Bike Conundrum- Mtbr.com

Thread: Bike Conundrum

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Bike Conundrum

Been thinking this over for a bit and still haven't reached a decision regarding a bike for the summer season hard pack trails.

I've seen a few posts on this forum where a lot of people have ditched their old regular mountain bike in favor of the fat bike.

Do I spend ~$600 and upgrade my Fatboy with Bluto for summer trail riding.

Do I spend $1500-$2000 for a regular full suspension mountain bike?

Pluses and minuses?

Ignore the difference in cost, as that wouldn't be a deciding factor at this point.

mtbr member

Bike Conundrum

I would wait a bit. I bet a bluto killer from fox is coming soon. But yes keep the fatty and upgrade. If you need full suspension you can go that route if need from what I have seen. But a fatty can do it all!! You can run any of the newest tires for all season.

mtbr member
    I'm in the same boat.

I just sold my "starter fatty".

Debating selling my 29'er to fund building a Carbon fatty for year round use...or keeping the 29'er for summer use and buying a slightly better fatty for next year.

2 x $2000 bikes or 1 x $3500 fat bike?
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    http://fat-bike.com/2015/03/salsa-bl...ack-of-riders/

No suspension on this yet and people are very happy. Even my Mukluk is GTG on just about any single track trail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tundratrader View Post
    I would wait a bit. I bet a bluto killer from fox is coming soon. But yes keep the fatty and upgrade. If you need full suspension you can go that route if need from what I have seen. But a fatty can do it all!! You can run any of the newest tires for all season.
    I'll keep using the ground control tires that came on the bike. My main concern is will I need/desire the rear suspension on the fatty ?

I know the Bucksaw is out there, but unlike the price points I mentioned above, the price of the Bucksaw exceeds my budget (and wife's approval) at this moment.

mtbr member
    I would stick with what you have for now until you can try a full suspension on the trails you ride.

since 4/10/2009
    "Bluto killer"?

mtbr member
    For sure. I don't imagine the two fatty forks will be the only options for long.

mtbr member
    I'm going to get negative rep and booed for this... but...

I don't understand why a fatbike with bluto is better than a 29er similarly equipped on most summer trails, especially if you have a fat bike to fall back on if it's muddy or you're bored. And a bluto plus a 29er or 29+ wheelset is expensive enough to justify two bikes.

So IMO it's not usually a benefit, it's often a disadvantage plus you don't have the benefits of two bikes (one for a friend, on for if it breaks or you take time to upgrade)... and the cost difference is negligable.

Not sure I like the added attention of a fat bike all the time if I'm parking it a bike rack in the city. Not sure i'd do a road century or something like that on a fat bike ever.

mtbr member
    A friend of mine has a Framed MN 2.0 that he rides fat in the winter and with 29er hoops in the summer, couldn't you do something along those lines? Also, a neighbor just got a Bluto for his chinese carbon fatty and loves it, it seems like the only bike he's riding now. I would think that adding the Bluto or similar (like the X-fusion Revel fatty fork) would only increase the range of the fat bike which can't be bad. The big question is whether you want a lil more cushion for the tush. I would probably just add a sus fork first and if it works then awesome, if it doesn't... then look into the full sus.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    27.5+ for summer, fat for winter, trust me
    Mongoose product development

Rocking on a Rocky
    Bluto and carbon rims.
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

aka bOb
    I would probably just put a Bluto on your Fatboy and run it. That being said you you go out with a little bit faster group on regular bikes you might have a little harder time hanging and you will prolly fade out a little faster and not be able to get as many miles in. A lower priced fully might not be too bad for ya in that case. If that is the route you decide to take I might be able to set you up with a Giant for a decent price.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    If that is the route you decide to take I might be able to set you up with a Giant for a decent price.
    Which model?

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    Which model?
    For what you ride either a Trance or an Anthem. Also I know of a Cannondale Trigger on closeout from last year. I could meet you at Builers one day and help out some.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Kewl. I will keep that in mind.

Looking 27.5 if I go the FS bike route.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bepperb View Post
    I'm going to get negative rep and booed for this... but...

I don't understand why a fatbike with bluto is better than a 29er similarly equipped on most summer trails, especially if you have a fat bike to fall back on if it's muddy or you're bored. And a bluto plus a 29er or 29+ wheelset is expensive enough to justify two bikes.

So IMO it's not usually a benefit, it's often a disadvantage plus you don't have the benefits of two bikes (one for a friend, on for if it breaks or you take time to upgrade)... and the cost difference is negligable.

Not sure I like the added attention of a fat bike all the time if I'm parking it a bike rack in the city. Not sure i'd do a road century or something like that on a fat bike ever.
    I started out last August on a Excaliber 8 29'er and a few trails I ride have a ton of ravines that are steep, root infested, quick up and downs. Climbing up these was a problem when the tire would catch roots at about a 45 degree angle and send the wheel shooting out to the side. Hasn't happened once since I traded it in on the Farley. I do get more pedal strikes though.
    I wouldn't mind trying out a 27.5+ wheelset though. Might shed some lbs and still keep the traction/bump absorbtion. Don't think 29+ will work in the Farley.

mtbr member
    Since putting a Bluto on the Fatboy, the full susp 9er has been hanging in the garage. What I lose in climbing speed is more than made up for in grip everywhere.
    2014 Specialized Fatboy
    2013 Rocky Mountain Element BC Edition
    2011 Gary Fisher Utopia
    2007 Specialized Roubaix

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jpa102 View Post
    Since putting a Bluto on the Fatboy, the full susp 9er has been hanging in the garage. What I lose in climbing speed is more than made up for in grip everywhere.
    What front rim set up did you use to accommodate the 150mm hub? Relace the one you had or buy a different one?

Just realized I would have that additional cost as well in addition to the Bluto.

mtbr member
    I used the stock rim and spokes with a Hope Fatsno hub
    2014 Specialized Fatboy
    2011 Gary Fisher Utopia
    2007 Specialized Roubaix

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    What front rim set up did you use to accommodate the 150mm hub? Relace the one you had or buy a different one?

Just realized I would have that additional cost as well in addition to the Bluto.
    Not sure what hubs you have but Hauck makes spacers so you can run a Bluto on a 135mm Hope, I-9, or Salsa hub. I had to get a machine shop to make a set for the Bontrager hub. Not cheap but I can switch back to the stock fork in minutes if I want to.
    Bluto is worth it. Waiting for some nice 27.5+ rim/tire combos now. Either that or get some Vanhelgas when the HuDu's wear out.

mtbr member
    I think you'd have to be very fast to get the benefit out of a full sus fatbike. Otherwise you're just hauling around redundant weight.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by not2shabby View Post
    Not sure what hubs you have but Hauck makes spacers so you can run a Bluto on a 135mm Hope, I-9, or Salsa hub. I had to get a machine shop to make a set for the Bontrager hub. Not cheap but I can switch back to the stock fork in minutes if I want to.
    Bluto is worth it. Waiting for some nice 27.5+ rim/tire combos now. Either that or get some Vanhelgas when the HuDu's wear out.
    I have the stock 135mm hub that came on my Fatboy. Will the Hauck spacer work on that?

Checked out the Hauck website and it appears to be down.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Probably won't work on Fatboy hubs. He doesn't make them for Bontrager either which I believe he's missing out on a lot of sales. Here's the 3 he does make.
    If you have a machinist friend they could make you a set. I called a bunch of local shops and finally found one that would do it. It was cheaper than a new hub and getting the wheel relaced. Plus I can switch back to the stock fork using the same wheel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Oops. Bad link. Just go to ebay and search for Hauck spacers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I'm currently riding a Mutz and since riding it these past few months I can't see myself using the 29 fs, which really is a shame. I can't bring myself to sell it and will keep it to ride with friends. I reAlly like the stability of the fat tires and I find them so much more confidence inspiring. It mAkes me a better rider.

mtbr member
    I just put a set of wider rims with Ardent 2.4's on my fs 29er in hopes that I will ride it more this summer. I rode the Fatboy all last summer.
    2014 Specialized Fatboy
    2011 Gary Fisher Utopia
    2007 Specialized Roubaix

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by blidner View Post
    I reAlly like the stability of the fat tires and I find them so much more confidence inspiring.
    I've been thinking about that part of it as well. I have 2 bad knees that I don't need to mess up anymore if I were to take a spill.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by blidner View Post
    I'm currently riding a Mutz and since riding it these past few months I can't see myself using the 29 fs, which really is a shame. I can't bring myself to sell it and will keep it to ride with friends. I reAlly like the stability of the fat tires and I find them so much more confidence inspiring. It mAkes me a better rider.
    This^. The fatty is just so much easier to ride in the roots and rocks. It beat me up less than the 29er even before I got the Bluto. Granted, the fork on the 29er wasn't that great. XC32 IIRC.

mtbr member
    I just got my daughter a 29er for her 12th birthday because she said she wants to start trail riding with me. Since she's already pretty good with bike camping/touring stuff I felt pretty excited to have a riding buddy. The only mountain bike I have these days is my Pugsley- sold my last hardtail one to build up my big Dummy to haul the kids around on when they were younger. The Pug works ok, but I feel the itch for something more as she gets faster- and I get older/slower.

Cheapest, and easiest, option is to pick up a 2014 FS 29er from one of the local shops. I've never owned a FS bike, or a 29er, before so it's kind of an unknown to me. All of my previous bikes have been 26er's and most have been rigid. The 29er would be something new to play with.

Of course, that was before I tried the new Mukluk 2 with the Bluto on it. That bike was a tank and seemed to be more fun to ride, albeit a bit slower than the 29er's I tried. The Mukluk is quite a bit more than the closeout 29er's I was looking at and it would make the Pug redundant so I would end up selling it. This would free up more space in the garage, but not sure if I would be gaining anything. No doubt the 29er is faster, but i'm not racing or riding with a group- just my kids.

Looking through here it seems as if most peoples 29er's are gathering dust after they went fat. Trying to decided if it would end up just taking up space and still leave me wanting for a something else in the future.

I did try out a couple of ice cream trucks and liked the geometry better than that on my pug. Going that route would cost even more but give me more tire options in the future. Lots of nice bikes to choose from these days.

After looking through some of the threads on here I started to wonder about putting a lefty on the Pugsley, but am not sure how the geometry on that would compare to the mukluk 2 or the Ice Cream Truck.

First world problems- I know.

Jon

aka bOb
    Last year was the first summer since the initial fat kool aide rush wore off that I spent more time on the fatty than my xc 29er fully and it was due to Bluto. Still there where times when my fat bike would get a little over whelmed or when putting a ton a miles on with a lot of climbing and I just plain would get tuckered out faster on my fat bike. So this year I opted to lighten the fatty up some with some faster wheels and tires for a faster xc type rig and build a good trail/enduro bike for when the time calls for rougher duties which might not be often but will be fun none the less. Right now I think I have about the ultimate 3 bike quiver....... till I get bored anyways

Teen Wolf
    i'm not ditching my regular mountain bikes, per se, but i am not really planning on riding them much this summer. i don't really care about going super fast anymore, i'm more about having fun and getting the most out of my ride, so the fat bike will get the nod this summer. if i have a hankering for ripping, i'll probably grab my 29er, go rip around, and then put it away again. having options is what works for me, i have a garage full of them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Bdundee...

Missed out on that 2014 giant. Didn't last long at that price.

Oh well...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Get a bluto. Ride the heck out of the fatbike while saving up for a fs for next year in case you feel limited in someway.

mtbr member
    2 bikes is better than 1

Rippin da fAt
    WTB Scraper rim BTI | 27.5" (650b) Rims from WTB

WTB Trail Blazer 650b 2.8 BTI | 27.5" (650b) Tires from WTB

These are looking quite nice for a summer setup on a fatty. Would make a fatty look like it went to weightwathcers! lol

mtbr member
    Bluto's won't work on a Pugsley. How much better/worse would a Lefty be? What kind of mods do you have to do to get it to fit a fatbike? Is it worth it to put a suspension fork on a Pugsley, or is the geometry all wrong?