Borealis / Turnagain rear hub bearing service question please??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Borealis / Turnagain rear hub bearing service question please??

Borealis / Turnagain rear hub bearing service question please??-rear-hub.jpg

Overhauling my Echo and somebody last week gave me a great idea on a bottom brkt decision I was struggling with and that situation ended up working out great so I thought I'd try to go 2 for 2.

I'm just down to this non drive side bearing on my Borealis Echo rear hub I can't get out...this is the newer design (red freehub body) if that matters. I cannot get this seal out like all the others I've been able to service...this is made of rubber, those two holes were manufactured into it, I did not poke those holes trying to get it off. It is super flexible, you can pull on it, and it will pull out several mm but the "seal" doesn't come out, the rest of the rubber is firm in place. Maybe this isn't a serviceable bearing?? Or I'm a super dork for not being able to figure it out. Would love to service it before I put it back together if anyone can assitplease ??

Rippin da fAt
    If you can lift the seal and expose the interior, brakleen to the rescue! Get it clean and blow out the brakleen, repack and close it up.
    Otherwise, a look at the opposing side to determine if the works can be removed from one side to the other for overhaul or replacement.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I will give that a look, but I don't think it lifts quite that much...but I do appreciate the suggestion. I sent an email to Borealis, but the next time they reply to a service question on one of their bikes will be the first time (for me anyway). I really hate to put all that back together without being able to service that dang thing but maybe I'll have to.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Does your freehub have any identifying letters and numbers on it? Might be able to figure out hub manufacturer or similar hub to figure out disassembly? I suspect they are made by chosen. Mine came with a black XD driver. Lettering was CHO-16 SEN-01. My brother had some Fyxation hubs that looked similar. Pulled off the freehub and it was a cho-## xxx-##. His hg driver was red like yours. It fit my hub just fine.