Best clipless pedals for sand?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2013

Best clipless pedals for sand?

During my beach ride today my pedals got very hard to get out of. So much so that I fell over and slightly strained my knee. I'm currently using a new pair of Shimano PD-M324 dual platform/clipless. I must have gotten sand in there. I need something that will not do this. I guess the pedals that work well in mud would be good.

Eggbeaters? Candies? Something else?

turtles make me hot
    I use Mallets but Eggs or Candies use the same mechanism so whatever you like...

I've never been able to clog a Crankbros pedal.
    I like turtles

This place needs an enema
    Any crank brothers pedals work great in sand.

They are also horribly unreliable -- thus when I used them I always, always had at least one spare set laying around.

mtbr member
    After 2K beach miles I settled on mallets (Wellgo MG-1). Tried SPDs for a fair distance, say 500 miles and they just clog & bind. Beach pace say at 7-8 mph and slow crawl in soft sand means frequent unclipping anyway and I just got tired of fighting the clips.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Any crank brothers pedals work great in sand.

They are also horribly unreliable -- thus when I used them I always, always had at least one spare set laying around.
    Mike, have you tried em recently? The newer generations of pedals have lasted way longer than my older ones.
    I like turtles

Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Mike, have you tried em recently? The newer generations of pedals have lasted way longer than my older ones.
    I don't doubt it. But then, how could they not have improved?

I broke 14 sets in one calendar year, and only because they were replacing them with 2 sets for every one that died did I stick with them. Finally, after 3 broken ribs caused by an axle that sheared on a flat section of trail, on a set of pedals that were new-in-box/installed that morning, I cried uncle. Sent the whole pile back in, asked for an equivalent number of multi-tools back. Now I (and the mrs) both have quality multi-tools in every backpack and seatbag, and Shimano pedals on every bike.

When I ride beach I switch to flats.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Saw an article on Bikerumor or Bikeradar a little while back where they toured Crank Bros. headquarters, and somebody at the bottom section in the comments asked "Did they show you the room where they keep all their broken parts". I'll pass.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I don't doubt it. But then, how could they not have improved?

I broke 14 sets in one calendar year, and only because they were replacing them with 2 sets for every one that died did I stick with them. Finally, after 3 broken ribs caused by an axle that sheared on a flat section of trail, on a set of pedals that were new-in-box/installed that morning, I cried uncle. Sent the whole pile back in, asked for an equivalent number of multi-tools back. Now I (and the mrs) both have quality multi-tools in every backpack and seatbag, and Shimano pedals on every bike.

When I ride beach I switch to flats.
    Wow! That's wild. Their customer service is great. I can't believe you broke so many. I've broken two. Haven't ruined any new ones.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks for all the input guys. I think I'll try the Crank bros Candy 3's. With an aluminum body and stainless springs. Apparently there is no better pedal type for the sand and mud stuff.

mtbr member
    Time ATAC pedals are similar to CB but with much better reliability.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    For every person that has these CB horror stories, I've got a couple opposite examples of people that have never had these kinds of problems.

Been riding them for over 10 years. Destroyed one pair in a massive rock strike...actually only bent the spindle, by all rights it should have completely sheared off. NO pedal would have survived that strike. Wore out my oldest set. Other than that every other pair I have owned are still in service.

Not sure what people are doing to their pedals...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WaywardTraveller View Post
    For every person that has these CB horror stories, I've got a couple opposite examples of people that have never had these kinds of problems.

Been riding them for over 10 years. Destroyed one pair in a massive rock strike...actually only bent the spindle, by all rights it should have completely sheared off. NO pedal would have survived that strike. Wore out my oldest set. Other than that every other pair I have owned are still in service.

I second this. I have had no issues after many years use of Eggs, Candy, Quattro etc.

The cheap Smarty's even lasted long enough before being tossed (not re-buildable)
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    One more vote for time pedals! Last forever, work great.
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

All fat, all the time.
    Beach riding so much more fun on flat pedals well, any type of riding for that matter

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ianick View Post
    Time ATAC pedals are similar to CB but with much better reliability.
    Yeah, I've been using these for 6+ years.

Extremely durable, just as mud-shedding as CB, and (seems like a no-brainer but hey, CB didn't think about it) separate top/bottom clips so hitting the bottom of the pedal on a rock won't unclip you.
    Yamaguchi Cross YT Jeffsy Salsa Mukluk & Vaya Canyon Commuter

Other than laying them on an anvil and whaling on them with a sledge? Or leaving them soaking in saltwater for 62 years? Not much.

Elitest thrill junkie
    50% reliability is piss-poor.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Elitest thrill junkie
    It's definitely not fair to judge shimano pedals by PD-M324s either, they are city pedals that are a very poor idea for any kind of mountain biking, as it's difficult moving on a trail to flip to the SPD mechanism, it's an old-style SPD mechanism, and they are poor flat pedals. If you are going to go flats, get good quality flats, they are miles better. If you are going to get SPDs, get good quality SPDs like 520s or 540s, they are miles better. The 324s are the worst of both. The modern SPD mechanism found on the 520s and up is an "open" design that clears mud and muck far better than before. In some conditions, namely warm (near freezing) slush can pack up a bit, but I've never not been able to clip in with a little stomping and of course no issues most of the time in the snow, because the mech clears way better than the old 737 design of before. The time/CB mech might still be the best for mud, but the modern SPD design is pretty good, much improved, and those 324s are not a good way to judge where to go for serious clipless pedals IME.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    It's definitely not fair to judge shimano pedals by PD-M324s either, they are city pedals that are a very poor idea for any kind of mountain biking, as it's difficult moving on a trail to flip to the SPD mechanism, it's an old-style SPD mechanism, and they are poor flat pedals. If you are going to go flats, get good quality flats, they are miles better. If you are going to get SPDs, get good quality SPDs like 520s or 540s, they are miles better. The 324s are the worst of both. The modern SPD mechanism found on the 520s and up is an "open" design that clears mud and muck far better than before. In some conditions, namely warm (near freezing) slush can pack up a bit, but I've never not been able to clip in with a little stomping and of course no issues most of the time in the snow, because the mech clears way better than the old 737 design of before. The time/CB mech might still be the best for mud, but the modern SPD design is pretty good, much improved, and those 324s are not a good way to judge where to go for serious clipless pedals IME.

Yeah, I was unsure how I would use the bike and I thought they would cover all the bases. But like most things that are a compromise, they are not great at any one thing.
    But after using the bike for a while now I find myself always going for the clip-in. I'm just so used to that. So I'm going to go with the C B Mallets as per NYRR. Seeing as how he lives in the same area and rides the same terrain. Plus I like the idea of the large platform for the times I'm not quite clicked in. Until I get them I will use my old Ritchies. They are hangin in there but like my knees they are developing some bearing play.