Bluto Air Shaft vs. Tokens- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2020

We the people ... Bluto Air Shaft vs. Tokens

I recently purchased a used stock 100mm Bluto RL.

According to the Rockshox chart, the Bluto can take a maximum of 4 tokens.
    The 80mm ships with 4 tokens (maxed out).
    The 100mm ships with 2 tokens, with space for 2 more (what I currently have).
    And the 120mm ships with 0 tokens, with space for 4 total.

As it stands now, my 100mm RL is too harsh on the low end for my rocky terrain (poor small bump sensitivity), but if I lower the pressure for a plusher ride I bottom out way too easily and harshly. So at minimum I need to put some tokens in there to get a pressure curve.

Surprisingly, buying a new air shaft costs just as much as buying new tokens.
    Given this, I would like to upgrade to 120mm all things being equal.

Now my question is: does a 120mm with 2 tokens (how many I currently have) perform the same as a 100mm with 4 tokens (buying and adding 2 more)?

At minimum I NEED a steeper pressure curve, but if I can get that AND 120mm travel for the same price hen I'd go that route no question.

Hopefully this makes sense lol. Thanks for your help!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    120 travel might be a bit too much for the Bluto chassis,I can see my 100 mm travel Bluto flex rearward when I put the front brake on,but I never notice any twist during cornering so it doesnít bother me. I have the RCT3 model and I think it rides well. No bottoming and no mushiness so maybe that would be a better upgrade than lengthening the travel. Previously I had a Sektor RL coil fork on a dual suspension bike and it was poorly damped,soft and loose but jack hammered in stutter bump. It did have a great ramp up when you hit the big surprises at high speed but again,it hydrolocked on rapid repetitive hits regardless of damper settings

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Palomini View Post
    I recently purchased a used stock 100mm Bluto RL.

According to the Rockshox chart, the Bluto can take a maximum of 4 tokens.
    The 80mm ships with 4 tokens (maxed out).
    The 100mm ships with 2 tokens, with space for 2 more (what I currently have).
    And the 120mm ships with 0 tokens, with space for 4 total.

As it stands now, my 100mm RL is too harsh on the low end for my rocky terrain (poor small bump sensitivity), but if I lower the pressure for a plusher ride I bottom out way too easily and harshly. So at minimum I need to put some tokens in there to get a pressure curve.

Surprisingly, buying a new air shaft costs just as much as buying new tokens.
    Given this, I would like to upgrade to 120mm all things being equal.

Now my question is: does a 120mm with 2 tokens (how many I currently have) perform the same as a 100mm with 4 tokens (buying and adding 2 more)?

At minimum I NEED a steeper pressure curve, but if I can get that AND 120mm travel for the same price hen I'd go that route no question.

Hopefully this makes sense lol. Thanks for your help!
    I guess I should have mentioned that my fork came shipped with the RCT3 damper upgrade already installed.

Still curious if anyone happens to know whether 100mm with 2 tokens = 120mm with zero tokens in terms of pressure curve!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Can I ask you to clarify, are you currently running 2 or four tokens in the fork you have now?

I have the Bluto WITHOUT the remote lockout. I would like to reduce the initial harshness myself.
    Will more tokens make it more plush initially?
    Sorry I don't have an answer for you but am following this thread curiously. Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    What tires and pressure are you guys running? Iím on 4.8 Jumbo Jims at 9.5 psi. Not detecting initial harshness and I often run with the adjuster in the pedal setting. I donít even have the urge to tamper with anything on the fork. Iím actually pretty picky about forks to the point of modifying the damper rods on old Marzocchis and converting my vintage Trials motorcycle forks to split the compression and rebound duties to individual fork legs,was tapering damper rods on my Maico motocrossers back in the 80s for mid travel plushness.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Not sure if this is for me, but I run at 10-11 psi. I am a bigger guy and ride on the road to get to trail heads. Anything lower and I get the bad steering. When I hit small bump I feel like it is somewhat harsh but I do bottom the fork out most of the time so it's not the air pressure. Will one more token allow less air volume thus creating more plushness over small bumps???

mtbr member
    May 2020
    I'm currently running 100mm with 2 tokens (there is room for up to 4).
    Also riding Jumbo Jims 4.8" at ~10psi range for summer use.
    I'm ~150lbs but I push the bike really hard on technical rocky terrain.
    If I set sag over 20% I bottom out HARD, so I'm currently somewhere between 15-20% and with this I still get away with *just* enough suspension to not bottom out constantly.
    So with sag set that low it's no surprise that small bump absorption is bad.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I run the JJs 4.8 at 10-11.
    Will one more token allow less air volume thus creating more plushness over small bumps???

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    If your fork absorbs single hits well but jackhammers you in rock gardens possibly it is packing down due to excessive rebound damping,try loosening it up some. Otherwise you may need a more sophisticated damping setup.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Will one more token allow less air volume thus creating more plushness over small bumps???