Anyone know if this crank

Sram Gx Fat 1000 Gxp Crankset, 10-Speed, 175mm, Black, 94mm, Bcd 34-22T

and this BB

SRAM GXP English 100mm Team Cups for Fat Bike Crank

would be a direct fit?
    Which Boris do you have?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Boris x7. (I mistakenly said x5 a few posts back)

Bought in Nov 2014 which I suspect is the second generation (does not have the rear wheel slide outs people have mentioned.
    ..now just tinker with our bikes and feed the cats. - oldbear52

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_o View Post
    Boris x7. (I mistakenly said x5 a few posts back)

Bought in Nov 2014 which I suspect is the second generation (does not have the rear wheel slide outs people have mentioned.
    Ok, the X7 has a 170mm rear hub so that SRAM BB and Crankset you indicated will work.

If you had a 190/197 rear hub, the crank arms wouldn't clear the chainstays.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tavic View Post
    Ok, the X7 has a 170mm rear hub so that SRAM BB and Crankset you indicated will work.

Hey that is greatly appreciated, thank you so much.

It was the 94mm measurement listed on the crank that I didn't understand since the BB is 100mm. What does the 94mm refer to?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Hey that is greatly appreciated, thank you so much.

It was the 94mm measurement listed on the crank that I didn't understand since the BB is 100mm. What does the 94mm refer to?
    I have no idea. Where'd you find that spec?

mtbr member
    I have no idea. Where'd you find that spec?

Right here

https://www.niagaracycle.com/categor...bottom-bracket

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Ok, that is in reference to the chainring mounting, 94mm BCD (Bolt Circle Diameter). Whoever posted it put the comma in the wrong spot.

mtbr member
    Ok, that is in reference to the chainring mounting, 94mm BCD (Bolt Circle Diameter). Whoever posted it put the comma in the wrong spot.

Again, greatly appreciated my friend, thank you very much for the help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Tagging on here to the crankset question:

Looking at removing my 2015 Santa Cruz 5010 crankset that came with a SRAM S1000 GXP crankset 2x10 which I converted to an Absolute Black 28t oval and bash guard (keeping the original crank arms).

I'd like to transfer this set up to my Boris x7 and replace the Lasco cranks & BB. May go with the single ring/bash guard or stay 2x10 but not sure about the BB mostly.

I've been measuring a researching and it looks like I could transfer the full crankset and bb straight over from my 5010 to the Boris?

Not a 100% sure so I thought I'd see if anyone here knows or has done something similar.

mtbr member
    Anyone service these generic hubs? Any advice? Was hoping to find a new wheel set for a decent price but at this point it's looking like I might use these for another season and they spin pretty rough.

mtbr member
    Anyone service these generic hubs? Any advice? Was hoping to find a new wheel set for a decent price but at this point it's looking like I might use these for another season and they spin pretty rough.
    I was unable to service them. Shop couldn't disassemble the rear hub so i replaced with a used salsa that could be serviced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I was in the same boat as Rcksqrl. I took a chance and bought some hubs here

BikeHubStore.com

Turns out these hubs are actually really good quality. My LBS where surprised at how cheap I got them and said they compared to much more expensive brands.

mtbr member
    So the front hub was easy to take apart and service but admittedly didn't fix the 'crunchy' rolling feeling.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Hubs are serviceable so far as the bearings go. Brake side nuts come off and axle slides out. Bearings stock are bad quality, mine were slightly pitted. New bearings and grease make everything better.

mtbr member
    ^ Any idea what the bearing size is?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Should be 1/4", fronts are typically 3/16.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckster View Post
    Should be 1/4", fronts are typically 3/16.
    Appreciated.

mtbr member
    Questions on the Boris X9, and how people like/dislike?

I am looking at a used Framed 2.0 ($525) and a used Boris X9 ($550). Both in mint condition it seems. My first big question would be stock, what is the better spec for spec bike? Based on what I can find online it seems the Boris, but not 100% sure.

The Boris also has a few upgrades (Carbon bars, KHS fork and 45 North tires). The Framed is stock.

I am looking for a winter fun/summer fun fat bike. I just bought a SC 5010 full suspension (still need to go get it) so I also don't want to break the bank, hence the used world.

The Boris is a M, I am 5' 10" so I am first wondering if that will be to small or not? In the FS world I felt to big for my Med. Trek Fuel, but felt to small on a Specialized SJ L. The SC, L felt perfect. I have read Boris runs "bigger" that others... or well BD says "5'8" to 5'11' tall" for the medium. Peoples thoughts about this?

Also, compared to the Framed, what is the better buy? Will I be happy with the Boris as a winter banger bike/summer fun?
    '17 Santa Cruz Bronson 2 A S
    '17 Trek Farley 7

mtbr member
    IMO, the boris is better. The bottom bracket on the framed bike is a neco unit, while the boris has an x5. Not that the x5 is amazing, but better than neco. bb7 brakes are hands down winners over the bb5. Almost twice the brake surface area. The drivetrain is better on the boris, but the framed bike is still file. Both will work equally well,but if you want to go 1x10 in the future, easier on the boris. Only bad thing about the boris was the tires, and it sounds like that's been resolved. If the seller still has the old tires, I'd get them too though. They are actually pretty good on dry dirt. miserable in the snow though.

Size wise, I'd say the medium will be fine. I'm 6'5" and ride an XL (obviously), but with a fat bike and a longer seatpost, I can easily ride a medium just as easily. Those big wheels make the bike feel a size larger.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Question for anyone who installed the Chinese carbon fork mentioned frequently here - did you have to downgrade your front brake rotor to a 160mm? My stock 180 wouldn't fit, but a spare 160 appears to be a perfect fit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Question for anyone who installed the Chinese carbon fork mentioned frequently here - did you have to downgrade your front brake rotor to a 160mm? My stock 180 wouldn't fit, but a spare 160 appears to be a perfect fit.
    There's a spacer kit that's available to size up to a 180.
    https://www.amazon.com/Avid-Post-Mou...3VNSMFMQPG56JG
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

mtbr member
    Interesting. I was tempted to make something like this but decided against it. Have you personally used these?

Thanks for the link!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Interesting. I was tempted to make something like this but decided against it. Have you personally used these?

Thanks for the link!
    Yes, I have it on my 2014 Boris X9.
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

mtbr member
    Interesting. I was tempted to make something like this but decided against it.
    I've used spacers and bolts from the hardware store, and if you don't get the $$ stainless steel stuff, it will rust on you. Sometimes, worth the cost to buy the right parts from the bike shop (which really doesn't cost any more than buying the good parts from a hardware store). This spacers are for post mount though. I don't remember if the carbon fork mentioned a lot here is a post mount or ISO mount, but if it's ISO mount, get the avid 180mm adapter bracket. Only costs about $7, and worth it to have the right adapter rather than trying to make the 160mm adapter work.

mtbr member
    Mechanical Dropper internal routing ?
    I just bought a 2018 Boris the brut for winter riding here in Mass.
    While waiting for delivery I've been getting parts together for upgrades.
    The specs say the frame is set up for internal routing. I'm not knocking Bikes Direct but the discription is somewhat criptic.
    Anyone have this bike ?? Is the frame set up for internal dropper routing?
    Motobecane 2018 Boris The Brut Complete Fat Bikes with Mulefut Tubeless Comp. Wheelsets Shimano M7000 SLX, Fat Bikes, Mountain Bikes
    Thank you
    Dan

mtbr member
    May 2015

You sure on that? I've got the SRAM crankset on my X7 and there appears to be a LOT of room for extra chainstay width.

And BTW, the SRAM BB and Crankset is not without its own set of issues. Keeping the right side cover/inner bearing seat in place can be an issue. Sorry to say it was for me, but O-rings between the cover and the chainwheel "fixed" it (for now). The crank does not ride on bearing, but rides on the a plastic tube created by the bearing dust cover. You can get bearings of the proper size though, as well as use other dust covers after that. But why? Gotta be a better way!

mtbr member
    Boris report....-img_20180114_140338.jpg

When I bought Boris 2.5 years ago he weighed in at a whopping 37lbs. Today after a steady diet of modest upgrades over time he comes in at a svelte 28.75 lbs. Nothing stock but the headset at this point.

Hoboy Carbon fork ($200ish)
    Origin 8 AT-60's with fatty stripper tubeless set up with Bling Strips ($240)
    Jumbo Jim 4.0's (obtained in a trade for tools I won)
    Deore brakes and rotors (parts bin)
    XT 1x10 drive (parts bin)
    Raceface ride stem and bars ($40?)
    Ritchey comp seatpost with PS adapater ($30?)
    WTB Pure V saddle (parts bin)
    Sram GX cranks, ring, bb ($130)
    Kalloy seat post clamp ($5)
    Deore SPDS (parts bin)

The narrower rims and JJ tires make a world of difference. It's a lot more nimble now and less of the monster truck feel. Of course it's not going to be as great in super soft conditions but for my uses this bike rips now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks for posting about your changes. Tell me about those wheels. I have been looking at them and was curious about the quality of the hubs. Are they an upgrade over the current ones?
    It's all good!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Wow - I really like what you've done and glad you shared that. I'm in the same process right now so it's good to hear how much you've shaved off in pounds.

So far I've replaced the handlebar (went w/740mm), seat post (Race Face Ride w/shim and new clamp), saddle (WTB rocket).

I've got the Sram GX cranks and GXP 100mm BB coming. I'm hoping to keep the rear Sram stock cassette and convert to a 1x10 that way right now (need to probably shorten the chain).

Next I'll look in the wheel set, fork, and brakes. This is mostly my winter bike but it's my first fat bike and I'm getting used to it all.

mtbr member
    So I once had a cheap set of unbranded 29er wheels that came with origin 8 hubs. I expected very little of them but they actually turned out to be pretty good. Had 32 POE with a nice deep click sound..i was hoping these would be the same but they aren't. These are the same engagement as the stock, however, they are sealed and spin a little smoother. I would say they are an upgrade in that they are sealed and the qr's they come with are nicer. The major upgrade is the weight savings. For 200 bucks to lose about 1.5 lbs of rolling weight is incredible. Keep in mind going to the narrower rim will affect the profile of the tire noticeably. I probably wouldn't put anything bigger than a 4.0 on the 60s. If the majority of your riding is in snow or soft conditions I'd probably stick with 80s. For trail riding though the 60's are a blast and will still get me through winter. (I'm considering keeping the stock wheels and getting a bigger front tire for snow conditions but we'll see)

The cranks aren't much of a weight savings but the bb is much, much better. I opted to go with 170's also to reduce the number of pedal strikes. I think the chainline is also better with the 1x gx instead of the stock 2x cranks.

I guess it depends on which Boris you buy but on any of the lower end ones the first thing to upgrade should definitely be the tires. Tires make all the difference on these bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Most of my riding is trail riding rather than snow riding. We don't generally get enough snow to worry about dedicated snow riding gear (of course, it is snowing today LOL). And, if I wanted to, I could always pop the stock wheels back on for a snow ride. Thanks for the info on the wheels.

How much of a weight savings was the Sarma fork?

I already upgraded my tires to H Bellies. Much better than the Vee 8's that were on there.
    It's all good!

mtbr member
    I apparently didn't write it down where I normally do but I'm almost positive it was just shy of 2lbs. The sarma is 1.25lbs and I believe the stock steel was 3 or a little over 3. It's very noticeable when you go to lift the front end but the stiffness is a huge upgrade too. The steel used to flex and cause the brakes to shudder going dh.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I ended up ordering a set of those Origin8 wheels with the 60mm rims. FedEx says they will be here tomorrow but we will see. The weather has been screwing with everything around here. I am pretty excited to get those on and try them out.
    It's all good!

mtbr member
    Cool. Good luck with them. You definietly notice the weight savings but the tire profile also changes. I'm finding I like a little more air in them with the 60's

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Anybody interested in a set 29er wheels for their 135/170 Boris? I bought the set that BikesDirect offered a while back and I just have not used them. I was thinking about using them for commuting but I ended up doing that on a different bike. They are too narrow for 29+ use but fine for up to 2.2" I think. $50 plus actual shipping in the continental US. Includes quick releases but no discs or cassette. Send a direct message if you are interested.
    It's all good!

mtbr member
    Did you get the Origin 8 wheels yet? I got that set from bike island. I haven't used them much but they were pretty decent for the price. I use them if i have a need for a hybrid bike but for me that is not very often. I like being able to throw those wheels on instead of having another bike, but again, it's rare for me to ride anything but dirt.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I did get the Origin 8 wheels. They are definitely lighter and they look to be a higher quality than the stock ones. I like that they gave the H-Billies a slightly rounder profile. Unfortunately, I had a bunch of stuff to get done so other than a quick ride up and down the street, I have not had a chance to get out on them. That will change this weekend, one way or the other.
    It's all good!

mtbr member
    If you're really tall, BD has a few of their 21" boris X9 on sale for stupid cheap. No idea how many, but worth looking at if you're in the market. And really tall.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    For reference, I am 6'2" and I really like the way my 21" Boris fits.
    It's all good!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Just finished putting on the GXP BB and Sram GXP cranks with the 30t chainring as a single. Do I really need to shorten the chain a link or 2?

Seems to be working fine with the original cassette but just about everything I read about converting to 1x says I should shorten the chain.

Anyone else do this conversion on their x7 and shorten the chain?

mtbr member
    Possible upgrade time. Fat suspension
    Has anybody had any experience with the Whool or Pasak fat forks? I've seen a couple posts about the spring cartridge version with 28mm stanchions, but they seem to be the same as a suntour XCT. OK fork, but a little flexy under a clyde. There is a 32mm stanchion air cartridge version that I'm looking at. If you have one (or want to buy one and be a test dummy), speak up. Here's a link to one of them, but there are other sellers out there.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Kalo...796974016.html
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N1JX29B

cross posted to a couple of the other non-lbs fatbike discussions.

mtbr member
    May 2015

Boris NX1 Bluto

upload images for free
    So I just got this tiday, finished the setup, everything is looking good... Got out for a ride and did some singletrack and road riding. About 7 miles total.

The geometry is different than what I'm used to, but I liked it a lot. I'm 5'11" and this is a 17in frame, which on the sizing guide says should be good for 5'8" to 6'. I feel like the seatpost is very close to the extension I want but im afraid to go farther with the stock post. Should I have gotten a bigger frame or just get a longer seatpost?

I felt good on the bike and standover was good.. maybe I'm just not used to the way the geometry feels.

Any suggestions on a longer/better seatpost?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 218traverse View Post
    upload images for free
    So I just got this tiday, finished the setup, everything is looking good... Got out for a ride and did some singletrack and road riding. About 7 miles total.

The geometry is different than what I'm used to, but I liked it a lot. I'm 5'11" and this is a 17in frame, which on the sizing guide says should be good for 5'8" to 6'. I feel like the seatpost is very close to the extension I want but im afraid to go farther with the stock post. Should I have gotten a bigger frame or just get a longer seatpost?

I felt good on the bike and standover was good.. maybe I'm just not used to the way the geometry feels.

Any suggestions on a longer/better seatpost?
    I went with a 400 mm Thudbuster, and also a Dropper Post that was 400mm. I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam and the stock post was too short on a small frame. Lots of options out there.

I'm of the school where the smallest/lightest tool that does the job is the one that i want.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Good call, I have a Cane Creek shim and a Raceface Turbine 400mm seatpost arriving tomorrow. Going to install and see how it goes. The extra 50mm should get me where I want to be. Did you find a 30.4mm dropper post or use a shim?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 218traverse View Post
    Good call, I have a Cane Creek shim and a Raceface Turbine 400mm seatpost arriving tomorrow. Going to install and see how it goes. The extra 50mm should get me where I want to be. Did you find a 30.4mm dropper post or use a shim?
    I have both the first year Boris with 31.6 (so no need for a shim) and the 2nd year model with the 30.4 with a cane creek shim (27.2). Both work fine. 50mm too short of a seat post is not kind to your knees. Good luck with that. On a side note there are now some options for 450mm posts too.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I think the 400mm should work just fine, odd choice of a seatpost size though at 30.4mm. Went with a 27.2 shim.

mtbr member
    May 2015

Anyone still here...?

Finished version, for now. 17in Boris frame with a 120mm Bluto RL. Shimano 180mm hydraulic brakes, SRAM NX drive group, Wellgo MG-1 pedals, Raceface Turbine seatpost w/ Cane Creek shim, Bontrager Rougarou 3.8 rear tire, Bontrager Barbegazi 4.7 front tire (not installed yet), Raceface Chester stem, Nukeproof Horizon Carbon 780mm bars, Raceface Grippler lock on grips. Insanely fun and actually pretty nimble on singletrack and trails.

I really like this thing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Still here. Was just out for a ride. Still really like the original Boris. It's an excellent singletrack bike.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Also still here... and loving the Boris X7

Recent problem was a strange creak. Couldn't tell if it was front, back, but definitely not from crank movement. After a few days of going nuts, turned out the spokes were creaking where they crossed each other. Drove me nuts. I literally "oiled" the spots where they crossed, and noise gone. Spoke tension seems ok, no riding issues whatsoever, just creakin' like an old rocking chair. I think they had surface crud from beach riding, even tho they're not rusty.

After years, only a few little problems. Back in this thread someplace, I described the crankset issue, with extra spacer that was not needed. Weird, but... proper tightening of the crank arm caused the spacer to push out the bearing from its pediculous spot on the right side. After ordering a new SRAM crankset, and waiting for its arrival, I used some super grade Locktite, squirreled out of an aerospace contractor in the Florida hinterlands, labeled only as "NASTY". The bearing seems to be permanently affixed, as literally untold hundreds of miles, and a few spills have not dislodged it.

Brakes upgraded to BB7's, along with new cables (and better routing up front). Jones Loop-H-Bar to hold onto. A rear rack with panniers made from military "courrier" pouches. A seat that doesn't kill my butt too badly, and a shotgun rack to hold my little (and legal) 6.5" pump Remington when called for.

That's about it. I'm to the point where I've just about worn out the original Vee8 tires. I ride about 25 miles a week on pavement, and take the X7 on the beach whenever I can.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    New to Fat Bikes and new to this Forum in general. I have been an avid “Roadie” for the past 48 years racing USCF Crits, Road Races, & TT in my younger years. Never was much interested in Mountain Bikes (no such thing when I started riding) but since moving to PA I thought it would be great to ride all winter, especially in the snow, hence the move to Fat Bikes.

Purchased a Boris NX1 Bluto last month. Initially I thought it was a lot of fun but some changes needed to be made before I could say I love it. The first thing that had to go were the truly crappy wheels. The stock front hubs don’t even have real bearings, just some kind of goofy bushings and the rear hubs had ball bearings that were so poorly adjusted that they had huge flat spots in the races. Tried to mount up tubeless tires and discovered the rims were so out of proportion the beads would not seat without doing some kind of ghetto mods. Swapped them out for a pair of 80mm Surly’s with “My Other Brother Daryl” rims. Mounted up a Vee Tire Bulldozer 4.7” up front and a Vee Tire Bulldozer 4.25” in the rear. Went with Surly’s nylon rim strips and light weight sealing tape instead of rubber and heavy duct tape. The wheel and tire swap to Tubeless alone dropped the bike’s weight by 2 1/4 lbs. Changed out the saddle for a Fizik Enduro, a lighter seat post & carbon fiber clamp dropping the weight by another 3/4 lbs. Went with Crank Brothers Eggbeater peddles for dry conditions but may use something different for the snow.

Now I love it but the Boris still has to split my riding time with my two Cervelo’ road bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018

Vee Snow Avalanche Studded 4.0 or 4.8?

I have the Boris FS NX and love it. Is there any chance of running a vee snow avalanche studded 4.8 in the rear? Or just the 4.0? If not, would the 4.8 work in the front with the Bluto?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by admiralAKBar View Post
    I have the Boris FS NX and love it. Is there any chance of running a vee snow avalanche studded 4.8 in the rear? Or just the 4.0? If not, would the 4.8 work in the front with the Bluto?
    The biggest tire I have been able to squeeze in the rear is a 4.25 Bulldozer so if I were you I would stick to a 4.0 The Bluto fork will handle a 4.8 easily.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by admiralAKBar View Post

It's not the lightest thing to get up the mountain, but its a blast to ride down over the rock gardens and creeks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boris report....-img_8238.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDogDan View Post
    Boris NX1 Bluto.....truly crappy wheels... stock front hubs don’t even have real bearings, just some kind of goofy bushings and the rear hubs had ball bearings that were so poorly adjusted that they had huge flat spots in the races.... Tried to mount up tubeless tires and discovered the rims were so out of proportion the beads would not seat without doing some kind of ghetto mods.
    Interesting. My X7 has ball bearings up front and rear. Adjustment wasn't great up front, but the back was/is fine. Not too thrilled with the "dust-cover/seal" on 'em but they've held up well, so I can't complain too badly.

Not totally sure about your particular combination, but getting "some" tubeless tires, on "some" rims can be a real bear. Heck, getting tubed tires to seat on some rims is a bear. FWIW, the Vee-8 tires on the X7 are usually a two to three attempt affair to get 'em to seat the bead.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Might replace hubs like you did cman8 but wondering if you (or anyone following this thread) would know if I could use a Sunrace CSMX3 10 speed wide range cassette I have in place of the stock SRAM PG1030 10 speed cassette that came on it?

It's coming off my trail bike so I wondered if hub size was an issue?

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 253132333435