mtbr member

New question here. Best tire patch kit?

Hey guys, I am looking for a way to patch tires while out on the trail/road.

The wife had a flat on her road bike and had to walk a mile or two home as she didnt have a patch kit. This got me thinking.

So I am curious what you guys use? I would like to get a kit for my moonlander along with one for her roadbike.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I think the best route is to run tubeless with Stan's. I wasn't a true believer until I pulled a 1.5 inch thorn out of my tire and with a little jiggling and bubbling the Stan's fixed it right up.

banned
    Sep 2008
    One year ago I was riding my brand new 120tpi knards on my local trails which are very rocky, some sharp like coral and i leaned into a corner and tore a vertical gash in the sidewall over an inch long. No tire out there or toobless setup with a ton of stanz woulda avoided or fixed it. The park tire boot saved the day and a year later of riding daily it's still going strong. After putting the tire boot in I dripped some Krazy glue on the outside of the tire where the 1/4 inch wide gash is and still shows the boot on the inside just to help secure things and to keep the gash from spreading. Works perfect.

Park tire boot. Buy one and keep it with you

MPE
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I have just used a cheap Bell kit from Walmart that seems to work. For the past year, I have been carrying a spare tube. Then I patch the leaky tube when I get home. It then becomes the spare.

Take care,

Mike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    One year ago I was riding my brand new 120tpi knards on my local trails which are very rocky, some sharp like coral and i leaned into a corner and tore a vertical gash in the sidewall over an inch long. No tire out there or toobless setup with a ton of stanz woulda avoided or fixed it. The park tire boot saved the day and a year later of riding daily it's still going strong. After putting the tire boot in I dripped some Krazy glue on the outside of the tire where the 1/4 inch wide gash is and still shows the boot on the inside just to help secure things and to keep the gash from spreading. Works perfect.

Park tire boot. Buy one and keep it with you
    What makes the park boot different from any other patch kit?

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MTFATBIKER View Post
    What makes the park boot different from any other patch kit?
    do not use a patch kit to repair a tire. the tire boot from park is WAAAAAAAY stronger than any glue on patch. tube repair patches are designed to work best with tubes, not tires.

Are you talking about tubes or tires?

For small holes, any decent patch kit will do. For gashes, I carry a needle/thread kit. One of those curved needles and a strong thread.

Idea is from this site I stumbled on a while ago:

Tubeless Tire Sidewall Repair | Rocks N Blogs

mtbr member
    Well I would like to be able to repair a flat while out on the trail. I have some stans in my fat bike tires. I have not went tubeless yet.

The wifes road bike needs whatever so she can repair it when she gets a flat. I have slime in the tires.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MTFATBIKER View Post
    Well I would like to be able to repair a flat while out on the trail. I have some stans in my fat bike tires. I have not went tubeless yet.

The wifes road bike needs whatever so she can repair it when she gets a flat. I have slime in the tires.
    tube repair=patch kit. tire repair=tire boot Park Tool Co. TB-2 : Emergency Tire Boot : Tube & Tire

i run tubes (26x2.4-2.75, soon to be 24's) in my fatty. when i know i'm riding where it's thorny i put 2 oz of stanz in my tubes. works perfect and never any mess either way.

mtbr member
    Copy. Thanks

banned
    Sep 2008
    my pleasure

mtbr member
    So I got my park tool patches in along with a generic patch kit off amazon. I kept 2 of the park patches for my moony, the other patch along with the generic kit went on the wifes bike.
    Surley Moonlander
    Revelate Designs Custom In frame pack
    Front/Rear Mud Flaps

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    If you have not had to patch in the field, might be a good idea to practice, and ride the patched tubes to build up some confidence. I catch some good natured ribbing for riding patched tubes, but I am doing it so that I know I can. Walking home, or even out of the singletrack park is just something I never want to do.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Patched toobs are fine so long as you patched correctly. I've had the same patched toobs for a year with 4 oz of dried into balls stans sealant in there that just rolls around inside the toobs. Thump thump, thump thump, thump thump............the toobs still hold air perfect. Ripped em for 60 miles on sunday. Thump thump, thump thump, thump thump. No matter, just push on the fvckin pedals like it's yer job

mtbr member
    I carry glue less patches and the Park Vulcanizing patches which I hear will typically work on a tubeless setup. Knock on wood I've not had to try it. Noticed my Park tire boot is missing, thanks for the heads up. Also, my kit is stored on one of those water-bottle like contraptions which keeps a small Lezyne pump dry. So far the only action my repair kit has seen is on other people's fatties

Rocking on a Rocky
    If you are patching an under sized tubes like a 2.5- 2.7 get some universal rubber glue and cut patches from an old tube.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Fresh patches and glue. Nothing worse than dried glue and old patches from an years old patch kit

Pedaling