black and gold all over, runs on Spyders- Mtbr.com
    drc
    annoyingly cautious
    Jan 2004

black and gold all over, runs on Spyders

My dread and despise for winter is officially over as of 12/20/09. 70 mm Speedway rims on Hope hubs by Mike Curiak, crankset by Middleburn (via MTB Tandems), transmission with XT STI's by Shimano. Weight without the bar mitts 33.5#. The motor on this thing is lousy; when climbing it overheats in just a few minutes and needs a 20:28 gearing to keep it going uphill. Still, the grin factor makes it all worthwhile.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails black and gold all over, runs on Spyders-pugs-road-closed.jpg  

black and gold all over, runs on Spyders-pugs-track-stand.jpg  

mtbr member
    lookin sweet dude. diggin the gold. have fun!

mtbr member
    enjoy your pug!, nice build

like the sign on the gate, violaters ....i would just have to go ride it....
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Nice ride! How do the spiders run in the snow?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Bling! Nice choice in colors.

I hear ya on the engine overheating.
    Turner Burner, Polished
    Salsa Mariachi 2
    Salsa Mukluk 2 Custom
    Bucksaw - Future Ride

drc
    annoyingly cautious
    Jan 2004
    The spiders run okay; I've not used Endos in the snow so I can't compare. The spider was chosen because they were half the cost of Endos. I remembered the advice to let out a little air at a time until things were good. My first ride was in 8-12" of granular snow with a very thin crust. I finally found the balance and pressure to ride 100' at a time before grinding to a stop. When I got back on pavement I could barely manage the bike. Turns out my tire pressure was down to 4 psi front, 6 rear. Presently I'm running around 12-14 psi; very good off road, manageable on road. 20 psi is magic on pavement but difficult in snow.
    I've never been able to trackstand before. Since the bike will trackstand in the snow without a rider maybe I will be able to master the technique.
    What do you think of gold water bottle cages? Overdoing the gold thing or the perfect finishing touch?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by drc
    What do you think of gold water bottle cages? Overdoing the gold thing or the perfect finishing touch?
    I think it will actually make the flow of gold from front to back even sweeter.
    Turner Burner, Polished
    Salsa Mariachi 2
    Salsa Mukluk 2 Custom
    Bucksaw - Future Ride

mtbr member
    i concur. there is definitely a void of bling in the middle.
    my freewheel trackstands are getting pretty good (i work on it everyday on the way into work), and that's on an LHT. on really good days, i get there without my feet touching the ground. trackstands on the endos were immediately magnificent. didn't even need an incline. now i am working on riding backwards in the fixed mode. my goal is to back into my parking spot at work when i ride fixed. next up is wheelies. have to fix up the unicycle for practice.

Members who have read this thread: 0