Best rim for a fat unicycle- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Best rim for a fat unicycle

I finally got a conundrum frame, and would like to build it up, but haven't been able to find one of the old large marge DH rims that it was designed around. I'm slightly worried about the durability due to the sheer abuse I plan on putting it under. I've been considering a Marge lite, or an unholy rolling darryl on the more expensive side, and a cheap, double-walled 36 hole rim on the cheaper side.

I'm around 170 lbs and plan on using it for everything from singletrack, to rock gardens, to snow.

What's tough as snot out there? and if I get a cheaper double walled rim, will that added weight equal more durability? I've seen a couple of companies that make them, but I wouldn't mind links to a couple more.

My other conundrum (pun intended) is that I have many more hub options in a 36 spoke option (the unicycle standard right now). The nicer rims all seem to be 32, with the exception of the hard-to-find 72 hole darryl.

(will be running a 3.8 larry, probably upgrading to a 3.8 nate at some point, but the larry I already have.)

Anchorage, AK
    You can get Nextie rims, which are fat and strong carbon rims, made with 36 holes.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Those are awesome, but expensive. I know it's quite a lot of carbon under you, but I've still got all my weight on one wheel, and if the cycle falls it tumbles, so I would be weary about a bad fall cracking a carbon rim. I want to go more for the cheap and durable. I don't much care for light, and the truth is, on a unicycle, that rolling weight helps you keep your momentum to get over obstacles easier.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by juggleaddict View Post
    Those are awesome, but expensive. I know it's quite a lot of carbon under you, but I've still got all my weight on one wheel, and if the cycle falls it tumbles, so I would be weary about a bad fall cracking a carbon rim. I want to go more for the cheap and durable. I don't much care for light, and the truth is, on a unicycle, that rolling weight helps you keep your momentum to get over obstacles easier.
    I have/love Nextie rims on my fatbike, but I wouldn't recommend the Nextie rims for a muni. Durable to lots of things, but not rock hits or low-pressure/single-wheel abuse.

I have one Large Marge (doublewall) XC rim left in 32h. Must have been waiting for you to come along!

Also have 4 of the 72h Darryls on the shelf.

Lemme know if I can help.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I have/love Nextie rims on my fatbike, but I wouldn't recommend the Nextie rims for a muni. Durable to lots of things, but not rock hits or low-pressure/single-wheel abuse.

I have one Large Marge (doublewall) XC rim left in 32h. Must have been waiting for you to come along!

Also have 4 of the 72h Darryls on the shelf.

Lemme know if I can help.
    I shot an email out to you yesterday. Either one of those sounds like it would work brilliantly.

I shot an email out to you yesterday. Either one of those sounds like it would work brilliantly.
    Don't think I've seen anything from you, or about a muni setup. Try again? [email protected]

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Don't think I've seen anything from you, or about a muni setup. Try again? [email protected]
    gave it another go, may want to check spam folder. I did notice I wasn't able to get to your site earlier, and I got this email kicked back because it looks like you may be offline.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Tried again and the email got kicked back. Looks like you're site is down as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Juggleaddict,

I'm using a ChoppersUs rim on my new Walt works mega fatty (I go by Killian on Unicyclist [long story]).

I still say that any of the double wall rims even though heavy should be adequately strong, so Weinmann rims, Origin8 rims, Choppersus rims, etc.

Also worth checking out is Robsson rims on Robsson.de.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkers View Post
    I still say that any of the double wall rims even though heavy should be adequately strong, so Weinmann rims, Origin8 rims, Choppersus rims, etc.

Also worth checking out is Robsson rims on Robsson.de.
    That double walled Weinmann 80mm looks reeeally good. Like a rolling Darryl but built. Cheap too. I found a deal on a marge lite used for around 70 after shipping, but that dhl80 may be the ticket. . . now all I need is a KH 32 hub right? ;P

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Indeed. I'm surprised KH hasn't jumped into the 32h market yet. I wish all of our manufacturers would just switch over. Would make it far easier to use better rims.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I understand the hesitation. I break enough spokes as it is, though I'll be honest, all of them have been on the 36. Amazing to go through 2 wheel builds with the same tire. I don't know about spoke, rim, and hub technology and its progress over the years, but I'm sure there's justification to lowering the spoke count. Even the bikes that being downright abused are using 32 spoke stuff now. maybe he's saving it for a refresher model. : P I'd really settle for him selling his stuff direct.

Tried again and the email got kicked back. Looks like you're site is down as well.
    Yep, just learned that, too. Gah.

[email protected] works.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    You don't want a large marge, they weigh a ton.

A large marge lite is a good choice, really any fat rim will be strong enough for muni. Muni is not hard on rims.

Nimbus has 32h and 36h hubs in 100mm widths. Don't worry about the holes, just cover them with a liner.

If you want to send me a pm I'll be happy to suggest fat muni tires that don't autosteer.

Also, you should head over to the unicyclist forum, mtbr ain't the place to ask about unis...

Hey Killian, what's with the "shinkers"? Sounds like a disease you get on your privates

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Hey Killian, what's with the "shinkers"? Sounds like a disease you get on your privates

Thanks for the morning laugh

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    You don't want a large marge, they weigh a ton.

A large marge lite is a good choice, really any fat rim will be strong enough for muni. Muni is not hard on rims.

Nimbus has 32h and 36h hubs in 100mm widths. Don't worry about the holes, just cover them with a liner.

If you want to send me a pm I'll be happy to suggest fat muni tires that don't autosteer.

Also, you should head over to the unicyclist forum, mtbr ain't the place to ask about unis...

This guy...

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    lol, this thread is getting deliciously out of hand.

And see Ben, you've highlighted my hesitation. Is a marge lite all I really need?

I figured if I sparked enough fires, one would catch and someone would have a large marge rim sitting around lonely in a garage, just waiting to be reborn anew.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    It will be tough to find a decent 36h rim, so you're better off if you start with a 32h hub.

Here's the Nimbus 32h hub: Nimbus ISIS Wide Hub (32 Hole) | Unicycle.com

Nimbus makes great hubs, no failure issues.

As for rims, you can go two ways:

You can run a narrower rim and save some weight and mass. I run a Nimbus Stealth 45mm on my 24" Conundrum, it's not the lightest, but it was available and cheap. My 24 x 4" tire is a little narrower than the Larry (~3.25").

You can run a wider rim like the Marge Lite or similar, this will flatten out the tire profile which will slow down the responsiveness, this can be good or bad.

A narrower rim will round the tire profile a bit, this will quicken handling, but it was also quicken handling...and that's not always what you want.

A single wall rim is fine, esp one without holes.

lol, this thread is getting deliciously out of hand.

And see Ben, you've highlighted my hesitation. Is a marge lite all I really need?

I figured if I sparked enough fires, one would catch and someone would have a large marge rim sitting around lonely in a garage, just waiting to be reborn anew.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I found a pretty good deal on a marge lite. I think I'm going to give that a go. Should just be a leaner, meaner conundrum, but all the spacing will be the same as the original large marge. I dug up some of the old threads, and people, even on unicycles, were complaining about the weight.

See how it goes.

If I break it, it won't be the end of the world, I figure I can always build it up again.

I'm trying to build this one myself : ) Wish me luck. I'll send pics when I break a spoke and it goes through my calf.