Bluto sag issues?- Mtbr.com
    aka bOb

Bluto sag issues?

Been playing around with the Bluto some and I can't seem to get to the 20% sag without it getting over squishy. Anyone else having this problem?

Also the other day I hit a pretty good jump and it bottomed out pretty hard. This was the first time it ever did this so I went back and checked the air and it had dropped to about 50psi from around 110 do I pumped it up and beat the crap out of it for a few minutes and it dropped back to 50psi again. So I let all the air out including the negative air chamber and pumped it back up and beat it around the hood some and it seems to be holding. Anyone else have anything like this happen?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Sweet merciful crap.
    Do you have problems with everything you touch?

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Sweet merciful crap.
    Do you have problems with everything you touch?
    Yup usually

Edit: And there is about 500-600 miles on it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    How did you remove the air from the negative chamber.....when Solo Air doesn't have one?
    I hope you were good and liquored up when you wrote that....

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    How did you remove the air from the negative chamber.....when Solo Air doesn't have one?
    I hope you were good and liquored up when you wrote that....
    There is a 5mm bolt on the inside bottom of the leg on the air chamber side and under said bolt is an air valve to release the pressure on the negative side. See even drunk I figured that much out

Edit: And yes it does have a negative which sets on it's own though an orifice so it's just not adjustable like a dual air. Having an overloaded neg side on the Reba solo airs is a fairly common problem. I doubt that was problem because that usually causes the stanchions to be sucked in with no weight on the fork but I wanted to start over from scratch and see if it helped.

aka bOb
    Now is there actually anyone out there that has played with the tokens that might be able to advise me. Could I add more or take some out so I could run less pressure and yet make it more progressive at the same time? Oh and I have the 100mm version.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I don't know if its like the Pike, but it sounds like it is. Add more tokens and go out again. It is such an easy thing to experiment with, I am sad you haven't yet!!

Maybe check out the Pike thread in the (29er components? or shocks and susp) forum, and look at what others are doing.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post

Maybe check out the Pike thread in the (29er components? or shocks and susp) forum, and look at what others are doing.
    Funny I just went there and they bicker worse than we do, had to leave in a hurry. I need to buy an extra token or two and play around some.

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Funny I just went there and they bicker worse than we do, had to leave in a hurry. I need to buy an extra token or two and play around some.
    i have a cpl tokens(nickels) i'll gladly send your way so there's no more bickering.

aka bOb
    Now back to our regular scheduled programming, should I buy a Fatboy, a Farley, or..........? No get a Bikes Direct..........

nvphatty
    Now back to our regular scheduled programming, should I buy a Fatboy, a Farley, or..........? No get a Bikes Direct..........
    none of the above

All fat, all the time.
    I hear walmart is selling fatties & 32" cruisers ..... lol

aka bOb
    This thread turned into a big flamin turd, we need some music!!

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/xogiUUMy_RU?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/xogiUUMy_RU?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    I hear walmart is selling fatties & 32" cruisers ..... lol
    Right between the Coleman Lanterns and the PS-4 games. Just like that local bike shop down the street. I think technically they're fat BMX+rs.

All fat, all the time.
    Neil Young rocks!

Nemophilist
    Well....

I'm a bit surprised that you have not already learned that sag is a useless thing to fiddle with. Who cares how it works sitting still? Any time I have ever bothered with setting it, on any shock/fork I've had, I get the same result as you. Bag-o-Mush! 80-100psi, stick yur pump in yur pocket, and go ride. I care what it rides like, not what it sits like!

Sag happens all on its own anyway....
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Trailmaker, the Pike has proven to be pretty golden for 90% of the users as 20% sag. If the fork doesn't feel right at 20% sag, adjustment needs to occur somewhere.

I am not up to date on the bluto, but on my Pike I dialed in the lsc to a 5-6 clicks from full close, to tune out some brake dive and blowing through travel too fast. If there is a section of trail that really brings out the negatives about the fork, use that to test. Note all the features of the trail that cause the issue, and remember what it feels like. Now fiddle with ONE SETTING AT A TIME, (ie lsc OR lsr, NOT BOTH). It as been suggested to dial in the rebound BEFORE compression. Once the fork feels good with rebound, then start on compression. Sorry if the bluto doesn't offer some of the adjustability I meantioned, as I only have experience with the Pike.

If the fork settings aren't helping to improve the sitch, add a token and start all over again.

bigger than you.

mtbr member
    Read this:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspen...sa-929695.html

My Pike is back to normal after fixing it with a zip tie point.
    :)

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    That's awesome but as Jon knows my wife is nice enough to be storing my balls in her purse because she feels like I don't really need them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by simen View Post
    Read this:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspen...sa-929695.html

My Pike is back to normal after fixing it with a zip tie point.
    That is something I will check, don't really think that is my problem right now but will keep it in the back of mu noggin for future use.

My back is just so sensitive I just need to fine tune it with less pressure and more tokens. Thanks for everyones errrrrr help.

p.s. I did kinda have it figured out I just thought it would be nice to hear if anyone else was playing around with it. Plus I was getting sick of the Walmart, BD, and which bike should I buy threads so I thought we could use a technical discussion.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yup usually

Edit: And there is about 500-600 miles on it.
    Not that many follow it, but did you reference the service interval?
    https://www.sram.com/sites/default/f...to_reba_sm.pdf
    Change oil at 50hrs which you are probably near with those miles. Maybe you got a bad egg that needs early service which is compounding the issues.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    Not that many follow it, but did you reference the service interval?
    https://www.sram.com/sites/default/f...to_reba_sm.pdf
    Change oil at 50hrs which you are probably near with those miles. Maybe you got a bad egg that needs early service which is compounding the issues.
    Can't hurt I will do that soon, thanks!! I was thinking back to my original setup and I had no problems getting the proper sag and the small bump compliance was better.