Bluto users: Do you use a DT Swiss RWS thru axle?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    26,559

    Bluto users: Do you use a DT Swiss RWS thru axle?

    If not, then you should.

    I was never thrilled with the stamped metal cup with a slot for the lever on the stock Maxle Lite that came with the Bluto. I started wearing the cam of the lever this year and was getting less clamping force out of it, so even though the thing is adjustable, I decided to go ahead and replace it.

    I bought a DT Swiss RWS Big Ride 15x150 thru axle. I have used RWS 9mm skewers in the past and have been happy with them, so decided to get the thru axle.

    Today was my first ride with it and I wasn't expecting it to make a noticeable difference in the stiffness of the fork. My Bluto used to twist some in techy stuff. Didn't like it, but it didn't ruin rides. It was just annoying. I didn't feel any of that on my New Year's ride today. Color me impressed. If you have that same problem, I recommend an RWS thru axle to replace the Maxle Lite.

  2. #2
    Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Reputation: kwarwick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,493
    Good to hear there is an alternative that is reasonably priced (around $30).

    I too have never been impressed with Maxles... they always seem to come loose no matter the tension setting or how tight I make them. I really try to stay on top of them but more often than not only find out it came loose at the end of the ride.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    57
    I didn't think the cam in the Maxle provided any clamping force to hold the fork "together". I thought its just there to keep the lever attached to the bike so you have something to unscrew the maxle with when you want to take it off.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: in the trees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,036
    What about using the Maxle Stealth? Happy with mine.

  5. #5
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    26,559
    Quote Originally Posted by krapper View Post
    I didn't think the cam in the Maxle provided any clamping force to hold the fork "together". I thought its just there to keep the lever attached to the bike so you have something to unscrew the maxle with when you want to take it off.
    It does add clamping force. Otherwise why put a cam on it at all? RWS doesn't use a cam. Turn it until it's tight, then position the lever. FWIW, DT Swiss DOES say that it's stiffer (than "conventional quick releases") and that it supplies more clamping force. The reduction in twisting I experienced today is probably due to that additional clamping force.

    I always felt like if I turned the Maxle too tight before clamping, I'd mangle that slotted cup. As it is, the one on mine is just a touch bent in the slot and you can see where it's marked the lever from tightening/loosening it.

    I saw the Maxle Stealth. I like that idea, too. But I'd rather have one of those for the back wheel that I don't need to remove as often. I remove the front wheel frequently for loading into my car.

  6. #6
    beer thief
    Reputation: radair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    4,865
    I'm not understanding this at all. I tighten the Maxle until the threads are tight. Can you explain how this DT axle makes the fork stiffer? I also have not noticed the fork being flexy. I think it's more of an internet phenomenon.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JesusJuice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    77
    Take a look at a Maxle with a lever and without. The allen key one would work just like a DT Swiss axle in terms of stiffness. The one with the QR lever would not. With any of the other RS forks I have had, I find the QR mechanism wears and needs constant adjustment if the front wheel comes off a lot.

    If you only remove the front wheel to change a flat or replace brake pads, the QR Maxle works fine.

  8. #8
    beer thief
    Reputation: radair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    4,865
    Maybe we have something different or I'm doing something wrong but my axle gets screwed in tight, like you would install a bolt in a threaded hole. Then you position the lever where you want it and fold it over. I would guess the cam is there to keep the axle from flopping open.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    It does add clamping force. Otherwise why put a cam on it at all? RWS doesn't use a cam. Turn it until it's tight, then position the lever. FWIW, DT Swiss DOES say that it's stiffer (than "conventional quick releases") and that it supplies more clamping force. The reduction in twisting I experienced today is probably due to that additional clamping force....
    The Maxle is NOT a "conventional quick release".

    I find it hard to believe there's any difference in stiffness unless the Maxle is loose.

  9. #9
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    26,559
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    Maybe we have something different or I'm doing something wrong but my axle gets screwed in tight, like you would install a bolt in a threaded hole. Then you position the lever where you want it and fold it over. I would guess the cam is there to keep the axle from flopping open.


    The Maxle is NOT a "conventional quick release".

    I find it hard to believe there's any difference in stiffness unless the Maxle is loose.
    My problem with the Maxle is that slotted stamped metal cup you use to tighten it. It's just not that strong, and I've bent mine up installing and removing the Maxle. When it's bent up, it really does limit how tight you can get it.

    I can get the RWS thru axle tighter.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JesusJuice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    77
    A Maxle with a QR lever works like a collet does.

    Tighter isn't always better - too tight and you're squishing the hub bearings.

  11. #11
    Hooligan
    Reputation: dirtdawg21892's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    964
    Sorry to revive a dead thread, but i'm on the hunt for a replacement axle for a bluto, and this seems to fit the bill.
    Has anybody been able to confirm for sure that it fits, has the right thread pitch, and is within the proper spec? just trying to double check before wasting money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

  12. #12
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    26,559
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdawg21892 View Post
    Sorry to revive a dead thread, but i'm on the hunt for a replacement axle for a bluto, and this seems to fit the bill.
    Has anybody been able to confirm for sure that it fits, has the right thread pitch, and is within the proper spec? just trying to double check before wasting money.
    I said so in my first post, if you had read it.

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Nutrailer
    Reputation: JackWare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    517
    A Maxle Stealth or Wolftooth Fat Axle are both designed for the Bluto with the correct length and thread pitch.

    The overall length will be about 198mm thought they're normally listed as 15mm x 150 axles.



    Bluto users: Do you use a DT Swiss RWS thru axle?-capture.jpg

  14. #14
    Hooligan
    Reputation: dirtdawg21892's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    964
    Quote Originally Posted by JackWare View Post
    A Maxle Stealth or Wolftooth Fat Axle are both designed for the Bluto with the correct length and thread pitch.

    The overall length will be about 198mm thought they're normally listed as 15mm x 150 axles.



    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	167 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	1184944
    makes sense. 150mm is the hub spacing, not the overall length.
    Thanks all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

Similar Threads

  1. Bluto Users Whats your setup
    By troutie-mtb in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-12-2017, 05:09 AM
  2. DT Swiss RWS Thru-Axle nut
    By GuitsBoy in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-23-2016, 04:09 PM
  3. Replies: 36
    Last Post: 01-31-2016, 12:00 PM
  4. Need help from Stan's 15mm thru-axle users...
    By gotdurt in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-18-2015, 07:00 AM
  5. DT Swiss thru axle
    By golfnbike13 in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-30-2015, 10:58 PM

Members who have read this thread: 4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.