Thread: bluto question

rda
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

bluto question

on a recent ride that had some big hits, the fork lost most of the air and bottomed out a few times. I was able to lock it out and get back to the truck. it still bottomed out once even locked out. after getting home i was able to pump it up and it's still holding air. i havn't went on a long ride yet, but it feels fine around the yard.

i am a little nervous that i might still have and issue and would like to correct it before riding much. what should i look at/replace? i serviced the fork last winter.

since 4/10/2009
    This is a symptom of the fork's flexiness. You burped air from your air spring through the seals.

I've done this on rowdy descents before. Took me awhile to figure out because like you, I found that upon reinflating the fork, it held air just fine. In my case, I was able to inflate in on the trail because I had my shock pump with me.

This is why I have a Wren fork on the way (delayed a bit by the typhoon).

mtbr member
    Your missing air is now in the lowers. Use a Zip tie to burp it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    Team _________

rda
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    i assume you mean stick it in the seal?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    This has happened to me many times. I've found that once the fork starts losing air, it keeps loosing air every ride

I haven't found a long term fix yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rollertoaster View Post
    Your missing air is now in the lowers. Use a Zip tie to burp it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    I have seen video of this procedure. I have disassembled my fork and I have a pretty good idea what the internals look like. I fail to understand the mechanics of this process.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I had a Strange Happening where the fork went to approximately 40mm of travel and essentially locked out. Somehow to lower filled with air. My lbs flipped the bike over, removed a screw, used a spoke to purge the valve and then reinflate The pressure

Been fine ever since

mtbr member
    What happens is the fork flexes. When it flexes the lower seal head is flexed hard enough to open a gap in the seal and allow the negative spring to dump it's air into the lowers. Then on rebound the air spring equalizes and you now have about 50psi in the air spring system.
    The zip tie needs to be slid down inside the dust wiper far enough to hear a hiss. Slide the Zip tie back and forth on the upper edge of the seal while keeping downward pressure. It will pop inside the lip and you'll be able to push it in further. Make sure to clean the area first so you don't force dirt into the fork during the procedure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk
    Team _________

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005

bluto question

You just need to ride the fork easier. You rode it hard enough to flex it and air blows by the seal.

Bring the zip tie, basic tools and a shock pump on future rides. When it happens just burp it and refill it. After a few rides you'll get used to it. One of the guys I ride with does it almost every ride.

Rock shox told him it was fine and he was just riding it too hard and not maintains it. All 150# of him riding easy single track. His fork gets rebuilt all to often. But he stands but his Rock Shox products
    Collection of fun carbon & titanium bikes

@tgi_cycling

roots, rocks, rhythm
    To bad you are having issues but it makes me happy I could not find a Bluto so I decided to go with a Wren Fork for my ICT.
    I even like it set to 150 mm up front..........

So far so good!
    But then it is only one ride so far..........
    97' Brodie Expresso
    00' Turner RFX
    08' Turner RFX
    13' Surly Troll
    15' Surly ICT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgprimo View Post
    To bad you are having issues but it makes me happy I could not find a Bluto so I decided to go with a Wren Fork for my ICT.
    I even like it set to 150 mm up front..........

So far so good!
    But then it is only one ride so far..........
    Not sure its a good idea to put a 150mm fork on an icecreamtruck....That is a lot more leaver arm than the frame was designed for. Keep an eye on the paint around the welds on your head tube. If the paint cracks, the frame is done( or needs to be re welded). As someone that had a Turner head tube snap off, you do not want to have that happen, trust me on this.
    The bike is never to heavy, you are just to WEAK!

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTCLIME View Post
    Not sure its a good idea to put a 150mm fork on an icecreamtruck....That is a lot more leaver arm than the frame was designed for. Keep an eye on the paint around the welds on your head tube. If the paint cracks, the frame is done( or needs to be re welded). As someone that had a Turner head tube snap off, you do not want to have that happen, trust me on this.
    Very good point. I'd shorten that Wren to 120, but honestly if that's the bike I was putting it on, I'd have started with a 110 and adjusted to keep the a-c as close to stock as possible.

I'm putting a 110 Wren on my Bucksaw. Salsa is pretty emphatic about the fork to install on that bike, and 110mm travel on the Wren is a touch over the a-c of a 100mm Bluto. But 100mm on the Wren goes less than the 100mm Bluto. I definitely don't want to steepen the head tube angle.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Yes I know......I was thinking the same thing but wanted to try out at 150mm first. Besides I wanted the 150mm for the flexibility!

Thanks for pointing that out though MUSTCLIM and Harold.:thumbs:
    Safety first!

The last thing I want to do is destroy my ICT or worse. No issues so far!
    I will be lowering the front to about 120 mm.
    Climbing was a bit tough but I did manage to climb 900 m on the first ride, which I thought was pretty good!
    All my mountain bikes have a longer a-c then normal but that is the way I like it!

But I am glad I did go with a Wren Fork. The Bluto sounded a bit wimpy and besides trying to find a new one around where I live was practically impossible!
    97' Brodie Expresso
    00' Turner RFX
    08' Turner RFX
    13' Surly Troll
    15' Surly ICT

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I've had to bleed the air out of the bottom chamber numerous times.!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Get a Wren fork, problem solved.

And I just so happen to have one for sale!

110mm travel, 150mm hub spacing, all the current tech, ridden thrice. Came off our tandem which were parting out.

First $650, pm for details.

FYI, the Wren can easilly be adjusted in increments of 10mm, for travel or travel and ride height, 110mm to 80mm. All maintenance can be done by a home mechanuc, no special tools needed, no measuring oil, hot swappable.

I run a Wren 150 x 150 on my Mutz; reduced to 140, it gets heavy use from bike park to enduro, no issues, no flex, no stiction, add air and forget about it.

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Get a Wren fork, problem solved.

And I just so happen to have one for sale!

110mm travel, 150mm hub spacing, all the current tech, ridden thrice. Came off our tandem which were parting out.

First $650, pm for details.

FYI, the Wren can easilly be adjusted in increments of 10mm, for travel or travel and ride height, 110mm to 80mm. All maintenance can be done by a home mechanuc, no special tools needed, no measuring oil, hot swappable.

I run a Wren 150 x 150 on my Mutz; reduced to 140, it gets heavy use from bike park to enduro, no issues, no flex, no stiction, add air and forget about it.
    2nd this.

Sell the Blowdu to someone and buy Bens Wren.
    Collection of fun carbon & titanium bikes

@tgi_cycling