Best Fender for Protection (Circumference Coverage)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Best Fender for Protection (Circumference Coverage)

What is the best protection against mud, rain and dirt for fenders?

Is it going from 3 o'clock all the way to the crank?
    Also how far away from the tire is the best?

I have a fender with no brackets, plus its a front that I am putting on the back. It will mount on nice to the cross member on the seat stays, then also bolt onto the rear seat post rack solidly. Doing it that way mounts it solidly but it stops at like 1 o'clock.

edit: I forgot to mention its a 4" wide tire, but the fender comes up just short, I am not worried about it. I am just tired of getting soaked and dirty. The new fat bike fenders are expensive, I have not been able to find any cheap ones that arent a piece of plastic that you zip tie to the frame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Why do you want to protect your fenders from rain and mud? LOL
    You could just keep the fender at home.

I crack myself up sometimes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I dont see the need for these types of fenders, as there would be more debris and liquids getting past the mud guards.

Best Fender for Protection (Circumference Coverage)-1103723d1478316117-mud-hugger-fenders-bl04olg0xvs8d0q2zf4durxtfsvfaeqmmprwzzvxqb4-2048x1536.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best Fender for Protection (Circumference Coverage)-s-l1000.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Best Fender for Protection (Circumference Coverage)

Quote Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
    .....I have not been able to find any cheap ones that arent a piece of plastic that you zip tie to the frame.
    Donít overthink it. Those can work just fine. I have a 4Ēwide strip that runs from the base of the head tube all the way down just past the BB. Then another behind the seat tube that runs from the underside of the seat stays down to the chain stays. PDW mud shovel clamped on the seatpost to shield back tire spray from the back.

The style you show on the forks helps to keep the stanctions and seals clean with a little bit of help for water that goes flinging off the tire up and out in front of you that you then ride into.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The rear seems to be the easiest as I have a seat post rack. Could be as simple as plastic corrugated board (election signs) and zip ties. The front, I have fenders for 26" but not 26x4" = 29" diameter.

Still not able to find fat fenders. MEC our REI doesnt sell anything. Chain Reaction Cycle my normal go to doesnt sell any, but they do sell the ones in the picture. I guess I could check out JensonUSA, Niagara, Modern which are all USA based.
    Last edited by matt4x4; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I cut a slit about 2" wide by 6" long in the middle of the mud guard, so my metal fender would sit nicely with the seat post rack in the middle. The 29" of the tire on the 26x4 gives it quite an arc and I found the back of the fender had less room between the tire and fender. Used a drill so zip ties could secure the metal fender to the seat stay cross member up by the seat post. Then I drilled 2 holes through the beefy middle section of the rack and put some zip ties through and around the one side, 4 in total for the 2x6 hole I made. 1 for the seat stay brace, then one more zip tie because there were already two holes in the fender about 5" from the brace. I did the obligatory melting of the sharp ends of the zip ties. Those are the worst.

It is basically this, but mine goes to about 2 o'clock and stays within 4" of the arch of the tire.

In the second picture, I have that kind of mud guard, but I tend to stay well away from my bike to look like a motorcycle, for obvious reasons. What I will most likely do is modify a 26" front fender, or try to find used fat fenders.

Best Fender for Protection (Circumference Coverage)-s-l1000.jpg

Best Fender for Protection (Circumference Coverage)-550240d1276665941-rear-triangle-mounted-mudguard-fender-mojofenderssidesmall.jpg

mtbr member
    I made my own from Kydex, a heat moldable plastic used to make gun holsters. It is easily shaped with a heat gun and when cooled will take the shape it was in last. I bought the fender mounts online and added the kydex to my specific bike, giving it max coverage.

Just an idea.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
    The front, I have fenders for 26" but not 26x4" = 29" diameter.

Still not able to find fat fenders.
    What people have been doing is buying a fender for a 29er then splitting it lengthwise. Then adding an additional strip of plastic down the center to make it wider and gluing/riveting/screwing the 3 pieces back together. There have been some how-to's in the past.

There are also some custom made fenders that are hand bent and laminated wood. Fine woodworking style.