Boris report.... - Page 4- Mtbr.com
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcksqrl View Post
    Derailleur will fully extend and stay in that position. (This is not on big rear/big front sprocket, usually small front sprocket and somewhere in te middle of rear cassette so not where the derailleur would normally be extended) this makes the chain VERY slack and unable to pedal because the chain will skip.
    As to "upgrade" I'm just hoping... Derailleur that came with the x9 is a 2.0 version, there is a 2.1 version coming out that I HOPE will fix the issue...
    Spring isn't broken, usually by wiggling with the derailleur and messing around with it for a few minutes it will magically go back to normal. Frustrating....

Sent from magic wish granting phone
    Silly question and I am by no means a bike repair expert, but have you tried lubing the derailleur?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BENKD29 View Post
    1. you can fit anything you want in front. Surly Bud or vee rubber snowshoe

it's a little tighter in the rear. i was looking at it the other day and i don't think a 5 inch tire will fit comfortably. i thought i saw somewhere that someone was making a 4.5 rear tire. vee rubber maybe? that would maybe fit.? the other option is a 4.0 inch tire on a 100mm rim. that might fit as well.

i have a bud on the front and an On-One floater in the rear and don't really have any desire to go wider in the rear. it has plenty of tire the way it is. i ride with a few guys who also have a bigger tire in front and a 4.0 in the rear.

if you really feel the need for a wider tire in the rear, check out the lurch, or moonlander.

2. there are a few manufactures making fat bike bottom brackets now. google it. although that seems a long way down the road to worry about now.

my setup:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]925354[/ATTACH
    With all the talk about the Bluto and wanting suspension on their Boris' I'm surprised this Lefty didn't get more attention. Nice X5 Benkd
    Last edited by Hardtale; 11-04-2014 at 09:15 AM. Reason: pic did not post

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Finally got Nate/Bud on my X7. More than enough clearance in the front for Bud. Now I'm ready for some snow!

Boris report....-fatbike2.jpg

These are so much nicer to ride. I had some wicked self steering with the ones that came on it, and it made the bike feel hard to handle, even on dirt. Night and day difference in handling with these on there.

Also, switching out the stock tires for these and q-tubes saved me a couple of pounds of weight. Weighing in right around 34 lbs now, after switching out tires/tubes and seatpost/saddle.

mtbr member

Boris report....

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWheeler View Post
    Silly question and I am by no means a bike repair expert, but have you tried lubing the derailleur?
    Yes sir I have! It helps for awhile but is bound to happen again.... LBS also has been puzzled by this as it will do so on climbs, flat ground with no bumps or jostling.
    There have been many threads about this issue and there Is some malfunction in a lot of these derailleurs. Mine just was past warrantee when it first started acting up..... I've milked it along since April when I got it. Should have around 600 miles on it but with winter coming don't like the idea of it locking up and having to hike more than I'm already planning..

mtbr member
    That looks awesome. I thought the lilac was going to be super pastel in color like the sample color. If I had known it was more of a dark purple, I would have got one. Oh well, black is cool too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    That looks awesome. I thought the lilac was going to be super pastel in color like the sample color. If I had known it was more of a dark purple, I would have got one. Oh well, black is cool too.
    Me too - I was happy when I got it that it's way darker than it looks in the sample online! Definitely more of a purple purple than what I would consider "lilac" (pastel). It's still pretty bright - I get a lot of weird looks riding this bike, but I assume that's a fatbike thing

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Re: Boris report....

Yes sir I have! It helps for awhile but is bound to happen again.... LBS also has been puzzled by this as it will do so on climbs, flat ground with no bumps or jostling.
    There have been many threads about this issue and there Is some malfunction in a lot of these derailleurs. Mine just was past warrantee when it first started acting up..... I've milked it along since April when I got it. Should have around 600 miles on it but with winter coming don't like the idea of it locking up and having to hike more than I'm already planning..

Have you contacted sram? I've had good experiences with them replacing defective parts. They even replaced a crankset that was 8 years old this year for me because the non drive side didn't have threads for a removal tool.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stacers View Post
    Sorry to dig up a super old post, but what kind of rack is that? I've got a Yakima that looks just like that and my Boris won't fit on it - tires don't go down in the grooves enough so the arm isn't long enough to go over the top. Do they sell different parts for it, or do I maybe just have one that's too old-school for a fattie?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but google is not helping me
    Yakima Holdup. I drilled the rivets out on the plastic front tire mount...so it is just metal. Works like a charm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    bump !! please help - I need a good set of snow tires to fit my large X9 - don't have me sliding around on my new fat bike when we finally get some snow!!

Quote Originally Posted by donn12 View Post
    Ok Boris owners - I need some help and I can't tell from this thread....what is the best and biggest rear tire for snow that will fit on my stock Boris Large? I wan to make sure I am ready for snow when it arrives in DC. I may do tubeless, may not
    Epic Flash Boris F65X + road bikes

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Most people around here run Surly Nates in the winter, that's what I put on my Boris. They're not huge, but I've been told by good sources that they will work just fine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    bump !! please help - I need a good set of snow tires to fit my large X9 - don't have me sliding around on my new fat bike when we finally get some snow!!
    I've been running the Vee Snowshoe 4.7 with the stock, 80mm wheels on my medium frame and they have plenty of clearance and stick to ice and snow like velcro.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    thank you monts and AK!

MidnightBroomstickCowboy
    Jun 2008
    your best bet is a pair of 3.8 surly nates or at least the nate in the rear. nothing will fit larger than a 4.25 in rear. everyone if praising the dillingers but they're high$.
    "As a true patriotic American, I blindly follow what my elected leaders tell me." - Jack English

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Just finished a ride through the power lines and cat trails at Big Sky. Bike goes where it has no reasonable expectations of making it through. Clumps of high grass, low brush and water. RipRap rock no problem.

Installed the FSA Metropolis Handlebars. First time ever on a mountain bike that the arms and hands haven't been stressed. I like the way the bars look like Ram's horns. Kind of got that warm and fuzzy feeling back to nature vibe. Too bad my lungs were feeling like I was being chased by a griz. Should get better the longer I'm up here.

Also installed Ibera Pakrak Amazon.com : Ibera PakRak Bicycle Touring Carrier Plus+, Frame-Mounted for Heavier Top & Side Loads, Height Adjustable, Fender Board, for 26"-29" Frames : Bike Racks : Sports & Outdoors

This Ibera rack had the extensions included in with it and required a little finesse to get them to fit, but no real problem.

Bars were $35 shipped and Rack was $24 shipped. Both were really strong and very much worth it.

Thought some of you guys would like to see how they were on the Boris.

Would say that, for me, that these bars were preferable to the Jones Bars because they were swept back a little further into the cockpit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boris report....-20141106_153649%5B1%5D.jpg  

Boris report....-20141106_153705%5B1%5D.jpg  

Boris report....-20141106_153619%5B1%5D.jpg  

Boris report....-20141106_153635%5B2%5D.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    did you notice a better fit with the extra sweep? They do look sturdy,a nd heck, considering they're like $100 cheaper than the Jones, that's not a half bad deal

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtrobo View Post
    did you notice a better fit with the extra sweep? They do look sturdy,a nd heck, considering they're like $100 cheaper than the Jones, that's not a half bad deal
    I'm actually pretty stoked on them. Before I ordered I sat on my bike reached forward to the most comfortable natural position of my hands and checked the angle. Turned out to be 45 degrees or there about, and was further in the cockpit. I had carbon fiber bars at the time and realized that aside from being lighter, they were doing more harm than good.

Make a fist while you're holding a bar with a stick or dowel while sitting upright on your bike. Relax your hands to the most comfortable position, then turn them as if you're holding a straight bar and see what it does to your body mechanics. Then see if you're hands are further back in the cockpit. What works for me may not work for you, but body mechanics are really important to do the least amount of damage to the body, especially on longer rides.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Bars were $35 shipped and Rack was $24 shipped. Both were really strong and very much worth it.
    Where did you order the FSA handle bars?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by radnur22 View Post
    Where did you order the FSA handle bars?
    Xtreme Bike & Sport

10% off now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Evidently it was a little less expensive 2 weeks ago.

mtbr member

Got er in, assembled and initial ride done today. Rear derailleur needs a slight adjustment and a few slight preferences tweaks, but she rides nice.
    There is a good amount of self steer off road even, but it's probably air pressure related and tread design.
    I don't have a low pressure gauge yet, so the first part of the ride I aired the tires up so I could press in about 1/16'' to 1/8'' on the sidewalls.
    That felt too bouncy and self-steery.
    Then halfway through the ride, I released a bunch more air and it still had pretty bad self steer.
    I am going to pick up a gauge next week and mess around with it some more.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    So my Boris showed up with a badly bent rear hanger and scratched up RD. Emailed BD and will see what they do. Bike is getting torn down and built back up so everything can be properly lubed and torqued. Hopefully no other surprises.

I'll post back how BD's handles this.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I wouldn't worry about it. They sent me a new rear wheel cause the freehub was broken, and rotors cause one was twisted up pretty bad. They are easy to deal with.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it. They sent me a new rear wheel cause the freehub was broken, and rotors cause one was twisted up pretty bad. They are easy to deal with.
    +1 They have been great sorting out my little issues also.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Bikes Direct Customer Service

Quote Originally Posted by Hardtale View Post
    So my Boris showed up with a badly bent rear hanger and scratched up RD. Emailed BD and will see what they do. Bike is getting torn down and built back up so everything can be properly lubed and torqued. Hopefully no other surprises.

I'll post back how BD's handles this.
    I sent an email last night and by this AM I had a tracking number for the new hanger they are sending out. (*turns out the derailleur itself is fine so no worries there).

Whatever else you may want to say, their customer service appears to be top notch.

mtbr member
    I sent an email last night and by this AM I had a tracking number for the new hanger they are sending out. (*turns out the derailleur itself is fine so no worries there).

Whatever else you may want to say, their customer service appears to be top notch.
    Be sure to bend the original hanger, straighten it out after you remove it and keep as a spare. They run about $20 new so it's worth the minimal effort to straighten it back out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    There is a good amount of self steer off road even, but it's probably air pressure related and tread design.
    I don't have a low pressure gauge yet, so the first part of the ride I aired the tires up so I could press in about 1/16'' to 1/8'' on the sidewalls.
    That felt too bouncy and self-steery.
    Then halfway through the ride, I released a bunch more air and it still had pretty bad self steer.
    I am going to pick up a gauge next week and mess around with it some more.
    I had wicked self steer with those tires both on and off road, regardless of pressure. It made the bike feel hard to handle for me. Put Nate/Bud on for winter, and the bike rides SO MUCH BETTER. Way better handling, no self steer at all. Now I just have to figure out where to unload the tires that came on it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stacers View Post
    I had wicked self steer with those tires both on and off road, regardless of pressure. It made the bike feel hard to handle for me. Put Nate/Bud on for winter, and the bike rides SO MUCH BETTER. Way better handling, no self steer at all. Now I just have to figure out where to unload the tires that came on it!
    Craigslist seems to be a good place to get rid of em.

I am debating on getting some On-One floaters, people seem to have lots of good things to say about them and for $145 shipped from the UK for a pair, the price is good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    If you don't mind colors other than black, planet-x-usa.com has them for a bit cheaper.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    They also have them in black for just $10 more than the colored ones here.

mtbr member
    OK....so has anyone else in here had issues with vibration / noise coming from the front brake? If I am just riding (Not under braking), the front rotor just dings (vibrates) as it rotates.... it is so annoying I get sick of riding the bike after 10 minutes...I took it to my LBS for a full tune up and they said there was nothing they could do...said it is pretty typical for fat bikes with the QR setup.

So...what is the best way to resolve this without getting into spending a ton of money? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScalpelOne View Post
    OK....so has anyone else in here had issues with vibration / noise coming from the front brake? If I am just riding (Not under braking), the front rotor just dings (vibrates) as it rotates.... it is so annoying I get sick of riding the bike after 10 minutes...I took it to my LBS for a full tune up and they said there was nothing they could do...said it is pretty typical for fat bikes with the QR setup.

So...what is the best way to resolve this without getting into spending a ton of money? Thanks!
    Mine did this for the first ~50 miles. Now that I have put in some heavy braking, it's quiet as a mouse.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by n8b5150 View Post
    Mine did this for the first ~50 miles. Now that I have put in some heavy braking, it's quiet as a mouse.
    Thanks for the feedback...I will keep trucking....only have about 20 miles on it so far...

mtbr member
    Boris report....-image.jpg

Finally took my Boris out on a proper trail today. Loved it! The mud was very greasy and the devis8ers were throwing it everywhere, but once I dropped to 9psi it was a very fun ride. I'm sure lower would be better, but we had a good jaunt on pavement back to the parking lot after the trail so I didn't want to go too low.

Think I'm done with the mods for a while now... Started with Boris x5, then swapped brakes front and rear, along with 185 front rotor, swapped rear D to XT along wiith shifter. Pulled QR front axle for bolt on, swapped tires/tubes and Bars/stem/grips. Also managed to put a raceface 32T big ring on the crankset, along with a raceface bash (this required some filing).

When I got home today I swapped bars again. Now sporting 750mm raceface. The big tire needs the leverage, imho.

I have a lefty sitting on my bench, but need to rebuild it, and have a wheel built for it. Along with MCS clamps obviously.

I had all these parts already, and liked the boris frame, so I bought the cheapest version of it (x5) sold the oe parts on another bike, and made it my own for "free".

Can't wait till the snow flies! For now, mud is fun too.
    2014 Motobecane Boris (Lefty Max)
    2013 Santa Cruz Heckler
    2007 Jamis Dragon

Boris Fat on Facebook

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsukuni View Post

I have a lefty sitting on my bench, but need to rebuild it, and have a wheel built for it. Along with MCS clamps obviously.
    Lefty FTW! Can't wait to see your build!

mtbr member
    Trying to convince my wife that we should "half fat" her DaVinci hardtail with my leftover fork and wheel, but she's not onboard... Yet. 😉

Meanwhile, overnight we got a dump of snow, and it's still coming! Woohoo!
    2013 Santa Cruz Heckler
    2007 Jamis Dragon

Boris Fat on Facebook

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Just ordered my boris x7 can't wait

mtbr member

I was running 9.5 psi in my devist8ers ,but bumped up to 10-10.5 and prefer the higher pressure. No self steer and the ride is just as cushy with almost no bounce and tons of grip.
    Bernice and I go everywhere together.
    The ubiquitous mud shot

mtbr member
    just preordered Boris the Brut! a little nervous since I decided to size up to XL. my current hardtail's ett is 625mm and is use a setback seatpost with a 60mm stem and ride fairly upright. I'm only 6'1 with a 33in inseam but have ape arms.

mtbr member
    If you don't mind colors other than black, planet-x-usa.com has them for a bit cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by AKtracks View Post
    They also have them in black for just $10 more than the colored ones here.
    Thanks guys, the floaters are definitely on my radar. I have to give these VEE 8's a fair shake once the snow flies before I upgrade anything.

I played with the air pressure a bit and it improved. I rode out to my deer stand on Saturday, what a blast just bombin' through the woods on a bike!

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, the floaters are definitely on my radar. I have to give these VEE 8's a fair shake once the snow flies before I upgrade anything.
    The Vee 8's are a great all purpose tire, but as such have some limitations. While great on hardpack, gravel, dirt and even pavement, they do load up with mud quite quickly.

I love them for mountain forest trails where the terrain includes soft dirt, rocks and now, loose leaves. But I have not tried them in snow yet. The floater will certainly do a better job in mud or snow.

mtbr member
    I have to throw in my opinion on the devist8er ul tires. They've out performed the vee8 tires in every aspect of my riding including the butt clinching self steer apparent in the vee8 at anything under 12 psi on pavement. I've ran the devist8ers at 8 on pavement with almost no self steer. I only have the vee8 to compare in fat tires, so take it for what it's worth. My vee8s were ok in dry loose over hardpack, but slipped on everything else.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Juicetifer, is that an X7 burnt orange? If so, that's the color I want. Very sweet! How do you like it? Any regrets in the purchase? If you know now, what you didn't know before, would you have purchased the X5 or X9 instead?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rex615 View Post
    The Vee 8's are a great all purpose tire, but as such have some limitations. While great on hardpack, gravel, dirt and even pavement, they do load up with mud quite quickly.

I love them for mountain forest trails where the terrain includes soft dirt, rocks and now, loose leaves. But I have not tried them in snow yet. The floater will certainly do a better job in mud or snow.
    FIRST SNOW UPDATE!

Boris report....-borismukluk.jpg

I did run them through greasy mud on Saturday and they were terrible.
    I had the tires at about 10psi.
    Last night, Still with 10psi, we got about 6 inches of snow, the first snowfall of the year.
    I took the Boris out with the VEE 8's and rolled through the unplowed alley with ease. I then rode up hill for a 1/8 mile on ice based, unplowed, snow covered street and the rear spun a couple times. I then turned onto the old railroad grade which had about 6'' of snow on it. The VEE 8's did pretty good. I did slip and slide where the trail was angled underneath the snow, but other than that they did great.
    On the way home, I let out 7 seconds of air which ended up bringing the pressure in each tire to 7.5psi and the ride improved. A snowmobile passed me and then the ride really improved once I got on his track.
    Overall I am super impressed and have ZERO need to upgrade tires or anything else on my Boris X7.
    I almost bought into the hype of dumping the tires right away and am glad I did not. I have nothing to compare them to and in this case IGNORANCE IS BLISS!!

mtbr member
    I was able to handle the snow last year in my 29er and those tires where 2.1 rear and 2.3 up front, now im sure 4 inch wide tires will be a huge improvement, even if they dont have an aggressive tread.
    2017 Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback.

I did run them through greasy mud on Saturday and they were terrible.
    I had the tires at about 10psi.
    That has been my experience.

Overall I am super impressed and have ZERO need to upgrade tires or anything else on my Boris X7.
    This too has been my experience, we have an X9 and an X7. Though I do prefer the BB7s for ease of adjustment.

I almost bought into the hype of dumping the tires right away and am glad I did not. I have nothing to compare them to and in this case IGNORANCE IS BLISS!!
    I have the original Snowshoes that came on my Lurch and am saving them for the snow (if we even get any here in the Carolinas) but I want to try the Vee 8's first since they are already on my bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rex615 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.

That has been my experience.

This too has been my experience, we have an X9 and an X7. Though I do prefer the BB7s for ease of adjustment.

I have the original Snowshoes that came on my Lurch and am saving them for the snow (if we even get any here in the Carolinas) but I want to try the Vee 8's first since they are already on my bike.
    The Snowshoes are tempting to me, but I am going to wait to see what's what when we get some of the singletrack groomed here this winter. Until then, it's VEE 8's everywhere I can go in the mean time.

mtbr member

Just a shot of my Boris after its first ride...

I took out all the bolts and locktited them, added a carbon bar I had, though the bar that came off seemed plenty light. The seatpost was heavy and replaced it with a lighter Havoc. Added my Mallets and it was ready to rip. Still playing with the PSI, I'd like it to be soft as in 6 psi but I don't want to snakebite or ding the rim...

Surprisingly fast though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boris report....-boris.jpg  

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by mountainbyte View Post
    I took out all the bolts and locktited them, added a carbon bar I had, though the bar that came off seemed plenty light. The seatpost was heavy and replaced it with a lighter Havoc. Added my Mallets and it was ready to rip. Still playing with the PSI, I'd like it to be soft as in 6 psi but I don't want to snakebite or ding the rim...

Surprisingly fast though.
    I'd suggest better rims if you're looking to run low low pressure. Mine wouldn't hold the tire bead much below 7. Mine may have been an undersized fluke. I did however end up with a snake bite that caused the tire to roll right off the rim and me over the handlebars.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

waiting...

How appropriate.... woke up to this and UPS has my bike scheduled to arrive sometime today. First fat bike and itching to ride it, unfortunately it -5F out...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boris report....-img_20141112_085544741_1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris sky View Post
    I'd suggest better rims if you're looking to run low low pressure. Mine wouldn't hold the tire bead much below 7. Mine may have been an undersized fluke. I did however end up with a snake bite that caused the tire to roll right off the rim and me over the handlebars.
    Where you running tubeless?

mtbr member

Where you running tubeless?
    No. I was running a surly light tube with slime after multiple failed attempts at tubeless with the stock wheelset. Had one of the tires come unglued on the trail even with split tube. I've tried foam, gorilla tape, flashing tape, split tube, etc. With no luck. Others have had success, but not I. I picked up a pair of mulefut rims for the bead lock. Tubeless since day one on these. A scarred up shoulder and helmet helped make my decision on new wheels. Mine may have been an atypical occurrence though.

mtbr member

One Up 42 Tooth

I installed the Oneup 42T cog today and the results where great, im also running the front with a 32t.

You will need a clutch rear derailler to do this, but lucky for me I had one laying around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boris report....-20141112_151410.jpg  

Boris report....-20141112_151106-1-.jpg  

Boris report....-20141112_095202.jpg  

2017 Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Tried to order 17" Boris X7, burnt orange today - sold out. Black is too. Other 3 colors appear available but are not my preference. X5 and X9 look out in 17" too. Hot bike, hope they restock soon!

Fossil
    Does anyone know specs on the Boris's fork... like rake/offset or trail?
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Creeker7 View Post
    Juicetifer, is that an X7 burnt orange? If so, that's the color I want. Very sweet! How do you like it? Any regrets in the purchase? If you know now, what you didn't know before, would you have purchased the X5 or X9 instead?

Thanks.
    Yes it is, and I love it! I have upgraded quite a few things on the bike, some things I had laying around and some I purchased. If I had known how much I was going to upgrade I would have gotten an X5 to save the money up front. I think I have upgraded everything that the X7 has stock over the X5. I do love the color though so is that worth the $100 price increase? Maybe so maybe not. You can't go wrong with any of them though, if they have your size in stock pull the trigger!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I posted earlier today about waiting for UPS. Well, it showed up this afternoon. Pretty impressed, I ordered it on Saturday, shipped on Monday and arrived today, Wednesday. I threw it together, went together easy. As seen in the pic, I had to re-route the cables, not sure what they were thinking with the routing they did. Pretty easy task if you have done it before. Took it out for a quick spin around the neighborhood, gotta play with tire pressure and clothing, it was 0 degrees F and snowing with a foot of new on the ground. Pretty fun, looking forward to seeing what it can do on trail tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boris report....-img_20141112_152202_nopm_.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I just ran mine around the proper way, I dunno why they did them the way they did. Love the white though that's my favorite color

mtbr member
    That white does look good. Congrats.

mtbr member
    This is great stuff, folks! Love seeing all these new Boris' and your different interpretations of what a Boris should look like. I was in the camp of buying the cheapest (x5) since I knew I'd be swapping most of the bits anyways, plus I loved the indigo frame.

My brother was visiting with me for the day on Monday, and he ended up ordering himself a Boris too: an X7! Woohoo! Glad to hear about the vee8s being acceptable for snow. I had my devist8er UL's ordered before my fatbike, since those "big adventures" looked so desperate (they were even worse in person!) but he was hoping to stay with the stock tires on the x7. Sounds like he'll be okay.

Meanwhile, I got my first snow ride in on Sunday. After I dropped the pressure a bit, it did much better. I was somewhere in the 6-8 psi range, on the devist8er ULs with no rubber rim liners (pulled em for weight savings), yellow rim strips, and Q-tubes (the 2 inch version). No flats yet. Not sure if pulling the rubber liners was a bad idea or not, but those suckers are heavy.

We got more snow after my ride but the temp dropped a lot, so I haven't gotten back out since. I did find the stock bar a bit narrow, so I robbed the 750mm off my Heckler. I'm going to get a gold one to match the accents eventually, but it works for now.

I did a quick go-pro edit just for grins. Here's the silly result... Complete with color clashing handlebar. Bahahah.

Here Comes the Fattest Bike in Town - YouTube

Lol. Couldn't resist the music.

Cheers
    Phil
    2013 Santa Cruz Heckler
    2007 Jamis Dragon

Boris Fat on Facebook

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Lol nice video. I'm jealous I want some snow here. I like the bars I think you should keep them on there.

mtbr member
    Just ordered these for my Black X7
    Wellgo C266 - Wellgo C266 Mountain Bike Flat Platform Pedals Red 115 Grams | eBay
    Boris report....-201405071101221.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I finally got my Boris out on the SNOW!! It didn't disappoint. It's stupid cold here (-2 degrees when I rode), but I still had a blast. Suddenly, I love winter.

We got somewhere around 3-4 inches on the trails, and the bike just ate it up.

Boris report....-fatsnow1.jpg

Hard to tell from the pic below, but this was a super steep, rutted descent, and the bike did great - had great traction the entire time.

Boris report....-fatsnow2.jpg

Fun!

Boris report....-fatsnow3.jpg

Rest break. I'm really happy with this bike!

Boris report....-fatsnow4.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    My search fu stinks... Does anyone have the weight of the x7 Lasco GOX crank and bottom bracket? I'm trying to decide if it's worth a SRAM x5 crank upgrade.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I did weigh it against my fs's x5 crankset and they were about the same.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Weight is about the same, but quality is a night and day difference. The Lasco was getting sloppy after about 150-200 miles...I don't regret installing the X5 crankset & BB at all.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yeah its not the best.. But I'm gonna keep riding it til it's bad.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    This is great stuff, folks! Love seeing all these new Boris' and your different interpretations of what a Boris should look like. I was in the camp of buying the cheapest (x5) since I knew I'd be swapping most of the bits anyways, plus I loved the indigo frame.

My brother was visiting with me for the day on Monday, and he ended up ordering himself a Boris too: an X7! Woohoo! Glad to hear about the vee8s being acceptable for snow. I had my devist8er UL's ordered before my fatbike, since those "big adventures" looked so desperate (they were even worse in person!) but he was hoping to stay with the stock tires on the x7. Sounds like he'll be okay.

Meanwhile, I got my first snow ride in on Sunday. After I dropped the pressure a bit, it did much better. I was somewhere in the 6-8 psi range, on the devist8er ULs with no rubber rim liners (pulled em for weight savings), yellow rim strips, and Q-tubes (the 2 inch version). No flats yet. Not sure if pulling the rubber liners was a bad idea or not, but those suckers are heavy.

We got more snow after my ride but the temp dropped a lot, so I haven't gotten back out since. I did find the stock bar a bit narrow, so I robbed the 750mm off my Heckler. I'm going to get a gold one to match the accents eventually, but it works for now.

I did a quick go-pro edit just for grins. Here's the silly result... Complete with color clashing handlebar. Bahahah.

Here Comes the Fattest Bike in Town - YouTube

Lol. Couldn't resist the music.

Cheers
    Phil
    Nice ride. I was wondering how does ordering from BD and importing to Canada work? From the website, they only ship within US. Did you get it shipped to a depot in Montana and picked up in person from there?
    2018 RSD Middlechild
    2010 Giant STP SS

mtbr member
    The above question isn't directed at me but I'll add my experience - I had it shipped to Myus.com who then forwarded it to my doorstep in Ontario.

If you're close enough to the border and have time I'd recommend finding a place close to the border stateside to ship it to and then drive down to pick it up.

I didn't have time to pick it up in the US so used Myus (was BD's recommendation), which I foolishly didn't realize is in Florida, so their cost to ship it to CA was ~300$.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by rocklax View Post
    My search fu stinks... Does anyone have the weight of the x7 Lasco GOX crank and bottom bracket? I'm trying to decide if it's worth a SRAM x5 crank upgrade.

Thanks.
    Keep a check on the tension bolt on the lasco cranks. I almost lost my crankarm on the trail. Tightened it down and it lasted another ride or two before loosening again. I almost bought an x5 but went with an x9 because of a smoking deal that brought it close to the same price of the x5.

Fossil
    Keep a check on the tension bolt on the lasco cranks. I almost lost my crankarm on the trail. Tightened it down and it lasted another ride or two before loosening again.
    Is the actual bolt that holds the crank loosening or the outer "bolt" that covers it? Am I right in guessing that the outer "bolt" is for self-extracting the crank? I just got my X7 btw.
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

Growing up sucks!

New question here. Frame Bag Size.

I've got a size large Boris the Brut reserved, scheduled for January arrival. I wanted to get my goodies in the meantime and I'm looking to pick up a Revelate frame bag. With the Boris' interesting tube bends, I'm not sure if I should go with the large or medium bag. Can anybody steer me in the right direction. Here's the pic of Revelate's dimensions... Name:  revelate-30-4.jpg
Views: 1203
Size:  24.0 KB
    Many thanks...SC

mtbr member
    The inner bolt that holds the arm to the crank.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I put some loctite on mine when I got it. Haven't had a problem. I always loctite the bolts.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    With the Lasco BB and crankset, was it the bearings or the spindle on the crank that showed wear?
    Last edited by Hardtale; 11-13-2014 at 08:07 PM. Reason: no quote for reference

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I lost the outer bolt anyone know where to buy one? The one from my gxp fits, but i can't find them separately.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    With the Lasco BB and crankset, was it the bearings or the spindle on the crank that showed wear?
    On mine it was the spindle, though I wasn't impressed with the quality of the bearings either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by AKtracks View Post
    On mine it was the spindle, though I wasn't impressed with the quality of the bearings either.
    I'm going to replace mine. What BB and crankset do you recommend?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I'm going to replace mine. What BB and crankset do you recommend?
    I got the SRAM X5 and like it. Decent price at Jensen.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Tips-Up View Post
    Tried to order 17" Boris X7, burnt orange today - sold out. Black is too. Other 3 colors appear available but are not my preference. X5 and X9 look out in 17" too. Hot bike, hope they restock soon!
    I'm with you, I also tried to order a 15" Boris X7, burnt orange on Monday and the order went through. I was stoked. But then unfortunately a day or so later I received an email saying they didn't have any in stock after all. I was so bummed, really wanted that burnt orange. All they had in the X7 in 15" was the ocean blue. They also didn't have any X5's or X9's. Wound up getting lucky and they found an X9 for me. Black wouldn't have been my choice in color, but it was that or nothing. Just glad Tracie at BD went the extra mile for me and found that X9. She was really nice. X9 is arriving Monday.

FYI. According to Tracie, another shipment of Boris's should be arriving in January. If I wasn't so much like a damn inpatient kid, I would have waited till then for my burnt orange

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Dang. I've been contemplating ordering a black or orange 17" X7 for awhile. Christmas present for myself. Guess it'll be another color or wait for the black or orange. Snooze you lose.

Anyone have pics of their bikes in the other colors?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    They don't have any more? huh I bought the orange x7 sunday.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    The drop down only lists 17" X7s in green, blue or lilac.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DDondero View Post
    The drop down only lists 17" X7s in green, blue or lilac.
    FYI..Even though the drop down shows them available, you have to actually add it to your cart to see what the inventory is. Might be in drop down, but still sold out. I learned that the hard way.

I was curious and just checked the Boris inventory to see if there were any 15" burnt orange shown in stock. If your color is sold out, probably won't see them again until January:

X5's:
    15": Sold out all 15", even though it show's one Pearl White
    17": Sold out all 17"

X7's
    17" X7's: only available in ocean blue or seafoam.
    15" Sold Out all color's
    19" Black and Burnt Orange
    21" Black and Burnt Orange

X9's:
    15": Only Silver available (I was told only 1 available)
    17": Sold Out All colors
    19": Sold Out
    21" Silver, Black

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by HImagor View Post
    They don't have any more? huh I bought the orange x7 sunday.
    HImagor, you lucked out. You must have gotten the last one. I ordered mine Monday but it was too late for the 15" burnt orange. Enjoy it, it's an awesome color! You must have received your bike today, how is it? I wound up getting the last 15" X9 in black and it will arrive Monday.

AHR
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by clark4131 View Post
    I've got a size large Boris the Brut reserved, scheduled for January arrival. I wanted to get my goodies in the meantime and I'm looking to pick up a Revelate frame bag. With the Boris' interesting tube bends, I'm not sure if I should go with the large or medium bag. Can anybody steer me in the right direction. Here's the pic of Revelate's dimensions... Name:  revelate-30-4.jpg
Views: 1203
Size:  24.0 KB
    Many thanks...SC
    Based on my bike's measurements (large X9), a large may fit if the top of the bag can bend along with the curved top tube. Otherwise, a medium should fit.

I hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Just got out for the first ride on my new bike. I have to say I'm not really a fat bike fan yet. I was hesitant in getting one, thinking I'd rather ski and put the bike away, seasons are good. I got peer pressured into buying one. I am impressed at the value of my Boris X5, for the money I think it's a great solid bike, no issues there. Except maybe the tires, hard to get any traction and blew out every turn, and that may be why I wasn't impressed with fat biking in general. Or maybe it was my expectations, I went out for my usual neighborhood singletrack ride and kept questioning whether I was having fun or not. Maybe skiing would be better? But I love riding bikes and there is still too much dirt showing in places to ski from my front door, whereas I can ride a bike right out the door.

So, I'm thinking of some better tires and have another go at it and see if that changes my opinion of fat biking..... thanks for reading. I know it's been covered but what's the best value for a good tire combo for the Boris in deep snow?

mtbr member

Boris report....

I have found that the in one floaters have been doing good for all types of terrain and traction has been good so far.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Wink

I have found that the in one floaters have been doing good for all types of terrain and traction has been good so far.

Ditto^^^^

I got mine from the UK, around $140 for the pair shipped. Planet-X USA has them for a bit more, colored ones for a bit less. Great tires for me. No self-steer at 9# PSI (tubeless), great traction in the snow and on the roads with packed snow/ice.

Don't ride it too much, you might be tempted to get a Boris X9 with Bluto

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by skogorbet View Post
    So, I'm thinking of some better tires and have another go at it and see if that changes my opinion of fat biking..... thanks for reading. I know it's been covered but what's the best value for a good tire combo for the Boris in deep snow?
    I honestly didn't love my X7 until I put new tires on it. I'm running Nate/Bud now and it made all the difference in the world to me. I know - YMMV and some people are fine with what came on it, but I'm relatively small and it was a handful to steer with the tires that came with it. For the record, this bike is still not going to ever replace my full suspension. But on snow, it's awesome...

Got out in the snow again yesterday - trails were all packed down from hikers so it was a lot faster than riding in fresh snow the other day.

Boris report....-flyingj3_2.jpg

I still LOVE this bike!! I'm amazed at the traction, and can't get over how much fun it is to get out there and ride miles in the snow.

Boris report....-flyingjride.jpg

It's snowing again today, so I'm looking forward to getting in a longer ride on it tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Just got out for the first ride on my new bike. I have to say I'm not really a fat bike fan yet. I was hesitant in getting one, thinking I'd rather ski and put the bike away, seasons are good. I got peer pressured into buying one. I am impressed at the value of my Boris X5, for the money I think it's a great solid bike, no issues there. Except maybe the tires, hard to get any traction and blew out every turn, and that may be why I wasn't impressed with fat biking in general. Or maybe it was my expectations, I went out for my usual neighborhood singletrack ride and kept questioning whether I was having fun or not. Maybe skiing would be better? But I love riding bikes and there is still too much dirt showing in places to ski from my front door, whereas I can ride a bike right out the door.

I have yet to have my tires wash out on me, maybe your running to high pressure. Or maybe you just need to slow down a bit
    2017 Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the advice.... I'm not giving it up yet, we'll see what new tires can do.

Stacers.... those pictures look like you could be somewhere near me... I'm in Nederland, CO.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Stacers.... those pictures look like you could be somewhere near me... I'm in Nederland, CO.
    Yup, just south of you in Evergreen... You probably get a lot more snow than us though!

mtbr member
    Don't give up in the tires until you play with the pressures.

mtbr member

Boris report....

Tires did fine, weakness was me! Quite the workout. First real snow ride as my boris got to me in April after the snow was gone.. Boris report....-imageuploadedbytapatalk1416098698.058430.jpgBoris report....-imageuploadedbytapatalk1416098743.966781.jpg

mtbr member

I'll be on ride number 4 tomorrow with my Boris and all I can say is play with the tire pressure (it's probably too high). These bike are great as long as you're at the right pressure. If you're out of range it's not much fun.
    ..now just tinker with our bikes and feed the cats. - oldbear52

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks again for all of the advice. I have the Big Adventures, they don't look very adventurous to me, hardly any tread. They do float though, that wasn't the issue, I had no traction. I started out at 10psi for the snowy road climb, when I hit the singletrack I lowered it to 6psi. Didn't seem to make much difference for traction, no side knobs for cornering or anything.

Gotta ride too fast or I'll get bored

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Hey guys, can any of you give me a heads up if Boris the Brut will be a worthy snow bike? What is the difference between the Brut and the x series? Is it just wider tires and moderately better components? Sorry guys i'm new to the fat game.

On a side note, is there any reason to give the Lurch any attention of the Brut? I'm just really liking the way the Brut looks but again, I'm super new to this fat bike game.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Apols if this has been covered already, but does anyone know what the "MECHANICAL BALL BEARING DISC BRAKE W/F:180MM,R:160MM ROTOR" are spec'd on the Boris X9 Bluto? Save up to 60% off new Fat Bikes and Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Boris X9 SRAM

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdurden View Post
    Hey guys, can any of you give me a heads up if Boris the Brut will be a worthy snow bike? What is the difference between the Brut and the x series? Is it just wider tires and moderately better components? Sorry guys i'm new to the fat game.

On a side note, is there any reason to give the Lurch any attention of the Brut? I'm just really liking the way the Brut looks but again, I'm super new to this fat bike game.
    The Boris Brut is a 190mm rear. It will fit wider tires and has a wider Q factor than the X series Boris (170mm). It also has hydraulic brakes and an aluminium fork. The X Boris have a steel fork and cable operated brakes. Drivetrain components are Shimano vs SRAM which is basically Nissan vs Toyota.

The Lurch is kitted similarly to the Boris X9, but has a steel frame, which I happen to prefer (mostly for aesthetic reasons).

The Lurch has shorter chainstays which many claim helps with climbing in poor traction. It has a shorter top tube which gives a bit different fit and it has a bit shorter wheelbase which (at least in theory) quickens the handling. It is also a bit heavier.

As to your original question about performance in snow, many here report good snow performance from their X Boris if they fit proper tires. The Brut should perform as well and comes with larger tires (Snowshoe). Unfortunately we don't have a lot of feedback on those tires yet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    you guys with the on one floaters....reviews seem to be positive overall. are you using these tires in snow as well? snowshoes look good but I don't think a 4.7 will fit on the boris.

mtbr member

Boris report....

Had good traction in the snow I was in. It wasn't the tire it bike that stopped me, it was me!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by thinkfuture View Post
    Apols if this has been covered already, but does anyone know what the "MECHANICAL BALL BEARING DISC BRAKE W/F:180MM,R:160MM ROTOR" are spec'd on the Boris X9 Bluto? Save up to 60% off new Fat Bikes and Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Boris X9 SRAM
    It's unlcear but the photos look like an Avid mechanical, which are usually good. For cold weather, usually superior to hydraulics. Brake levers are AVID FR5 ALLOY BLACK LEVER W/ALLOY BLACK CLAMP so I'm guessing Avid BB5 brakes.

Ordered mine last week, pretty excited. Going skiing today but wish I was biking instead! (something I never thought I'd say)

I plan on selling the Bluto and replacing with China carbon. Figure Bluto for $550, new fork $200, get total fat bike investment (up to this point...) under $1k.

Anybody interested in a yet-to-be-delivered Bluto?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Before you ride on snow/ice I recommend replacing the stock tires. I just rode my bike for the first time on snow and I could see where these tires could get somebody hurt really bad in slick stuff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody01 View Post
    Before you ride on snow/ice I recommend replacing the stock tires. I just rode my bike for the first time on snow and I could see where these tires could get somebody hurt really bad in slick stuff.
    I've been out numerous times since my maiden ride and it only gets better However, my rear tire did burp with the tubeless setup when it was -10 and I ended up walking several blocks. It could have been because the pressure probably dropped below 7 PSI (measured in the mud room temp of 35 deg F, ride was -10) Anyway, I am now riding with the front at 10 PSI and the rear at 11 PSI (to compensate for pressure drops due to the cold) with the On One floaters. Still excellent traction on ice/snow packed roads and trail riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Yes, with the On Ones. The stock tires are really scary on snow and ice. No traction at all.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Awesome! Thanks for the feedback. Since both the lurch and brut are on backorder till January and are selling for the same price im unsure which would suit me better. The bike will only be used in winter months when I can't take my downhill or XC bike out. Man, these fat bikes make me almost more excited than hitting the chairlift. I am really stoked to put one on order.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Which model/tire are you on Cody? Each X has it's own tire.

mtbr member
    Anybody replace their front qr axle and can recommend what they got?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    HImagor, you lucked out. You must have gotten the last one. I ordered mine Monday but it was too late for the 15" burnt orange. Enjoy it, it's an awesome color! You must have received your bike today, how is it? I wound up getting the last 15" X9 in black and it will arrive Monday.
    I got it friday and it was a blast on the single track by my house. The trails still had a little bit of crusty snow left from thursday.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Oh, sorry. I have the Vee Missions.[QUOTE=Tips

mtbr member
    Ordered a Sea Foam X7 17" over the weekend. It already has a tracking number as of 10:30AM today!

Read this entire forum and grateful for everyone's input!

Likely won't start upgrading until I ride it a couple times - but it certainly seems like new tires and tubes would be a great first start. I live outside Boston so Snow riding is an absolute "must."

mtbr member
    Anyone tried any of the chinese carbon forks? I built a Chiner 29er couple years ago and had great success with Xiamen Play and ICan Sports. They currently list carbon fat forks for around $100.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Went for my first snow ride today on the VEE H-Billie's front and rear. The snow was 4-5 inches deep and I was the first person to ride so there were no packed down areas at all. They did absolutely great, only time I lost traction was on the steepest sections of the trail. And I don't think anything short of a studded tire would have traction in these places. They shed snow great, as soon as I hit a paved road the snow would fly right off. I've never used a Bud/Lou or Snowshoe etc so I can't compare them to the dedicated snow tires, but I couldn't be happier with these H-Billies. I would recommend them to anyone that wants an all seasons tire and wants to spend less than $100/each.

Fossil
    Quote Originally Posted by juicetifer View Post
    I've never used a Bud/Lou or Snowshoe etc so I can't compare them to the dedicated snow tires, but I couldn't be happier with these H-Billies.
    Pressure? How's self steer with the H-Billies?
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

mtbr member

Boris report....

Boris report....-imageuploadedbytapatalk1416285767.602046.jpg

There is a boris in there... I promise!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mtmiller View Post
    Pressure? How's self steer with the H-Billies?
    I have run them at 8 lbs for the past couple months, with tubes. No self steer at all on the trail. Only time I've felt any is on the road when I let the pressure get low. I just stayed at 8 for the snow ride and it seemed to work great.

I completely understand not wanting to spend money on a brand new bike, or using things until they need replacing. But it literally rode like a different bike when I replaced the V8's with the H-Billie's. In all my years of upgrading components on every different bike I've had, new tires on this bike has probably made the biggest impact on how the bike rides over everything else. At least as far as bang for the buck goes. And I don't know if that is a compliment to the H-Billie's as much as it is saying the V8's really do suck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Finally got the replacement fork from BD. Once the old fork was off I could really see how bad it was. Steel tubing is kinked and there is a 3" long stress crack in the paint that if I stuck my fingernail if I could chip off the lifted paint. Glad I didn't waste time trying to have it straightened.

Ordering the rest of the new parts I want to replace and hopefully they'll come in quick and the bike be ready by the weekend. Bought the 120 tpi folding bead H-Billies (thanks juicetifer) which should drop pretty good amount of weight. Let you know how they work for me.

mtbr member

"Regular" tubes in Fat Bikes wheels?

My Boris X7 is scheduled to arrive on Friday. In the meantime, I'm "preparing..."

I went through my parts bin and found a lot of cool stuff that should lighten it up a pound or three (stem, handlebar, seatpost, saddle, brakes, brake levers). But, unfortunately, I have nothing for the wheels.

Can anyone comment on THIS? In that post, an Alaskan fat-biker and his friends give testimony about their use of "regular" tubes for fat bike wheels at a tremendous weight savings.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by connolm View Post

Can anyone comment on THIS? In that post, an Alaskan fat-biker and his friends give testimony about their use of "regular" tubes for fat bike wheels at a tremendous weight savings.
    They mention "q tubes SL" ( super light)
    I used them for a few years with great success(before going tubeless that is)
    once you go tubeless fat you never go back.

My wife just bought a Boris, and installing q tubes and new tires will be the first thing we do.
    FAT since 09.
    Fatties are year round bikes!

Fossil
    Quote Originally Posted by juicetifer View Post
    I have run them at 8 lbs for the past couple months, with tubes. No self steer at all on the trail. Only time I've felt any is on the road when I let the pressure get low. I just stayed at 8 for the snow ride and it seemed to work great.
    Thanks for that info. V8s might be better than Missions but they self steer plenty below about 10-11psi (on my gauge). I've heard the tread is rather narrow on the H-billie (not much wrap) but it sounds like the tire is working for you. Thanks again.
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

Fossil
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Hustler View Post
    They mention "q tubes SL" ( super light)
    I used them for a few years with great success
    Some folks have had issues with the SLs so I got the regular tubes in the 2.75" size. They are only about 30g heavier IIRC. I'm planning on adding few ounces of sealant to them. I figure I'll still be under the weight of the stock tube. This will hold me over until I go tubeless.
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

mtbr member
    Can anyone tell me the seat post diameter of the Boris?

Also, has anyone tried to run 29er wheels in it? I haven't seen that in this thread.
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

Fossil
    31.6mm
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

mtbr member
    I am using Specialized 2.3" - 3.0" tubes on my Spec. Fatboy. Those tires are a very wide 4.6" and I have had no issues. I saved myself at least a pound overall of rotating weight. I've been afraid to try the SL or superlights... :-)
    2015 Specialized FATBOY EC70 Seatpost & Bars SRAM X7/Wolf 42T 1x10
    2016 Specialized DIVERGE Expert X1 SRAM 1x11 Force

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Ordered Boris X7 Ocean Blue 17". It is waiting in Port Huron for me. It will be a couple of weeks before I can cross the border and pick it up. Question, can anyone comment on the hubs? Type of bearings? Etc. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    A Boris in it's natural habitat:

What I have to go through to get it there, lift that fat bottom to the roof. This is not always an easy task for a skinny guy, especially after riding for a couple hours:

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm running q-tube SL's in mine right now, running Nate/Bud for tires. So far, so good, even with a bigger tire on front. I'm mostly riding on snow, but have definitely taken it through some rockier sections with no problems, between 5-10 psi.

mtbr member
    Ditto^^^^

I got mine from the UK, around $140 for the pair shipped. Planet-X USA has them for a bit more, colored ones for a bit less. Great tires for me. No self-steer at 9# PSI (tubeless), great traction in the snow and on the roads with packed snow/ice.

Don't ride it too much, you might be tempted to get a Boris X9 with Bluto
    Boris report....-tyoo26fat_p1.jpg

I just ordered a set of floaters today at a slight discount.
    For those interested, you can get a pair of Black On One Floaters for $128 shipped to the USA from On-One Floater Fat Tyre | On - One
    With the discount code UKSTAFFWJA20

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I ordered a Boris X7 last Thursday night and it arrived this morning! I got it unboxed and did have a few issues. Both wheels and the right chain stay were scratched and the fork was badly bent. I email service and almost immediately got a response from Larry. I tried to straighten the fork as he requested, but was unable to get the fork straight and the wheel centered under the stem. He is sending me out a new fork and will be crediting me some money for the cosmetic damages. I am extremely happy with the service overall. Now I gotta go RIDE!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boris report....-img_0857.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Love that color. I'm bummed they're sold out. Will pull the trigger whenever they're available.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DDondero View Post
    Love that color. I'm bummed they're sold out. Will pull the trigger whenever they're available.
    I know what you mean. I so want a large ocean blue and their out. I guess a matte black is what it will be or should I go orange? New to fatbikes. Anyone have any suggestions/pointers?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I would have settled for the matte black or ocean blue too but they're sold out too!

mtbr member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TYOO26FAT_P1.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	940223

I just ordered a set of floaters today at a slight discount.
    For those interested, you can get a pair of Black On One Floaters for $128 shipped to the USA from On-One Floater Fat Tyre | On - One
    With the discount code UKSTAFFWJA20
    Hey thanks a lot for that, just snagged a pair. Have had my first two snow rides today and yesterday and had a couple sketchy moments while steering with the Vee Missions.

mtbr member
    got the matte black in 19". Stoked to try the fat bike out in the snow. What tires do you all recommend for snow as i hear the stock Vee 8 suck for snow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_o View Post
    Hey thanks a lot for that, just snagged a pair. Have had my first two snow rides today and yesterday and had a couple sketchy moments while steering with the Vee Missions.
    You are welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by cman8 View Post
    What tires do you all recommend for snow as i hear the stock Vee 8 suck for snow.
    On One Floaters, VEE Snowshoes 4.7 or Surly nates seem to be the ticket.
    I am sure some others will have good recommendations though.

See Boris report.... - Page 30- Mtbr.com for a discount on the Floaters.

The White Jeff W
    *sigh* Im in. 21" X9 in silver ordered. I like the black but I figured when the paint starts getting chipped up it wont show as much in silver.
    No moss...

mtbr member

Boris report....

Boris report....-imageuploadedbytapatalk1416631645.783167.jpg

Had to go out as we have rain scheduled for the rest of the week..
    Should have new derailleur here next week. Going with long cage this time... Less stress with the 40t dinner plate I have on the back!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    So here is a question I bet a lot of people either want to know, or never know to ask until its too late. I don't have a heated garage, or a large and easily accessible basement... after you guys take your bikes out into the snow, what (if any) steps are you taking to make sure they don't get rust, flash rust, or any other type of corrosion. I guess this is more of a question for those who also don't have heated garages or outside running water in the winter.... i don't want to use my new bike a few times and have it turn to complete chit...

mtbr member

Boris report....

I just keep it in the element or back of the truck. Clean drivetrain occasionally with soapy water to get grime off and lube chain as needed.
    Not the most thorough but it has worked so far!

mtbr member

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416631645.783167.jpg 
Views:	517 
Size:	319.9 KB 
ID:	940921

Had to go out as we have rain scheduled for the rest of the week..
    Should have new derailleur here next week. Going with long cage this time... Less stress with the 40t dinner plate I have on the back!

Rcksqrl if you dont mind me asking where did you get your fenders?

mtbr member

Boris report....

Sks grand mom rear and grand dad front. Boris report....-imageuploadedbytapatalk1416708564.300561.jpg
    Pict is if second set in garage. Didn't come with mount for front so couldn't use it. Did some horse trading for a new set.
    No complaints at all, like how it's mounted to the fork so turns with the tire keeping majority of moisture off me.

mtbr member
    IS there a reason it didnt come with hardware? do I need to adapt it somehow to the Boris? Looking to get these off REI as their on sale

mtbr member

Boris report....

Bought used, got both for less than the price of the rear. There are different size mounting hardware, what it came with didn't work for the boris! New they come with multiple sizes and work great! Removable quickly and good to go!

mtbr member
    cool. thanks. gonna get em.

mtbr member

Boris report....

Best manufactured fat fender I could find. (Reasonably priced) like the fact it turns with tire. Pdw mud shovel is nice but only deflects when tire is straight. Mostly)

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Has anyone had success in setting up the stock Boris wheels with Ghetto Tubeless? What method were you successful with and what pressure do you run?
    Thanks
    Ed

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Split tube works great. Search for "split", there are plenty of posts.

Fossil
    Re. tubeless, I've heard some say that there isn't much of a lip on the HL80 rims and some tires don't hang onto the bead well enough to make a good tubeless conversion. Confession: I haven't tried it yet myself... haven't even had the Vee 8s off yet.
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Re. tubeless, I've heard some say that there isn't much of a lip on the HL80 rims and some tires don't hang onto the bead well enough to make a good tubeless conversion. Confession: I haven't tried it yet myself... haven't even had the Vee 8s off yet.
    Search my recent posts regarding Vee Missions and On One floaters.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Just installed a new set of husker du 27tpi tires to replace the v8s on my x7 and couldn't be happier. Self steer is all but gone and they seem to have plenty of grip. Picked up the pair on eBay for just over$100 shipped too, great price and they are new!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I have heard the same thing. This causes them to burp at 8psi when ridden. Wondering if anyone was successful in doing the conversion and had ridden some miles on them set up that way.
    Ed

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Search my recent posts regarding Vee Missions and On One floaters.
    So have they held @ 10-11 psi with the split tube conversion?? No more unexpected burps?
    Ed

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by giff07 View Post
    So have they held @ 10-11 psi with the split tube conversion?? No more unexpected burps?
    Ed
    Yes, even at 8.5+

mtbr member
    Best manufactured fat fender I could find. (Reasonably priced) like the fact it turns with tire. Pdw mud shovel is nice but only deflects when tire is straight. Mostly)
    Thanks for the feedback, I just ordered one too.

mtbr member
    I can attest to the effectiveness of the Grand D.a.d. on my x7. I prefer the muds shovel rear fender to the M.o.m. due to shape and coverage. It fits under my rack too.

I never had luck with tubeless on the stock rims even with split tubes.

MidnightBroomstickCowboy
    Jun 2008
    My Vee8 split tube tubeless conversion +Stans on weinmann rims has worked fine. The Stans needs to settle across the tire and will take a day of riding to do so. Read through the previous posts for info on installation. Too many people keep asking for the same repeated information without researching. Make an effort.
    "As a true patriotic American, I blindly follow what my elected leaders tell me." - Jack English

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Put on Surly Nates and what a difference. No self steer and handled the snow with plenty of grip.

Boris report....-img-20141120-00412.jpg
    Boris report....-10690087_10152509078852916_6444188789011201898_n.jpg

mtbr member
    is that a matte black boris? How are you liking it?

mtbr member
    I got some nates also. hasnt snowed much here but am definitely excited to be riding this winter.

mtbr member

Boris report....

Couldn't afford nates..... Errre or didn't want to afford nates (more honest) and floaters have been doing well so far. (Looking at the long haul year round tire!)

mtbr member
    yeah I was debating between the nates and the floaters. The tan sidewall nates sold me so I got those. Will probably also buy some floaters next time around.

mtbr member

Boris report....

Wait till they go on sale... I almost bought some white floaters but.....

mtbr member
    hey on another note, I am thinking of also getting some pogies for the boris, do you like the bar mitts? I was looking at the cobrafist and seem those get pretty warm and toasty from what Ive read

mtbr member

Boris report....

Last winter I didn't ride with mitts,stayed in around 30 degree weather with glove liners and did well. Am able to ride in 13 degree weather with mechanics gloves (cheap harbor freight version) and have my hands sweating. I'm pleased with the bar mitts. Currently around 40 so more than needed, will wear summer gloves or remove them Till it cools back down.

mtbr member

Got my Boris

Got my Boris X7 yesterday. Bike arrived okay despite the box looking quite beat up.

This is my second Motobecane bike. This bike requires quite a more "setup" out of the box than my previous Outcast. That's fine as I'm a tinkerer...

My initial thoughts (without having ridden it yet):

It's heavy but balanced.
    The seatpost, seatpost clamp, and saddle are garbage.
    The Lasco crank seems much nicer than I expected.
    The derailleurs seem really nice! My last new bike was almost five years ago - so the new tech is impressive.
    The front derailleur is moved out away from the frame by a black metal billet. It's ugly but necessary I suppose.
    Stem seems a bit short (size 17").
    The trigger shifters are both "thumb-push" rather than "index-finger-pull". That's odd for me.

My biggest concern: The rims are drilled. The drill holes are NOT smoothed. In the picture below, you can see the rough edge and metal burrs. About half the holes have these metal burrs.

Think they'll cause flats? Worth dismantling and filing smooth?

Boris report....-1124142103a.jpg

mtbr member

Boris report....

I wouldn't worry about it (personally) until you decided to dismount tires or you just have time to do it. Would I deburr them yes, but I would wait until I had to

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cman8 View Post
    is that a matte black boris? How are you liking it?
    I really like the matte black. It looked a little plain with just the white wheel liners, but changed to a lime green and it looks great.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I wouldn't worry about it (personally) until you decided to dismount tires or you just have time to do it. Would I deburr them yes, but I would wait until I had to

Agreed, the screws for the spokes were really rough on mine, like, potentially cut your finger rough, but even the thin colored rim strips which are primarily cosmetic weren't affected. My cutouts are pretty rough to the touch too, but I don't really see it being an issue beyond a bit of an eye sore.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Zed 71 View Post
    I really like the matte black. It looked a little plain with just the white wheel liners, but changed to a lime green and it looks great.
    You mean like this?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    You mean like this?
    Yes! Your bike looks sharp .

mtbr member

Relaxing while I clear a fallen tree from the trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zed 71 View Post
    Yes! Your bike looks sharp .
    Where did you get the green rim strips?

mtbr member
    Nvm. Found the answer

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    This thread is killin me! I missed out on ordering a 17" X7 and the mtns are getting snow.

Have fun with the new ride!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    You mean like this?
    Just out of curiosity, what kind of handlebars and degree of stem do you have? Seems like it allows you to sit more straight up? That's what I'm looking for.

mtbr member

Just out of curiosity, what kind of handlebars and degree of stem do you have? Seems like it allows you to sit more straight up? That's what I'm looking for.
    Truvativ Aka 60mm stem with a 5deg rise and On-one Mary bars. I just switched to a carbon riser bar on my last ride and already like it more.

mtbr member

The Wait .... Continues

Happy Birthday Me! Wife ordered me a Bluto equipped X9.

Now I feel more for the NightTrain/Sturgis guys, twiddling my thumbs waiting for my bike to ship.

mtbr member
    Boris report....-1513741_405397382947783_8320913496638544986_n.jpg

First snow of the year and was able to get a short ride in....then I got a flat tire.
    2017 Surly Ogre

mtbr member

More on my first 24 hours with a new Boris X7...

Here's how it arrived:
    Boris report....-1124141950a.jpg

And then unpacked. That color is called sea foam.
    Boris report....-1124141953e.jpg

Mine came with the same routing issue everyone else is reporting. The front derailluer cable was mis-routed. I pulled the grip off, loosened the shifter, passed it through the frame, and re-assembled. Pulling the grip off was quite a pain.
    Boris report....-1124142019.jpg

Assembled X7 17" bike weighs 36.07 lbs without pedals.
    Boris report....-1125141946.jpg

I used my torque wrench to get all the bolts snug. Most settings are indicated on the part. 5Nm is a good guess when in doubt.

Some parts weights:

Inner tube: 455 grams
    Stem: 142 grams (90 mm)
    Seatpost clamp: 50 grams
    Saddle and seatpost: 761 grams (eeeh gad!)

I will weigh more as the need requires.

The rear derailleur required significant tuning. The wheels could use a good trueing. The front brake disc is significantly out of "true." I used the business card "trick" to get the brakes setup. Having several bikes with BB7s, I can tell you these BB5 brakes are not nearly as easy for setup.

I bought a cheap, low-pressure tire gauge from NAPA. To use it, I also use a presta-schrader adapter. Tires are pumped up to 13 psi. They feel really stiff.

Boris report....-1126141826.jpg

Hopefully I'll get a brief chance to ride it tomorrow. Time is tight right now with the holiday.

I have some Qtubes SL inner tubes on order from Niagara Cycles. I also have a carbon bar and much lighter seatpost collar coming soon. I have a carbon seatpost and saddle in my parts bin that alone will shed one pound! Hopefully with minimal mods and <$100, I can drop 2-3 pounds!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    It's possible you have the last 17" Boris that was available. I debated on the SeaFoam but decided to wait for the burnt orange or matte black. Whenever that'll be...

mtbr member
    Replaced the stock Vee Missions with On One Floaters and man, what a difference. Feels like a new ride. (well five rides in it is a new ride regardless lol but you get my point).

No self steer, even at high pressure on pavement. The sense of control is vastly improved.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    You had self steer at high pressure? That's terrible. I only experience self steer at really low psi on hard surfaces with the Devist8ers. If the missions are that bad, thats really bad.

mtbr member
    Jumped out of bed early and ran into basement to fiddle with my Boris. Within ten minutes, my wife was standing at the basement steps, hands-on-hips, asking, "What the hell are you doing?" (For non-Americans, today is a big holiday!)

I did get a chance around noon to go for ten minutes and circumnavigate the neighborhood. I now understand "self-steer." It's crazy evident when turning. The bike wants to dive into the turn and the wheel (bar) becomes unresponsive. It's almost gyroscopic.

Tires are the stock Vee 8s pumped to 13 psi.

Plannning a big ride tomorrow. We'll see how it goes. Planning on taking my tire gauge and pump for on-the-fly adjustments.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    You had self steer at high pressure? That's terrible. I only experience self steer at really low psi on hard surfaces with the Devist8ers. If the missions are that bad, thats really bad.
    Correct.

mtbr member
    Time for a picture. Please ignore the awkward gearing.

Currently upgraded to the following parts:

On One Floaters
    Saint pedals
    Easton havoc stem and carbon fiber bar
    ODI Troy lee grips
    Cheap rear blinky

Seat will be next since I have multiple spares, and if I can figure out how to get my 30.9 dropper post on there that will be great.

mtbr member
    Funny - I have a carbon 30.9 seatpost in my parts bin ready to go too!

Look up "beer can shim" and tell me if you believe it. (I'm on the fence.) Supposedly you can use a sliver of beer can to shim up the post.

mtbr member
    Jumped out of bed early and ran into basement to fiddle with my Boris. Within ten minutes, my wife was standing at the basement steps, hands-on-hips, asking, "What the hell are you doing?" (For non-Americans, today is a big holiday!)

I did get a chance around noon to go for ten minutes and circumnavigate the neighborhood. I now understand "self-steer." It's crazy evident when turning. The bike wants to dive into the turn and the wheel (bar) becomes unresponsive. It's almost gyroscopic.

Plannning a big ride tomorrow. We'll see how it goes. Planning on taking my tire gauge and pump for on-the-fly adjustments.
    You have a mean wife, put 14 miles in today.
    2017 Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    Yeah I was pretty close to attempting that today but didn't. I will likely try this tonight or tomorrow, will report back how it goes.

mtbr member

I got home last night in time to take a drive 3hrs away to my inlaws. Before I left I got this and just had to throw on the front to see what it looks like. So excited to get back now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

I replaced the v8s with a set of husker dus and the self steer is night and day better...27tpi were on eBay beer for $105 after shipping for the pair.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Love my Boris X5 so far. Swapped out the tires for Floaters (came with Vee Big Adventures which were pretty terrible). Going to swap out the brakes over the summer. First fat bike I've ever had and I'll never go without one again!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    jenson USA has carbon forks for $349 weighing in at 2 pounds. Does anyone know the fork weight of the boris forks and is it worth $350 for whatever weight difference it is or will it not be noticed because the bike is such a tank?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Well, I just pulled the trigger on a Bluto. Guess I will be the first one to convert one of these. We'll see how it goes. Got it from Merlin for $460 shipped.

mtbr member

That's not bad for the bluto. I saw maddogcycles.com had them for 548 free shipping. They also have other things on sale too

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by saliva2002 View Post
    Does anyone know the fork weight of the boris forks
    my fork is off i'll weigh it later today.

Bluto. for $460 shipped.
    Nice! Please report back how the conversion goes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Well, I just pulled the trigger on a Bluto. Guess I will be the first one to convert one of these. We'll see how it goes. Got it from Merlin for $460 shipped.
    What hub will you be using? Are you going to use the stock rim and spokes?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I'm letting the Knicker Biker pick the hub and I think he is using new spokes on the same rim. He said he could do it for the price of spokes, $80ish for hub, and labor. I decided to go for it.

mtbr member

A little update on my Boris..

I had a spare headset kicking around, a token zero stack with cartridge bearis, so I removed the stock VP caged ball bearings and swapped in the token.

No performance difference expected, I just figure less maintenance down the road. And the gold looks pretty fancy schmancy too...
    2013 Santa Cruz Heckler
    2007 Jamis Dragon

Boris Fat on Facebook

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsukuni View Post

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	131.7 KB 
ID:	942443

No performance difference expected, I just figure less maintenance down the road. And the gold looks pretty fancy schmancy too...
    It does look nice. Cheers.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast