Enjoyin' life....

Blue on Black - my new Mukluk

I had been waiting on a Mukluk 2 but when the pics of the anodized frame broke, when I found it was black with red trim (which is the same color scheme as my existing two mountain bikes) I cursed Salsa. Why not the blue color with the higher spec? Really all I wanted were the wheelset, better drivetrain and better brakes. I was so bummed I admit to having sent off a note to Fatback asking a few questions about availability and I started putting together a list of what I needed to build a fat bike. I had some stuff already on hand. I was considering a Fatback aluminum and mentioned it to Ben at Milltown. I told him it would be a winter project lacking time right now to build it, but I had some of the stuff just needed to buy some other stuff and we ended our chat talking about BFL's. A day later I get a note and then a call and he tells me that he can get me a blue Mukluk frame with Salsa rear hub through Salsa...using my parts and his time he can put one together for me. He insisted that I could have exactly what I wanted component wise and it would be cheaper than the Mukluk 2 and still in my preferred color with my spec. We haggled back and forth some, he assuring me he would make some money and today Blue on Black shows up.

Here are is a link to some pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/1064965...AZ7IB2A1wm3sA#

All I can say is wow. I put it together and have already almost busted my butt climbing up on and across a concrete entrance "stoop". I have ridden up and down my deck's stairs, my neighbor's deep ditch and some time creek that has always been unmanageable. My cat watched me from the yard in total awe of my abilities. Or she may have been immersed in watching grasshoppers and not me. Hard to tell. I can't wait to play some more. Still need to make some adjustments, may make a few small changes but for the most part it is like Ben promised, the bike I want with the stuff I want on it. This rocks!
    Wally

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Awesome, way nicer than the black imho. I wish I lived closer to Milltown.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Nice! How much clearance between the chain and tire running the 2x7?

Enjoyin' life....
    @white and nerdy -I'm not real near Milltown. I get up there once or so a year to ride with Ben and friends but Fed Ex delivers and Ben has a real nice Fed Ex account
    Seriously, shipping wasn't really all that bad. Built my bike weighs 33 lbs 12 oz. Shipping weight was 55 lbs in two boxes.

@dehoff - right at 5mm of clearance when I'm in the 22x34 gears.
    Wally

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    That bike is gorgeous, congrats!
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

He be a moose too.
    One of the things that Salsa told me was that the anodized bike was a bit lighter than the one with paint (thinking 4-8 oz lighter not sure at the moment). Whether this changes your mind or not, but that was one reason they went with anodized.

Personally, I like the blue better. Originally my shop couldn't give me a good deal with the III with upgrades and we decided to wait for the II. Now they are skeptical about the II's coming in on time and said they would work something out with a III to make sure I have a bike with nicer parts by the time the snow flies (which isn't looking so far away with tonights weather).

Harmonius Wrench
    Welcome to the fat side!

Small furry critters shudder in fear of your BFL's and newfound churlish bike handling skills. Can't wait to see you bring that up to the Milltown Pre-Winter party. It's gonna be good!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Enjoyin' life....
    Quote Originally Posted by pinguwin View Post
    One of the things that Salsa told me was that the anodized bike was a bit lighter than the one with paint (thinking 4-8 oz lighter not sure at the moment).
    4 oz. A quarter pound. The bike weighs 33 lbs 12 oz so do you really think a 33 lb 8 oz bike with 2x7 gearing and near 5 inch tires is going to run faster? Handle better? What does 4 oz get you in a fat bike?

My background is more or less riding motorcycles. And yeah people went the same way thinking an ounce or two was going to matter. It never did, talent matters, that and putting in the time to stay in shape.

If I want to want to save that four ounces, I'll forgo my socks or ride commando...
    Wally

Enjoyin' life....
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    Welcome to the fat side!

Small furry critters shudder in fear of your BFL's and newfound churlish bike handling skills. Can't wait to see you bring that up to the Milltown Pre-Winter party. It's gonna be good!
    Yes it will.

Once you go fat, you can never go back!
    Wally

He be a moose too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    What does 4 oz get you in a fat bike?
    Four oz. gets you four oz. less. I repeat " Whether this changes your mind or not, but that was one reason they went with anodized." Four oz. is part of the four pound difference that the Salsa folks says exists between the II & III. I'm not sure if four pounds is a selling point for everyone.

Enjoyin' life....
    Well, show me on a power meter (or some other way) where 4 oz makes a difference in output - for anyone. On a bike like this. Anodizing offers more in this case than some minor weight savings. Anodizing is a good thing and if it was in another color besides matte black with red trim I would give it serious thought but I didn't want another black bike. The claimed weight savings was nothing to even consider.
    Wally

Enjoyin' life....
    pinguwin:
    I'm not up on the folklore surrounding Mukluk so its news to me that the difference between a II and a III is four pounds. When I talked to them, all I was told is the frame is four oz. lighter than a blue frame.

Four pounds is a big (actually a HUGE) difference, that I agree on.

My build uses a blue frame but the rest of the build matches or exceeds the spec of the Mukluk 2. My OP stated I wanted the 2's spec just not a black frame. I've got several components that are lighter but they really don't matter, the weight difference is insignificant. But maybe I made up that four oz difference between frames, maybe just closed the gap. My take is that which ever it is, its not going to matter a whole lot.

Like I said though anodizing brings many other benefits and those I would like to have but they aren't deal killers, especially after riding my Mukluk
    Wally

He be a moose too.
    I just mentioned the four oz. in passing as the one difference that they told me. Aesthetically, I like the blue frame better than the anodized frame. With the exception of tires, I generally dislike black parts (and even on tires, I like skinwalls, old school I know), so I don't care for the way the II frame looks, but it's what I've chosen. For you, there is something to be said for actually having a bike as opposed to me who wants to have one and is waiting.

The four oz. is certainly not a deal-breaker for me either way and that amount of weight isn't going to change anything except possibly on the wheels and even then, probably not that much. I come from a background of starting with 32 lb bike in 1983 and noticed the difference when I went down to 28 and then again when the weight dropped to 23 for my third bike. I'm a XC racer and I do notice four pounds, especially when half of that is on the wheels. So for the two Mukluks, four lbs. is important just as is the increase in component quality.

I might be buying an airbrush in the future and am thinking about experimenting with green and yellow and seeing what inspiration I can get from nudibranchs (a beautiful sea slug I've seen when diving in tropical reefs, the spanish dancer is particularily beautiful but so far, not seen in person). So after the first winter, I might regain that four oz. back.

Enjoyin' life....
    Well four pounds of rotating mass would make a difference, even on your car. No denying that.

I hope the Mukluk 2 is all you hope it to be. I'm off to see what sort of things I can conquer with those large tires.
    Wally

turtles make me hot
    Ocho, what's the width of the rims on that bike?
    I like turtles

Enjoyin' life....
    Rolling Darryl's are the rims and I believe they are 82mm wide.
    Wally