in the pictures I saw, and I bought it before they shipped so there weren't many people who had it to reference their height and size they bought.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I'm a little over 5'9". Just ordered the 17" X7 from Bike Island.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    thank you - that is a lot of info! there was another one that was a series of 4 pics? My new tires came in so I just threw them on with tubes

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    According to my tracking number, there will be a matte black Boris X9 Bluto in Eagle, CO next Monday - you're welcome to try it out if I ever get off it!

I also bought this and the matching thur-axle, expected delivery in the next week or 2. Plan to take off the Bluto and sell it, install this. Never installed a fork before, connolm's info is useful. In the 4th and 5th photos, it appears to include a bottom headset cup?

2015 Fatbike Carbon Fork 15 150mm Skewer D Brake Snow Bike Carbon Fork New Sale | eBay

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Thanks. Just ordered a 17" Orange Boris X7 from Bike Island.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

... and if we just ...

Pulled the trigger on the Orange X7! Thanks for directing me that way.

update: Orange Crush is scheduled for delivery tomorrow! Christmas is coming early! Let it snow!
    Last edited by DDondero; 12-08-2014 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Update

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Boris report....-img_5640.jpgBoris report....-img_5644.jpgI switched the stock V Missions with On One Floaters for my large X9 and the weight dropped from 36 lbs 03 oz to 35 lbs 11 oz. This is the complete bike including cages, garmin mounts, pedals etc. the tires made a very noticeable difference. I used the stock tubes for now. FYI the complete bike weighs 19 lbs, 11 oz with both wheels (and tires, cassette etc) removed .

mtbr member
    wow 1 pound thats nuts.

mtbr member
    wow 1 pound thats nuts.
    "the weight dropped from 36 lbs 03 oz to 35 lbs 11 oz." more like half a pound.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Bathroom scale weight on my 19" X5 with Nate/BFL tires, stock tubes, swapped out saddle (presumed heavier, but known to be comfortable) and Candy 2 pedals was 36 lbs. Did a 10+ mile night ride to break her in tonight. I'm super excited and my toes have finally thawed out! Mud/wet feet + 40 degree temps = frozen toes. One happy camper here!

The White Jeff W
    I dropped a little over 2 full pounds replacing the stock Vee Rubber Missions with H-Billies. ($140/pair at Bike Bling with coupon 'realdeal') I also removed the stock red rim strip, rubber strip and tube and replaced them with a strip made from colored tape & secured with clear packing tape. Both tires weighed 1220 grams on my Park scale, a full 100 grams under the manufacturers claimed 1320. The bike also steers much better, with the Missions self-steer condition nearly eliminated.

I replaced the tubes with Continental downhill/freeride tubes ($11.50/ea on ebay) Still heavy but only half the weight of the stock tubes. Continental MTB Freeride Tube 26 x 2 3 2 7" Presta 42mm Damaged Packaging | eBay

I have a pair of Sun Ringle Mulefut rims on the way and will convert to tubeless once I have them laced in. The tires fit way too loose on the Weinmann rims for me to feel comfortable riding them tubeless. Im estimating the Mulefut rims should be good for almost another pound of weight savings.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Took the VEE 8's off and put the floaters on last night.
    Figured I might as well add some flare instead of using the boring white rim strips it came with.

Boris report....-strips2.jpgBoris report....-strips.jpg

mtbr member
    Thats pretty sweet. Bandit style.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Tips-Up View Post
    According to my tracking number, there will be a matte black Boris X9 Bluto in Eagle, CO next Monday - you're welcome to try it out if I ever get off it!

I also bought this and the matching thur-axle, expected delivery in the next week or 2. Plan to take off the Bluto and sell it, install this. Never installed a fork before, connolm's info is useful. In the 4th and 5th photos, it appears to include a bottom headset cup?

2015 Fatbike Carbon Fork 15 150mm Skewer D Brake Snow Bike Carbon Fork New Sale | eBay
    Welp, China lied and they didn't actually have the fork in stock or ship it, although the gave me a tracking number. Much easier to find 135mm spaced carbon forks than 150, but that requires new front hub. +1 for LBS, -1 for us thinking we are "saving" money!

I still would rather have carbon rigid over the Bluto. I'm anxious to get the bike and see if the front hub is a legit 150 or a 135 with spacers.

mtbr member
    Thats pretty sweet. Bandit style.
    Thanks! I thought it would look nice with the red ergon grips and red wellgo pedals.

mtbr member
    What did you use, just regular cloth?

mtbr member
    What did you use, just regular cloth?
    I used designer Duck Tape from Hobby lobby.

Wow, what a difference.
    I put the floaters on the bike today at lunch, inflated to 8psi and ripped up the icy alley which is at an incline and they worked amazingly well. No slipping and sliding like the VEE 8s. Even on pavement they have no self steer.
    I'm pretty stoked.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I just swapped out my Big Adventures and tubes that it came with to Q tubes superlite tubes and a Surly Bud up front and an On One Floater in the rear. Bike went from 36.55 lbs to 35.86 lbs, not a huge weight loss, but I have much better and larger tires with some tread that will actually work in the snow. Can't wait to see how it rides.

mtbr member
    I replaced the tubes with Continental downhill/freeride tubes ($11.50/ea on ebay)
    Apologies for the major newb question but in regards to switching to eg 26 x 2.7 tubes, besides weight savings how do they perform compared to 26 x 4 tubes?

Is it the fact that we inflate fat tubes to such a low psi that allows for such a different size tube to be used?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Obviously a more stretched out tube is more prone to puncture. I don't know if we will ever know exactly what percentage of flats are caused purely by over inflating a tube, but if you ride them and don't get flats, then that should be good enough evidence that they're performing adequately.

mtbr member
    The local shops here in Northern MN sell the continental downhill tubes to fat bikers too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    If you're running very light tubes and happen to get a flat (which I did after many rides), when you go to clean the area for the patch, don't get carried away with the sandpaper. I did and had to patch that area too.

mtbr member
    Obviously a more stretched out tube is more prone to puncture. I don't know if we will ever know exactly what percentage of flats are caused purely by over inflating a tube, but if you ride them and don't get flats, then that should be good enough evidence that they're performing adequately.
    Thanks ou2mame - sounds like the only benefit is to save a bit of weight or am I missing something?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Pretty much yeah. It's not gonna benefit the performance of the tube to be stretched further, but you'll loose the weight difference.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I'd like to upgrade the stem on my Boris X7 to something shorter. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    1 1/8th x 31.8mm clamp, length is personal preference. I have a 40mm on mine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Boris report....-img_20141205_135921408_1.jpgI got out for a ride on the new tires today. I have to say it was a completely different ride. I felt like I was mountain biking..haha. It made everything right about the bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    how are the wheels anyone have any problem yet? I see these for sale and am not sure if i want to buy them.

mtbr member
    Anyone know what the BCD of the Lasco cranks are?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I haven't had a problem besides a defective wheel, but they replaced it quick. The freehub was warped it seemed. They're not the best wheels but they aren't terrible either.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Oh.. Bcd is 104

mtbr member
    I was changing a tube and dropped the wheel and it bent rather easy, i did the best i could and fixed it but in the process put a small crack in it. Tire beaded up so all is good.
    2017 Surly Ogre

Fossil
    Lasco cranks are 104mm / 64mm bcd. Pretty standard 4-arm stuff.
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

Fossil
    Re. the HL80s rims, I disassembled mine to clean up the drilled holes. The holes had some jagged edges which were cutting into the rim strips in spots. Used a small sanding roll on my Dremel to knock off most of it and then finished with some sandpaper. Mind-numbing PITA to be honest. Whatever machine they used to true the rear rim boogered up a lot of the nipple heads (the slotted side) so I smoothed those down as well so they wouldn't cut into the rim strip either. There was a good bit of aluminum shavings inside the rim too (before I made my own!) so I was real glad I took the time to do all this and clean things up.

I stuck the wheels in a truing stand when done. The spoke tension wasn't bad but some spokes were pretty loose on the back rim. The main difference I noticed truing these rims vs. normal rims is that a little turn goes a looooong way. Also, it seems the holes take away some structural rigidity - tightening a spoke would pull just that small section of rim in a surprising amount. So it was hard to true the rims by making small tweaks to several neighboring spokes like a normal skinny mtb rim. Confession - I've never built or trued a fat wheel before.

I think these rims will work well enough for long enough, but at some point I'll upgrade. Nice to see more rim options popping up... time is on our side.
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Does the Boris X9 have a front facing disc brake (on front wheel). Tried googling it, but no luck. From what I've seen the On-one Fatty has a rear facing brake, and it looks like it sits to the rear while the Boris looks like it sits towards the front.

Lots of terminology to learn since my first full suspension bike.

mtbr member

Boris report....

Ummmm the boris isnt a full suspension bike...

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Ummmm the boris isnt a full suspension bike...

Actually that means terminology has changed since my first full suspension bike (It was purchased in 1996 Proflex 856).

Would have been infinitely more helpful if you knew if the brakes were front facing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Front facing? I'm not familiar with that terminology

mtbr member

Boris report....

Was questioning that as well....

mtbr member

Boris report....

Sorry for the picts, it's loaded in the car for a ride tomorrow. Brakes mount on back side if fork.... Guessing that is a rear mounted brake?

Fossil
    Maybe you are talking about brake spacing? The Boris's front wheel and fork are set up for a hub with front disc spacing.
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I've never seen a brake on the front of the fork if that's what you mean. You could always look at the pics on their site

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mtmiller View Post
    Maybe you are talking about brake spacing? The Boris's front wheel and fork are set up for a hub with front disc spacing.
    Thank you. The reason I was asking is I'm starting to look at a new wheelset for the Boris and the question that was put to me was:

Do you know if your front fork is spaced for front disc spacing or rear disc spacing? This is important. If you aren't sure, contact your seller and get that info.

Too many terms at this time. Speed reading doesn't help. It was indeed spaced not faced. Thanks for clearing that up.

Fossil
    No worries. 5mm spacers are available to mate mismatched brakes but it would be good to not need those. :-)
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Speaking of brake spacing in front, how many of you find the caliper in the way when installing / removing the wheel in the fork? Maybe it's just the bigger front tire I'm running, but it won't clear without deflation.

Fred

Fossil
    No real issue... I just angle the wheel in. And I have a Bud on my front rim.
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

mtbr member
    I rode the boris with the bud and lou for about 6 miles today at what I'll call a fatbike pace. Lots of warthogging and stopping to get pictures and just leisurely cruising. I spent a large portion of the time in my granny gear. I had zero issues with the tires rubbing the chain, chainstays or seatstays. This is in Pittsburgh so it was very wet and mucky. The tires do a nice job of clearing the mud. I was worried about the mud holding and rubbing in the tight clearance areas but the tires just don't seem to cling to the mud. Oh and all that self-steer business is history.

The White Jeff W
    Where did you ride grejji? Me & my friend Adam did some trail work at Brady's Run today. It got pretty muddy when it warmed up.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grejji View Post
    I rode the boris with the bud and lou for about 6 miles today at what I'll call a fatbike pace. Lots of warthogging and stopping to get pictures and just leisurely cruising. I spent a large portion of the time in my granny gear. I had zero issues with the tires rubbing the chain, chainstays or seatstays. This is in Pittsburgh so it was very wet and mucky. The tires do a nice job of clearing the mud. I was worried about the mud holding and rubbing in the tight clearance areas but the tires just don't seem to cling to the mud. Oh and all that self-steer business is history.
    Yeah where at, I rode south park today and it was VERY muddy.
    2017 Surly Ogre

The White Jeff W
    Wow, another one! Maybe we should start a Pittsburgh area Boris owners club lol. Fatbiking has really exploded around here this year.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Excellent! Thanks for volunteering! I rode there during Month of Mud and the track we were on was choice.

There was a good bit of rain lately and I knew alot of folks were doing trailwork so I didn't want to ruin the trails. I chose to tear up my old dirt biking spot instead. They posted "no ATVs" signs and I think they had someone watching it for a while so I haven't ridden the 125 there in over a year. I've seen folks strolling around and I thought no one would mind me quietly investigating the old golf course equipment. The place is better for exploring than it is for mountain biking. It seems to be either game trails, logging roads/gas lines/ dirtbike singletrack.(ie zero flow) You could PM me if you want some details but it kinda sucks for riding.

Here is a photo dump of some fun stuff I found.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2pmtov1gz9...03.40.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0z8d0hi63y...09.32.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/bhijvcytnx...11.57.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/i8adtu155e...23.23.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/29rx7fogxe...25.24.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/2vvuvtlbkw...28.41.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/b6mge1r3i1...30.55.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/c01tp3s095...32.24.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ra1gm1srah...33.20.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/nccligv5qk...34.30.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/7honmslbxh...40.29.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/5msvu5uj0s...40.54.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/tvkwmo1389...44.53.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ugy4qyme7l...02.34.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/4g4nfuon6s...10.32.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/mtjlf5a4j9...25.49.jpg?dl=0

The White Jeff W
    Yup that's good riding up where they do the M.O.M. but only maybe 1/4 of the mileage in the park. We've put in a lot of new stuff up that way in the past few years. We're working on making the other side of the park (near the ballfields) better. We finished a new trail today by putting in a long rock garden through an area with drainage problems then scouted out another area that's gonna be epic when its done. Another guy that's more of a downhiller has put in a couple sick jump lines up that way.

The ground was frozen until around 11. Kinda wish I had ridden first. Maybe tomorrow night if Im not too sore. Moved a lot of rock today lol
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Yup that's good riding up where they do the M.O.M. but only maybe 1/4 of the mileage in the park. We've put in a lot of new stuff up that way in the past few years. We're working on making the other side of the park (near the ballfields) better. We finished a new trail today by putting in a long rock garden through an area with drainage problems then scouted out another area that's gonna be epic when its done. Another guy that's more of a downhiller has put in a couple sick jump lines up that way.

The ground was frozen until around 11. Kinda wish I had ridden first. Maybe tomorrow night if Im not too sore. Moved a lot of rock today lol
    Awesome! Glad to hear we're getting some more gravity type stuff. It seemed to me the Brady's Run trail designers keep it a bit spicier than the usual xc drone.

On an different note, I am wondering if it would be possible to make use of the local ski resorts (boyce, 7 springs, hidden valley) to get some snow miles in. Not riding down the slopes, but maybe riding some nearby trails that get accumulation by proximity. idk Maybe I am still salty about getting my Boris after the final melt last year.

mtbr member
    Wow, another one! Maybe we should start a Pittsburgh area Boris owners club lol. Fatbiking has really exploded around here this year.
    LOL I ride with a group of guys and we all own fat bikes, Pugsley, Fatboy and a Farley.
    2017 Surly Ogre

mtbr member

Boris report....

I put on the nates today. I got the tan sidewall but can't make it seat all alike. Is this normal? Anyone?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I put some air in, squeeze the tire some, more air, squeeze more, etc.

mtbr member
    Yeah I've been doing that and still looks as is. Does it matter. It feels like it seated right.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    As long as it spins ok

mtbr member
    Yeah isn't spinning whack or nothing. Tire went on easy front and rear actually. But don't know if it's the tan that makes me notice this or what. Well find out tomorrow on my ride into work see how that goes.

mtbr member
    From the quick ride around the block these are a definite upgrade from the vee 8s almost eliminated the self steer and rides just as fast and smoother. A bit noisier but who cares I wear earphones anyway. No snow as its been really warm here in Utah but if reviews do these right I'm gonna like em A lotespecially on the snowy trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    My Devist8ers do the same thing on my rims I haven't had an issue. Waiting for snow as well in long Island

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Where'd you get the tan Nates? I think those would look awesome on my burnt orange X7.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I put on the nates today. I got the tan sidewall but can't make it seat all alike. Is this normal? Anyone?
    Yeah it was a little hard to get perfectly seated with the OEM tubes. I found that using the smaller tubes (Q-Tubes 26x2.7), it was easier to get it seated.

I was looking at those also. That combo with your brown seat probably looks awesome. Need some pics of the whole bike!

Quick ride on Friday on an out-back route since there were limited trails in good condition.

Boris report....-10801530_10205594342366613_6595308053838638529_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DDondero View Post
    Where'd you get the tan Nates? I think those would look awesome on my burnt orange X7.
    Got em on sale for the black friday sales. I think their back up though.

Surly Nate Tire 26 X 3.8" Tan Sidewall > Components > Tires and Tubes > Tires | Jenson USA

mtbr member
    What did you use for the green rim strip. I just switched the oem strip to the blue side but want a green or red.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have noticed a difference in the overall diameter of the rim bead seat between a standard rim and one touted as tubeless or tubeless ready. The latter have an obviously greater diameter and the tires are a much tighter fit. The Weinmann rims that come with the Boris (and probably all BD fat bikes) are small enough that the fat tires fit very loosely. I don't see this as a problem, it's just an observation. But I'm convinced it would complicate attempts to run these wheels tubeless as it would likely require some foam or tape buildup of the bead seat diameter to snug the tires.

Fred

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    What did you use for the green rim strip. I just switched the oem strip to the blue side but want a green or red.
    Used duct tape. Place the duct tape colored side down on a table then taped clear packaging tape on the sticky side of the duct tape.

Once that is done, using the packaging tape, attached the duct tape onto the rim (start at the non-cutout side), wrap around the entire rim, cut to fit, then taped using packing tape.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Mine is being delivered tomorrow!

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast