mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Best tire/wheel set up for loose snow

I'm new to fat bikes and this forum so I apologize in advance if my question has already been covered. I have a new 9:zero:7 with 190mm rear hub. The wheels are Marge lite with Larry and Nate tires. Tires are set at 8 lbs. The set up works great on packed snow but not good in fresh. I went out in 3 inches of new snow yesterday and noticed that the Larry would not handle - in fact seemed dangerous on turns and descents. The Nates grip well until I try to climb. I think I need to go to larger rims and wheels for these conditions. Would the Bud and Lou with 80 or 100 mm rims cut it especially for climbing. Do I need a more aggressive front tire to keep from skidding? Thanks.

If you have a 190 rear end, no reason to run a 3.8 tire

Pretty much everyone who has ever put a bud and lou on has been happy with it... other than those few who want to go a bajillion mph on a fat bike. Otherwise in the more decent-price range... there is much love for the 4" On-One Floater.
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I tried to save weight on the tires thinking they would be good for most conditions where I live. I found out the hard way I was wrong. The Bud tread pattern looks more aggressive the Larry but the net question is 80 vs 100 mm rims. Will it make a big difference considering the weight differential?

Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim22 View Post
    I tried to save weight on the tires thinking they would be good for most conditions where I live. I found out the hard way I was wrong. The Bud tread pattern looks more aggressive the Larry but the net question is 80 vs 100 mm rims. Will it make a big difference considering the weight differential?
    I thought I remember seeing that the clown shoe rim is actually slightly lighter than a holy rolling daryll. Either way... weird (in my humble opinion) to get a 190 rear end bike that was designed to run 100/4.8 and then put on marge lite and 3.8's. Could have just got a regular 170 or 135 then. I can't give you much in the form of experience with others, as I've only had 100 and 4.8's... I need all the float I can get as I ride trails with not much traffic to pack.

Edit: just looked online - Clownshoe is 100g heavier than HRD... so not much difference if you have light hubs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    I thought I remember seeing that the clown shoe rim is actually slightly lighter than a holy rolling daryll. Either way... weird (in my humble opinion) to get a 190 rear end bike that was designed to run 100/4.8 and then put on marge lite and 3.8's. Could have just got a regular 170 or 135 then. I can't give you much in the form of experience with others, as I've only had 100 and 4.8's... I need all the float I can get as I ride trails with not much traffic to pack.
    Thanks for the input. The 190mm was the only frame option my LBS had but now I'm glad I have it. I'll be going "fatter". Recommendations on tire pressure for climbing in loose snow?

Depends on your weight... but I was down around 5 psi (probably lower) on Saturday in some loose and also packed mixed snow (MN). Your 9zero7 doesn't happen to be silver does it?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Depends on your weight... but I was down around 5 psi (probably lower) on Saturday in some loose and also packed mixed snow (MN). Your 9zero7 doesn't happen to be silver does it?
    No - mine's black.

K... I just happened to be out for a ride with a buddy on Saturday and some guy we hadn't seen before came by to chat with a silver 907 who said he just got it. Thought I'd ask

mtbr member
    Bud/Lou on Clownshoes FTW!
    The LPG

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I agree if you've got a 190 you might as well go fatter but you might want to play with your tire pressure just a bit before you drop the cash. 8 psi can be fairly high depending on your weight and the conditions. I'm 190 and get out on trails that get snowmachine packed and find myself running 2-3 psi on the first day or so after a storm and don't usually get up past 5 psi until the snow has really started to set.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    This:
    Quote Originally Posted by telebreeze View Post
    I agree if you've got a 190 you might as well go fatter but you might want to play with your tire pressure just a bit before you drop the cash. 8 psi can be fairly high depending on your weight and the conditions. I'm 190 and get out on trails that get snowmachine packed and find myself running 2-3 psi on the first day or so after a storm and don't usually get up past 5 psi until the snow has really started to set.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Yep, the first place you need to start is with lowering your tire pressure. It's a rare day that my bike sees 8 psi in the snow.