Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Borealis Echo

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    I ordered mine, a medium, directly from Borealis, they pushed a local bike shop to become a dealer and I received it through the bike shop. Talk to Andrew at Borealis, he'll get you set up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I'm looking to step up from my Motobecane fatty and looking at carbon fatbikes. Was considering the Yampa but reading about heel and calf clearance and maybe big tires rubbing chain or chainstay. I see that the Borealis is now releasing a rigid fork for the Echo (which is what I want) So would there be any advantage to the rigid Echo over the Yampa other then the ability to swap a Bluto? I'm just wondering if Borealis learned a few things from the Yampa that they've incorporated for the Echo. My riding will be winter and snow but I'd like it to be as light and quick as possible within reason.

Must build all the wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldens Lowe View Post
    I'm looking to step up from my Motobecane fatty and looking at carbon fatbikes. Was considering the Yampa but reading about heel and calf clearance and maybe big tires rubbing chain or chainstay. I see that the Borealis is now releasing a rigid fork for the Echo (which is what I want) So would there be any advantage to the rigid Echo over the Yampa other then the ability to swap a Bluto? I'm just wondering if Borealis learned a few things from the Yampa that they've incorporated for the Echo. My riding will be winter and snow but I'd like it to be as light and quick as possible within reason.
    The biggest differences between the Yampa and the Echo are geometries, no rack mounts on the Echo, all sizes fit the Bluto on the Echo.

Both bikes can take the widest tires/rims available right now.

The Echo has a geometry closer to a normal XC bike while the Yampa has a little more relaxed geometry.

If you want the most versatile bike I would go Echo but as far as quality goes both are very comparable.

mtbr member
    I have had zero clearance issues with my heels and calfs while riding my echo. And my calfs aren't small, and I ride rough and twisty terrain.
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm after an Echo and looking for a little input on sizing. I often seem to fall slightly between sizes on bikes for some reason, and it looks like this is the case here.

I'm Mr average: 5'10 (178.5cm) with a 33"(84.5cm) true inseam, normal length arms, neck etc. 180lbs(82kg). Very average!

I have tried a large, which felt ok-ish. I haven't been able to try a medium. The shop owner thinks medium would be too small for me but then - as he has a large in stock - he would wouldn't he..! Ideally I'd like to try both before deciding but I don't think that's going to be possible.

So two specific questions if I may:

1. What size Echo are you riding, and what are your height and true inseam measurements? What length stem do you have?
    2. Is it better - for this type of bike - to be at the top end of medium or the bottom end of large? I think I'd rather shorten than lengthen the stem, so maybe large with 10/20mm off the stem might be the answer..?

I'd really welcome some input from Echo owners. Thanks in advance!

Ian

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Quote Originally Posted by IanTr View Post
    I'm after an Echo and looking for a little input on sizing. I often seem to fall slightly between sizes on bikes for some reason, and it looks like this is the case here.

I'm Mr average: 5'10 (178.5cm) with a 33"(84.5cm) true inseam, normal length arms, neck etc. 180lbs(82kg). Very average!

I have tried a large, which felt ok-ish. I haven't been able to try a medium. The shop owner thinks medium would be too small for me but then - as he has a large in stock - he would wouldn't he..! Ideally I'd like to try both before deciding but I don't think that's going to be possible.

1. What size Echo are you riding, and what are your height and true inseam measurements? What length stem do you have?
    2. Is it better - for this type of bike - to be at the top end of medium or the bottom end of large? I think I'd rather shorten than lengthen the stem, so maybe large with 10/20mm off the stem might be the answer..?

Ian

I'm 5'9"' 32" inseam and bought a medium which fit just fine. I've always ridden mediums, well once I stopped riding my Stingray with a banana seat and sissy bar, but I digress.........

My bike came with the Race Face 35 mm stem, pretty short, don't know the exact length but the bike handled really well. I personally would err on the size of a smaller frame, shorter wheelbase equals better handling, easier to get on in the snow with a slightly lower top tube, just my opinion though and we know about those.......

I would try and ride a medium before deciding. I just happen to have my medium frame for sale with headset if your interested in doing a build Nothing wrong with the bike, just decided that for a year round bike full suspension was needed in my riding area.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    5'8" w/ 30 inch inseam on a small. It's barely big enough - I've got the seatpost maxed out - but it's perfect. I'd err on the side of a smaller frame. Stock stem.

PMC
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by IanTr View Post

Ian
    I'm 6'1" <80kg with 35 inch inseam riding a Large with 90mm stem. Started out with a 100mm stem and may go back to a 100 at some point.

I wouldn't want my frame any bigger than the large at 6'1" so I'd really want to try the Medium at your size before I plunked down my coin. large may be fine for you but I'd want to try both.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    5'-9" 33" Inseam and ride a medium. When I talked to Borealis they recommended a medium. If you do any riding in the snow you have to be able to put your foot down and depending on how deep the snow is it could get painful.

mtbr member
    Anybody running the XX1 fat bike crank? I've got one on with the following spacers on BB: 1 spacer drive side, 2 spacers ND. Crank seems to snug up nicely without any play or lateral tension on BB bearings but it doesn't offer a whole lot of crank arm clearance to the chain stays...? Also thankfully it's a 28t chain ring, anything larger would contact the chain stay.

mtbr member
    should be two spacers on the drive side and one on the non-drive

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by screamingbunny View Post
    should be two spacers on the drive side and one on the non-drive
    Right on. I had it that way and thought the ND side crank arm was too close so switched and it obviously got better and seemed to have better clearance on the drive side with 1 spacer than the ND with 1 but taking into account some drive side flex due to chain tension, I went back to your way. IT's a tight squeeze either way though for those that are thinking of using this crank. I can't really find any solid data stating Q-factor.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Took to echo on its phar maiden voyage
    Hed alum with i9
    4.6 ground control
    was a great combo!!

mtbr member
    Took mine in its maiden voyage today as well. Ride cut short by a locked up SRAM Guide master cylinder for the rear brake. It worked great for about 5 miles, and then the lever was rock hard, zero braking. If you squeeze it very slowly it will move but with any normal operation, it's completely solid. Cracked the bleeder at caliper still rock solid, no fluid expelled, same with the master cyl bleeder, has to be something inside the master. I'm thinking possibly some debris that is blocking one of the ports when applying. I might pop it apart a little further just to give a look for some blockage / debris. Tons of fun while it lasted...

Another thought for those who are considering 45Nrth, love the grip of the flowbeist and dunderbeist but they definitely require more legs to keep them rolling.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Resurrecting this thread!! Whats up Echo riders, I was wondering now that you must have had your bikes for awhile, considering that they retired this model, what do you think of them? Still loving it? Would love to see some more pics of current builds.

I have the opportunity to buy a new frame for a good price that the seller never built up. I am curious on what you enjoy with the frame or what you think is missing? I'll probably end up starting with a carbon fork, any recommendations on what works well with this frame? I've heard Borealis made one for the Echo but unsure where to find one or if there is something better.. perhaps with rear and forward facing cage mounts.

Cheers, Nick

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TripL View Post
    Resurrecting this thread!! Whats up Echo riders, I was wondering now that you must have had your bikes for awhile, considering that they retired this model, what do you think of them? Still loving it? Would love to see some more pics of current builds.
    Cheers, Nick
    Don't know what else you are looking to hear?
    I've had one since 2014.....put a gazillion miles on it.
    It was my go to bike year round until I got a Farley EX last year.
    As far as forks...I run a Mastodon on mine....but there's a bunch of carbon forks out there to fit everyone's budget.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Had it for few years and absolutely love it. Not the fastest bike due to weight of the original rims. The only thing to upgrade. ...oh also had to get new rear brakes. Guide's locked up still don't know why. Yes. Bike is nothing short of amazing.

mtbr member
    Love mine! Put some Chinese carbon hoops on when I built it up. Super lightweight for a fattilac. Favorite bike to ride but after sitting through the summer also out of commission to due to locked up Guide master cylinder as well.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Had mine about 4 seasons and love it. Rode it pretty much stock until this year when I got Nextie carbon wheels, SRAM GX 1x, and xt brakes. Itís a great bike. Still using the Bluto that came on it. Not a great Fork. Iím considering going rigid carbon.
    Western Montana

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Awesome to hear the love for this frame! I'll most likely be buying it. It will be my first carbon frame so I just wanted so see how they've been holding up and any potential issues I didn't know about. Thanks!

It sounds like the original wheels and brakes were the downfall of the build kit as said before and the reviews of the bike elsewhere... This wont be a problem as I am buying just the frame and will build it up with some good bits. The real problem begins.. how not to break the bank!

I guess it is time to clean up and sell the John Deere Moonlander..

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Iíve got a medium frame that Iíll sell if that fits you. I can throw in the Bluto fork too if youíd like that. The bike worked great for me but for a fulltime ride I had to move to full suspension.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ghood View Post
    Rode it pretty much stock until this year when I got Nextie carbon wheels, .
    Those Nexties.. what rim did you get? I'm trying to decide between Nextie, Btlos, and LB rims. It seems like Nextie and Btlos might buy their single wall rim from the same supplier, the profile looks exactly the same. I do really like the Nextie Wild dragonII though. It looks like a robust design that would lend it self to more trail riding. I also like the the LB single wall design, very similar to the Nextie and Btlos but the reinforced areas around the spoke holes seem pretty smart.

Decisions, decisions.. I'll probably go DT swiss or Hope for hubs. It might just depend on what ever is cheaper. I actually like the idea of the hope hubs being louder to possibly alert bears in the area.. something I think about on the trails here in AK. Haven't decided what fork yet.. carbon or Mastodon. Probably carbon since the snow is falling. The Mastodon seems like the fork of choice for fat bike sus. I still have to figure out the other parts of the drive train but will likely go SRAM GX or NX 1X12.

This will be my first complete frame build up, can wait to get started.. I'll post some pics as thing happen.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    If this deal for this frame I have lined up falls trough, I 'll entertain the offer..

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Those Nexties.. what rim did you get? I'm trying to decide between Nextie, Btlos, and LB rims. It seems like Nextie and Btlos might buy their single wall rim from the same supplier, the profile looks exactly the same. I do really like the Nextie Wild dragonII though. It looks like a robust design that would lend it self to more trail riding. I also like the the LB single wall design, very similar to the Nextie and Btlos but the reinforced areas around the spoke holes seem pretty smart.

Decisions, decisions.. I'll probably go DT swiss or Hope for hubs. It might just depend on what ever is cheaper. I actually like the idea of the hope hubs being louder to possibly alert bears in the area.. something I think about on the trails here in AK. Haven't decided what fork yet.. carbon or Mastodon. Probably carbon since the snow is falling. The Mastodon seems like the fork of choice for fat bike sus. I still have to figure out the other parts of the drive train but will likely go SRAM GX or NX 1X12.

This will be my first complete frame build up, can wait to get started.. I'll post some pics as thing happen.
    Xiphias. Itís like having a whole different bike. So much lighter where it really makes a huge difference. They have worked great so far. Tubeless at less than 5 psi when the snow is deep with no burping (bud and Lou).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Western Montana

mtbr member

Check out Sarma hubs.

https://sarmabikes.com/factory-outle...arma-rear-hub/

Good prices, durable, great engagement and sounds wicked! Love my sarma/nextie combo!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Techspec360 View Post
    Check out Sarma hubs.

https://sarmabikes.com/factory-outle...arma-rear-hub/

Good prices, durable, great engagement and sounds wicked! Love my sarma/nextie combo!
    Looks like they are out of stock.. how long have you been rolling on yours? I've seen mixed reviews on them.. but the price is right.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Looks like they are out of stock.. how long have you been rolling on yours? I've seen mixed reviews on them.. but the price is right.
    For a few bucks more....you can get a DT or Hope....

mtbr member
    Iíve had them for a few years now and they are still rolling strong - which says a lot considering the only time I really ride this bike is in the snow rain and sand. I would definitely get another set without a doubt.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Iíve got the DTs. Iím growing to really like the silent hub. Especially when the snow is new and fluffy so that Iím moving silently through the woods.
    Western Montana

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12