Is bigger better?- Mtbr.com
    Dirt Huffer

Is bigger better?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is bigger better?-winter-cycling-gear.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    When trying to keep warm, no, bigger is not better. Looks like it's designed by someone that does not actually need to use one but wants to capitalize on the idea. When it's -20 C what's going to stop that cold air from entering?, stop your body heat from escaping?

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    When trying to keep warm, no, bigger is not better. Looks like it's designed by someone that does not actually need to use one but wants to capitalize on the idea. When it's -20 C what's going to stop that cold air from entering?, stop your body heat from escaping?
    Actually I believe these might be Dogwood pogies made up in AK for people who ride some very cold temps. I guarantee there has been more sets of these crossing the finish line of the ITI than any other pogie ever made
    Last edited by bdundee; 01-07-2016 at 10:50 AM.

beer thief
    Doubles as a bivy sack?
    Last edited by Bikin' Bric; 01-07-2016 at 01:11 PM.

aka bOb
    Oh and from my personal experience at least on the lighter weight Dogwood pogies they are absolutely blazing hot, almost in excess for WI.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm curious what the deal with those is. I have a set of the overstuffed Dogwoods which I love when it gets nasty cold out..
    Last edited by Bikin' Bric; 01-07-2016 at 01:06 PM.

Ambassador of Chub
    Ok, if the question is literally - are bigger pogies better? I would generally say no. I think you need enough room for your hands to move a round a little, and that's it. Much like any other insulating layer, having an excess of space inside is just more air that needs to be warmed up and kept that way. A more trim pogie is going to be more efficient, imo.

That said, The Dogwoods are awesome and seriously warm.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If they are just hand warmers and don't serve some other purpose as well, why are they so big? Isn't there a combination of higher performance materials (more expensive of course) that could accomplish the same thing at 1/2to3/4 that size. Boots, on your other hard to keep warm extremities, aren't so disproportionate.

Human Test Subject
    I have the lightweight dogwood pogies and they're great. I don't use them above like 5F, though. I think the gal in the pic might be tiny because they don't look quite so big on my bike.
    Last edited by Bikin' Bric; 01-07-2016 at 01:07 PM.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have a pair of dogwoods and bar mitts(s/m). The bar mitts are smaller and seem to heat up faster but I haven't used them below 20 F. I have used the dogwoods below 0 F. Once they get warm, the dogwoods are nice. Wish my model had vent zipper.

aka bOb
    These are very big compared to my Dogwoods. That being said I like the little bigger design of mine, I can keep my snacks warm inside.

All fat, all the time.
    My Moose mitts look even smaller than the ones on the left. Never had an issue with cold hands.
    Last edited by Bikin' Bric; 01-07-2016 at 01:08 PM.

since 4/10/2009
    Those pogies look big enough to put on OVER a less warm pair in more extreme conditions. They're too big and floppy-looking for me to want to use them on their own.

mtbr member
    I dunno, they look fine to me.

Is bigger better?-w-giant-koozie-hand29218.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    It's just the wide angle lens shot up close that makes them look so huge. I don't think Dogwood Designs have a new, third, super big design. I have both the lighter weight Dogwood and the heavier weight ones as well as a set of Revelate pogies. The Revelate pogies have a removeable inner liner that allows you to buy just one set of pogies and use them when it's cold and when it's not so cold. Dogwood are good pogies but the warmer version are probably over kill for most folks in the deep south....like Montana or Wyoming...