Better all around snow tire?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Better all around snow tire?

So I'm looking out my window at my Arctic Cat M8 in the front yard. It has a long track for flotation (BFL) but it also has 2 1/4" paddles (Nate) on the track for grab. Which is more important and better all around? Obviously there are alot of different snow conditions.
    I'm new to the snow bike gig but am excited to add another winter sport to life here in Valdez.
    Also needed to up my post count.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I think the Husker Du will be the killer snow tire. Although Larry did pretty well for me last winter. It all depends on the type of snow.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BradA57 View Post
    So I'm looking out my window at my Arctic Cat M8 in the front yard. It has a long track for flotation (BFL) but it also has 2 1/4" paddles (Nate) on the track for grab. Which is more important and better all around? Obviously there are alot of different snow conditions.
    I'm new to the snow bike gig but am excited to add another winter sport to life here in Valdez.
    Also needed to up my post count.
    I think it's kind of a different deal. Huge track on a snowmachine means it floats on powder and needs big paddles to get traction in loose snow. Fatbikes with current tires don't approach the low psi of long tracks, Mostly we ride on at least semi packed so really big knobs just break through the snowpack and cause us to sink. We are somewhat limited on power output too, at least I am. So far at least in my experience no fatbike tire will "float" on deep loose powder. We either get through it to a hard bottom or die.
    I'm holding out hope for Husker Du but for me Larry Endo combo works pretty good.

Fatback
    The paddles on your AC are for deep powder, which we are not usually able to ride. Being a bit of a sledhead myself, I can appreciate what the modern paddles do, but I'd put money on it that those tires will roll quite a bit slower than the Endos and Larrys most of the time. When I cut off all the lugs from my old school rig years ago, it increased the speed considerably.
    Speedway Cycles owner http://fatbackbikes.com

Caveman
    dual Larry's are a sure thing, the new offerings look gripper but slower.

mtbr member
    Lately I have been riding a Larry front Nate rear...on the east coast where I live the snow can get pretty hard so I think that this combo will work best for our conditions here.. Plus the Nate will be easily studded for F&R Nate use.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the replies.
    Wasn't thinking that I could run deep powder with my Pugs, that's what the M8 is for!
    It will be interesting to see what combos work best and where.