Big Ed Vs CAAD 2- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Big Ed Vs CAAD 2

Hello all,

Wanting to get into riding and looking at these 2 bikes. Both seem to be priced within a couple $100 of each other but the Big Ed has the shock. I test rode the Big Ed and the shock definitely smoothed out the ride. Didnt get a chance to ride the CAAD yet but it I liked the way it felt. The LBS had one set up in large with no pedals and I didnt have the time but will go back or try to find a shop that has one set up in Med. I guess the question is about the shock and the importance. I dont plan on doing any extreme riding...mainly road, light trails up and downhill. The Ed has the remote lockout which seems nice but not sure if the shock will just add another maintenance issue.

Thanks for any opinions, help or other comparable options in that price range....$2K

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Also, forgot that I was also looking at the Alaskan Alloy or Carbon

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Check out a Specialized Fatboy. It's what I got. I tried the new Trek Farley series, Framed series of bikes(Minnesota/Alaskan), Surly, and the Specialized. The Spesh rides so nice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Specialized also having sales on 2016 models so you might be able to find something in your budget that wouldn't have been a few months ago. I just ordered a specialized Fat Boy pro trail with a list price of $4200. I got it for $2600 out the door from the LBS.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Djphelan01 View Post
    Specialized also having sales on 2016 models so you might be able to find something in your budget that wouldn't have been a few months ago. I just ordered a specialized Fat Boy pro trail with a list price of $4200. I got it for $2600 out the door from the LBS.
    Yeah, I got my wif 2016 wih the carbon fork, and1X drivetrain for 1350.00

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    So seems like no one so far considers the shock much of a necessity? Adjusting the tire pressure workso fine?

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by RainRay View Post
    So seems like no one so far considers the shock much of a necessity? Adjusting the tire pressure workso fine?

depends on the type of terrain you ride and how compliant your elbows want to be.

Adjusting tire pressure down to compensate for lack of suspension zaps energy, IMHO.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    The tyres and the pressures work well - up to a point.

It's possible to dial in a very compliant ride that has better small bump sensitivity than many shocks but the cut-off point is rather sudden and you're abruptly reminded you're riding a rigid bike with big bouncy tyres and no damping

When this happens depends on you and where you ride and to a certain extent you can mitigate it by riding with a bit more finesse but sometimes (repeated hits for example) things start to get ugly very quickly.

On familiar terrain it's not too bad because you know what's coming and ride accordingly but on new trails with a degree of recklessness it's hard work.

mtbr member
    My wife has a 2016 Big Ed and loves the thing. She also has a 27+ wheelset for it with 3" tires and rocks that as an alternative summer ride as well.

for the price the Ed's spec was very competitive compared to teh Fat Boys, etc.

I have not seen the CAAD but rode a lefty for 8 years and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Cannondale per se, however the latest generation of Lefties are less serviceable by dealers than before and require much more love than a Bluto will to stay in top running order.
    2016 Pivot Mach 429er Pro 1X
    2008 Cannondale Rush
    2001 Ibis Ripley Soft Tail
    1997 Ibis Alibi HT
    Motobecane Lurch Fat Bike

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    If all you do with it is ride on snow then no a shock isn't necessary.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Thanks all for the replies. Looking at this right now as a very good possibility.

Growler Fat Bikes

Seems like the price and components with the bluto is a great value. Only thing is they can't ship till November and I'm not very patient. Besides the components they also paint in house so I can choose what ever color combo I want. Anyone test ride o e of these yet? They have a 30 day guaranteeif not satisfied but would rather be satisfied